• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Sayad

Been watching twitch streams archives of people going through the start of C and E ending, watching someone else suffer through a game hasn't been this fun since watching a friend go through Demon Souls for the first time like 8 years ago. Can't wait until my brother start playing this.

Just wanna come by and say thanks to everyone that sacrificed their save to help me out. I was getting a bit heated there actually lol.

Also, did the first person to beat the game have to do this all by himself with the [E] credits? What a playa.

I actually managed to solo that part. Took many retries though. Doesn't give you anything special other than a tension feeling and good sleep.

Also want to say, i wasn´t all that hot on 9s´ voice in the beginning. It was fine, just nothing outstanding to me. But once past route B. I was actually legit impressed by the quality of the english voice work. Could have been EASILY funny and cringy but dude made it work.

I actually managed to solo that part. Took many retries though. Doesn't give you anything special other than a tension feeling and good sleep.

Damn. Props to you.

Ferrio

Banned
Also want to say, i wasn´t all that hot on 9s´ voice in the beginning. It was fine, just nothing outstanding to me. But once past route B. I was actually legit impressed by the quality of the english voice work. Could have been EASILY funny and cringy but dude made it work.

I liked the voice actor a lot, especially when I came into the game thinking I'd hate 9S. Then this scene happened and it's become one of my favorite dubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CofDy_LYAdM

Philippo

Kyle McCarley should really enter in the discussions about best performance of the year.

Been watching twitch streams archives of people going through the start of C and E ending, watching someone else suffer through a game hasn't been this fun since watching a friend go through Demon Souls for the first time like 8 years ago. Can't wait until my brother start playing this.

Yeah i'm usually not into let's plays but NieR:A is the perfect game for reaction videos.

Ferr986

9S voice was fantastic since first minute IMO. He also helped to made 9S pretty likeable.

Kind of hated 9S in Route C even though I liked him at first but I guess it was supposed to be this way, and the VA helped a lot not making the character feel overly cringey.

Tbh the three androids had fantastic VAs.

Espada

9S voice was fantastic since first minute IMO. He also helped to made 9S pretty likeable.

Kind of hated 9S in Route C even though I liked him at first but I guess it was supposed to be this way, and the VA helped a lot not making the character feel overly cringey.

Tbh the three androids had fantastic VAs.

Yeah, I think you're supposed to hate 9S, the guy is a loathsome, raging lunatic at that point. His VA is easily one of the best this year, and as you said, the three playable characters had great VAs. Even folks like Pascal had good voices.

Ferrio

Banned
People hated 9S at the end? Odd I had the opposite reaction, I felt way more for the character the worse he got. One of the few times where a character has descended into madness which is 100% justified.

As much as Kyle deserves some nods for best performance, I'm sure Ashly Burch (I havent yet played Horizon so she could very well deserve it), or whoever plays the lead in Red Dead Redemption 2 will win it, just because those are the kinds of games that win that award.

Ferr986

People hated 9S at the end? Odd I had the opposite reaction, I felt way more for the character the worse he got. One of the few times where a character has descended into madness which is 100% justified.

I mean it was justified but he turned to be kind of an unlikable ass to me, kinda like (Nier 1 spoiler)
Nier turned into more of a mass murdered
but with way more melodrama. He couldn't never put 2B death past behind and keep going down and down, avoiding to reason with A2 and ignoring machines problems even more than before. He turns into a psycho lunatic guy and is hard to like a guy like this even if its totally justified (atleast to me, of course lol).

As I said though it felt like it was done to be that way so it's not like he was unlikable because it was a bad character, but because YT wanted me to show how such a good character could spiral down to that. It was kinda like in Nier 1 but harsher.

Moaradin

Yeah, I always felt really bad for the dude. I liked him a lot throughout the game and felt his frustration when everyone was giving him the cold shoulder.

My man got a raw deal.

Just finished C/D/E in one sitting, even as a fan of the previous Nier this game has exceeded my expectations in such a spectacular fashion that I cannot but sit here and be in awe.

Somewhere along the way whilst playing this game I've become so heavily invested in the characters within it that even though everything concluded beautifully a part of me wishes that there had been more after Route E.

9S did the "Hero descending into villain" thing far better than MGSV ever hoped to do.

Character and plot wise MGSV is a pretty low bar, that's how bad they botched it. That said, looking back on it, Huey is a pretty good example of a character you'd previously be sympathetic towards descending into a degenerate scum of a person. I could see someone like him fitting in a Yoko Taro game.

Golnei

I think it was during the JP VA/Character trailer. Joji Nakata's character was just marked ???. Turned out to be nothing in the end lol.

The Terminals' involvement was kind of a spoiler, so I can understand why they'd have done it just looking at Automata alone - but I can see how it would have worked to tease a connection with Nier that didn't exist, though I'm not completely sure if it was intentional.

addik

The Terminals' involvement was kind of a spoiler, so I can understand why they'd have done it just looking at Automata alone - but I can see how it would have worked to tease a connection with Nier that didn't exist, though I'm not completely sure if it was intentional.

Did he voice the terminals too? I thought he only did the Council of Humanity's voice, but I could be 100% wrong on this.

I guess it was pretty unintentional, but I remember people thinking Nier has to show up in this game at one point, given that the title is still Nier. So when Joji Nakata's character was teased, some people quickly thought it was going to be Nier.

Setsu00

Did he voice the terminals too? I thought he only did the Council of Humanity's voice, but I could be 100% wrong on this.

I guess it was pretty unintentional, but I remember people thinking Nier has to show up in this game at one point, given that the title is still Nier. So when Joji Nakata's character was teased, some people quickly thought it was going to be Nier.

Nakata voiced the Terminals AFAIK.

Gbraga

I mean, the first game didn't have a default name, it came all blank and you typed whatever you wanted. You can also name your save file Nier in this one if you want to. :p

Even the files referring to him always use Original, Brother and Dad, never Nier, even though they call Yonah by her name, so it's not like the information was lost or anything.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That is something I always wondered about that scene. Did the twins decide to make an ark before or after their consciousness data get saturated? If before, why were they still trying to be dicks to the androids? :p

Jintor

well it must have been after right?

Adam's reason for existence was to understand humans by tearing them apart, but once they decide to Ark, there's no reason for them to show up to fuck with 9s and 2b anymore.

It kinda only really makes sense if the machine consciousness is already fractured even before you allow the Terminals to multiply.

Antiwhippy

well it must have been after right?

It's kind of ambiguous to me. They talked about seeing the light at the end but the saturation announcement happens after too, so you CAN interpret the light comment as part of their monologue instead of something they just recently realised.

I guess just because they transcended or whatever doesn't mean that they aren't dicks. :p

Golnei

That is something I always wondered about that scene. Did the twins decide to make an ark before or after their consciousness data get saturated? If before, why were they still trying to be dicks to the androids? :p

I would assume after - if it were beforehand, maybe the misinformation of it being intended to destroy the moon server, as well as continuing to present an active threat to the androids, was just in service to continuing to provide an impetus to adapt and evolve until the very end. But the construction of the ark in itself implies they view the ongoing struggle as no longer being worthwhile, so it is difficult to reconcile with their actions throughout Route C.

Also, in hindsight, I wonder if the evolutionary branch that resulted in the Half-Wit Inventor was used as reference for the Tower's design...

It kinda only really makes sense if the machine consciousness is already fractured even before you allow the Terminals to multiply.

Maybe they had progressed to the point of being in conflict with themselves (leading to the ark plan being prepared for alongside perpetuating the conflict on Earth), but it wasn't until their catastrophic saturation that the divide between them was stressed enough for them to actually realise their ideological differences were irreconcilable. That would also make sense in light of them appearing as two distinct entities (Alpha and Beta) even four years prior to the game, during the events of the YoRHa play.

Antiwhippy

Thing is the library does indicate that they had plans to preserve data through the ark right when the cannon was created? If not why would it be in there?

I think Pod 153 questioning why the tower would even have an entrance is the key here. I think they had plans for the ark but they wanted to tests the androids till the very end, especially with one that knew the entire machinations behind the scene. They do seem to love social experiments.

Jintor

also i finally finished watching a Nier LP and now I need to go back over this thread for the hidden spoilers inside the spoiler thread. lol.

jett

D-Member
9S went off the deep end, I couldn't side with him at all. He was pretty much malfunctioning at that point. It was android disposal time.

Replaying the game since I did the thing your meant to do and discovered you can spare Augustus. Beat him and his brothers and headed straight for the door and no A2 massacre cutscenes.

Top Bottom