• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Vancouver lays off 7% of staff, but is apparently still hiring

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Bloody hell. News is just trickling in. At least two of my colleagues caught up in it, more to come.

Update:

YqS2H.png

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Worst generation ever. The number of studio foldings and layoffs has been catastrophic.

salromano

Oh no. =(

Capcom Vancouver, for those who don't know, used to be Blue Castle Games. They're behind Dead Rising 2 and its three offshoots.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Even them? Dead Rising 3 was supposed to be already announced, no? We had that user who leaked Dead Space 3 with the co-op details leaking DR3 too...

MrDaravon

Worst generation ever. The number of studio foldings and layoffs has been catastrophic.

There's also been insane growth in both staffing and costs; seems like the bubble was going to burst at some point. Hopefully everyone affected lands on their feet.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
if it is the case then there might be something wrong with the game they are currently working on.

Ono working with them?

Don't tell me something is going wrong with DarkStalkers's supposed revival.

Good luck to those guys who got let go. It's been a harsh time for the industry. I hope the next round of consoles and business ideas can reduce the frequency of these terrible layoffs.
don't tell me they shipped out ono to capcom vancouver just so they can fire him.
First thing that came to my mind.

jbug617

Banned
Ono was a producer on Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams and there were rumors of a western studio was working on Onimusha around the time of the Lost Planet 3 debut.

BY2K

Membero Americo
How in the hell are devs that aren't EA or Activision kind of big going to survive the next-gen?

duckroll

Ono was a producer on Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams and there were rumors of a western studio was working on Onimusha around the time of the Lost Planet 3 debut.

Yeah but didn't those rumors all line up with the other game the LP3 devs are doing?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
You work at Capcom Vancouver, Bish?
No, no. I have several friends who do, however. Vancouver software industry is pretty incestuous, nearly everyone who's been doing this for 6+ years has worked together at some point or another, it seems.

How in the hell are devs that aren't EA or Activision kind of big going to survive the next-gen?

When they're bought BY EA or Activision and live on as one of their many appendages.

But I worry about that shit. A company like Treasure, only has 30-40 something employees. They used to be able to put out a new game every 1-2 years. Now their last new game was in 2008, and they only have the manpower to recreate their classics for XBLA.

feels bad, man

Top Bottom