• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to work on better jokes.

But I'm not joking. The dodgers are built to compete for the foreseeable future. The giants are also a well run organization. I don't think the backs will be able to compete consistently. It was a good hire, but the results may not show it in terms of division titles

People need to work on better jokes.

Well, for the foreseeable future? The Padres, Rockies and D-Backs simply can't compete with Giants, definitely not the Dodgers, in terms of money spent on free agents pound for pound.

But the D-Backs especially have the benefit of a good young core anchored by Pollock, Segura, etc. If they aren't wracked by injuries like they were last year, and try to shore up the bullpen and starting pitching corps, they could easily play for a wild card or at least keep the division relatively competitive.

But I'm not joking. The dodgers are built to compete for the foreseeable future. The giants are also a well run organization. I don't think the backs will be able to compete consistently. It was a good hire, but the results may not show it in terms of division titles

Ehhh was more thinking about the Rockies and Pads getting in the mix due to their farm systems. LA looks like they're on a run with a great system and lots of money, but SF I'm not so sure about.

Alex Speier of the Boston Globe is reporting that Frank Wren is the front-runner for the newly-vacant Red Sox GM job. Wren was the GM of the Braves from 2007-2014.

rekameohs

Banned
You know what, the Hazel choice seems pretty great on paper! Hopefully Hall and Kendrick fuck off with their meddling and let him take care of business.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
TORONTO -- Major League Baseball is pushing for an international draft as a centerpiece of change in the next collective bargaining agreement with the players' association, according to sources familiar with the proposal.

The current agreement expires in December, and the two sides have been in negotiations.

Under the terms of MLB's initial concept, the new international draft system would start in March of 2018, with a 10-round draft held over two days. As the new structure evolved, with terms grandfathered into the process, the minimum age for draft-eligible players would be 18 years old by 2021.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17817574/major-league-baseball-pushes-international-draft-new-cba

So who will be in this international draft? I assume Cuban, Puerto Rican and Dominican players, but would potentially Japanese and maybe even Taiwanese players be in this?

The article Windu posted raises a good point in that they want to reduce the amount of handlers smuggling ball players from out of Cuba, and most teams already have summer and winter league teams in the Dominican. Might as well go the full hog and make it like the NBA and NHL does in regards to international draft picks.

Malo

Banned
So who will be in this international draft? I assume Cuban, Puerto Rican and Dominican players, but would potentially Japanese and maybe even Taiwanese players be in this?

The article Windu posted raises a good point in that they want to reduce the amount of handlers smuggling ball players from out of Cuba, and most teams already have summer and winter league teams in the Dominican. Might as well go the full hog and make it like the NBA and NHL does in regards to international draft picks.
Here's a good article on why it's dumb.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/10/17/report-mlb-union-negotiating-the-implementation-of-an-international-draft/

They're further capping the amount of money players can get and how much teams can spend.

Mortemis

Banned
Here's a good article on why it's dumb.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/10/17/report-mlb-union-negotiating-the-implementation-of-an-international-draft/

They're further capping the amount of money players can get and how much teams can spend.

We’ve argued many, many times that an international draft represents an unnecessary limitation of the market for international players. The idea that “small-market” teams can’t afford top amateur talent is simply wrong, as the dollar figures involved for these amateur players are low relative to the size of even a low-revenue team’s annual baseball operations budget. Once the international pool system came into place certain penalties and inefficiencies came into play that did, in fact, serve to give advantages to richer clubs like the Dodgers, but when it was simply a matter of clubs signing international free agents as they wished, all clubs competed ably if they chose to do so.

Likewise, claims that it will limit the excesses and influence of the buscones who find talent and bring it to the attention of MLB clubs are well-intentioned, but are unfounded. Someone will still be bringing the teenagers to MLB’s attention, won’t they? And those someones will likely still be taking cuts from the kids. Only this time their cut will be from a smaller pie and the cutting of the pie will likely be pushed further into the dark.

yeah, those highlight why it won't really solve some of the problems that are facing the international market.

Has anything about how the mlb will handle free agency and competitive balance picks been rumored recently? I remember reading about discussions of changing it but nothing else.

Malo

Banned
yeah, those highlight why it won't really solve some of the problems that are facing the international market.

Has anything about how the mlb will handle free agency and competitive balance picks been rumored recently? I remember reading about discussions of changing it but nothing else.
The only thing that is known so far is that the qualifying offer is going to remain and it's going to be $17.2 million this offseason.

Are we gonna talk about how good baseball's postseason TV numbers have been?

You’ve probably heard that much of this year’s baseball playoffs are on channels not everyone gets, like FS1 and MLB Network. Maybe you’ve heard that the MLB postseason fails to out-draw the NFL, even in markets with baseball teams playing crucial games. You’ve almost certainly heard that national TV ratings for America’s pastime have nose-dived in recent decades.

But have you heard that a huge amount of people are still watching baseball?

On Friday, Sports Media Watch ran a post titled, “Dodgers/Nats Game 5 Posts Steep Decline on FS1.” This doomsday headline belies the real story, buried at the bottom of the post:

Overall, FS1 averaged 3.7 million viewers for its nine NLDS telecasts — up 32% from its ALDS coverage last year (2.8M) and up 18% from its NLDS coverage in 2014 (3.1M).

Up 32 percent from last year. Up 18 percent from 2014. Those are huge gains!

Besides, it’s not just the Cubs fueling the ratings boom. The NL Wild Card game, featuring the Giants and Mets, was the most watched baseball game on ESPN in 13 years and nearly the most-viewed Wild Card game ever. Even the American League games, with B-list markets and uncompetitive series, are among the most watched events on American cable television every night. And the AL Wild Card bout between the Blue Jays and Orioles entranced more than 10 percent of the nation of Canada.

RBH

CvDcMM0VIAAgP4H.jpg:large

Beer, barbecue and baseball are staples of summer in the South. Terrapin Beer Company and the Atlanta Braves plan to deliver them all through a brand-new taproom and microbrewery at The Battery Atlanta, adjacent to SunTrust Park, the soon-to-be new home of the Braves.

The Terrapin Taproom will be a restaurant operated by Delaware North and offer a rotating tap list that includes many of the signature beers that have elevated and defined Terrapin within the craft beer world since 2002. Fans of the Athens-based brewer can expect to enjoy classic Terrapin brews such as Hopsecutioner, HI-5, RecreationAle and Rye Pale Ale. The Taproom will also feature the world-famous Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q. Named the best barbecue in Atlanta by a host of publications, Fox Bros. will bring its special blend of Texas heat and southern spice to The Terrapin Taproom.

Adjacent to The Taproom will be the ATL Brew Lab, a microbrewery where Terrapin will experiment with different styles of brewing and further collaboration efforts on brand-new beers, including some special baseball-themed brands. Guests will get some of the first sips of Terrapin beers that cannot be found anywhere else.

Both the Terrapin Taproom and the ATL Brew Lab will be located outside the Chop House gate entrance and stay open year-round.

"We might be biased, but for us there's no better way to take in a Braves game than with an ice-cold local beer, and we're thrilled Terrapin gets to be that hometown brew," said Brian "Spike" Buckowski, Terrapin Beer Company co-founder and vice president of brewing development. "Our wheels are spinning for what we'll exclusively brew at the ballpark, and we cannot wait to get in there and start."

The Terrapin Taproom and ATL Brew Lab are the result of a multi-year partnership between the Atlanta Braves and MillerCoors. Following the recent acquisition of Terrapin last month by Tenth and Blake, the craft and imports division of MillerCoors, Terrapin was immediately picked to become the flagship craft brewery for the ballpark because of its strong local ties to the state.

"We wanted to partner with Terrapin because they've been crafting beers right up the road in Athens and have developed a strong southern following, so we knew right away they would be a natural fit with the Braves," said Derek Schiller, Braves president, business. "The Terrapin Taproom will pair Terrapin's freshest and newest beers with some down-home southern barbecue, which is sure to excite all of Braves Country."

Construction will begin in November, and The Terrapin Taproom and ATL Brew Lab are set to open at the start of the 2017 Braves season.
http://braves.mlb.com/atl/ballpark/...id=788372041187467266&adbpl=tw&adbpr=21436663

Alright Jays GAF, what do you wanna see happen to this team?

IMO, I think they're a few pieces away from getting to the WS.

The rotation is pretty much set, so no changes need to be done.

The bullpen will need some bolstering. Cecil might be gone.

Bautista and Saunders I don't see coming back. Lock up Edwin, acquire a couple of outfielders that don't just rely on the long ball, and deepen the bench.

Oh, and get Votto.

Yea, I mostly agree. I could see Atkins letting both EE and Bautista sign elsewhere, grab the picks and go hunting for LHBs.

Apart from those two, I'm not sure who gets a QO.

Jayhawk

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...&ind=0&team=14&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Since most speculate that Bautista won't be coming back, especially with people preferring to sign Edwin if it was one or the other... it is pretty cool that Bautista likely ends his Blue Jay career as the franchise's all-time leader in WAR among batters. The team finally became a contender as his prime years ended, and a lot will just remember him for a bat flip, a punch, and silly interview quotes. For a few years, he was the only source of excitement from the team after the team traded away Halladay. A six-time all-star, three-time silver slugger. I hope the Blue Jays eventually add him to the team's level of excellence in the stadium.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...&ind=0&team=14&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Since most speculate that Bautista won't be coming back, especially with people preferring to sign Edwin if it was one or the other... it is pretty cool that Bautista likely ends his Blue Jay career as the franchise's all-time leader in WAR among batters. The team finally became a contender as his prime years ended, and a lot will just remember him for a bat flip, a punch, and silly interview quotes. For a few years, he was the only source of excitement from the team after the team traded away Halladay. A six-time all-star, three-time silver slugger. I hope the Blue Jays eventually add him to the team's level of excellence in the stadium.

Well, some of that he put on himself. The way he conducted himself especially this year has soured my opinion on him to the point where I don't want his primadonna ways on this team.

that seems a little excessive

If not insane.

A guy came on the show later and pointed out that the Jays - or anyone - probably wouldn't have to give up that much if they were willing to take on most or all of Votto's salary.

Now Wilner is on and my goodness he's a goofball.

Ok, I'm here. I needed to take a day away from baseball.

I'm ready now. Go Cubs and I am really excited about the Jays restructuring process this offseason.

Edit: We're not trading Sanchez, Stroman or Osuna. That's insane.

Edwin and Bautista are guaranteed Level of Excellence in Toronto. Yeah, I know it's fun to shit on Bautista but the dude delivered more times than I can count for this team.

Overall I'm disappointed in the outcome of the season but dammit I'm happy for how the season went. Dave Roberts has won me over. They broke the record for players on the DL and still won the division. It's not enough though. I'm looking forward to what Friedman and Zaidi do in the offseason. Need to keep Turner and Jansen. Puig will be shopped somewhere. It's going to be an interesting time.

But for now I've had enough of baseball. Not going to watch the World Series as the pain will still be felt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom