• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 (JP) |OT| whynotboth.gif

Philippo

Finally finished with the plat. Just and amazing game it was such a fun journey to go on.
All I'm going to say is I hope they can reuse a lot of the assets and make more in this generation. Especially a console DQ monsters that would be suuuuuper sick.

Also curious to hear impression from people that have a longer history with the games. How did 11 make you guys feel. I don't really have a super long story with the franchise having not even played a couple of them. But I can only imagine that 11 hits even harder when you maybe grew up on this franchise.

As I go through the odds and ends in this game, I am honestly starting the countdown to Dragon Quest XII around mid-late 2021 or 2022 at the latest. I wonder if the PS4 Pro's graphics were what Yuji Horii had in mind when he wanted a full 3D RPG. I mean what would the next standard be in? 4K? 8K? Higher?

Maybe you remake Dragon Quest 1-3 again especially 1 and you add bonus content this time. Perhaps make things more difficult and allow the character to go higher than 30. Maybe allow Princess Laura as a party member to have a second game where husband and wife fight evil.

Or... maybe the creators will do something basic and just make a DQXI expansion pack along the lines of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. Add in the bosses from previous games along with items and recipes you can get. DQIX was great to include previous bosses but that was all the way back in 2009.

Yeah i really hope UE4+already existing assets means the next DQ is not that far off, maybe at the very end of the gen.

Is XI leading into a new saga/trilogy? If so i guess the chances are even higher (haven't played it yet myself so don't really spoil it lol, just say yes/no in tags).

Aeana

Beat the final boss! I expected Extremely Hard based on the posts, but it went ok. Can't wait to dig into the post-game. I don't intend to write an impressions post until I at least finish that, but I think I'd like to finish the 3DS version first as well.

Rpgmonkey

Some comments on the post game so far:

- I guess Horii’s love of time travel and alternate worlds was going to work its way into this game somehow, haha.
- Some of the enemies that show up in the dungeons are actually pretty tough! I went in one that has Killer Machine type enemies in it and they have some pretty nasty attacks and stats. For a level 50 crew anyway.
- It seems like if I only followed the main storyline the post game would be pretty short, but the game kinda goes open world and there’s a lot of quests and storylines to follow. Unless it’ll turn out that these were actually all mandatory.
- I know I complained in an earlier post but now I kinda miss having one character who can use like 90% of the spells in the game. Now I need to put more thought into the pros and cons of my active party.
- The world map theme switch is pretty cool. I don’t really care for all of the instances of reused music (the tracks recycled from 8 feel particularly out of place to me) but the their application of DQ3’s music has been pretty good imo.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Some comments on the post game so far:

- I guess Horii’s love of time travel and alternate worlds was going to work its way into this game somehow, haha.
- Some of the enemies that show up in the dungeons are actually pretty tough! I went in one that has Killer Machine type enemies in it and they have some pretty nasty attacks and stats. For a level 50 crew anyway.
- It seems like if I only followed the main storyline the post game would be pretty short, but the game kinda goes open world and there’s a lot of quests and storylines to follow. Unless it’ll turn out that these were actually all mandatory.
- I know I complained in an earlier post but now I kinda miss having one character who can use like 90% of the spells in the game. Now I need to put more thought into the pros and cons of my active party.
- The world map theme switch is pretty cool. I don’t really care for all of the instances of reused music (the tracks recycled from 8 feel particularly out of place to me) but the their application of DQ3’s music has been pretty good imo.
Regarding your 3rd point:
The actual story is pretty short, but you will need to grind levels or equipment before you have any chance at beating the last boss. All the other side activities in towns and quests are basically things to help you with that, since they award you with equipment etc.

Aeana

One thing j really like about the 3DS 2D version is that it can potentially have way more enemies in battle at once than the others. That makes it feel like a much older DQ. I need to check the enemy exp values across the versions to see if there's any protection against over leveling with random battles vs visible. So far I'm roughly the same level in the 2D version as the 3D version in about the same place, despite feeling like I'm fighting a lot more battles.

Shouta

Regarding your 3rd point:
The actual story is pretty short, but you will need to grind levels or equipment before you have any chance at beating the last boss. All the other side activities in towns and quests are basically things to help you with that, since they award you with equipment etc.

Though to be fair,
there is some story in the side quests. It's mostly to see things through differently the second time around, kinda anyway, or to do a follow-up mini-quest. Rewarding equipment is a good carrot for that too, lol

One thing j really like about the 3DS 2D version is that it can potentially have way more enemies in battle at once than the others. That makes it feel like a much older DQ. I need to check the enemy exp values across the versions to see if there's any protection against over leveling with random battles vs visible. So far I'm roughly the same level in the 2D version as the 3D version in about the same place, despite feeling like I'm fighting a lot more battles.

How many can the 2D version get? I've seen some large groups in the 3D version, mostly in the post-game though.

Gloam

I'm up to Claymoran Castle.

The atmosphere here is really eerie. Very atmospheric stuff.

I don't think I've been doing a good job with smithing and equipment so far. But I hope to get some better stuff soon.

I haven't got any of the costumes for any of the characters yet. Are they bought in specific shops or are they all acquired through smithing?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm up to Claymoran Castle.

The atmosphere here is really eerie. Very atmospheric stuff.

I don't think I've been doing a good job with smithing and equipment so far. But I hope to get some better stuff soon.

I haven't got any of the costumes for any of the characters yet. Are they bought in specific shops or are they all acquired through smithing?
I think you can buy some of them.
Remember that most of costumes require a set of at least a headgear + armor, so changing the armor alone isn't enough. Those pieces of equipment have that in their descriptions though.

I remember that you can buy the
dancer outfit for Senya
in the
desert town which name's I don't remember

demonkaze

I think you can buy some of them.
Remember that most of costumes require a set of at least a headgear + armor, so changing the armor alone isn't enough. Those pieces of equipment have that in their descriptions though.

I remember that you can buy the
dancer outfit for Senya
in the
desert town which name's I don't remember

I'm not that far but you can get that in the normal shop in
Samadi
and there is one for Veronica in
Daharune, you have to barter with the stalls there to get the body piece from 12000 down to 1000. The head piece is in one of the shops there I think?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Could my racing times have anything to do with me not unlocking the last two? On Gold the best I can get is I think 1:11:23 on difficult.
I don't think so, I didn't get the target time for any of the titles, but being first was enough to unlock the next tier.
Like I said, for the last one, like I mentioned before
you have to choose to unlock it during hero trials in post game
(post game spoiler). I don't know about platinum, since the first time I even looked at the races was during post game and I just went through all 4 available difficulties at the time with each one unlocking after clearing the previous one at 1st place.

Yeah I've gotten 1st in gold a bunch of times. It's easy as hell. That should at least unlock Platinum. Oh well.

Edit: Never mind. Changed my party around.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
WOAH I just got lucky. DQ11 for the 3DS on ebay, snatched it for 36,50€ with shipping from a city just 80kms away. no taxes, no import..
so I'll join you all in a few days :D

Aeana

Post game spoilers:

reverting Senya's abilities is killing me. Now I'm back to swapping out characters literally every turn

muteki

The game clock must be running while the game is suspended or in the Ps4 menu, no way have I put 20 hours intothe game so far.

Shouta

Finally got the 6th and 7th party members and was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for skills/weapons for them?

One is mainly a damage dealer so you can pick a weapon and focus. The difference is in whether or not they do only single target or multi target damage. The other can be a physical damage dealer or a magic attack/support hybrid. They can be a physical damage dealer and still support your team but their magic power is a little lower as a result

The game clock must be running while the game is suspended or in the Ps4 menu, no way have I put 20 hours intothe game so far.

Yes, the game still runs while in the PS4 menu. I tried to avoid doing that as much as possible to avoid inflated timers, lol.

Aeana

My game timer is inflated as all hell, but that's common for me these days. So much stuff happening around the house that I just leave the game sitting for hours sometimes.

Just beat the true final boss and got a Platinum Trophy (which is surprising because I don't really care about trophies and didn't aim for one in this game). Pretty nice twist at the end
with this game being a prequel to the first three games.

I think the post-game ruined it a bit for me, it's the final part of the story so you probably want to play it. It's shit though. No new content, just a whole lot of palette swapped enemies and bosses, boring quests and a dungeon which recycles other areas. It's just filler nonsense.
Was still worth it for marrying Emma.

I still liked the game as a whole, but I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the series and DQ XI serves as just another reminder why that is. Uninteresting story, very little character interaction, and lack of any decent world building makes this an experience I'll probably forget about by tomorrow morning.

Linkura

Post game spoilers:

reverting Senya's abilities is killing me. Now I'm back to swapping out characters literally every turn

I was reading this spoiler and my husband looked at this screen (he doesn't enjoy spoilers as much as I do).

tumblr_mrui8im49T1spzweoo1_400.gif

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched a renkei compilation and man they're all so very well made it's such a shame that the whole system is so largely reliant on characters triggering zone outside of your control unless you're the hero.
I never even managed to see half of them in normal play. I was too discouraged by the system to experiment too much + I don't think I had 4 people ever line up naturally in zone. I had to always set up for it often with just defense turns until it triggers.

Okay good news. I finally completed the Platinum Race. It took some getting used to but after a few tries, I found it easy. Now for the last one.

So...
How do I unlock the post-game trials? Is this related to Nelson? Do you unlock one thing at a time the way you used to say in DQ3 with the God Dragon or DQVIII with the Dragon God King?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Okay good news. I finally completed the Platinum Race. It took some getting used to but after a few tries, I found it easy. Now for the last one.

So...
How do I unlock the post-game trials? Is this related to Nelson? Do you unlock one thing at a time the way you used to say in DQ3 with the God Dragon or DQVIII with the Dragon God King?
Just follow the main story marker on the world map and you should be fine iirc.

Just follow the main story marker on the world map and you should be fine iirc.

Question so I am just putting this all in a spoiler.

I completed the first of the Nelsen trials by defeating the one boss in under 30 turns. Is there any way to exit the trials and come back to them or do I have to do all five?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Question so I am just putting this all in a spoiler.

I completed the first of the Nelsen trials by defeating the one boss in under 30 turns. Is there any way to exit the trials and come back to them or do I have to do all five?
Yeah, you can jump out at any time and just go back there. The trial hub with all the NPCs should be now registered as your warp point.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
You can get them for 10 mini medals each and since the post game hands mini medals out like candy, that's not really a problem. I used Spectacle Show to level my party from 65 to 99 in a single hour, it's hilarious.

What's the best way to get them? I had ~30 extra after completing the stamp cards.
And doing 10 races to buy one is still not a great incentive.
I love the game but it still doesn't make it any less stupid that the randomized aspect of zones sucks which is a shame cause as I said all of the renkei attacks look awesome. It doesn't help that another main reason is that setting up for renkei is highly inefficient and mostly useful just for very special effects like super roulette or spectacle show. But generally I always lose out in dmg wasting turns waiting for zone to trigger and single person zone attacks generally do less dmg than most of the best normal skills.

What's the best way to get them? I had ~30 extra after completing the stamp cards.
And doing 10 races to buy one is still not a great incentive.
I love the game but it still doesn't make it any less stupid that the randomized aspect of zones sucks which is a shame cause as I said all of the renkei attacks look awesome. It doesn't help that another main reason is that setting up for renkei is highly inefficient and mostly useful just for very special effects like super roulette or spectacle show. But generally I always lose out in dmg wasting turns waiting for zone to trigger and single person zone attacks generally do less dmg than most of the best normal skills.

Just steal them from enemies in the first trial of Nelson's Labyrinth. You can get several from a single battle. And yeah, I don't really like the way zone works either. Those combo skills could have been a really cool addition to the battle system but the way they work now means that you never consider them as part of your skill repertoire. It's a complete shame.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just steal them from enemies in the first trial of Nelson's Labyrinth. You can get several from a single battle. And yeah, I don't really like the way zone works either. Those combo skills could have been a really cool addition to the battle system but the way they work now means that you never consider them as part of your skill repertoire. It's a complete shame.

Oh I didn't know there were enemies that had it as an easy steal that sounds like a decent way to farm them. Thx.
-------
I've kinda run out of things to do in the game, sadly. Last thing I did was grind enough skill seeds to complete all skill panels. Wanted to complete the book but it feels a bit like I can't cause some monsters that should be there according to the wikis aren't there.
I assume cause they're only there before certain story triggers.

Putting the game away I guess. Kinda crazy after spending a lot of time with it I'd still be up for a replay if we ever get good voice acting in some form for them.

muteki

Up to the point where I have 4 people in my party now, I would guestimate 12~15 hours.

It just dawned on me watching the intro again who the first girl in the forest is. Hehe.

I'd say in general it has been fairly straight forward so far. Introducing party members by having them shadow your party for a bit as invincible support really makes this first stretch pretty easy.

I'm a bit stumped on what I want to do skill point wise. Only thing I am really prioritizing at the moment is the two-handed dagger ability, otherwise just poking around.

I visited the place where you first meet Romia while in the post-game and
she's alive and waiting there like I lied to her instead of telling her the truth

They didn't even make it so that it retained the decision you made in the main game? That's really weird and kind of takes me out of the story

Looking to level up fast for the last boss.

Where can I find
Metal King Strong
or does it even exist? I have successfully killed two
Liquid Metal Strong

Top Bottom