• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Bank removed from Japanese 3DS eShop. Western release unclear

JoeM86

Nintendo have announced that they have temporarily removed Pokémon Bank from the Nintendo 3DS eShop.

This is following the massive influx of users on both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U coming on Christmas, plus the addition of Pokémon Bank causing the Nintendo Network to drive to a halt. This means users cannot download it anymore and currently cannot access the features of the game.

It is currently unclear when Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter will return, or if the western release is delayed.

They have made it clear that the 30 day trial for previously registered users will restart when it returns.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2013/1226.html

wsippel

Banned
If only they could have foreseen that releasing something at Christmas might not be a good idea!
Nintendo did a lot of things that put a lot of strain on the servers right before Christmas: NNID unification, Wii Sports and Wii Fit releases with free trials, sales, Pokémon Bank, all of that on top of all the new users trying to register an ID and update their systems - I have no idea what they were expecting.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Would love to know what the percentage splits on traffic are on whats screwing the network the most: new registrations, eShop access ddos surge, or Pokemon Bank. If a separate title and app is dragging down the entire commerce system that seems like a poor way to compartmentalize their services.

Did Pokemon break Nintendo online services ? LOL?!? Not sure how taxing the service is on the network , guess everyone are transferring their Pokemon.....

kiri

I got 2 boxes of legendaries moved over then it ground to halt. :/ Even paid my 500yen fee.....

I'm still waiting on redeeming my Zelda code too T_T

sakipon

Did Pokemon break Nintendo online services ? LOL?!? Not sure how taxing the service is on the network , guess everyone are transferring their Pokemon.....

Pokemon is both a blessing and a curse for Nintendo.

Also, damn you Poke fans for bringing eShop down for this long.

Muku

Pokémon Bank is now listed with a release date of TBD on the North American and European eShops.

Mannnnn. Just finished moving Pokemon to Box 1 (since we know it only pulls first box) earlier today.

Is it only because of traffic, or is there more to this?

JoeM86

Mannnnn. Just finished moving Pokemon to Box 1 (since we know it only pulls first box) earlier today.

Is it only because of traffic, or is there more to this?

Traffic. Nintendo's online infrastructure has been collapsing the last two days due to the load.

So that's another thing I can absolutely hate pokemon bank for then.

You know Nintendo, just saying, if you had local transfers through the SD card...

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
As long as they fix the problem where hacked Pkmn were bring bought to X & Y I'm ok with this.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is embarassing as hell. Who thought it'd be a good idea to launch the service on Christmas day?

kiri

Nintendo just pushed a biiiiig SpotPass mail saying about withholding services for the time being. Free demos, Pokemon Bank and Zelda are making it unstable amoungst other things stated in the message.

Hopefully holding back Pokemon Bank is going to help speed things up.

sakipon

Nintendo just pushed a biiiiig SpotPass mail saying about withholding services for the time being. Free demos, Pokemon Bank and Zelda are making it unstable amoungst other things stated in the message.

This one kinda sounds like it could've been added to the list just for some PR. Then again, I suppose there is a bunch of new 3DS owners excited to try demos. (Though why did they have to remind they're free?)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

lol

Never lose a chance to do some marketing.

kiri

This one kinda sounds like it could've been added to the list just for some PR. Then again, I suppose there is a bunch of new 3DS owners excited to try demos. (Though why did they have to remind they're free?)

Also to point out on the demos front; There is a PuzzleDragon demo along with Theatrhythm, Mirai 2 and a couple of other popular titles too right now.

Not that anyone can access them...

Platy

And I was expecting they would fix the hacked pokemon thing.

Also, if you are a japanese person and already transfered your pokemon to the bank ... did you temporarily loose your pokepets ?

If only they could have foreseen that releasing something at Christmas might not be a good idea!

Isn't this the second Christmas in a row they were over capacity?
tmqu6nt.png

narton

It's lack of foresight like this about online infrastructures which is why Nintendo will never be as strong as they were again, even if they did keep up with their competitors in power and performance.

Revven

As long as they fix the problem where hacked Pkmn were bring bought to X & Y I'm ok with this.

This isn't happening, the delay isn't going to allow them any time to make a check that you and everyone else wants. The only checks they're likely to have are for moves, abilities, whether you're over the total EVs (510), and probably some other minor stuff. And that is all basically the exact same stuff PBR and previous transfer locations checked. I'm not sure why people suddenly expected GameFreak to be able to detect whether someone SAV'd a Pokemon -- other than a general statement of "we will have checks for hacked Pokemon" (paraphrased).

Additionally, this is total bullshit, I've been waiting sooooo long for this and now it's delayed because Nintendo decided to put ALBW and the Bank out on the same day in Japan?! UGH. I better be able to transfer shit before my break is over.

JoeM86

This isn't happening, the delay isn't going to allow them any time to make a check that you and everyone else wants. The only checks they're likely to have are for moves, abilities, whether you're over the total EVs (510), and probably some other minor stuff. And that is all basically the exact same stuff PBR and previous transfer locations checked. I'm not sure why people suddenly expected GameFreak to be able to detect whether someone SAV'd a Pokemon -- other than a general statement of "we will have checks for hacked Pokemon" (paraphrased).

Additionally, this is total bullshit, I've been waiting sooooo long for this and now it's delayed because Nintendo decided to put ALBW and the Bank out on the same day in Japan?! UGH. I better be able to transfer shit before my break is over.

Actually, ALBW came out today in Japan. Bank came out yesterday. The eShop has been having issues since yesterday.

It's Bank and Christmas that did this.

Wichu

The problem is the Transporter hack check is the worst one yet. We have things like unreleased abilities and shiny DW Pokémon being allowed through - you don't need an advanced hack check to reject those.

Ahahah, Nintendo pls.
It's painful to see awful their network services are.

I'm still gonna buy a Wii U along the road to play SM3DW though :)

Revven

The problem is the Transporter hack check is the worst one yet. We have things like unreleased abilities and shiny DW Pokémon being allowed through - you don't need an advanced hack check to reject those.

Lawl, wow, it's like one step forward (Pokemon Bank) and then two steps back (transferring hack checks).

Amazing.

DaBoss

I don't understand why Pokemon Transporter itself doesn't have the hack check. I get that eventually Pokemon unobtainable now would eventually be obtainable in Pokemon Bank, but Transporter only works with older games so there is a limit on what is obtainable.
Please pay so we can ensure the service will work properly.

Oh, you thought we'd really buy seperate servers? Lol.
Spoiler on how webstores work:
They would obviously put the download for Pokemon Bank on the eShop servers. Pokemon Bank was working fine.

Top Bottom