• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I still want to know what the Halo CE and Halo 2 maps that didn't get the treatment look like. I can't imagine the old textures at 1080p.

I still want to know what the Halo CE and Halo 2 maps that didn't get the treatment look like. I can't imagine the old textures at 1080p.

BOS4FKY.jpg

Ryaaan14

Banned
I though all of the models were going to stay intact, except for the 6 remade maps in the new engine

Oh...wut?

That's what Ryaaan14 is referring to, presumably.

Edit: Err, maybe I read the post wrong. I don't know. Looks like the post does imply new effects on old maps.

I was assuming only the maps themselves were gonna be untouched. So what da hell...you'll only have shiny new character models in the anniversary maps?

Need clarification here pls

HTupolev

I was assuming only the maps themselves were gonna be untouched. So what da hell...you'll only have shiny new character models in the anniversary maps?

They never said anything about remastered Halo 2 MP. It sounds like Halo 2 MP is Halo 2 MP.

Combining visual layers would be technically quirky and look extremely weird; all old or all new would probably look better than a lopsided mix of new dynamic assets on old level detail.

I'm not a big halo fan but nobody can argue that this is one of the best value propositions in all of gaming. I can't wait to pick this and have something to play on my Xbone.

belushy

Banned
Oh...wut?

You'll have two "Halo 2" Mp experiences in MCC.

Halo 2 Anniversary - The visually remastered maps, character, and gun models that will be played on a modified modern engine with Halo 2-like mechanics.

Halo 2 Original MP - MP as it was when it was out on the original Xbox. No character models, maps, gun models, or gameplay mechanics are changed. Only difference is that it will be boosted up to 1080p and the framerate will be boosted to 60 FPS.

Ryaaan14

Banned
They never said anything about remastered Halo 2 MP. It sounds like Halo 2 MP is Halo 2 MP.

Combining visual layers would be technically quirky and look extremely weird; all old or all new would probably look better than a lopsided mix of new dynamic assets on old level detail.

So, let me get this straight.

You go into the 6 redone maps and your Spartan and guns look all Xboney.

You go into the weaksauce unpopular peeon maps and it's all oldschool including your character and guns.

In matchmaking, if you get an old map, you all look oldtimey.

If you get a new map you all look Xboney.

Is there an old variant of the redone maps too?

So, let me get this straight.

You go into the 6 redone maps and your Spartan and guns look all Xboney. Yes

You go into the weaksauce unpopular peeon maps and it's all oldschool including your character and guns. Err...yes

In matchmaking, if you get an old map, you all look oldtimey. Yes

If you get a new map you all look Xboney. If you mean by the 6 new anniversary halo 2 variants, yes.

Yes to the bolded. Every map in Halo history + 6 redone Halo 2 maps. Character models are only different in Halo CE: A Campaign (with new graphics on), Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign (with new graphics on), and Halo 2 "anniversary" mode (new engine) on those 6 maps. No difference of models in CE MP, Not in regular H2 MP, Not in Halo 3 at all, not in Halo 4 at all.

Ryaaan14

Banned

Yes to the bolded. Every map in Halo history + 6 redone Halo 2 maps. Character models are only different in Halo CE: A Campaign (with new graphics on), Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign (with new graphics on), and Halo 2 "anniversary" mode (new engine) on those 6 maps. No difference of models in CE MP, Not in regular H2 MP, Not in Halo 3 at all, not in Halo 4 at all.

YYp3Bs1.gif

My brain can't handle all these variants.

Ubersnug

I posted this in the other master Chief collection thread, but thought I would try here as well.

Using the xbox feedback site, I've submitted my interest/idea in a collectors edition of the Master Chief collection. But, given the very low response it currently has, and the multitude of other similar ideas that have since appeared, I'm doubtful my suggestion will have any influence. But, if anyone is interested in at least putting their vote against one of these suggestions, the cumulative votes from all the similar suggestions may help convince them.

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...6038354-halo-master-chief-edition-collectors-

HTupolev

Yes. The original Halo 2 multiplayer is all there. The redone maps (complete with forge and whatnot) aren't even running in the Halo 2 engine on a gameplay level; they're a new game that appears to be closely based on Halo 4 with a Halo 2-like configuration.

My brain can't handle all these variants.
Yeah, it's a pretty messy product. Basically:

CEA Campaign
H2A Campaign
Halo 3 Campaign
Halo 4 Campaign
CE MP
Halo 2 MP
Crazy frankenstein Halo 2-esque modern MP
Halo 3 MP
Halo 4 MP

Ryaaan14

Banned
Yes. The original Halo 2 multiplayer is all there. The redone maps (complete with forge and whatnot) aren't even running in the Halo 2 engine on a gameplay level; they're a new game that appears to be closely based on Halo 4 with a Halo 2-like configuration.

Yeah, it's a pretty messy product. Basically:

CEA Campaign
H2A Campaign
Halo 3 Campaign
Halo 4 Campaign
CE MP
Halo 2 MP
Crazy frankenstein Halo 2-esque modern MP
Halo 3 MP
Halo 4 MP

Am I alone here in thinking this shit should be explained more clearly? I can see a few people being shook by this.

Don't get me wrong I'm still super hyped but god damn.

HTupolev

Am I alone here in thinking this shit should be explained more clearly?
No. What's really annoying about it is how a lot of the language causing confusion almost feels pointlessly misleading, like "Halo 2 forge is a thing."

Refer to the OP. It's lengthy, but it explains it.

Solidsoul

Banned
No. What's really annoying about it is how a lot of the language causing confusion almost feels pointlessly misleading, like "Halo 2 forge is a thing."

Refer to the OP. It's lengthy, but it explains it.

Forge is usable for the 6 halo 2 maps redone with the new engine. You can't use forge for original Halo 2 maps.

HTupolev

Forge is usable for the 6 halo 2 maps redone with the new engine. You can't use forge for original Halo 2 maps.
That's my point. Frankie said "Halo 2 forge is a thing" to announce the presence of Forge on the new-engine stuff, hence my "almost feels pointlessly misleading" comment.

I dunno. My patience for spin spin spin from 343i has been hanging on a mighty thin thread ever since Fourteen Day Buy and Play. Very direct honesty looks better than stretching to make things sound good, especially when you have a product that does not need weird spin in order to generate hype.

Solidsoul

Banned
That's my point. Frankie said "Halo 2 forge is a thing" to announce the presence of Forge on the new-engine stuff, hence my "almost feels pointlessly misleading" comment.

Yeah, just trying to help further clarify for everyone in the thread.

If you look at it, it's not that crazy. When they released Halo CE Anniversary, they remade Halo 1 maps in the Halo Reach engine. This, understandably displeased many fans of the original multiplayer. So now, to please everyone they are including remade Halo 2 maps with a new engine much like they did with CE. Then so that everyone is happy they are including all of the original multiplayer in its purest form. This way pretty much everyone's wants/desires is filled in one unique package.

I'm so pumped!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh, it's only 6 remade total? I thought that was just all they had for E3 or something. That's weird.

jem0208

Yeah, just trying to help further clarify for everyone in the thread.

If you look at it, it's not that crazy. When they released Halo CE Anniversary, they remade Halo 1 maps in the Halo 4 engine. This, understandably displeased many fans of the original multiplayer. So now, to please everyone they are including remade Halo 2 maps with a new engine much like they did with CE. Then so that everyone is happy they are including all of the original multiplayer in its purest form. This way pretty much everyone's wants/desires is filled in one unique package.

I'm so pumped!

The CE maps were remade in the Reach engine btw, not 4's.

Dead

well not really...yet
Reach isn't in the package thank god. The originals play perfectly.
to each their own. Reach is the best overall Halo work. Sucks that it isn't included, but understandable considering this is the "master chief collection"

Takashi

I thought all of H2 was getting anniversary'd...

Not the case?

The campaign and cutscenes are getting remastered

Edit: from the OP

All of the original Halo 2 maps are playable, including Halo 2 Vista and DLC maps.

In addition to the old maps, six Halo 2 maps are being remastered on a "newish" Xbox One engine that "feels like a modern take on Halo 2". These maps allow Forge editing

Completely remastered Halo 2 Campaign including "Anniversary graphics", music, and sound effects, as well as Story Terminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom