• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam breaks 7 million concurrent users, up 1m from this time last year

prr8Rht.jpg

Nov 26th last year: 6 million
Reference: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/26/steam-clocks-in-6-million-concurrent-users-breaks-its-own-recor/

ESCWFqa.gif

Sentenza

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. They already reached 6,8 million users a couple of times in the last 6 months.

PC Gaming is dead.

PC Gaming is dead because configuring options is so difficult.

PC Gaming is dead because keyboards and mice are so tricksy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So the 30% YOY increase in number of active user accounts has ostensibly resulted in a ~17% increase (and counting) in concurrent user activity. Not bad.

Derrick01

Banned
You sound upset. PC gaming really bugs you, huh?

He's got a point to a certain degree. I want to know how many played games and how often in the last week. For example my PC is on almost 24/7 and therefore Steam is on almost 24/7 but since PS4 came out I've barely played anything on Steam.

I'm not necessarily downplaying this number as growth is growth and I assume most new people are buying something but I would like to see that distinction out of personal curiosity.

Hexa

7 million people are using there computers at the same time. Cool.

7 million people with steam installed are using their computers.

Steam still isn't incredibly big. League of Legends alone or Battle.net probably decimate that.

You sound upset. PC gaming really bugs you, huh?

In a way, I totally understand his statement. Most people don't change default settings and Steam defaults to startup upon boot. Most people keep their computers running all of the time at home, so massive concurrency numbers are nice, but not much of an indication of anything outside of how many active Steam accounts there are rather than how much gaming is being done...especially when Steam sells non-gaming software.

Dario ff

Banned
Dreamhack was yesterday and CS:GO was 75% off.
Makes sense, Skyrim is unusually high compared to last months (almost 50% higher). Seems it sold a lot on the first day of the Autumn sale with the daily. I hadn't noticed CS:GO on sale.

Enco

Good stuff.

The more people on Steam the less chance of it failing and us losing our games. And more people to play with.

well, even with 7 million CCU there's still 1.6 million people actually in a game at least
To be honest that doesn't sound like very much. Not sure what the console numbers are like though.

He's got a point to a certain degree. I want to know how many played games and how often in the last week. For example my PC is on almost 24/7 and therefore Steam is on almost 24/7 but since PS4 came out I've barely played anything on Steam.

I'm not necessarily downplaying this number as growth is growth and I assume most new people are buying something but I would like to see that distinction out of personal curiosity.

In a way, I totally understand his statement. Most people don't change default settings and Steam defaults to startup upon boot. Most people keep their computers running all of the time at home, so massive concurrency numbers are nice, but not much of a indication of anything outside of how many active Steam accounts there are rather than how much gaming is being done...especially when Steam sells non-gaming software.

If someone else said it, I'd agree except:

Dat post history.

In a way, I totally understand his statement. Most people don't change default settings and Steam defaults to startup upon boot. Most people keep their computers running all of the time at home, so massive concurrency numbers are nice, but not much of an indication of anything outside of how many active Steam accounts there are rather than how much gaming is being done...especially when Steam sells non-gaming software.

No.

You have to manually log into Steam. It doesn't log itself in. The password can't be saved.

In other words, the application itself can load on startup, but it will only take you to a login prompt. You don't get into Steam to be counted without intending to by way of entering your password.

What does this metric mean again. Is it people in games? In mp sessions, browsing the store/app or all of the above.

If it's user's playing games it's impressive. Anything else good for valve.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

But why would have steam up when your not using it. Having a bunch of crap on start up really isn't good and slows down your pc.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
in all fairness, i don't think i've heard anyone claim that pc gaming was dead in the past 5 years.

HariKari

No.

You have to manually log into Steam. It doesn't log itself in. The password can't be saved.

In other words, you don't get into Steam without intending to.

Is this satire? Because it can and does save your password. To the point where If I'm logged out it's jarring, because my account is so old I barely remember the password.

gdt

No.

In other words, the application itself can load on startup, but it will only take you to a login prompt. You don't get into Steam to be counted without intending to by way of entering your password.

Wat

kamspy

My GF joined Steam for Scribblenauts and bought a few casual games during the sale.

She's a Pogo freak though (to each their own), so she still likes buying games she can on Pogo since she's into getting the Badges (cheevos) and whatnot. I'm turning her on to Steam cheevos, she 100% Scribbnauts. We'll see if i can keep it going. I don't push her, she's spent freaking years on Pogo. It's crazy. All her friends play it religiously too. I didn't know it was that big of a deal for casual games.

Fenror

Neo Member

The sum of the "Current Players" column here: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ is around 1.4 million at the moment.

Edit: Not that I answered your question, but maybe it's interesting anyway!

What does this metric mean again. Is it people in games? In mp sessions, browsing the store/app or all of the above.

If it's user's playing games it's impressive. Anything else good for valve.

7 million online, 1.6 million in game

Since I got my PS4 I just use Steam as a IM client that starts up as soon as I turn on my laptop. Well, no that's a lie I did buy Gunpoint on sale and regret it about five minutes later.

Top Bottom