• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: The 'PS Vita Isn't A Very Strong Product'

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Still no official Monster Hunter on your precious Vita? I think Nintendo dun pulled a boner on all you Vita fans.. Moneyhatting about.. then Miyamoto comes out dual wielding gunz blastin and mowing you mo-fo's down.. I like his style, acting all Ninja n shit.. Oh snap, he just leveled up now! The butt hurt is only gettin bigger!

A fitting username.

shamanick

Accurate or not, I find it a little distasteful when creative types speak ill of their competition. It's not like Nintendo isn't stronger than Sony right now. Ninty ain't making Medal of Honor to Sony's COD.

P90

Yeah, um... he's right.

I have to agree with him. The PSP offers most everything the Vita does. $ for $, and in absolute terms, The iPad 3 blows the Vita away. The 3DS is a good extension of the DS family. That said, I will picking up a Vita, probably when P4 Golden is released and/or a major bundle or price drop makes it worth the entry fee. Proprietary memory cards, I'm lookin' at you.

BurntPork

Banned
the words went in but the brain didn't process them? Try reading what was said again...

I took Miyamoto as saying that it's not a strong product market-wise, which is completely undeniable.

Accurate or not, I find it a little distasteful when creative types speak ill of their competition. It's not like Nintendo isn't stronger than Sony right now. Ninty ain't making Medal of Honor to Sony's COD.

It was in an interview.

GeoramA

Still no official Monster Hunter on your precious Vita? I think Nintendo dun pulled a boner on all you Vita fans.. Moneyhatting about.. then Miyamoto comes out dual wielding gunz blastin and mowing you mo-fo's down.. I like his style, acting all Ninja n shit.. Oh snap, he just leveled up now! The butt hurt is only gettin bigger!
Wow...

This thread is going to be a graveyard.

Derrick01

Banned

Who are you even talking to? :lol

Famassu

Vita is a much better product and has a much better launch period than 3DS, yet it doesn't have Mario or Pokemon. That will possibly end up being its ultimate downfall.

Cipherr

I love how because its Miyamoto saying it makes it okay and he is right. Let someone else say it and its "LOL WAT?" or "Tool" or "LOL DIS FoOl DonOt KNow WAt He TALk AbOUt". Too many hypocrites

Really? You dont think people are agreeing because its factually true? Its all because its Miyamoto? Care to name a few names of these hypocrites? Or are you just trolling passing through.

Vita is a much better product and has a much better launch period than 3DS, yet it doesn't have Mario or Pokemon. That will possibly end up being its ultimate downfall.

1336111574610.gif

Vinci

Danish
Really? You dont think people are agreeing because its factually true? Its all because its Miyamoto? Care to name a few names of these hypocrites? Or are you just trolling passing through.

In his defense, I'm mostly agreeing because it's Miyamoto. He's my hero. I especially loved when he delayed Pikmin 3 for a fucking half-decade. Loved it.

jgmo870

Banned
I agree. I mean outside Persona 4 The Golden there is absolutely nothing that appeals to me on the vita. Maybe Gravity Daze? And...no really I can't think of anything else.

Ys, Legend of Heroes, Dragon's Crown, Malicious, DJ Max, LKS, PSO2, Ragnarok Odyssey?

OT: The main problem with the 3DS was the price point. Lack of must have games was the second problem for the masses. The Vita is in a similar situation. Price is the main thing obstructing the masses from buying it. Games come as the second thing.

Medalion

Banned
Neither launch for either portable was that spectacular
PS Vita will eventually stablize and get better like 3DS did

pramath

Banned
I think the title of this thread is a bit missleading.Many people won't bother read the interview or the OP and just commend on the title thinking Miyamoto is trolling.:/

A more appropriate title would've been:"Miyamoto:Vita is a very hi-spec machine,but it needs more games."That way it'd sound less like trolling.

Sorry, the source I originally got this from had that as the article title, and I just copied pasted that.
At that point, I did not have the link to the original, much less inflamatory post and title. Since then, I have edited the OP, but the title is beyond me, and a mod will have to do it I guess (even though technically, the thread title isn't wrong).

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
In his defense, I'm mostly agreeing because it's Miyamoto. He's my hero. I especially loved when he delayed Pikmin 3 for a fucking half-decade. Loved it.

It's for the best. I for one welcome glorious hd graphics Pikmin 3 instead of semi upgraded Gamecube graphics Pikmin 3.

Vinci

Danish
Ys, Legend of Heroes, Dragon's Crown, Malicious, DJ Max, LKS, PSO2, Ragnarok Odyssey?

OT: The main problem with the 3DS was the price point. Lack of must have games was the second problem for the masses. The Vita is in a similar situation. Price is the main thing obstructing the masses from buying it. Games come as the second thing.

Price is only ever a problem in relation to what the product offers. I'm not saying you're wrong - the 3DS was overpriced for what it offered at launch. Same with Vita. But that doesn't mean that neither could have sold at that price well given different games available and the timing of when those games hit.

It's for the best. I for one welcome glorious hd graphics Pikmin 3 instead of semi upgraded Gamecube graphics Pikmin 3.

You lack ambition. From my perspective, we should be waiting for Pikmin 4.

I don't understand this nonsense of needing "portable" style titles to be successful. The 3DS's best selling games in Japan are just as "portable console game" as anything the Vita has. That argument may work for phone games but in reality people aren't buying dedicated handhelds for 5 minute games anymore. In fact, I don't think they ever did.

MDSLKTR

I like how the bullshit blog post in the OP completely ignores the rest of the interview, where he talks about the 3DS having teething troubles for exactly the same reason.

Fucking internet, full of cunts. Stupid sensationalist click hungry cock bags.

Thank you.

MisterHero

I like the fact people jumping to the fact because Miyamoto admits 3DS didn't do so well it's suddenly ok to call Vita a bad product too

In HIS opinion, not everyone here agrees
It's not his opinion, that's what happened to 3DS. 3DS was a weak product when it launched for the same reason.

People tend to back portable systems when there's positive things that make them remarkable, such as long battery life, or a low price, or a great game library. Even Nintendo fans could only recognize MAYBE one of those aspects in 3DS when it launched.

jgmo870

Banned
Price is only ever a problem in relation to what the product offers. I'm not saying you're wrong - the 3DS was overpriced for what it offered at launch. Same with Vita. But that doesn't mean that neither could have sold at that price well given different games available and the timing of when those games hit.

Mario, the highest selling franchise, would never have sold a $250 handheld. The 3DS was overpriced period. The hardware did not merit the price point.

zoukka

by any chance do you know a guy named hyuga at your place of work?

LOL

I don't understand this nonsense of needing "portable" style titles to be successful. The 3DS's best selling games in Japan are just as "portable console game" as anything the Vita has. That argument may work for phone games but in reality people aren't buying dedicated handhelds for 5 minute games anymore. In fact, I don't think they ever did.

Home consoles need "home console styled" games.
Portables need "portable styled games".

Other types work on both platforms nowadays, but it doesn't remove the need for the core gaming to be tailored for the platform. This is very simple.

Vinci

Danish
Mario, the highest selling franchise, would never have sold a $250 handheld. The 3DS was overpriced period. The hardware did not merit the price point.

Wii Sports sold the Wii. What's it got that Mario don't got?

One of these days you guys are going to realize that pricing based on hardware is a myth to the mainstream buying public.

Oppo

Of course it's a totally reasonable, even-handed observation.

I say this as a Vita owner, and not generally a fan of Nintendo's offerings. But he didn't say anything we didn't already know.

Vita story is still very new though, launches always suck, so I hardly think it's completely doomed. Uphill battle for sure though.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I took Miyamoto as saying that it's not a strong product market-wise, which is completely undeniable.

i meant what the poster you were responding was saying. Your "prove him wrong, then" makes zero sense.

Of course it's a totally reasonable, even-handed observation.

I say this as a Vita owner, and not generally a fan of Nintendo's offerings. But he didn't say anything we didn't already know.

Vita story is still very new though, launches always suck, so I hardly think it's completely doomed. Uphill battle for sure though.

yeah, the only way this would be weird/trolling is if the Vita was selling slightly behind the 3DS and had a ton of big selling games - but it doesn't, so in the end it's calling what he sees though, as someone else pointed out, as a figure head for a gaming company it's a fantastic opportunity to point out how your gaming company was able to turn things around successfully.

jgmo870

Banned
Wii Sports sold the Wii. What's it got that Mario don't got?

One of these days you guys are going to realize that pricing based on hardware is a myth to the mainstream buying public.

Wii Sports illustrated what could be done with motion controls which was the selling point for the Wii. 3D was supposed to be the 3DS's equivalent.

EDIT: And one day you're going to realize that people devalue gaming machines.

JazzmanZ

I don't understand where people get off saying the Vita isn't going well or is going too.

Far as I know it had a better launch than the 3DS game and has some games worth playing on it.

All it really needs is a killer app title like Mario 3D land or Mario kart 7 is to the 3DS.

Kangi

Well, out of context, paraphrased quote in title strikes again. This is fun to watch.

Happy to see that Miyamoto is being diplomatic about this. Not something you see that often when one discusses their competition.

Between this and the Penny Arcade Kickstarter comic, some of GAF needs to brush up on reading comprehension.

most of, gooster, most of

at least, the ones who are posting.

tip: if you start typing within 3 seconds of reading something, go back and read again and think about whether you're getting emotional or not.

If you think to yourself "I'm not getting fucking emotional, I'm just gonna put all these motherfuckin' assholes in their places because I'M RIGHT AND THEY'RE ALLLLLL WRONNNNNNGG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" then you are getting emotional.

BurntPork

Banned
i meant what the poster you were responding was saying. Your "prove him wrong, then" makes zero sense.

yeah, the only way this would be weird/trolling is if the Vita was selling slightly behind the 3DS and had a ton of big selling games - but it doesn't, so in the end it's calling what he sees though, as someone else pointed out, as a figure head for a gaming company it's a fantastic opportunity to point out how your gaming company was able to turn things around successfully.

Yeah, good point. I kinda ignored the last part of the post.

Vinci

Danish
Wii Sports illustrated what could be done with motion controls which was the selling point for the Wii. 3D was supposed to be the 3DS's equivalent.

They do? Have some evidence to support that?

I don't find problem with the Vita hardware or its initial launch lineup, which seems to be fairly diverse as far as launch lineups go. The main problem in the "strength" of the system is the consumer reaction, which is lacking. That is the first worrying thing about the system, the second is the complete lack of upcoming software that could generate a positive consumer reaction.

The 3DS lacked initial consumer reaction, or it lacked enough to sustain itself for any amount of time. The price drop and the knowledge of a brighter future for software was enough to resurrect it. If the Vita doesn't get a similar lineup in the future, it won't have much of a future period.

jman2050

People don't value gaming machines in the first place, they value games.

zoukka

most of, gooster, most of

at least, the ones who are posting.

tip: if you start typing within 3 seconds of reading something, go back and read again and think about whether you're getting emotional or not.

If you think to yourself "I'm not getting fucking emotional, I'm just gonna put all these motherfuckin' assholes in their places because I'M RIGHT AND THEY'RE ALLLLLL WRONNNNNNGG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" then you are getting emotional.

Haha this should be sticky on every thread in NeoGAF lol.

Nintendo-4Life
(Today, 05:08 PM

Thanks for reminding us why...

He's right on the topic of Vita, and the 3DS launch. I felt mostly the same way about my 3DS until fairly recently. And Vita has games that I want to play, along with PSP downloadable back catalog. The only reason I don't already have one is because of the price of it and the memory card.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
He should've been more fierce, get some peppers in Sony's asses to get them games announced

Vinci

Danish
People don't value gaming machines in the first place, they value games.

They value what the hardware allows them to play or interact with. So yes, in this case, that would be the games. For cell phones, it's the calls, texts, apps - be they gaming oriented or not - and other functions.

Top Bottom