• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1200 Year-Old Mayan Ruins Found, Shows Dates Past 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ra1den

Archaeologists have found a stunning array of 1,200-year-old Maya paintings in a room that appears to have been a workshop for calendar scribes and priests, with numerical markings on the wall that denote intervals of time well beyond the controversial cycle that runs out this December.

For years, prophets of doom have been saying that we're in for an apocalypse on Dec. 21, 2012, because that marks the end of the Maya "Long Count" calendar, which was based on a cycle of 13 intervals known as "baktuns," each lasting 144,000 days. But the researchers behind the latest find, detailed in the journal Science and an upcoming issue of National Geographic, say the writing on the wall runs counter to that bogus belief.

Sounds interesting. Apparently they have way more of this site to excavate as well.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ndar-workshop-documents-time-beyond-2012?lite

StuBurns

Banned
We had a thread a few weeks ago about Mayan dates past this year, and it wasn't new then. People have known this for years.

Kurdel

Banned
This doesn't change anything because we have known all along that it was cyclical.

I just hope it can sway some of the deluded idiots that believe this shit.

Even if they found ruins saying "yep guys 2012 you're screwed" it still wouldn't be anything more than a bunch of superstitious nonsense. Why anyone would trust a society that wasn't smart enough to prevent its own destruction is beyond me.

Maybe they will find a crystal skull though...

Darknight

I hope that after Dec 2012, all these idiots with there BS are shut up forever concerning a doom coming due to Mayan calendars. Gosh, cant believe people believe so much shit.

Ra1den

Yeah it was already well known that it was cyclical. But it's interesting how there are other cycles, like the 17-Baktun cycle instead of the 13. And some cool art there as well. Definitely worth a read.

zomaha

I hope that after Dec 2012, all these idiots with there BS are shut up forever concerning a doom coming due to Mayan calendars. Gosh, cant believe people believe so much shit.

Well, maybe they'll be done with the Mayan calendar part, but they'll always find something that's going to cause our impending doom. Zombies is turning into the hot ticket right now.

Kabouter

As far as ancient civilizations signalling the end of civilization as we know it, it's not the Maya I'm worried about anyway.

Interesting pictures though.

So I can lose my virginity before we all die a horrible death

gallery_37445_28381_15384266924aa1b57376f5d.gif

Kinyou

This doesn't change anything because we have known all along that it was cyclical.

I just hope it can sway some of the deluded idiots that believe this shit.
Nah, dude. That ruin is totally faked by the CIA to calm the citizens down. Meanwhile are the Illuminati happily building their escape rockets.

Current day Maya elders will tell you 2012 has nothing to do with the end of the world.
But people rather read sensationalist Hollywood interpretations.

AlStrong

Yeah it was already well known that it was cyclical. But it's interesting how there are other cycles, like the 17-Baktun cycle instead of the 13. And some cool art there as well. Definitely worth a read.

What do the cycles mean? (what signifies end-begin)

Anyone who has spent 5 minutes reading about the Mayan calendar and its relation to 2012 will know its not an 'end date'. Who are these writers thinking they're kidding

xbhaskarx

So the Mayan calendar ended in 2012... until they made a new find in the year 2012? What a coincidence. "Oh shit it's 2012 aka the end of the world we better go looking for more Mayan ruins."

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mayans never said it was the end of the world, just the end of an age:p

bluehat9

Obviously the mayans planned for this to be found in 2012 all along to see who the true believers were when they returned from the future to take the planet in December. Those who are unprepared will perish, those who are prepared will be slaves tasked with assembling the device necessary to warp the planet to another galaxy in the universe for the crazy alien party.

So the Mayan calendar ended in 2012... until they made a new find in the year 2012? What a coincidence. "Oh shit it's 2012 aka the end of the world we better go looking for more Mayan ruins."
The Mayan Calender ends the same way computers suffered millennium bug dates ended, it just loops back to zero.

In the case the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar its number of days past its creation date which is approximately August 11, 3114 BCE and it reaches the maximum value at the end of the age...

Ra1den

What do the cycles mean? (what signifies end-begin)

I think the idea is that each cycle represents a different stage of the evolution of life or consciousness or something like that. Not exactly sure as I've not read a whole lot about it.

Phoenix

I think the idea is that each cycle represents a different stage of the evolution of life or consciousness or something like that. Not exactly sure as I've not read a whole lot about it.

Wikipedia said:
Since the Long Count dates are unambiguous, the Long Count was particularly well suited to use on monuments. The monumental inscriptions would not only include the 5 digits of the Long Count, but would also include the two tzolk'in characters followed by the two haab' characters.
Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a popular belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun, at Long Count 13.0.0.0.0. The date on which the calendar will go to the next piktun (a complete series of 20 b'ak'tuns), at Long Count 1.0.0.0.0.0, will be on October 13, 4772.
Sandra Noble, executive director of the Mesoamerican research organization Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc.(FAMSI), notes that "for the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle". She considers the portrayal of December 2012 as a doomsday or cosmic-shift event to be "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in.

It was actually a big ass party.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For some reason I read the title as "ruins food" and thought they found an ancient pot of burnt maize and quinoa next to a guy who was stabbed to death or something.

Air

Banned
I've always wondered how people find these old topics and remember to post in them for whatever reason.

A thread from the past providing evidence further in the past suggesting that we still have a future.

This has got to be a sign that the world is going to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom