• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
with regards to optus cable See if somone else will contract you on to said cable ? the state of optus cable is a sight for sore eyes compared to telstras HFC with that said you almost never get 24mbps on ADSL2 so if the cable performs up to Spec then i would say Yes yes it will and go for it , i would argue for them to include 100mbps for free other wise just pay the $20 extra :) hopfully it will be of use if its not demand a Refund

Who else provides cable apart from Telstra and Optus? My place can only get Optus cable, so it would have to be an ISP using optus cable.

I'll be happy if the 30mbps cable even gives me close to a steady 20mbps. The adsl2 barely touches 11mbps. NBN isn't coming to this place until early 2018. :(

The upload speed is the most concerning. 2mbps even on cable..

Quasar

Damn centrelink. Been in the queue so long my cordless phone is about to die from a dead battery.

Arrrrggghhh...finally got an answer and my phone died.

Shaneus

Who else provides cable apart from Telstra and Optus? My place can only get Optus cable, so it would have to be an ISP using optus cable.

I'll be happy if the 30mbps cable even gives me close to a steady 20mbps. The adsl2 barely touches 11mbps. NBN isn't coming to this place until early 2018. :(

The upload speed is the most concerning. 2mbps even on cable..
I get cable with iiNet (formerly TransACT, who was formerly Neighbourhood Cable) and doing a speed test last night I got a little over 100/60Mbps over wifi with my iPhone SE.

Quasar

No iiNet in my area :(

60mbps upload? Woah.

Yeah. I'm stuck on 100/40 (which in reality seems to be around 97/37) over the nbn. Could I guess get a second service and aggregate it. Dumb though, but the whole nbn wholesale pricing is such that they cannot afford to offer higher end plans, like gigabit.

Shaneus

No iiNet in my area :(

60mbps upload? Woah.
Yup. Keep in mind that for typical connections, a 100mbps downstream is purely theoretical. Because iiNet (TransACT etc.) actually have offices down in Geelong and apparently use it as some kind of test bed, there's at least a handful (I suspect it covers most of G-Town) of houses that are essentially uncapped, speed-wise.

I'll do a speed test connected directly to my router, see what I come up with.

jambo

A mate of mine had uncapped cable for a while, the ISP was testing some stuff and notified a few of their customers.

He would regularly get 240 down in speedtests.

A mate of mine had uncapped cable for a while, the ISP was testing some stuff and notified a few of their customers.

He would regularly get 240 down in speedtests.

Shows what the wholesale network can actually do. Too bad it's a monopoly (basically a govt approved one) that charges through the arse for data and cripples the throughput down and up. The tech is the same as international network-tier ISPs, even some world leading tech TBH, but they choose to cripple the shit out of it in their own interests. It's been this way for decades with Hellstra at the helm.

Queue the same complaint for mobile data plans...

Dimefan3

My NBN is down for the weekend. :(

Orange light on modem, after an awkward call to the provider they've had to send the issue to NBN Co. So that probably means it won't be fixed for a while.

Kind of annoying when you have an empty weekend with job applications and study to do.

more than 2 up on Cable is NBN branding

suffice to say outside of of NBN sectioned areas you might just be restricted to optus sadly as telstra and optus were the only ones to do it at one point ,

the alternative might be looking at what optus are selling on mobile data or looking at wilrpool for info on what smaller grass root internet compneys exist near you if optus is no good ...

----------------------

side notes was thinking of doing that PS4 pro trade deal - guessing destiny isnt allowed to be trade in as that one game ( they are currently selling it for $4) tempting to buy the game and try a diffrent store if that were a thing

whats a good android web browser ?

more than 2 up on Cable is NBN branding

suffice to say outside of of NBN sectioned areas you might just be restricted to optus sadly as telstra and optus were the only ones to do it at one point ,

the alternative might be looking at what optus are selling on mobile data or looking at wilrpool for info on what smaller grass root internet compneys exist near you if optus is no good ...

----------------------

side notes was thinking of doing that PS4 pro trade deal - guessing destiny isnt allowed to be trade in as that one game ( they are currently selling it for $4) tempting to buy the game and try a diffrent store if that were a thing

whats a good android web browser ?
They should take Destiny

Quasar

Is Stan good if I already have Hulu and Netflix?

Need the new Twin Peaks.

Not sure as I dont know what hulu or us netflix has.

I dropped Netflix to pickup Stan as I basically never used Netflix anyway (and wont I guess till Stranger Things S2 or the new Trek show starts).

It has given me the opportunity to start a Fringe rewatch. And I did get to see a Wil Anderson standup thing because of Stan. It also has a bunch of Showtime shows. Not sure if US Hulu/Netflix has that kind of stuff.

I expect I'll subscribe whilst Twin peaks is on and then drop it. With no lockin I think thats how I'm treat most services as there's just too many services.

T-0800

Anyone know when we might see a sale on Switch. I don't want to jump in until it hits $399. You can get a PS4 with extra controller and a copy of Horizon for $399. $469 for a Switch is just too much.

Quasar

Anyone know when we might see a sale on Switch. I don't want to jump in until it hits $399. You can get a PS4 with extra controller and a copy of Horizon for $399. $469 for a Switch is just too much.

Kogan briefly had one recently, but I assume it was an import with no/little local warranty.

I guess whenever the Christmas sales start.

Twin Peaks day... haven't been this hyped about anything for a long time!

I was starting to think my hype gland was broken after seeing people get hyped up about things like every single super hero movie and me just feeling cold and dead inside.

Good to know I'm not just a totally burnt out old bastard... yet!

remz

Are there any good arcades left in melbourne? the new galactic circus was kind of a bummer with all the mobile game stuff, although I guess they did have tekken 7....

Kogan had AU stock for $375 on the weekend. They'll start popping up more and more I expect. E3 should see a few bundles as well, Splatoon 2 has to be one.

Shaneus

Are there any good arcades left in melbourne? the new galactic circus was kind of a bummer with all the mobile game stuff, although I guess they did have tekken 7....
Ugh, I hear you on Galactic Circus. Kind of didn't mind the new Cruis'n USA game though.

No real "arcades" as far as I know anymore, really the only places I can think of that come close are Bartronica (in the city), Pixel Alley (Collingwood?) and I know a few pinnies and arcade games were just moved into the Golden Fleece Hotel only a week or so ago.

But yeah, no actual arcades afaik :/

Quasar

Twin Peaks day... haven't been this hyped about anything for a long time!

I was starting to think my hype gland was broken after seeing people get hyped up about things like every single super hero movie and me just feeling cold and dead inside.

Good to know I'm not just a totally burnt out old bastard... yet!

Listening to the final speculation episode of 'Damn Fine Podcast' a pretty good recent podcast thats a rewatch podcast with podcast guys I already like.

Rizzi

What the hell is up with physical versions of Switch games getting delayed by a week the week before release?
Puyo Puyo Tetris, Lego City Undercover, and now Disgaea 5. That's too many to be a coincidence.

Dryk

I managed to get through a video interview for the ATO without once saying something along the lines of "I have no need of expensive trinkets, so you can have faith that I won't steal $165,000,000 from you".

What the hell is up with physical versions of Switch games getting delayed by a week the week before release?
Puyo Puyo Tetris, Lego City Undercover, and now Disgaea 5. That's too many to be a coincidence.

Unique production requirements since they're using carts rather than blu rays. Less supply options. That could also be impacting stuff further down the distribution line like shipping/packaging/etc.

Recreat3

Any pics?

I have a pic of myself in front of it but i dont like posting pics online unless they are on my "personal" facebook haha. But yeh check that link.

Watching twin peaks, hope the first 2 seasons dont need to be watched for this to make sense. Its quite hard to follow at the moment.

I have a pic of myself in front of it but i dont like posting pics online unless they are on my "personal" facebook haha. But yeh check that link.

Watching twin peaks, hope the first 2 seasons dont need to be watched for this to make sense. Its quite hard to follow at the moment.
Really really recommend watching at least the first season otherwise you will miss a LOT of the impact. Try to watch first few and last few of Season 2 if possible too.

hirokazu

I was there. First half was good. Second half wasn't. At least the paper planes were entertaining. It was my son's first Mexican wave too, so it was worth it for that.
That Mexican wave did about 4 or 5 rounds before it died!

Also, I learnt that a lot people don't know how to make paper planes for shit. Some people were folding disasters that couldn't even take off. Others were folding them like torpedoes, of course they'd go up and straight down. Only a couple knew that they needed good wings to catch the air and glide.

At least those things kept things relatively entertaining in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom