• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

Jas

Got my code today and played 3 rounds so far.
People are spending the majority of their time building during a round which is leading to slower action compared to Warhawk.
It's a new mechanic and everyone is trying it out, so not too worried about it yet but like carlos mentioned 15 minute rounds seems a bit short.
Shooting on the ground feels good so far.

Carl

It's a new mechanic and everyone is trying it out, so not too worried about it yet but like carlos mentioned 15 minute rounds seems a bit short.

Pretty much. People build base defences and stuff and just get into the swing of things and there are only 5 minutes left.

Pretty much. People build base defences and stuff and just get into the swing of things and there are only 5 minutes left.

What seems like would make sense is if they had like a 5 minute base building period where you were restricted to just your starting area and could build in relative safety. Maybe even make the building 2x speed during that time.

Also, I've seen video of people dropping turrets into enemy bases, is there no counter to this? anti air/dropoff guns? Seems way to exploitable

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
What are you freaking talking about entitlement? Breaking news bro but not everyone likes the same shit as you or the developers. I am not acting entitled for liking how Warhawk looks and how it was designed in comparison to Starhawk. It's called a preference and an opinion. Seriously man, so often you come across as pompous and extremely patronizing. I get it, you know more about the artistic side of gaming than many others. I get it, you are in the industry. It's hard for anybody not to know since you rarely find an opportunity when you don't let it be known. Congratulations. Stop acting like a dick all of the time.

Oh I have no problems with your opinion, thats all good. You brought something up that I knew for a fact was otherwise and told you why I knew it. Its not about me bragging, because thats not a braggable thing, just about lending validity to what I mean (in this case being developer intent). If it comes off and arrogant its because of internet speech comes accross, I mean nothing by it.

Hell I wasnt even talking about the art, only reason I ever bring that up is when other people do it first.... Or because sometimes there ae NBA lockouts for five months.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

And these are "small" maps. I wonder how the big ones will work out.

As for flying the hawk, I'm not sure what to think about it. Controls are fine per se. It's the camera that's fucked up (I'm using "pro" controls btw). It shouldn't roll along with the plane IMO.

ChryZ

Got my code last night and played 3-4 games. First impression was definitely good, gotta spend more time with it though. I like especially the new aiming and running.

littleornothin

Neo Member
You knifed me yesterday TTP ;(

Don't know what to think yet. Quite fun I guess. Still haven't found out how to get to other weapons than the sniper.
Some mines would been nice to have. Haven't seen any yet, guess they must be in?

I played around 350h of Warhawk, but I don't own a ps3 atm. and even if I did..Warhawk > Starhawk :p

So pm me if you want my code.

---------edit---------

Gone (to theAntagonist)

hf :)

I played around 350h of Warhawk, but I don't own a ps3 atm. and even if I did..Warhawk > Starhawk :p

So pm me if you want my code.

PM sent. Hopefully I'm lucky! :D

Been wanting to try this out since its reveal. I only played in the beta of Warhawk, and I actually got into it through the 'roundabout' way, but I really enjoyed what I played. Not sure why I never picked the game up. Think it might have been due to none of my friends owning PS3's at the time and I didn't feel like playing the game with randoms.

tfur

I would probably call this Starbattle instead of Starhawk. Very little hawks....
We will see how things gob with more players and larger maps.

Frame rate is headache inducing.
Weapons pickups, movable doors could be more visible. Better objective and weapon hints.
No dedicated servers?
Both maps are really dark, so I hope there will be some maps similar to archipelago, destroyed ciapitol and eucadia etc.
I need to try ithe other flight option, becuase the default is completely gimped compared to Warhawk.

It takes so long to build things up, and finally get hawks built that the matches will need to 30-60 minutes.

It's really fun, but it's not warhawk. I hope they do not abandon Warhawk, and have it ready for next gen.

tfur

Using the advanced flight option makes it much better. Still feels slower, and less precise. Maybe it's lag making it feels this way.

I think I saw someone regenerating a vehicle, but not sure which weapon does this. There is also a weapon than shoots a beacon, but I do not know what that does.

Tracking the flag carrier seems more difficult.

Not having hover hurts. Even a limited time hover would of been nice.

It's going to be a game that takes a while to learn and get used to.

X-Frame

I played for about an hour of it and so far I am not impressed, or even interested in continue playing.

I know a lot of content is being rolled out over time (i..e jet bikes) but it just seems like a barren wasteland now.

I'm obviously aware this is still the private beta but I am going to hold off on playing again until the open beta in January and hope that it improves.

As of now, I'd much, much rather just play Warhawk still.

Ok, quick vent, then I will shut up.

They said this first Beta was for people that put a lot of time in Warhawk, they were the ones invited.

I finished 11th or 12th in the World on the Warhawk Beta, got the letter, autographed game, my Warhawk Wings, etc.

Then I played the daylights out of Warhawk when it released, bought ever expansion/add on.

Why didn't I get invited? Boo Hoo!

Ok, anyways, I am very hyped for the game. I am almost more hyped for the Sound Design. I still think Warhawk had some of the best sound design I have heard on the PS3.

3rdamention - do you want my code? I got an email from Sony but don't plan on using it. Was looking to sell it but would rather just give it away to a fellow Warhawk vet. PM me.

(note: this isn't an open invitation for everyone to PM me, just an offer for 3rdamention)

**edited**

3rdamention - check your PM.

X-Frame

Regarding those people who believe they should've gotten an invite -- see this quote from Dylan Jobe on the Starhawk Beta forums:

Dylan Jobe said:
Hey Bucket415,

While the team and I here at LightBox Interactive don't handle the distribution of the Starhawk Private BETA vouchers (SONY handles that), I can give you some info on why some 1000+ hour Generals may not have gotten a voucher from SONY.

1. In order for someone to get an invite from SONY, they must have opted into the PlayStation Network Mailing List. This then allows SONY to engage the player and give them various things like BETA invites. So maybe the player(s) you are talking about did not want to be considered for those promotions? They are all "YES" by default so they would have had to have intentionally disabled them.Here's some more info on that: http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=936

2. The player(s) may not have been 18 years old. This is just one of the rules that SONY adheres to so that to receive a BETA invite you must be at least 18 years of age.

3. If a player(s) has an invalid email addy then invites can not be sent to that person. This one seems like a no-brainer but you would be surprised how often this happens :)

So these are the top 3 reasons why they might not have gotten an invite to the Starhawk BETA. Doesn't really make it any better, but I wanted to let you know that those veteran players were not being intentionally ignored!!

What will make it better is this...

If you know of *ANY* Warhawk vet that should be in the Starhawk BETA that is not, please post their PSN handle to this thread and I will personally message them an invite. We care deeply about our fans and we want them taken care of. I don't have a ton of BETA codes but SONY did give me a set of codes that I could use for personal use and I see no-better reason than to give them to our fans.

And hell, I work so much I don't have that many friends ;-)

Thanks for helping us test Starhawk. We certainly have some kinks that need to be worked out, as expected for an early BETA, so thanks for your patience! It makes a massive difference to have fans give us feedback, criticism, etc.

-dylan

PS: Warhawk vets *will* be getting something special above and beyond just being in the Starhawk BETA!

tfur

<rant>

I guess what really baffles me...

How do you create a game like Warhawk, and have the hawk flight, weapons dynamics and physics so well tuned... and then create a successor to the game and throw all of that out of the window. Warhawk was nearly perfectly tuned... Even the rocket launcher lockon is gimped now...

The basic mechanics of one of the best multi player games, ever, was already tuned in Warhawk. Maybe those people no longer work at LightBox, or they do not have the WH source code?

I mean honestly, the only real change that needed to be made to the Warhawks was getting rid of the Normal flight exploits. Now, the speed, the feel, the physics, the weapons, the weapons guidance/tracking all fell slow and gimped. Maybe its the lack of dedicated servers and lag.

Maybe its just the poor frame rate or lag, but if feels like the grace of Warhawks' air combat is gone.

</rant>

Still enjoy the ground combat, and with more vehicles it will be even more fun.

I like the build a battle, but I think there should be more things already built perhaps.

3rdamention - do you want my code? I got an email from Sony but don't plan on using it. Was looking to sell it but would rather just give it away to a fellow Warhawk vet. PM me.

(note: this isn't an open invitation for everyone to PM me, just an offer for 3rdamention)

**edited**

3rdamention - check your PM.

Dude, that is an awesome gesture. I was just wanting to vent/whine but I wasn't asking for a handout. I really appreciate it. I would love to add you up on the PSN if I haven't already. Thanks again bro!!

I'm playing now and one thing I can say is this:

a) The game feels so slow now. No real jump into battle feel.
b) Apparently you can break missile locks by transforming your Hawk to mech mode and retransforming back, which HAS to be fixed.
c) No hotwiring (stealing) of enemy buildings? I thought you could do that...
d) Mic support is sketchy.

Damn, most impressions seem to be negative. Up until the announcement of Starhawk, all I wanted from a Warhawk successor was was more of the same, not for the developers to attempt to recreate the wheel.

I'll keep my expectations in check for when I finally get to play the game, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed right now.

So I've only played this a little bit, but here's some things that I personally would like. Mind, I only played Warhawk slightly and got this code thanks to Phantast2k.

Personally I feel like the flag carrier should be encouraged to have teammates with him when stealing the flag. As it is, I think it's sort of annoying for the carrier to be able to run the same speed, build a garage, and then quickly use a Razorback to quickly cap a flag. While this places more emphasis on defense and flag awareness, I feel like either the carrier should run slower with the flag, or be unable to drive the Razorback. One or the other.

After playing a bunch of Uncharted 3 recently, it's really made me want the ability to combat roll. I feel like the on-foot combat is okay, but is a little bit too 'loose' for my liking. All of the weapons feel sort of sloppy to me, especially the grenades. Not sure how they would go about doing it, but giving all the on foot weapons a tighter feel would help a lot. Melee feels very wonky to me too.

I like the idea of placing spawn points, but at times being trapped in the spawn just becomes way too frustrating. I understand that this game centers around teamwork and you should be punished for letting that happen, but at the same time being trapped in spawn with the other team totally oppressing your team from all angles is no fun. lol

I really do not think this game will work well with randoms, and will turn lots of casual players off. I can only imagine the massacre that would happen if a team of micless randoms faced off against a team of friends who were communicating and coordinating.

I think the game is fun, but it's definitely a beta. There seems to be a lot of polishing left to do for this, and I'd be surprised if it released earlier than Fall 2012. The guys at Lightbox seem to be listening to the all the feedback though, so I'm sure it'll improve overtime.

Damn, most impressions seem to be negative. Up until the announcement of Starhawk, all I wanted from a Warhawk successor was was more of the same, not for the developers to attempt to recreate the wheel.

I'll keep my expectations in check for when I finally get to play the game, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed right now.
Alot of it is whining, and it IS a beta. I will say I like this game though, this isn't supposed to be like Warhawk.

"[Starhawk] isn't Warhawk, wasn't meant to be Warhawk part II, 2.0 or otherwise. I gotta say, if I wanted to still play Warhawk, all I gotta do is go put it back into the PS3 and play it...

... It's a whole new game that's in desperate need of our assistance to help improve it."
- GenXGamer

EDIT: RUH ROH SERVERS ACTING UP...

Violater

Got my code, will bitch about the game later.
Add me on PSN if you guys play regularly, though I wont be able to play much till the 17th

Alot of it is whining, and it IS a beta. I will say I like this game though, this isn't supposed to be like Warhawk.

EDIT: RUH ROH SERVERS ACTING UP...

No, it's obvious that Starhawk is a spiritual successor to Warhawk. The two games share tons of similarities (the names being the most obvious). If this game was truly meant to be removed from Warhawk, the developers wouldn't be looking for feedback from Warhawk vets and pros. I'm just bummed at the direction the developers chose to take the franchise.

Zoibie

Really want in ugh!

Anyone have any good impressions? lol

any new footage?

I think the ground combat is a lot better than in Warhawk. The build and battle stuff is pretty cool too, the beam gun is a really useful addition.

After a couple of games, my main gripe with the game is with the HUD. Give us a health bar instead of the jam filter, especially in the hawks where there's no health regen.

No, it's obvious that Starhawk is a spiritual successor to Warhawk. The two games share tons of similarities (the names being the most obvious). If this game was truly meant to be removed from Warhawk, the developers wouldn't be looking for feedback from Warhawk vets and pros. I'm just bummed at the direction the developers chose to take the franchise.
Spiritual successor =/= The same, which is what I was trying to say. Besides, there are two weeks left.

demolitio

The wait to play this is killing me. I need to get on the hype train since it's been underrated so far. It was definitely smart not to release anywhere near the other games this year...

Atruvius

I've been refreshing this page for two hours waiting for someone to give their code. :D One of my PSN buddies got a code and I am jealous, really jealous.

YoungHav

Banned
Got a code for this but I only have around 65hrs logged in Warhawk. Maybe because I Day 1'd the game? When life is good why ask why?

Sucks though, I wanted this earlier, looks like I am going back to Karkand all night.

Top Bottom