• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Altered Carbon, new Netflix series (release date 02.02.2018)

llien

Based on the award-winning novel, Altered Carbon takes place in a future where the human mind can now be digitized and downloaded into a "cortical stack" and placed into new bodies, called sleeves.

The series follows Envoy soldier Takeshi Kovacs (Joel Kinnaman), who is brought back to life centuries later to investigate the attempted murder of Laurens Bancroft (James Purefoy), the wealthiest man on Earth. As the investigation progresses, Kovacs comes to learn that his past isn’t nearly as buried as he thought.

The series debuts exclusively on Netflix February 2nd, 2018.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7Eob4YFDQ

Bleh

Neo Member
Kovacs is a Hungarian surname if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he's multi-racial? (I do think it's a weird choice though.)

Faynwulf

Why is a white guy's name "Takeshi"

Didn't take long.

He's half japanese, half "eastern-european". Of course with sleeves that doesn't matter.

I don't want to say too much. :p

I'm completely hyped, I really love the series and hope Netflix nails this.

MaKTaiL

Read the first sentence of this thread.

The novel is one of my favorite pieces of sci-fi, though I have severe doubts Netflix will do it justice.

If anyone can do it justice is Netflix. You wouldn't want this to become a movie (because you know how movie adaptations work most of the time and it's not good) and you wouldn't want it to go to places like ABC or FOX, so be happy.

i heard about this couple days ago. something about netflix putting shit load of money behind this, which is great since there arn't any sci-fi netflix original series.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Well Netflix have have been taking my money for a while now and I’ve enjoyed shows like the expanse and discovery so let’s see how they do with this 😀

Always good to get some more sci-fi and I love how with a decent budget and effects the stories are able to come to life really well.

Love how Netflix is praised for its yearly fee per month and the programmes it produces and the BBC who produces far more content over multiple platforms also including iPlayer the license fee is seen as an evil thing

I'm afraid that Netflicks likes to make his productions safe 16+ at best while the source material really asks for 18+ but we will see. This trailer was solid and nice introduction into the setting.

Why is a white guy's name "Takeshi"

First he is from Harlan World which was colonized by wealthy Japanise colonists and Hungarian workers and over the years both cultures heavily mixed so having japanise name and hungarian surname isn't anything weird.

Second they have technology which saves your memories into a disc from altered carbon. This means every human can have backup or be moved to diffrent body. As such your body is just what you bough/borrowed/got equiped with.

Third - as logical consequence of second point - it's much cheaper to send your data to other planet when it will be put into spare body instead of physical travel.

Top Bottom