• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Truant

Fantastic title. I should really get back to this game soon, the story really picks up after you climb the corporate building and learn about Zero Dawn.

Hnetuduft

This guy holds one of the most interesting sidequests in the game, and it's so easily missed if you don't explore the world.

horizonzerodawn_201704nuoe.png

horizonzerodawn_20170n3u93.png

Where do I find it? I just finished Maker's End. Maybe I've missed it.

GLAMr

Ugh, that terrible troll clickbait USgamer score... Robbed this game of the 90% MC score this game deserves.

The platinum was also an absolute treat to earn. HZD and Bloodborne should be the template for all trophy systems.

The
blue sand dunes is the Pacific Ocean

Whoever wrote it had never seen the sea.

Holy shit, I'm on my phone and thought that second pic was cosplay. The lighting is crazy there.

lol, funny you should mention that, because
after I typed that I realized one of the things was referring to the ocean, but I think it's the "Ancient city under sour water that makes you sick" one. That and the blue sand dunes are listed separately, and while I think it would be reasonable that someone might mistake the ocean for a giant lake, I feel like mistaking a large body of water for a sand dune is a bridge too far. My guess is that the blue sand may have been where nuclear strikes crystallized the sand, because it's mentioned that there are tons of dead machines in them.

One last thing i been wondering is where on the map is that area from the 2015 e3 reveal Would be nice if someone could highlight that spot on the map for me.

BumRush

yeah, i got that, but even if i hit their weak point with my regular bow (that doesn't do tear damage), i do like 29 instead of 20 damage.

But thanks, i'm always hesitant to buy gear in games where i feel like the game would hand me upgrades throughout the story.

But i got like 8000 metal shards already, so might as well spend em.

Once you get purple gear plus great weapon mods, things die a lot faster. That happens before the midway point.

Alpende

Those fucking Rockbreakers. Can't keep them from going underground.

Only time I won against them was when I had a Ravager gun.

What are your tactics guys?

I usually keep quite a bit of distance between it and me, use arrows to hit his paws so he can't go underground anymore. As others have said, freeze the sucker for extra damage.

do i "get" said purple gear? or will i need to buy it?

I believe you can get some purples through the Hunting Lodge but I'd just buy them. The purple ropecaster is godly.

b0bbyJ03

I usually keep quite a bit of distance between it and me, use arrows to hit his paws so he can't go underground anymore. As others have said, freeze the sucker for extra damage.

I believe you can get some purples through the Hunting Lodge but I'd just buy them. The purple ropecaster is godly.

They have a spot under their belly that's vulnerable to high damage arrows. If you've got triple shot equipped u can shot them once with a triple shot and it's like a gas tank explosion. Leaves them with like 10% of their health. After that a few freeze sling shots will make quick work of them.

TsuWave

do i "get" said purple gear? or will i need to buy it?

you buy most purple gear except hunter's lodge weapons, which you get by completing hunter's trials with "blazing suns" grades (hunter's lodge weapons have slightly better base stats than their other purple counterparts)

the mods however is where the true strength comes from and you "get" purple mods by killing big beasts like thunderjaws and stormbirds. if you're lucky they'll drop some triple stat mods.

MaKTaiL

One last thing i been wondering is where on the map is that area from the 2015 e3 reveal Would be nice if someone could highlight that spot on the map for me.
Do you mean the wide open area from the first reveal or the one where we get to see the Corruptor for the first time? The wide open area does not exist in the game. The second area is still there but with a few changes, right after you leave the Mother's Embrace.

pastrami

yeah, i got that, but even if i hit their weak point with my regular bow (that doesn't do tear damage), i do like 29 instead of 20 damage.

But thanks, i'm always hesitant to buy gear in games where i feel like the game would hand me upgrades throughout the story.

But i got like 8000 metal shards already, so might as well spend em.

Expand your arsenal.
Freezing enemies makes them take double damage and the Fire Bellowbacks are vulnerable to freezing. Only takes two freeze bombs.

And the game doesn't hand you upgrades for weapons you can upgrade yourself. I guess this isn't strictly true because of the Hunter's Lodge weapons, but AFAIK they are only slight upgrades to the top weapons you can buy yourself. Also, the weapons don't get stronger, they just give you more ammo types. The exception is the rope caster, which doesn't do more damage, but higher tiers require fewer wires to tie enemies down.

hydruxo

Truly the GOAT OT title.

I miss this game, one of the only games I've ever played where I platinumed it and fully completed it but still wanted to keep playing. I need that expansion asap. Playing ME:A right now and its fun but man, even though Bioware is not what they used to be, it is seriously impressive that GG outdid a studio who primarily makes RPGs with their first foray into the genre.

mitchman

Gold Member
Those fucking Rockbreakers. Can't keep them from going underground.

Only time I won against them was when I had a Ravager gun.

What are your tactics guys?

For instant kill: Lay a bunch of explosive wires in an area. Fire a single arrow just beneath them and wait for the rockbreaker to sense and jump on top of the wires. How many you need depends on the dmg mods you use, but with enough, it's an instant kill. Rinse and repeat.

We should come up with ideas for hardcore runs

The game definitely lends itself pretty well for this kind challenge, because pretty much all enemy types can be approached multiple ways.

The way i'm playing, you're pretty much required to run around with 2 of each bow, modded for Damage/Tear, Fire, Ice and Shock; and you need to be very conscious of what parts of each machine you're targeting. You need to be very, very deliberate with your fighting. Reminds me of going through Dead Space 1 and 2 with only a Plasma Cutter, my preferred way to play those games.

noomi

A lot of progress in the last few days!

I've ditched doing stories/side quests and have been focusing on exploring, gathering rare materials and discovering the last few machines I haven't seen.

I'm about level 28ish now...

Got brave and fought my first thunderjaw (was pretty easy) and explored some more and was attacked by a stormbird or whatever it's called.... that was a really though fight. Ran out of all ammo types, and basically had to hit it with bitch arrows for the last quarter of it's health lol.

I like this game :D

Top Bottom