• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

ReaperXL7

Why not just respec? do you really want to spend another 40-50 hours to get where you are when you can just respec for a few grand? you get all your ability and skill points back (and the ones you got from trainers are still there too) and if you don't like it just respec again and try other builds. The price is very cheap since you become filthy rich in the game

Well in most rpgs I tend to like living with the choices I've made, the respecc option aswell as fast traveling don't really exsist to me. I understand why they are there but they are features that I pretty much always ignore. I,ve decided to stick with my character for now, might max out longswords to get alittle extra variety in combat. Then once I've completed the majority of the game with my main ill jump in again at some point to try some different build options.

Well in most rpgs I tend to like living with the choices I've made, the respecc option aswell as fast traveling don't really exsist to me. I understand why they are there but they are features that I pretty much always ignore. I,ve decided to stick with my character for now, might max out longswords to get alittle extra variety in combat. Then once I've completed the majority of the game with my main ill jump in again at some point to try some different build options.

You are a beast my friend.

1stStrike

Banned
Just tried out bow/great sword combination. Not really feeling it. The bow kinda sucks since you have to constantly wait for arrows to reload. Time to try something else.

Wallach

Also have tried using a shadow prism. Sneaking, rolling, talking to her, etc. Its crazy that the game fricking autosaved while im in a random corner looting someone.

Sounds super dumb. This is exactly why most games allow you to push moving NPCs slightly by walking into them.

Just tried out bow/great sword combination. Not really feeling it. The bow kinda sucks since you have to constantly wait for arrows to reload. Time to try something else.

I also really don't care for bows at all. Sceptres are a little better, but I don't bother with them considering it now takes like twice as much mana to fire one shot than it does to cast an entire Elemental Rage chain.

Sounds super dumb. This is exactly why most games allow you to push moving NPCs slightly by walking into them.

Yep, Ive done everything in my power. Just flat out fucked.

- The last autosave puts me in the same location with the AI lady trapping me. (for some CRAZY BAFFLING REASON. As soon as it happen, I wasnt even panicked. I thought the autosave would take us back to just inside the entrance to the dungeon like it has always done every time before this.)
- Making a new save and loading it does the same.
- Ive rolled, snuck low, done weapon combos, used the shadow prism, no longer have any destinies with the blink dodge.
- Due to being in a dungeon, I cant fast travel.
- Due to the AI being a quest partner, I cant kill her to move her.

It wouldnt be so bad if I was just fucking around tonight, but I put in good work. Just got to Rathir, Ive done probably 15+ quests, got a great purple hammer, etc. Ive done every single thing I know how. I know this sounds silly, but this is going to kill this game for me.

1stStrike

Banned
I also really don't care for bows at all. Sceptres are a little better, but I don't bother with them considering it now takes like twice as much mana to fire one shot than it does to cast an entire Elemental Rage chain.

lol yeah. I tried out a scepter and was like "fuck this" and never bothered again. I just made a build that centers around daggers/faeblades with some points in might for the extra HP/resistance and such. I killed the same enemies 3x as fast and it was a lot more fun during the process, so going to stay with this build for a little while.

- The last autosave puts me in the same location with the AI lady trapping me. (for some CRAZY BAFFLING REASON. As soon as it happen, I wasnt even panicked. I thought the autosave would take us back to just inside the entrance to the dungeon like it has always done every time before this.)
- Ive rolled, snuck low, done weapon combos, used the shadow prism, no longer have any destinies with the blink dodge.

It wouldnt be so bad if I was just fucking around tonight, but I put in good work. Just got to Rathir, Ive done probably 15+ quests, got a great purple hammer, etc. Ive done every single thing I know how. I know this sounds silly, but this is going to kill this game for me.
I don't blame you. That's a dagger and I'd probably stop there as well. That's a pure dagger.

CTE

You didn't make any saves before entering or the whole night even? How many hours do you play without saving usually? I save every half hour or so just to be safe. I rotate 5 saves around, saving over them in a certain pattern as I progress.

gehrig38

I don't blame you. That's a dagger and I'd probably stop there as well. That's a pure dagger.

Thinking on this one....
Oh for a recall spell right now...
You obviously tried any charge moves you had, cannot fast travel...
Damn...
Will make a few calls.

Damn damn damn, made 2 calls, left VM on one, other was trying to think it through. Can you go into Reckoning mode?

As far as comboing goes. After the 3rd hit launcher of the greatsword combo fire off a few shots in succession to get a juggle going (they get pretty high) and either go for a charged shot or use harpoon to pull yourself towards the enemy and keep going. Bows are very useful for a rogue because they have to play close range, and scattershot really helps with damage. Might dudes don't really have a problem with damage and harpoon closes space pretty quickly.

An absolutely ridiculous combo is faeblades with Might. They really gel with the might abilities, especially if you've got one with bonus crit damage.

Relentless Assault + Battle Frenzy + A Mob = O_O

gehrig38

Thinking on this one....
Damn...
Will make a few calls.

Damn damn damn, made 2 calls, left VM on one, other was trying to think it through. Can you go into Reckoning mode?

Thinking on this one....
Damn...
Will make a few calls.

Yeah, but unfortunately that doesn't faze the AI. It just leaves me in a corner in slowmo.

ReaperXL7

The thing with bows in my experience is that you don't really get a taste for what they can do until you have almost maxed out the line. Arrow storm is great if you can stealth a tight group of mobs. And multishot adds another layer once you obtain it. Its. Weapon that only becomes good with significant investment. I've been rolling GS/bow combo for my entire playthrough at this point. I really like great swords I just wish they had a few more moves as when you compare them to some of the other weapons they don't feel quite as dynamic.

Really one of my only complaints with the might tree is that I wish it had gotten a unique weapon type. Finesse got faeblades, sorc got chakrums, might got good but old staples. Could have been cool to get giant sytches or guantlet type weapons similar to the cestus from god of war.

1stStrike

Banned
As far as comboing goes. After the 3rd hit launcher of the greatsword combo fire off a few shots in succession to get a juggle going (they get pretty high) and either go for a charged shot or use harpoon to pull yourself towards the enemy and keep going. Bows are very useful for a rogue because they have to play close range, and scattershot really helps with damage. Might dudes don't really have a problem with damage and harpoon closes space pretty quickly.

An absolutely ridiculous combo is faeblades with Might. They really gel with the might abilities, especially if you've got one with bonus crit damage.

Relentless Assault + Battle Frenzy + A Mob = O_O

Problem is you run out of arrows too quick either way. I maxed out everything in the bow line when I was testing it out (I'm level 33) so that wasn't an issue. I just didn't find it nearly as versatile as daggers/faeblades.

One thing I will say about the finesse side of things is that gambit is well worth the point investment. Turn the whole area into a mine field and go to town. Works amazingly well with daggers and you can have practically the whole battlefield staggered at once. Then throw a smoke bomb when the traps start to run out.

Finished the game on Hard tonight. Final boss was interesting, but far too easy. Probably was their intent. Loved the first half of the game, was really disappointed that sagecrafting ended up ruining the 2nd half, as well as two pretty big bugs:

1 - once again lost the ability to use reckoning mode properly (button presses stopped working in reckoning mode)

2 - Pet Faer Gorta became hostile towards me. Tried respeccing in hopes it would reset him, it did not. Tried killing a guard with Faer out and I got arrested, paid my fine and the Faer stopped being hostile towards me. Next fight I get into turns the Faer immediately back hostile against me. Something is really broken with that thing, but I have no clue what set it off. So basically I spent the remaining third of the game not being able to use him, but it didn't really matter much since I couldn't lose health due to installing a couple gems with health regen.

My suggestion to BHG would be to limit the amount of health regen that a user can have. Some weapons and jewelry have regen on them, and then gems add more, which essentially can make you invincible. That shouldnt be allowed, especially on Hard.

Overall I love the world they created, the creatures, the lore etc are all great. It just needed a ton of tuning and some more bug-checking.

scy

Might build, was it? Shield Bash's dash doesn't move you? Running into the wall doesn't cause her to freak out and move?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just finished it. Did every side quest I could find (minus 3 that completely bugged out) and explored pretty much every inch of the game. Took about 50 hours total.

The Good:
- The leveling system is fantastic, one of the best I've seen.
- The combat is fast and fun, though a bit shallow.
- Great loot system. You can find good stuff or craft it.

The Bad:
- The story is *awful*, the ending in particular is a giant pile of horsecrap. This leads into the world and the lore as well. It all feels completely uninspired and cobbled together. It's to be expected with a hack like Salvatore involved, but really a lost opportunity here.
- Way too easy, especially near the end where my defense was so high that enemies were doing 0 damage to me when hitting me. This was as a 100% finesse character too.
- I wasn't a big fan of the look. It has this Warcrafty cartoony thing going on but then it flips to wierd fish monsters with giant tits and super bloody execution moves. Just feels really inconsistent.

Overall I really liked the game. Mechanically it was a fun action RPG and the compulsive shiny loot draw to you going. It's a shame it didn't hold up on the story and lore side of things, especially if they plan on expanding this universe further with MMO's and whatnot.

Yeah, but unfortunately that doesn't faze the AI. It just leaves me in a corner in slowmo.

That sucks, i'd swallow that bitter pill and just start over from the working save, maybe respec and see how you handle the same quests with a different build! Besides, Curt will make sure you get the first batch of DLC free!

Dresden

Haven't been able to muster up the will to play for two days now. Just bored of the game, with roughly half the map uncovered.

EDarkness

So, I'm curious, what did you guys do about
the mayor in Whitestone? I'm thinking about thrashing him because he just seems like a douchebag. Not sure what that will do to my game, though, so I haven't progressed far in the questline

Oh, and Jottun suck all kinds of ass. Screw those bastids. :(

Do the decisions at the end of questlines have any particular impact on the rest of the game?

For the House of Ballads questline, I'm trying to figure out if I'd rather be
the new ruler of the house of ballads alone or with the maid.
It seems to make very little in-game difference, just wondering if it alters the game ending or any other fae-related quests.

So, I'm curious, what did you guys do about
the mayor in Whitestone? I'm thinking about thrashing him because he just seems like a douchebag. Not sure what that will do to my game, though, so I haven't progressed far in the questline

Oh, and Jottun suck all kinds of ass. Screw those bastids. :(

i chose a persuasion option to have him turn himself in for his crimes..i don't like killing people if there's another way so i appreciated that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
lol

Curt Schilling Puts Conan In "Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning" - CONAN on TBS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73AtX9BjZ3o

Holy shit that was awesome! And pimping the PC box, too!

Anyway, I'm 30 hours in now at level 26 and still loving this game. Just finished the Plains of Erathell main quest series (ending in Mel Senshir), and am now going back to do the faction quests and clean up the side quests in the Plains before heading to Detyre.

At level 24 I respecced from full Might to full Sorcery and wow... what a power difference. These spells are just insane as a magic user. Can wipe out hordes of enemies in seconds, but I can also get murdered pretty quickly. Ultimate glass cannon! I bought a cool Staff and a pair of Chakrams, but I almost never use them. The magic is just too cool (and powerful).

Wallach

Holy shit that was awesome! And pimping the PC box, too!

Anyway, I'm 30 hours in now at level 26 and still loving this game. Just finished the Plains of Erathell main quest series (ending in Mel Senshir), and am now going back to do the faction quests and clean up the side quests in the Plains before heading to Detyre.

At level 24 I respecced from full Might to full Sorcery and wow... what a power difference. These spells are just insane as a magic user. Can wipe out hordes of enemies in seconds, but I can also get murdered pretty quickly. Ultimate glass cannon! I bought a cool Staff and a pair of Chakrams, but I almost never use them. The magic is just too cool (and powerful).

Yeah, this is the only thing that makes me waffle on respeccing to Universalist - the high level Sorcery spells are really fun to use. Elemental Rage in particular is just so satisfying when you manage to pull in everything in the group. Out of the lower level spells, the only one I really love to use is Ice Barrage, both for the sound and feel of just tearing someone's shit apart with ice shards. Mark of Flame and Storm Bolt are both powerful and look fine, but they don't quite have the oomph of Ice Barrage or the higher level stuff. The fact that Sorcery also gets chakram stuff makes it so hard for me to consider a build that doesn't invest into the tree.

Edit - Hey scy, what's the highest level Sorcery set you've come across?

scy

Edit - Hey scy, what's the highest level Sorcery set you've come across?

Hm ... the Divine Grasp and Enke's sets are 38 (or higher? I do have passive -Equip Requirements). I don't think I have any higher but I'm not sure without checking in-game.

Edit: Looks to be the highest I have. Aryllia's is 35 (...Boots are 16?) which looks to be the next highest I've got.

Stats really quickly:

Divine Grasp:
Cowl:
+15% Mana Regen
+100 Mana

Robe:
+30% Mana Regen
+35 Armor

Gloves:
+10% Mana Regen
+15% Fire/Ice/Lightning Damage

Boots:
+10% Mana Regen
+18% Elemental Resistance

Set:
2: +2 Mana Regen
3: +25% Armor
4: +20% Physical Resistance

Also, has a cape. Unique model, I think?

Enke's:
Cowl:
+15% Mana Regen
+25% Damage Resistance vs Undead

Robe:
+30% Mana Regen
-15% Mana Costs

Gloves:
+10% Mana Regen
-25% Equip Requirements

Boots:
+10% Mana Regen
+20% Ice Damage

Set:
2: -35% Mana Costs
3: +30% Mana
4: +15% Fire/Ice/Lightning Damage

Wallach

The first one sounds pretty cool, would like to get my hands on that.

On a side note, someone on the official forum found that the vendor in Mel Senshir that sells a backpack respawns if you kill him - with a new backpack. 'SPLOITS

After a little Might roleplaying adventure with the Warsworn and my 7th respec, I'm back to Finesse. Equipping myself with my best armour, my rating is still about half of what it was with before : lol

Holy shit at gambit, this skill is outrageous. I had to make some mana regen equipment to feed that hungry sob of an ability. Oh shit, this is so crazy! Fools are going to get hit. Between that,arrow storm and scattershot *salivates*

Add in the fact that I can go incognito at any time *faints*

That sucks, i'd swallow that bitter pill and just start over from the working save, maybe respec and see how you handle the same quests with a different build! Besides, Curt will make sure you get the first batch of DLC free!

Well, I probably will now that Ive had time to sleep on it. Ive put more time in this game (from a single player standpoint) than any other game this gen as I tend to stay more towards 8-10 hour games since I dont get that much time to game. Only game that comes within shouting distance is Deus Ex Human Revolution. May take a break from it, losing all that progress/time/loot/money/XP is a bitter pill.

Thank you Curt for looking into it, even if there turns out to be no solution. Its much appreciated.

Jrmint

This game badly needs a checkpoint system. I was in a cave last night and forgot to save and then got killed by a dispel chest.. of course my last save was like an hour before. First time I rage quit in this game. Course I'll play again today, but that was just frustrating, and no reason to not have a checkpoint system.

I see you guys talking about quick saves, how do you do that exactly? I don't see the option, playing on 360 btw.

Also is it just me or does Summon Fae Gorta absolutely suck?

nateeasy

Banned
Beat it on hard a few hours. Took me about 23 hours. The final boss
was really easy and underwhelming. Seemed dumb. Probably least enjoyable part of the game.

LiK

man, one thing that really annoys me is the subtitles for the Lore Stones. they are completely outta sync with the voices. kinda sucks when i get attacked while they're still talking. can't hear any of it.

Wallach

man, one thing that really annoys me is the subtitles for the Lore Stones. they are completely outta sync with the voices. kinda sucks when i get attacked while they're still talking. can't hear any of it.

I think you can hear any Lorestone you've collected again from within the Lorestone sub-menu (Status -> Lorestones).

Nista

This game badly needs a checkpoint system. I was in a cave last night and forgot to save and then got killed by a dispel chest.. of course my last save was like an hour before. First time I rage quit in this game. Course I'll play again today, but that was just frustrating, and no reason to not have a checkpoint system.

I think if there was a rotating 3 autosave system similar to Skyrim, that would have solved most of our problems with random deaths and getting stuck behind NPCs/in walls. It's hard to tell when an autosave will happen besides during zone transitions.

I haven't found a quicksave option on the 360 so far.

Torraz

To those who say that there are no good looking hammers, please observe this fine specimen.

This is tempting me to (temporarily) return to a might spec, as I am currently 100% sorcerer.

3rEuO.jpg

YTAqt.jpg

gehrig38

First time I rage quit in this game. Course I'll play again today, but that was just frustrating, and no reason to not have a checkpoint system.

Had it happen to me last night, while I don't think I've ever rage quit, I did quit:) Same thing too, dispelling a chest on the PC version, lagged, I died, game ova for the evening....

Looks like I am going to get a full night in tonight though, thinking there's a Balor in my near future....

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
To those who say that there are no good looking hammers, please observe this fine specimen.

This is tempting me to (temporarily) return to a might spec, as I am currently 100% sorcerer.

http://i.imgur.com/3rEuO.jpg[/ig]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/YTAqt.jpg[/ig][/QUOTE]

I have the same hammer I like the smoldering effect the hammer emits

LogicStep

So where should I get this game, 360 or PC? Does the PC version look that much better? What about mods, any worthwhile mods? I want to play it but I have a hard time deciding where to get it. And it's either this game or Skyrim and this one looks more fun.

Jrmint

Had it happen to me last night, while I don't think I've ever rage quit, I did quit:) Same thing too, dispelling a chest on the PC version, lagged, I died, game ova for the evening....

Looks like I am going to get a full night in tonight though, thinking there's a Balor in my near future....
Yea seriously Curt. Think we could get that patched in maybe then :)?

I agree completely. Personally, I enjoy spending about ten minutes in every level up screen painstakingly deciding where to allocate my points. If I respec'ed, all that time would be for naught! 20 hours in, I actually made an entirely new character for a new build, though part of that was I wanted to play as a Ljosalfar instead of a Dokkalfar. Switched from Finesse-Sorcery to Might-Sorcery. The latter was a fun build, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't exactly the build I wanted for my first playthrough of the game. Now I'm redoing all the Gorhart quests, and I'm not bored in the slightest.

I tend to only respec once, to get rid of any points that the tutorial allocates in areas I don't plan on using, i.e. a finesse point in a Might-Sorcery build.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I completely lost my Might/Sorcery hybrid saves while I made around 4 of them. The reason being because I saved my saves on my USB stick but the damn thing gave up on me. I am in sheer luck that I saved my other finesse class on my HDD so I basically only lost 3 hours of total playtime.

vaelic

Banned
So where should I get this game, 360 or PC? Does the PC version look that much better? What about mods, any worthwhile mods? I want to play it but I have a hard time deciding where to get it. And it's either this game or Skyrim and this one looks more fun.

get the PC version and use your 360 controller.

Top Bottom