• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda's Pete Hines defends their paid mods scheme, reiterates "mini-DLCs"

Brought to you by YongYea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esaHNIoQ7uQ

Basically, Pete Hines got into a Twitter argument with some people and doubled-down on the whole "mini-DLC" thing, ignoring every criticism. Bullshitter gonna bullshit.

This is from yesterday so lock if old, please.

edit:

Mnicbst.png

mrqs

Isn't DOTA skins or CS:GO weapon skins... paid mods? I'm ignorant on the subject, but it looks like the same thing.

Remember, Bethesda used 'we want everyone to play at the same time' to explain why they will stop sending review copies early to people. Meanwhile, they were sending them early to influencers/youtubers with exactly ZERO editorial integrity.

Bethesda is shady as fuck.

etrain911

Seeing as that this company once sold us horse armor, I fully believe that Pete Hines believes that this is "mini-DLC". I see it as gross and yet another reason I will never buy a Bethesda game that isn't used.

KingBroly

Banned
What's really stupid about it is that it is it's own thing for Fallout 4, and not some HUB (I thought it'd be a HUB) for all of Bethesda's games.

Dipper145

I find the backlash against an official method through which mod creators can charge people for the hours of work they put into their content if they choose too kind of odd.

Of course, there are bad parts about it. Like the bethesda points used for purchasing being akin to microsoft points.

so pete hines logic

Paid mods = The modders charging and setting the price point.

Creation club = Bethesda determins the price point and charges

therefore a Mini DLC, as it is published and priced and charged by beth.

Why do PR people still get into arguments on Twitter. You are never going to win. Just answer direct questions whenever you can, don't try to convince people of shit. It always looks foolish, even if you might mean well or it is your actual opinion.

Keinning

creation club isn't paid mods because paid mods is when modders receive for their mods and creation club will chomp most of the money for bethesda

get it straight guys!

Squishy3

I like his adamant stance that it's new and hasn't existed before when Valve's been doing this since 2010 with the Mannconomy update in TF2.

Peroroncino

There's a rumour circling around that modders are not getting royalties for their work, just a 1 time payment, if this is true, then on top of everything else, creation club is even worse than what they've previously attempted.

And Fallout 4 was a smooth 30fps on PS4.

Yeah, sure Pete.

His twitter handle should be Peter Peter bullshit speaker

Alebrije

Bethesda : we love players

Now here you have our new MOD model where you will pay for Mods.

I have seen this behavior recently.

Not sure that I disagrees that much about what they're saying that the content actually is, but with them not being satisfied with calling it DLC, and introducing something called "Creation Club", after previously trying to launch paid mods, they kinda shoot themselves in the marketing foot here.

I wouldn't actually mind them doing a DLC program, with them continuing to produce content for their games instead of abandoning them after the intial season passes, and welcoming other devs to produce content as well. But after such a weak start to the program, it's hard to be optimistic about the content actually being something worthwhile.

d00d3n

I think the Bethesda paid mods scheme would be better explained by an allegory involving theme parks.

Pete?

Top Bottom