• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

yyiiiBJ.png

95UTTjf.png

This OT is best viewed with the Dark Theme and best enjoyed while listening to "Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There" by Shoji Meguro. (YT)

DEVELOPER: Atlus (P-Studio)
PUBLISHER: Atlus
PLATFORMS: PS3 & PS4
RELEASE DATES: Sep 15th 2016 (Japan PS4 & PS3) | Apr 4th, 2017 (Worldwide PS4 & PS3)
TECHNICAL INFO: Native 1080p @ 30fps on PS4 Pro & PS4 | 720p @ 30fps on PS3
LANGUAGES: English Text, English & Japanese Audio (Day 1 DLC | In Game Menu Setting)
GAME LENGTH:
~105 Hours (True End), ~155+ (Completionist)
GAME SIZE: ~20.3 GB on PSN (Day 1 Dual Audio DLC Not Included)

Review Thread

iZnrKHb.png

JQ8E1xR.png

What is Persona?
With its first release in 1996, the Persona series originally began as a spin-off of the larger turn-based, dungeon crawling Shin Megami Tensei franchise, and focused on the high school setting introduced in 'Shin Megami Tensei: If.' After the Persona 2 duology (Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment) that followed, the Persona series evolved into what players recognize today with the release of Persona 3 in 2006. The third installment in the series placed a heavier emphasis on social interaction & relationships with other characters (dubbed Social Links), its one-year calendar system, and a modernized user interface; all of which now serve as important parts of the series' identity.​

What is Persona 5?
Persona 5 is a story-driven, turn-based JRPG set in modern Tokyo (taking place primarily within districts based on Shibuya and Sangenjaya) that follows a protagonist who attains the ability to summon a manifestation of his psyche & personality, known as a Persona, and uses this newfound power to change the unjust world around him.

Persona 5 serves as the next evolution of the Persona series style introduced in 2006 with Persona 3, and places not only a renewed focus on series staples like Social Links (now Confidants), the calendar system, and dungeon exploration, but also on returning features inspired by those found in Persona 1 & 2, namely demon negotiations (now known as Hold Ups), additional skill types (Nuclear & Psychic), and secondary weapon types. (Guns)​

How long is the game?
Check the Game Information above for specifics, but the average player should take around
105 Hours
to reach the credits.​

Do I need to play Persona 1, 2, 3, or 4 first?
Outside of easter eggs, cameos, and references to the casts of past games, each numbered Persona title is a separate experience; primarily focused on their own unique stories, casts, and events. Because of this, Persona 5 requires no knowledge of past games to enjoy. At the same time, however, each game in the series spins an engrossing tale, and are all definitely worth experiencing.​

Where can I go to learn more about those games?

What's with the OT Title?
You'll find out.​

What should I name the Protagonist?!
The closest you'll get to an official name right now is 'Akira Kurusu' - used in the official manga.​

I've finished the game! Where do I go to talk about spoilers freely?

mxTNupR.png

Game Synopsis

After having to transfer to a high school in Tokyo, the protagonist has a strange dream.

With the goal of "rehabilitation" looming overhead, he must save others from their distorted desires through his work as a Phantom Thief. After spending a memorable year bonding with the people around him, what awaits...?

During the day, the protagonist can enjoy the life of a student, spending his time however he pleases. After school, he dons the mask of a Phantom Thief and fights to reform corrupt adults. With the use of the mysterious mobile app "Metaverse Navigator", he can enter the world within people's hearts, and with the power of Persona, steal the source of their distorted desires.

Your power may be limited on your own, but by forming bonds with the people around you, you just might be able to change the world.

LxhiB9A.png

iNjtt78.png

EdMXdPX.png

NLL6TPF.png

LtC3g3n.png

Okay, but why should I buy Persona 5?
NCqE5aG.png

• Living a Double Life:
    Persona 5 takes place across an entire calendar year, and during that time players assume the dual roles of the Protagonist, a young man who must balance the tumultuous life of a Japanese high school student and the daring escapades of a Phantom Thief on a day-to-day basis.

Sometimes this means going shopping for food, training at the gym, going fishing, or indulging in hobbies. Other times this means working a part-time job to earn money for your larcenist endeavors, following leads & gathering information, building tools, or meeting up with your motley crew of friends. Regardless of how you spend your time, there's always something to do in Persona 5.​
m4QG7AY.png

• A Little Help from My Friends:
    Even the best Phantom Thief can't work alone, and Persona 5 takes that to heart with its new ‘Confidant' system, an evolution of the Social Links from past titles. Using the Confidant system, the Protagonist can build relationships with the key residents of Tokyo as well as other members of the Phantom Thieves, providing benefits both inside and outside of battle.

In Persona 3 & 4, these benefits were limited to experience bonuses when creating new personas - not so in Persona 5. Now, in addition to the traditional experience bonuses, the protagonist will also gain access to new allies, medicines, tools, and abilities as he develops relationships with those around him.​
v70jxe6.png

• To Catch a [Phantom] Thief:
    Persona 5 has also overhauled its dungeon designs with completely new mechanics for the Phantom Thieves to take advantage of. In previous titles, dungeons consisted of labyrinthine, randomly generated floors, lacking in verticality. In Persona 5, however, all dungeons – referred to as ‘Palaces' in-game – are now handmade, deliberately designed spaces, featuring their own puzzles, mechanics, set pieces and motifs.

Taking it a step further, the Phantom Thieves are more agile than the casts of previous Persona games, and are able to dart in and out of cover, sneak past and ambush enemies, climb through windows, and more. Just make sure to stay hidden, though: every time you're seen, the enemy will become progressively more alert, and you may have to call the mission off until another day!​
phKuWWW.png

• Hold Up! (& Pass That Baton!):
    On top of the return of classic Nuclear and Psychic skills, as well as equipment like firearms, are several new additions and improvements to the modern Persona combat system that both new and returning players can appreciate. All new to Persona is the ‘Baton Pass' mechanic, an option that sees a playable character forfeit their turn to one of their partners in crime, passing along buffs that make their next strike that much more powerful.

Persona 5 also introduces a twist on the classic SMT mechanic of demon negotiations, here called ‘Hold Up!' Once all enemies have been knocked down, the thieves surround them with weapons drawn, and can request items, money, or even their cooperation. If you'd rather not bother with the trouble, you can always just take them out with an all-out attack – another returning mechanic from Persona 3 & 4.

Oh, and all of this happens without needing to scroll through menus. Cool, right?
hZmjnmQ.png

• The Music:
    Once again composed by Atlus' very own talented Shoji Meguro, the music of Persona 5 continues the series tradition of stellar, unique soundtracks. This time inspired by acid jazz, the 100+ song soundtrack combines smooth vocals – courtesy of new Persona singer Lyn – with violin, piano, brass, bass and more to satisfy the senses with a wave of modern musical bliss, suiting Persona 5's coming-of-age picaresque tale perfectly.​
Tgpe6BT.png

• Character & World Designs:
    Shoji Meguro is in turn joined by returning artist Shigenori Soejima (Lead Character Designer: Persona 3, Persona 4, Catherine) who sets out to make the most of the bold themes presented within Persona 5, from the party's designs to their phantom thief costumes to the buildings and prefectures they inhabit. If the art used in this OT hasn't yet convinced you that the designs needed their own bullet point, then be sure to click below to view GIFs and screenshots of the game proper.​
AqwDAru.png

• Style On Speed Dial:
    From its very first PV, it was clear that the next Persona title would be a massive visual step up from previous releases – but even then, the good folks at Atlus exceeded expectations. Persona 5 exudes style: menus pop with crisp decals, colors, and transitions, character portraits and text boxes are animated and dynamic, every party member gets their own all-out attack cut-in, and much, much more.​
If that's not enough to get you interested, be sure to check out the media galleries and playlists linked below.

JqecRvF.png

Players who pre-order or purchase the PS4 version of the game during its introductory period will receive the SteelBook Launch Edition.

Players who pre-order or manage to purchase the Take Your Heart Premium Edition will receive the following physical items:
  • Collector's Box
  • Hardcover Artbook (64 Pages)
  • Soundtrack CD (19 Tracks)
  • 4" Morgana Plush
  • Full Size Shujin Academy School Bag
  • SteelBook + Game

Click here to view the DLC Schedule & Pricing for Persona 5, sorted by release date and price.

(Click to View Album of Sweet GIFs like these | Credits go to Respective Users)

0i5hUax.gif

Swb9gH4.gif

(Click to View Album | Credits go to Respective Users)

(Click to View Playlist)

faUFHk0.png

Persona 5 |OT| Guidelines:
  1. Be respectful and try to keep discussion SFW. (Otherwise please use spoiler tags!)
  2. Refrain from posting spoilers. (Text, Images, GIFs, etc.) If you're even slightly unsure of whether or not something is a spoiler, please use spoiler tags. Example: "I can't believe
    Morgana isn't a cat
    !"
  3. Please mark ALL story/event spoiler tags with the IN-GAME DATE for reference. Example: "I can't believe (4/4)
    Morgana isn't a cat
    !"
  4. Screenshots and GIFs are welcome and encouraged, but be sure to contribute to the discussion; and remember, the Spoiler Guidelines above also apply to all Screenshots, GIFs, and Images!
  5. Romance & Confidant discussion is allowed, but "Waifu/Husbando" or similar 'wars' discussion is disallowed per Aeana. Please refrain from derailing the OT with it.A separate thread can be found here.
  6. Let us start the game.

*Special Thanks to:
  • cj_iwakura for their help with editing & planning the OT, as well as posting OT1.
  • Fixyouregrammar for their help with gathering spoiler-free screenshots.
  • R_thanatos & Iva Demilcol for their help with gathering & creating spoiler-free GIFs.
  • YOU, for supporting Persona. Here's to another 20 years.
Let's positive thinking!

Mediking

I would. He's a pretty good bro.

Also listen to Morgana, he just cares about your health!

#StopMorganaHate
#MorganaBestMascotPet

I hope no one really hates Morgana. He's just doing a very necessary gameplay mechanic with his seemingly never-ending blocking of actions.

I hope no one really hates Morgana. He's just doing a very necessary gameplay mechanic with his seemingly never-ending blocking of actions.
Exactly! Also he's so fucking adorable. I love the MC walking around carrying him in the bag.

Pretty sweet thread title, BTW. Good job!

LotusHD

Banned

I can't hate him because he's so adorable and insecure and clearly wants me and the group's love and affection.

As for the whole sleeping thing, it's vastly better than you telling yourself to go to sleep, because we're getting memes out of it.

zulux21

This thread sure moves fast.

also finally finished ann's social link.

HOLY HELL POINTY BOOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

LiK

Damn, I almost want to jump right into NG+ so I can do my Plat run but I played for like 10 hours straight to finish the latter parts. Need to take a break. Didn't know how long it would take. I kept thinking it was almost over, lol

So happy that the spoiler out there wasn't even that big a deal. So many more awesome moments beat out that stupid spoiler on Twitter. Haha, that's a good thing if some of you were spoiled.

I loved how it ended. It's on par with P4G in satisfaction although personally I won't be satisfied unless I max out all Confidants in my second run. I need to finish some of their stories.

Espada

I just got a certain someone to max rank and I'm being given the choice
of Dodge Ice.
Should I take it or is it not worth replacing stuff like Tarunda/Matarunda for?

Not really sure how to react to Makoto using light theme...
Ugh, she's off the team. The worst kind of shitpost GAFfer.
The meow's are cute, especially. Love when he goes crazy for treasure.
Yup! And he's sounds even cuter in the Japanese VA, like damn, I didn't know that was possible. Though I still love Morgana's English VA. Top tier VA from both Cassandra Lee and Ikue Otani (Pikachu Va!).

duckroll

Damn I was just moaning about how buying gifts and the Temperance Confidant after Palace 2 was draining all my money. I was down to 30,000 yen or so. I just did one Mementos run to clear like 3 outstanding requests, and BAM after a bunch of shake downs along the way I'm back to >100,000yen and this is before even selling my treasures. Also got a bunch of Persona and spent some time fusing stuff in the Velvet Room.

LiK

I just got a certain someone to max rank and I'm being given the choice
of Dodge Ice.
Should I take it or is it not worth replacing stuff like Tarunda/Matarunda for?

That is an awesome skill. Take it. It's a life saver against their weak elements.

Top Bottom