• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumours: Durango to be called "Xbox", MS to make X-Surface portable gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.

nofi

Well, as a game journalist, there are some outlets I trust and some I don't. I would never cover a rumor from a site I've never heard of, like Pocket Lint or VGLeaks (the other one floating around) without some other form of verification. If I saw a anonymously-sourced report on a reputable site like Polygon or Eurogamer, however, I'd feel much more comfortable sharing it with readers.

BTW, despite all the flack we get, Kotaku got that email last night and decided that it was nonsense.

Good good. We didn't get it, but it's an interesting experiment.

jschreier

To be fair, this guy is totally right:

Nebz604 1 point 1 minute ago (1|0)
This isn't a game journalism problem, this is an all journalism problem. Every news agency wants to have bleeding edge information and they all know they can get away with pushing any rumor or whispered 5th hand information simply to get a headline. What's the very worst that could happen? They might have to print a retraction, but even that is unlikely.

Well, Apple did it, so I guess in Microsoft's eyes they can do it too. I think it was a bad idea when Apple did it too but it seems to have gone over there so what do I know.

guek

Banned
Just like they've struggled with the windows phone, I just don't see MS successfully taking on Apple and Samsung in the tablet market. It doesn't help that X-Surface would also be an awful name.

edit: oh snap, it's a trap!

rrs

Xbox alone is what some people refer to as the 360. Yet another "Xbox" will lead to confusion and pranksters selling the first one under name alone

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
When I see "two cores" this is all I can think

tumblr_mfhx8aQ7TA1qcwgrvo1_500.gif

That being said, I am 100% in on a day 1 Xbox/X-Surface bundle.

November cannot come soon enough.

11-12-13. Believe.

roflmao, I fucking SPIT MY DRINK OUT at that gif!!!

jschreier

Just post everything like this with the preface "RUMOR: xxx" and you're in the clear, right?

Yeah, it's a problem. And I imagine anyone who's worked on the web for at least a few years has fallen for some sort of hoax or aggregated something that turned out to be wrong. I sure have.

But as I just said on Twitter, look at the list of sites here. It's mostly tech websites. None of the major gaming sites. For whatever it's worth.

Pocket Lint is trying to save face, making things much more painful.

"We never said we believed it! Look! Read again! Look at this other rumor we reported on that was true! See?! SEE!? LOOK!"

But, but, what if the original email was REAL and the story about it all being a bunch of lies IS ITSELF THE LIE, and we're all buying into the lie being the truth and the truth a lie?

I don't know what to believe anymore!@!

Zeal

Banned
This info sounds bogus. Just like Nintendo was calling the Wii U simply Nintendo.

EDIT: Shit nevermind. Fuck the guy who did this.

Sandfox

I don't think its a good idea to release a handheld made for a western audience. This thing will likely do worse than the Vita barring something crazy happening.

Danneee

Will buy if it can play my XBLA games, then I could finally get rid of my 360 .

Edit: that would actually be my perfect next gen, portable console that plays all my existing xbla games and a PC for OR.
It makes kind of sense for MS to make some kind of console for XBLA BC if they can't squeeze it into the nextbox.

Edit2: but of course that will never happen, my hype for the next console generation is close to zero. I'll just keep my current gen consoles then. Too many unfinished games there.

BraXzy

It is quite funny and ridiculous in a way this X-Surface prank, but like people have said... Journalists don't want to be the last guy who walks through the door to the suprise party, they have to be on the ball and be the first to get their hands on awesome news.

It might be complete bull, but imagine if it was true, Pocket-Lint would have been the first in the world to get it out in the open.

Thread title should be updated?

Everyone come up with a witty replacement?

RdN

They'll have to call it "New Xbox" for a while, and them it'll become just Xbox.

Yeah.. Apple proved that this can work, and with a product that is recycled every 8 months, which is not the case of a home console.

Sandfox

I can just imagine people trying to play Xbox games on their Xbox or picking up the original Xbox for their kids because its so cheap.

Zeal

Banned
Thread needs to be locked. People still reading the first OP and commenting like the rumors are legit. You know the next-gen is almost upon us when things like this start happening. It always does.

Some asshole looking for his 15 minutes of fame, trying to masquerade it by teaching the industry a lesson or whatever BS excuse.

stktt

Banned
I can just imagine people trying to play Xbox games on their Xbox or picking up the original Xbox for their kids because its so cheap.

I highly doubt consumers will confuse Mixrosoft's next console with something that was phased out of production years ago.

Sandfox

I highly doubt consumers will confuse Mixrosoft's next console with something that was phased out of production years ago.

You would be surprised by how clueless some consumers are and the fact that they would have the exact same name doesn't help.

genjiZERO

I think MS needs to rebrand the XBOX a bit. It's sooooo early naughties America when everything was "extreme" and labelling itself with the letter X. This was exemplified by radical sk8ter dude J Allard, the cheesy toxic reactor load up screen in the original, and the garish toxic ooze green color theme. I've always thought it was a horrible naming and branding decision.

Obviously, Sony won't call PS4 "PS4" for Japanese superstition reasons. But simply "PlayStation" is so much more pleasant and subtle than "XBOX". If I was MS I'd try to rebrand it as something more whimsical and imaginative - somehow using the word "Window" and an implication that it is a window into the imagination (personally, I think "Dreamcast" is best named console of all time). I suppose MS does pretty well with the XBOX brand, so don't fix what isn't broken, but it's not very elegant, and might not age well in the long run (if it was ever good to begin with).

Put that in the category of "Things that will never happen". Unlike the Wii U/3DS, Microsoft will market the living shit out of the "Xbox".

I think MS needs to rebrand the XBOX a bit. It's sooooo early naughties America when everything was "extreme" and labelling itself with the letter X. This was exemplified by radical sk8ter dude J Allard, the cheesy toxic reactor load up screen in the original, and the garish toxic ooze green color theme. I've always thought it was a horrible naming and branding decision.

Obviously, Sony won't call PS4 "PS4" for Japanese superstition reasons. But simply "PlayStation" is so much more pleasant and subtle than "XBOX". If I was MS I'd try to rebrand it as something more whimsical and imaginative - somehow using the word "Window" and an implication that it is a window into the imagination (personally, I think "Dreamcast" is best named console of all time). I suppose MS does pretty well with the XBOX brand, so don't fix what isn't broken, but it's not very elegant, and might not age well in the long run (if it was ever good to begin with).

I agree with you, i never liked the name Xbox, i always thought it sounded retarded and too 90's style... But they have to keep that name otherwise it could create mass confusion... People are used to Xbox, ugly name or not.

genjiZERO

I agree with you, i never liked the name Xbox, i always thought it sounded retarded and too 90's style... But they have to keep that name otherwise it could create mass confusion... People are used to Xbox, ugly name or not.

Nintendo has changes it up and doesn't have a problem. Then again, "Nintendo" itself it the major, entirely associated with videogames, brand, and MS can't claim the same. So it's difficult position for sure. But man would "Windowscape" or "Imagination Window" sound so much better.

Oh yeah, THAT would sell well to the casual market at launch. No possibility of confusion and indifference.

The "new" iPad had no issues selling.

Nintendo is just incompetent at marketing.

The difference is that the name "Xbox" has been in the market consciousness for over a decade now. They can get away with it, just as Sony could with simply going back to "PlayStation". Nintendo has been all over the place with actual names of their systems. NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii. The NES/SNES thing as the most unified naming system they had and it's twenty odd years old now. People don't say "The kids are playing the Microsoft" or "The kids are playing the Sony", but they do say "The kids are playing the Nintendo." That's the difference.

Nintendo didn't do a good enough job of explaining that the Wii U was a different console. The Wii name was just as idiotic and it sold like hotcakes because the "Wii Would Like to Play" campaign was fantastic.

Oh god. Microsoft has spent the last six years selling shoddy hardware that self destructs when you sneeze across the room. All I need is to own a handheld system they made. Will they admit it's just meant to be a one-use, disposable item? Could they maybe sell it in a 10 pack?

But as I just said on Twitter, look at the list of sites here. It's mostly tech websites. None of the major gaming sites. For whatever it's worth.

Haha, I just heard about this thing on weekend confirmed, came to gaf to read up on it and this is the best bit. Seems like the guy had a point but whether he's right or not , he didn't actually prove it. None of the big gaming sites ran his thing or are on his list at least. Kinda dumb because plenty have did it before, but none of them did it for this ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom