• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Story of NeoGAF [Update: Part 3 - $$$] (VG247)

AHA-Lambda

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/15/the-story-of-neogaf-part-one-humble-beginnings/

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/16/the-story-of-neogaf-part-two-scandal-and-control/

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/17/the-story-of-neogaf-part-three-money-money-money/

We're getting talked about a lot lately aren't we?

GAF is a lot of things, but it never provokes an indifferent reaction. Some love it, some hate it. It’s a nightmare source of leaks, one publisher PR manager told me when I mentioned this piece. One fellow journalist described it as a ‘pit,’ and a developer from a major studio said there’s only one thing worse – their official forums.

Ok I bet that's Bioware :p

Oooohhh, this should be good
3AQmK.gif

The_Monk

Please focus on positive things/GAFfers.

Argh, It's not going to happen...

Save it for later, thanks for posting fellow GAFfer.

VG247 is doing this too?

Nice!

To be honest - Evilore can corroborate this - this had been on the cards for a long time, well before GTTV/EDGE got on with it. He and I first spoke about it the day after E3 2012 at the GAF E3 meet-up meal - some other GAFers were there and may remember the conversation! It just took months and months to get round to it, with me killer busy and him off on his Europe trip.

Trigger

GAF is a lot of things, but it never provokes an indifferent reaction. Some love it, some hate it. It’s a nightmare source of leaks, one publisher PR manager told me when I mentioned this piece. One fellow journalist described it as a ‘pit,’ and a developer from a major studio said there’s only one thing worse – their official forums.

Kotaku writer? :p

We’re at, like 64 cores, 160 gigabytes of RAM and this fast, cloud-based array. It’s still not enough to keep the site up 100% of the time, but we are one of the largest vBulletin sites out there and there are unique challenges along with that.”

But can GAF run Crysis?

Great read.

A part 2 as well, nice.

It's 3 parts. To give a rough idea of what to expect - Part One is about building GAF, part two is about developer relations and things like that - Dyack, ME3 story leak/law threats, moderation issues etc, and part three is about money, turning GAF full-time/pro and how outside sources have tried to buy GAF for some pretty princely sums in the past.

Lakitu

st5fu
So apparently, open and honest opinions among a variety of passionate gamers = a pit (except for the blatant trolls)? The fuck?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Been a lurker for years and only joined up the other week, so getting to know a little bit about Gaf history was nice. Lovely read.

It's 3 parts. To give a rough idea of what to expect - Part One is about building GAF, part two is about developer relations and things like that - Dyack, ME3 story leak/law threats, moderation issues etc, and part three is about money, turning GAF full-time/pro and how outside sources have tried to buy GAF for some pretty princely sums in the past.

Hope there's a part four with details on the GAF gold secret society.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Nice. Looking forward to it.

Volotaire

Thanks for this, very interesting insight!

I enjoy Vg247 a lot, it's a good site however the ironic thing is if you read the comment sections and forum posts it's getting close to N4G, game trailers level

Johnny M

"we’re running on ridiculously powerful hardware right now – I even upgraded again after the Sony conference stuff. We’re at, like 64 cores, 160 gigabytes of RAM and this fast, cloud-based array."

Hoolyyy shiitt, it's like a ps6!

Top Bottom