• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime Creative Director: "Reading Neogaf made me cry for two days"

Ahasverus

We should really get better at chill.

This comes from the Edge feature on the game. Rime's Creative Director Raul Rubio said this:
Even so, If I had read Neogaf at the time the game probably wouldn't exist. I spent some time six months ago going through two-and-a-half years of comments on Neogaf, and I was literally crying for two days. Partly because I just don't understand the cruelty, but more importantly because I could see those years over those two days, and I began to understand that maybe people can love something so much that they can hate it.
There were indeed some very cruel comments in here about how the studio was proably a scam and stuff like that.

In my humble opinion, Neogaf is better served being considered a positive, constructive source a criticism in the media, not some kind of bully hive.

Is he overreacting though? Are developers better served not reading online forums and such?

OK I'm gonnna try and add some context.

The game was revealed years ago with a proof of concept trailer. As a Sony exclusive, ir raised the interest from some people, as it appeared to be inspired by the likes of Ico and the Studio Ghibli movies.

It was all good and well, until word got out the trailer was not gameplay. Then it followed with some rumor that the development of the game had gone to hell when it was still a Sony exclusive:
It says:

development is going very bad. Every two weeks Sony reps are at the office to make them hurry up.

They (Tequila) don't know what to do. They have Stage 1 (¿?) ready, but testers says it's boring, because theres only puzzles, no fighting, only going from one point to another solving puzzles.

2nd post says Sony gave them an ultimatum , they put money onto it and right now the game is meh.

3rd is just about how they filled up the PS4 memory and had to stay some days till 3 AM dowgrading textures and taking out shit.

Then Tequila Works reaquired the rights to RiME. Rime was initially going to be a PS4 exclusive. The deal fell through. and the "gotcha" posts started to appear. You know, the usual stuff.

But then there was the bomb: This post allegedly confirming everybody's rumors and more. There was no "game".
All this info comes from a source very close to the studio.

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/we...4233524_ELIG_NOT_PARAM_SITUACION=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).
The pile on started soon and the rest is history.

But then the game reappeared, looking just like the reveal trailer, releasing soon and is apparently.. pretty good? So it was all an aimless witch hunt? Who would have thought.

jonno394

Wait, was this the furor caused by the Switch pricing issue, or something else?

edit - nope, missed the "six months ago" bit and just seen the full context from the other thread, need to find that original thread now!

Lots of people don't like Neogaf. I've seen it all over the place from other websites and YouTube. I do try to be nice to people.

LordKano

Not gonna say that this forum isn't overreacting, but what was he expecting when he openly lied about the state of his pretty hyped game.

Also what did he expect from the Internet.

Mediking

I love NeoGaf and it's my favorite website of all time...

But still....

This is the INTERNET... you gotta have strong skin and remember that almost everybody on the Internet is anonymous and that the tone of a comment can be totally weird and bizarre and harsh as hell sometimes.

And NeoGAF is largely a positive website that encourages discussion and not everybody is gonna like the same thing.

Chindogg

It doesn't surprise me. There's an element to this forum of hyping things of oblivion when they might do well and going full schadenfreude at the nearest suspicion of something not being right.

Sounds like Neil Druckmann had the right idea when it comes to gaf... wasn't it something along the lines of "Keep calm and ignore Neogaf"

There are so many overreactions on all forums :/

This sucks, though. I'm a little confused, I thought Rime was a game people really, really wanted to see? What was so negative over 2 1/2 years of comments? <3 to the devs though

Alienous

I wish he had gone into more detail about the types of comments.

I can't think of anything that would illicit the response of tears. I think forums are prone to hyperbole - I recall the RIME trailers getting a ton of praise, so I can understand how that could have the 'negative' counter-balance.

I'm confused crying over what? The price issue, which in my opinion, go for it, that's a shitty deal. Or was it something else? Delays or console choice, etc.

Eh, there's no proof they're not a scam til the game comes out.

If neogaf made him cry, then MetaCritic will make him ugly cry if the game isn't any good.

Mezoly

We should really get better at chill.

This comes from the Edge feature on the game. Rime's Creative Director Raul Rubio said this:

There were indeed some very cruel comments in here about how the studio was proably a scam and stuff like that.

In my humble opinion, Neogaf is better served being considered a positive, constructive source a criticism in the media, not some kind of bully hive.

Is he overreacting though? Are developers better served not reading online forums and such?

No he is not. People called his hard work a scam because their favorite Company/Tribe dropped the publishing rights for the game.

Koppai

Lol i say suck it up and take it as constructive criticism. Im still gonna support this game on the Switch. Not everyone is going to love everything you create.

Mediking

Not gonna say that this forum isn't overreacting, but what was he expecting when he openly lied about the state of his pretty hyped game.

Also what did he expect from the Internet.

Sounds like OP didn't add enough context? There's more to the story, huh?

bomblord1

Banned
Neogaf has certainly been a significant source of stress in my life. Especially when I enter a technical or certain other type of thread and start asking questions. The dogpiling around here can be soul crushing sometimes especially when you don't realize you said or did something out of line.

I'm not even a game dev.

Fury451

Banned
Well that's awful. I enjoy posting and reading here, but it does get overblown with how harsh criticism gets. I try to keep mine measured and constructive because I know developers do browse here and hopefully get useful feedback that they apply.

That said, I'm not really sure how this place is worse than any other form online.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm sure the GameFAQs discussion on his game was 10 times more civil and enlightening than NeoGAF.

I began to understand that maybe people can love something so much that they can hate it.

Yeah, that's definitely gaf

Although that something is generally a weird mythical version of a game that gaffers have in their imagination more than something that actually exists

Kudo

But we're usually so nice

Only in the community threads or OTs. Review threads, not so good news or threads from Youtubers people don't like can really get quite ugly sometimes, but it's good that moderation here is working most of the time.

ethomaz

Banned
Overreactions happens in all places and not only in GAF... you will read good and bad things.

But I thought they create this situation to themselves... I mean they tried to sell a game that didn't even existis at the time... if they where honest about it since beginning I guess the situation could be different.

Let's hope what they have now in hands turn out to be good.

Christhor

If you go looking for criticism about something you made, especially from people who don't expect you to read their posts, you're going to get some unfiltered opinions. If you can't handle that, it's probably best to have someone else go through that stuff and make a summary for you.

Mezoly

Eh, there's no proof they're not a scam til the game comes out.

If neogaf made him, then MetaCritic will make him ugly cry if the game isn't any good.

You can't be serious? We could use that logic for every game ever. Most games get delayed nowadays.

Top Bottom