• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: 3DS sells 371,326 in 2 days. Layton top selling game

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
First time ever a 3rd Party game is the top seller at a nintendo hardware launch....right ?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Maybe its got the top grossing platform launch?

KingDizzi

Banned
Good stuff my time machine is working, I'm back to within a couple minutes of the 3DS launch so should be able to pick one up, next up need to stop Ricky Gervais parents from meeting for the good of man kind.

Edit - Any Nintendogs figures? Of all the released games it will have the biggest legs.

EVH

Nirolak said:
Street Fighter's sales are abysmal in Japan relative to the rest of the world.

Like sub-200K lifetime sales for the console entries abysmal.

Wow that sucks :( I thought that It was to get the top, as SSFIV looks like the bigger game at launch.

Truth101

Banned
Nirolak said:
Street Fighter's sales are abysmal in Japan relative to the rest of the world.

Like sub-200K lifetime sales for the console entries of IV abysmal.

So, if the 3DS version gets around 80k sales at launch, that would be considered pretty good right?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
btw, I hope they are considering a Luigi's Mansion sequel for the 3DS. The dollhouse style of the game could look gorgeous in 3D. *Picturing the specters floating in and out of the screen.* Though, lack of c-stick could make mapping the controls tricky.

markot said:
When you get to hell, tell them Layton sent you >.<

hutz.png

The Professor Layton games are so great! I'm really disappointed that it isn't a launch game everywhere.
Professor Layton > Phoenix Wright. :3

Izayoi

Banned
Fallen_Hero said:
The Professor Layton games are so great!
They are much better than the Phoenix Wright games. :3
I would say that they are both great series.

Also, since I can't find the Layton middle finger gif, an image to celebrate the occasion.

nQ1hO.jpg

Izayoi said:
I would say that they are both great series.

Also, since I can't find the Layton middle finger gif, an image to celebrate the occasion.

http://i.imgur.com/nQ1hO.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

More like:

[img]http://666kb.com/i/brd51fni8bx33kg9j.jpg

Comparisons to NDS? Anyone? I know that beats the shit outta the PS3 and Wii launches.

Oh and thank you GAF for finally letting me post. :D

Izayoi

Banned
Kyoufu said:
NGP will do similar numbers.
Uh...

duckroll said:
Lowest Layton first week opening ever, and it's still #1 at launch. Says a lot.
It does? What does it say?

I don't normally follow Japanese numbers, so the only thing I have to go off of here are the attach rates, which seem pretty impressive so far.

duckroll said:

Yes it says that 1 in 3 3DS owners bought the game...

How can you possibly expect Mask of Miracle to match the openings of the DS games? It's not really possible when the userbase is still tiny.

duckroll

Izayoi said:

I don't normally follow Japanese numbers, so the only thing I have to go off of here are the attach rates, which seem pretty impressive so far.

Layton is a series in ongoing decline, but there are still a bunch of very hardcore fans, unaffected by platform shifts. At the same time, it also indicates that there is no stronger Japanese brand at the launch of the system.

cw_sasuke

duckroll said:

This is hardly a suprise considering the difference in userbase between 3ds and ds. But since there isnt that much competition right now on 3ds, i hope it will have longer legs than the last DS titles and sell well into this holiday season.

Ratrat

Izayoi said:
Uh...

japan = in decline. :(

duckroll

cw_sasuke said:
This is hardly a suprise considering the difference in userbase between 3ds and ds.

But that has nothing to do at all with Level 5. The budget for each Layton game is increasing more and more, but the sales are going down. Same with Final Fantasy. The budget goes up with each game, but now the sales are declining because of a smaller installed base on the PS3. Decline is decline. Level 5 is spending more and more money on Layton games, and making less and less with each one.

duckroll said:
Layton is a series in ongoing decline, but there are still a bunch of very hardcore fans, unaffected by platform shifts. At the same time, it also indicates that there is no stronger Japanese brand at the launch of the system.

Or maybe that the sales are limited by the size of the 3DS userbase? How can you say that the fanbase is unaffected by platform shifts when the series has never shifted platforms before?

How do you know that the shift in platform and the new features/gameplay mechanics that it brings won't spark more interest in the series?

Talk about calling doom and gloom way too early.

Truth101

Banned
duckroll said:

You have to take into consideration the fact that the DS install base is around 90x larger than the 3DS install base and Layton is highly aimed at casuals, who might not be buying a system at launch. So it should have relatively good legs and it might even revitalize the series in Japan like Level-5 hopes.

Izayoi

Banned
duckroll said:
Ratrat said:
japan = in decline. :(
Ah, okay. Makes sense.

Thanks for the analysis.

Cygnus X-1

duckroll said:

Decline? Seriously? I really was not aware of that. But I remember somehow that Layton 4 sold less than Layton 3.

duckroll

szaromir said:
That's a relief, worse than COD-level milkage shouldn't be rewarded.

It's not a relief, because even in decline it's more profitable than most other Japanese franchises out there. It'll take another 2-3 installments before it starts to lose significance.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Decline? Seriously? I really was not aware of that. But I remember somehow that Layton 4 sold less than Layton 3.

Yes, every Layton game has sold less than the previous one. Layton 1 had a SHIT TON of legs, and crossed a million eventually. Layton 2 is a little bit behind on that, Layton 3 got to 800k+, and Layton 4 hasn't been able to get to 700k.

cw_sasuke

duckroll said:
But that has nothing to do at all with Level 5. The budget for each Layton game is increasing more and more, but the sales are going down. Same with Final Fantasy. The budget goes up with each game, but now the sales are declining because of a smaller installed base on the PS3. Decline is decline. Level 5 is spending more and more money on Layton games, and making less and less with each one.

Layton isnt just about Japan anymore, im sure they are makin more than enough money or they wouldnt even put that much effort in it. Even if the game now costs more than lets say the first Layton title (which should be the norm on 3DS for pretty much every game series relative to the DS), they still sell a well amount. How many 3rd party would be happy nowadays to have an IP that can be released every year and sell at least 500K ? The development costs are higher than on DS, but still way less than you would expect for a home console game.

Im pretty sure they have streamlined the development process of Layton games so far, that the development costs arent that high. It looks awesome and all, but its not like they are loosing money if it sells less than a million in japan. But at the end - after 5 games in 5 years a decline is likely to happen. Still the DS vs. 3DS comparison doesnt hold much weight.....the userbase difference is just too large. 3DS hasnt been out for a week.

Top Bottom