• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Many probably false Cafe-related rumours posted on 4Chan, some by "ESRB employee"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Cactus Rumors:

J-Rock said:
Compiling Catus(ESRB info leaker) rumors.

Big One said:
Cactus confirmed quite a lot that turned out to be true it seems. Check this out(tons of rumor info): http://i.imgur.com/fy2gp.jpg

Apparently he also confirmed exact specs for the 3DS in the past on 4chan also. I'm starting to think he's legit.

Dreamwriter said:
Dreamwriter said:
Nope, nor do they rate games that are more than 6 months away from release (he said they had to review the trailer because some of those unannounced games were rated Teen and Mature). So his whole thing is fake.

The ESRB is ALL about rating games. Not videos, not commercials, games. It's not like the movie rating system where move previews get rated. And it costs a few hundred dollars to get them to rate your game, so companies wouldn't voluntarily pay them for something stupid that won't affect anything (parents will see the rating of a trailer at the E3 press conference?)

Well what do ya know, I was wrong!

ESRB said:
In fulfilling a key aspect of the self-regulatory mission of the ESRB, the Advertising Review Council (“ARC”) is responsible for the implementation, administration, and enforcement of advertising guidelines adopted by the interactive entertainment software industry.

Therefore, all materials produced and distributed by a company for promotional purposes (including demos, trailers, or videos), regardless of whether the company paid for media placement, will be considered “qualifying advertising” and subject to the same standards and review.

When conducting a compliance review, ARC will examine whether an advertisement meets and conforms to the following Principles, with particular focus on whether it satisfies the following core Guidelines. In so doing, ARC will consider both the spirit as well as the specific text of these Principles and Guidelines.

Companies must not specifically target advertising for entertainment software products rated “Teen,” “Mature,” or “Adults Only” to consumers for whom the product is not rated as appropriate.

I'm completely wrong, that last point sounds very much like what Cactus described. Nintendo's games reel supposedly includes Teen and Mature games, so the ESRB would have to review the video to make sure it wasn't trying to sell those specific games to little kids.

antonz said:
Round cactus claims to be an ESRB employee who saw a demo reel that Nintendo plans to show.
details of the reel are here

fy2gp.jpg

He called Contra etc as far back as may 15th

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4Chan Rumors:

New rumors(?)...this sounds legit

The System:

- Uses a custom IBM triple-core CPU running at 3.6GHz per core
- The development kit contains 1gb RAM, but Nintendo have hinted that the console will actually have 1.5gb
- Nintendo will be releasing games that will run 1080p natively. Sources say that with Nintendo’s art style and the poewer the system, the games look ‘stunning’.
- The system does run on AMD R700 card, but the architecture is slightly different and the clock speeds are much higher.
- The System resembles JPN/EU SNES machines in color only and not in shape
- The development kit is about the size of a 360, not the console
- Close sources say it’s as if Nintendo is in “damage control” with 3rd party developers. Nintendo is trying really hard to get 3rd parties on board to develop games and have offered incentives such as not releasing big-title Nintendo games in holiday seasons to compete against 3rd party titles.
- Nintendo went to many 3rd party developers on guidance on what they were after with the new console in terms of system specs, controller and online system.

The Controller:

- Nintendo have been keeping this really quiet and have only given developers controller prototypes to start designing games. However, the final controller build with all the features have only been given to Nintendo 1st and 2nd party developers for now.
- Nintendo had planned on inserting a screen on the controller back when the Gamecube was in development, but opted out due to technology not being advanced enough to be functional
- The controller that’s been given to developers has a large 5.7inch hd (960x640pixel) screen, 2 analogue sticks, 4 face buttons, 3 middle buttons (select/home/start in that order), 2 shoulder buttons and 2 triggers.
- The triggers aren’t as deep as the 360’s triggers, but have plenty of push
- The big thing about the screen is that it’s a multi-touch screen, contains it’s own battery and is detachable from the controller unit
- The screen when detached contains its own memory so developers can store data on it, so gamers can play whatever the developer designs for the screen-only use
- When the screen is attached to the controller it works by streaming content directly from the console
- Nintendo are giving developers ideas other than just having it function as a quick menu screen for games while attached, or as a simple tamagochi-like mini-game when detached
- The controller contains a gyroscope, but motion controls isn’t the focus of the controller like it was for the Wii

Games:

- Nintendo will release a Mario platformer as a launch title which hasn’t been done since the N64.
- The Mario platformer looks to be the spiritual successor to Mario 64.
- Gamefreak and EAD are hard at work developing a Pokemon online RPG.
- The Pokemon RPG is not an MMO, but does have a large online emphasis and will be Nintendo’s flagship title when showing off the online capabilities of the console.
- There will be at least one new IP Nintendo will reveal at E3.
- Nintendo is working on a new Zelda, but didn’t reveal anything to developers.

Other:

- Some developers have had the Wii 2 dev kit for going on 2 years now. When the Wii 2 is released in late, that’s 3 years to develop games on.
- Because of such generous development time, Nintendo have pushed 3rd parties to develop high quality games to be released at or near launch.
- Nintendo have sourced an external company to develop their online network, which the developer has commented, surpasses both the PS3 and 360 in terms of speed and functionality.
- Nintendo is pushing for the console to be online 24/7 and have seamless online integration with many of their games
- Friend codes are confirmed to be gone
- Nintendo has been toying with the idea of a game where the main character is your Mii
- Nintendo will be pushing their Pokemon RPG to showcase their online network
- Rockstar are supposedly hard at work in bringing on of their “most popular” titles to the console.
User33 said:
Alright, so I know this came from 4chan. I know there's a 99.99% chance this is fake. I just want to know what people think about the idea of an open world Mario

MJmjk.png

Again, this is most likely fake. I just want to know if people would be open to the idea should Nintendo decide to take the Mario series in that direction. The link was only posted in order to provide a basis for what the game might be like.

Foffy said:
- Maybe he's not a fan of fighters, so he doesn't know his Kazama's from his Akuma's.

This is the only solo Tekken game in development.

xEajV.jpg

This is Street Fighter x Tekken.

WkX5g.jpg

There is no way you know of Persona and Devil Summoner and not be able to tell the difference between these games. Fuck, there is no way you post on /v/, reference the website 1Up, and operate a keyboard simultaneously without recognizing Ryu and going "Right, the Street Fighter dude."

- What about that "edgy" RR game? That's not a launch title.

My point isn't that every Ridge Racer is a launch game, it's that every launch has a Ridge Racer. I don't know if he's joking about no Ridge Racer game.

- There are rumors that KP isn't even involved with Rising anymore, and that it's been moved to Platinum Games.

Rumors that have yet to be substansiated and were not mentioned in the Kojima Productions segment of the Konami video where they specifically talked about Rising.

- Could be Sonic 4: Episode II?

A re-release of a PS3 Sonic (that is on 360, Wii, and iPhone) that has not actually been released yet. Doesn't match.

Chiggs

Close sources say it’s as if Nintendo is in “damage control” with 3rd party developers. Nintendo is trying really hard to get 3rd parties on board to develop games and have offered incentives such as not releasing big-title Nintendo games in holiday seasons to compete against 3rd party titles.

lol

If that's true, how long do we expect that sort of "humble pie" stance to last?

Dreamwriter said:
I disagree. The system isn't coming out until next year, Nintendo has plenty of time to announce the final name later. They've had E3 press conferences before using code names. They didn't announce the name "Wii" at E3 - in fact, they didn't even have an event for that one, they just up and announced it, surprising everyone.
You're right that they withheld the final name of the Wii for a very long time. But the console already had its final name once they began doing public game demos for the device (at E3 2006).

From all accounts, Cafe is getting the star treatment at E3. This isn't E3 2005, where they held up the console and walked away. I would be shocked if they didn't reveal the final name of the device.

The Broken Ska Record said:
To be fair, the SFxTK game could be Tekken x Street Fighter, since it would have a similar style to Tekken instead of Street Fighter.
Has not begun development yet and will not until Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is finished.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The combination of the Snatcher concept art on Kojima's wall during his E3 interview and this 4chan* rumor list is going to give me a heart attack.

*if it turns out to be a big pile of BS then whoever brought that 4chan crap up should be punished. Severely/I].

ShockingAlberto said:
without recognizing Ryu and going "Right, the Street Fighter dude."
Wait, you are saying Ryu's in that screenshot? *I* wouldn't have ever recognized him, doesn't look anything like Ryu with that art style.

The big thing about the screen is that it’s a multi-touch screen, contains it’s own battery and is detachable from the controller unit
- The screen when detached contains its own memory so developers can store data on it, so gamers can play whatever the developer designs for the screen-only use

Now this.

This makes a lot of sense.

It would certainly prevent the controllers from being $100 a pop.

OH... and the two side pieces? Motion control capable. Calling it now.

ShockingAlberto said:
Rumors that have yet to be substansiated and were not mentioned in the Kojima Productions segment of the Konami video where they specifically talked about Rising.
Yes, but the two rumors do line-up pretty well. Kojima did mention that he was working on Rising, BUT the video "conference" was more of a teaser before E3. I seriously doubt Konami let EVERYTHING out of the bag almost a week before E3 proper.

Foffy

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
A re-release of a PS3 Sonic (that is on 360, Wii, and iPhone) that has not actually been released yet. Doesn't match.

What if he confused the art style from Episode I as a re-release of the original game? There's no way he could have confused Sonic Unleashed to Sonic 06, considering they look very different.

Exuro

I'm not understanding this "simulated textures" on a touch screen. How does this work and where can I read more about it? So far all of these rumors scream fake to me.

Chiggs

I'm starting to think that $399.99 is the right price for this system...there just seems to be a lot of tech involved.

ShockingAlberto said:
Has not begun development yet and will not until Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is finished.
I didn't know about that. Alls I'm saying is that a few instances can't be completely disproved. He/She may have only watched the footage once, and wasn't clear to remember the details.

Triton55

I feel like people are overestimating the amount of resources that Nintendo EAD has. A lot of these game lists sound almost equal to the entirety of Nintendo's Wii output.

ShirAhava said:
New rumors(?)...this sounds legit
Any rumor that talks about removing Friend Codes is instantly fake in my book. That's a "give the readers what they are dying to hear" strategy, and it's not something Nintendo would announce - Nintendo will never give specifics on what was wrong with anything they did.

Here's another one:

"- Some developers have had the Wii 2 dev kit for going on 2 years now. When the Wii 2 is released in late, that’s 3 years to develop games on.
- Because of such generous development time, Nintendo have pushed 3rd parties to develop high quality games to be released at or near launch."

So, no "launch title-quality games" - that's more proof of giving the reader what they really want to hear.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Did someone just knock the gravity mechanic of Super Mario Galaxy? Clearly this information is wrong because this person has no soul.

Krowley

Triton55 said:
I feel like people are overestimating the amount of resources that Nintendo EAD has. A lot of these game lists sound almost equal to the entirety of Nintendo's Wii output.

Yeah, it does sound like too much stuff. That was my biggest problem with it initially. I'm expecting about half that much or less.

Triton55 said:

It is a new era! Nintendo's up to bat it out of the park it seems.

Or, it's all crazy fan hype.

Just now getting back to reading this thread. I need to catch up badly. My head is just spinning with all the rumors. Trying to take it all in, and E3 hasn't even started yet. I'm hoping we'll learn something about Project Cafe's core hardware soon. I know we should all be more interested in games but without a foundation on which those games will be built on, I don't know what to think about the games/software, the controller, the online aspects. I'm dying to know if Cafe is going to be stronger than Xbox 360 and PlayStation3.

I wanna know that Cafe is not merely on par with the current HD consoles. I wanna know that Nintendo's next console is somewhat future-proof and will be able to handle downports of Xbox3, PS4 games. I want to know all about Cafe's CPU, GPU and RAM. As much as I loved the Wii, I don't want another Nintendo console that uses out-dated tech, I mean as out-dated as Wii was in 2006. I do understand Nintendo won't be using the latest cutting-edge CPU/GPU tech in Cafe, I just want two to three times more power / performance than Xbox 360 and twice as much RAM. Xbox 360 came out in late 2005, PlayStation3 in late 2006. Project Cafe is coming out mid-late 2012 and will have to last until at least 2017/2018. I don't think hardly anyone would be pleased with a Nintendo console that only matches Xbox 360 & PlayStation3 in visual/graphical prowess.

Sorry for the rant/ramble.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
- Close sources say it’s as if Nintendo is in “damage control” with 3rd party developers. Nintendo is trying really hard to get 3rd parties on board to develop games and have offered incentives such as not releasing big-title Nintendo games in holiday seasons to compete against 3rd party titles.​

Really? REALLY?!?

trinest

Vic said:
- Close sources say it’s as if Nintendo is in “damage control” with 3rd party developers. Nintendo is trying really hard to get 3rd parties on board to develop games and have offered incentives such as not releasing big-title Nintendo games in holiday seasons to compete against 3rd party titles.​

Really? REALLY?!?
Rumors aside I feel that Nintendos response to the third party situation is horrible, especially with how they faced it with the 3DS.

Gravijah

herzogzwei1989 said:
I don't think hardly anyone would be pleased with a Nintendo console that only matches Xbox 360 & PlayStation3 in visual/graphical prowess.

Sorry for the rant/ramble.

Wii & DS

Truth101

Banned
trinest said:
Rumors aside I feel that Nintendos response to the third party situation is horrible, especially with how they faced it with the 3DS.

3rd parties dropped the ball not Nintendo.

No way those second 4chan rumors are true. Now the Cactus guy's...I can believe. I went back through the thread but couldn't find my answer, did he also say that the Mario game was the open world SMW3, or was that someone else riding his coattails?

trinest

Truth101 said:
3rd parties dropped the ball not Nintendo.
Yes, but Nintendo also spaced out everything and went hiding. Even if it was going to be how they hoped- I doubt it would of been a good move either.

trinest said:

Nintendo practically gave their entire launch window to third parties.

trinest said:
Yes, but Nintendo also spaced out everything and went hiding. Even if it was going to be how they hoped- I doubt it would of been a good move either.

So Nintendo spacing their games out and giving third parties room to breathe is bad for third parties?

Do you even know what you're trying to say?

Foffy

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I feel like when you have to start interpreting, explaining, and making excuses for a leak, you already know it's fake.

I personally am on the fence with this, because in the end it's all about what Nintendo shows themselves. However, I do disagree with your point here, as there's a game that was leaked out of nowhere. The reveal of Castlevania: Harmony of Despair came from a random blog, showed screenshots that had nothing but sprite ripping, and the scaling of the images were off. It looked like a fan game, and it was scoffed off by everyone except the people who know Castlevania shit gets leaked early and there being a history of truth to it. The game ended up being real too, even if the first screenshots of the game looked made by fans.

Maybe some of the stuff he's saying is a up to interpretation because he's not clear on everything, but I can't bluntly say it's real or fake. For all we know this could be like SSBB and people calling the roster leak bogus because R.O.B. was on it, because that was a ridiculous choice for the game. Maybe he's uninformed on some games, because those seem to be the only potential holes in his claims. He called the Contra reveal perfectly, with us only seeing the game revealed as "C", minus the mentioning of platforms.

I'm not sure on everything he's claiming either. Would Nintendo really have two Mario Kart games in development?

J-Rock

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
No way those second 4chan rumors are true. Now the Cactus guy's...I can believe. I went back through the thread but couldn't find my answer, did he also say that the Mario game was the open world SMW3, or was that someone else riding his coattails?

That was someone else that didn't reveal their identity. Could be coattailing or could be true. Nobody knows what to think about that one other than it sounds awesome.

Dreamwriter said:
Any rumor that talks about removing Friend Codes is instantly fake in my book. That's a "give the readers what they are dying to hear" strategy, and it's not something Nintendo would announce - Nintendo will never give specifics on what was wrong with anything they did.

Here's another one:

"- Some developers have had the Wii 2 dev kit for going on 2 years now. When the Wii 2 is released in late, that’s 3 years to develop games on.
- Because of such generous development time, Nintendo have pushed 3rd parties to develop high quality games to be released at or near launch."

So, no "launch title-quality games" - that's more proof of giving the reader what they really want to hear.

There was a rumor that some devs were receiving dev kits just after last years E3.
I don't remember exactly where I read it, but I'm sure I could find it again if I looked hard enough.

Truth101

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:

He said it looked like an Open World Mario, from what he saw of the preview video, and then another person told us more about it today.

antonz

DeathbyVolcano said:
Cactus did suggest new mario would be more open world

Desperado

I'm betting on $350 for launch price, though I don't think we'll get that info this week. The Wii was the first time they had ever launched over $200. I think they'll want to keep it in the "reasonable" range, especially if it's coming out in the summer. I would say $300, but I also don't think they'll break tradition with making money on the hardware from the get go. Of course, I don't really know how much it's going to cost to produce, but $350 just seems right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom