• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Write a novel in November! | NaNoWriMo 2017

Unicorn

Trying again. My first week is always strong then I fall off the wagon hard.

Gonna try to warm up myself the rest of this month with writing prompts. I should really try to get a plot or skeleton planned.

I managed to get through it last year, so I guess I'm in for it again this year.

I wanted to have a nice outline this time, but instead I've only got an outline for the first scene. >.>

Maybe I can improve on that before the start time.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Added novel to NaNo profile. Ooooo man... 4 year streak with a lifetime wordcount of 2609...

I've put more into the creative writing challenges than I have nano, and I almost never do that either...

YcAQlkx.gif

zulux21

Added novel to NaNo profile. Ooooo man... 4 year streak with a lifetime wordcount of 2609...

I've put more into the creative writing challenges than I have nano, and I almost never do that either...

For me there is a good chance I burn out by nano lol.

my writing count for the last 5 weeks or so

where the numbers are my words per day.

in oct so far I am actually already at a nano pace >.<:

I've been designing a D&D campaign for my group to play; trying to transform my ideas into a novel could be a fun way to build on it. Haven't written in years, and my short stories were always god awful, so I fully expect to fail... but I'm in

zulux21

I've been designing a D&D campaign for my group to play; trying to transform my ideas into a novel could be a fun way to build on it. Haven't written in years, and my short stories were always god awful, so I fully expect to fail... but I'm in

I was planning on trying to do that for Nano, but at the current pace things are going I won't get to that part in my story in time to kill two birds with one stone :/

Soulstar

I'm in again this year. I have a few ideas that have been bouncing around in my head. I need to decide which one I will do and actually get around to actually making an outline this time.

zulux21

I'm in again this year. I have a few ideas that have been bouncing around in my head. I need to decide which one I will do and actually get around to actually making an outline this time.

you should run with the idea that involves a main character that is missing a limb :p

I have a lot more time this year than last year, since I'm not in school and don't have any midterms to study for, so sign me up. I'm really excited for my novel this year. It's an idea I've had for a pretty long time, and I'm excited to finally bring it to fruition.

RedBoot

I'm on like a three year losing streak for this, but I had a decent-ish story idea pop out of nowhere the other day so let's jump right back into the fire! I should have marginally more free time this year than the last few anyway.

Did NaNo actually help you in any way with dead endings? I've always been curious but never seen all the details.

With finishing, or just the advent of it, or writing in general? Even though I only did 35k for it that first NaNo, it really meant everything as that's what I submitted to the publisher and got accepted initially (did you see the new print cover they did? :D). Would never have been motivated enough on my own to even get that far, much less finish. As for the following NaNo years where I've tried to use it to kick start my writing again...I'm just terrible. ^_^; Things like work and having babies keep getting in the way and I'm always too fried to focus (I think I've beaten your streak in terms of fails +word count)(haha). Book 2 (Dead Leads) is still in prog, so I'm hoping that just by posting in here even if I'm not joining will shame me into finishing before my deadline. NaNo is like a warm, ever-present beacon of shame saying, "Get off your ass!". I love it just for that. And you can do it! Year 5 for the win! Or if not, we can warm our hands over the bin fire together~

Lol.

I see what you mean though, personally I don't mind the challenge!

You're such a machine, though, Timu! Share some of that power, will ya?

Kalentan

I... I'll try again. I'm out of school but now my work schedule sucks (T-Sat, 2 - 11) but I'll try to make up for it by doing lots of work on Sat - Monday.

I know the rough idea of the story I wish to write. I'll make it easier on myself by getting a full big time outline ready.

Next I also been planning on getting an iPad which will allow me to also write during my work's lunch and breaks.

I can do this. I really feel like I need to.

mas8705

I've been able to do it once, but I've failed the last few times due to the lack of a drive. Hopefully I can change things around for this year and actually get my stories going for once. Is there a group in the Gaf for it? or is this thread as close to a group as we'll get?

Ogodei

Got my background check back, so i'll definitely be up for this now.

My motivation to write has gone to shit since Breath of the Wild came out. This'll be what i need to get my mojo back.

I'm in.

I'm really disappointed in myself for failing out last year and ruining my shot at a threepeat. But, I mean, hey. We all remember last November. I can't believe any of you were able to keep it going.

I've hesitated for the longest time, but I need to put my foot down and start writing more. I'm in. I hope I'll be able to accomplish this.

Timu

Guys, the best way to do Nano is to outline months in advance, hell take a year to outline and then you'll get to be able to write more and faster.

Sch1sm

Guys, the best way to do Nano is to outline months in advance, hell take a year to outline and then you'll get to be able to write more and faster.

I always forget about NaNo, and then it's here, and I've got 3 weeks to sort myself. Every time.

Weiss

Banned
Sure, why not. Got a lot of free time on my hands now.

I could try writing that bi guy story again. Or maybe the superhero one.

Are we allowed to start any outlining or plotting beforehand?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Managed to knock away one more chapter of the thing I was doing before this. I feel like I’m finishing one Nano right before starting another

I'm in! I won a few years ago but have failed in the years since. I like my premise this year, and I have some of it plotted out, so I'm hoping that'll be enough to carry me through.

Do y'all go to local write-ins? I'm going to try and make it to some this year.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
With finishing, or just the advent of it, or writing in general? Even though I only did 35k for it that first NaNo, it really meant everything as that's what I submitted to the publisher and got accepted initially (did you see the new print cover they did? :D). Would never have been motivated enough on my own to even get that far, much less finish. As for the following NaNo years where I've tried to use it to kick start my writing again...I'm just terrible. ^_^; Things like work and having babies keep getting in the way and I'm always too fried to focus (I think I've beaten your streak in terms of fails +word count)(haha).

Thanks. This is enough to get me rolling. Got some more fuel to outline and compost. Just tired of having these characters and world in my head and not out on paper. Driving me mad.

Book 2 (Dead Leads) is still in prog, so I'm hoping that just by posting in here even if I'm not joining will shame me into finishing before my deadline. NaNo is like a warm, ever-present beacon of shame saying, "Get off your ass!". I love it just for that. And you can do it! Year 5 for the win! Or if not, we can warm our hands over the bin fire together~

Well now that you've set an expectation I'd be disappointed if you didn't.

ZeroX03

Banned
Might attempt this. There's a 50/50 chance I'm going to have a big workload increase in November so it'll be dependent on that.

Was always a bit intimidated by 50k words, and have failed once a few years back, but recently had to write 60k words in three weeks for a project and ended up knocking it out of the park so suddenly this isn't so scary. Just have to ice my wrists after long sessions.

Top Bottom