• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

His Pat Stay line was good and all. and he knew exactly how the crowd would react to that. I have to say how stupid it is people still think Pat backed down to Calicoe. I rewatched that battle last week and I was like wtf.. are people remembering this wrong? I don't know what people expected anyway.

I mean yeah, he killed Calicoe in the battle, and the way Cal acted seemed pretty unnecessary and took nothing away from Pat I thought. People making something out of nothing.

mileS

I mean yeah, he killed Calicoe in the battle, and the way Cal acted seemed pretty unnecessary and took nothing away from Pat I thought. People making something out of nothing.

That's all it is lol. Just funny to see how far people go.

Charron has been saying he doesn't want to battle that much this year. All those interviews from that even he was going on how bad he wanted to do wild n out. The surf battle needs to happen this year, just to get it over with.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Born Legacy 5 Trailer. March 11th.

Th3 Saga vs. Tink The Demon
JC vs. Chef Trez
Ryda & Jakkboy Maine vs. Snakeyez & Dougy
Qleen Paper vs. Nu Jerzy Twork
Ave vs. O-Red

Aside from the 2v2, I like this card a lot.

His Pat Stay line was good and all. and he knew exactly how the crowd would react to that. I have to say how stupid it is people still think Pat backed down to Calicoe. I rewatched that battle last week and I was like wtf.. are people remembering this wrong? I don't know what people expected anyway.
Maybe I'm under the same false impression/faulty memory, but Calicoe was super aggressive and pushing him around a bit and people took note of that. Though, Charron was just flipping Tay Roc's I'M NOT PAT STAY line from Roc vs. Calicoe.

Born Legacy 5 Trailer. March 11th.

Th3 Saga vs. Tink The Demon
JC vs. Chef Trez
Ryda & Jakkboy Maine vs. Snakeyez & Dougy
Qleen Paper vs. Nu Jerzy Twork
Ave vs. O-Red

Aside from the 2v2, I like this card a lot.

Maybe I'm under the same false impression/faulty memory, but Calicoe was super aggressive and pushing him around a bit and people took note of that. Though, Charron was just flipping Tay Roc's I'M NOT PAT STAY line from Roc vs. Calicoe.

Those BL5 match-ups....JC and Trez....Qleen and Twork...YOOOO!!!!

mileS

Calicoe was super drunk and acting like a punk. Pat handled it pretty well. Did not know that was a flip on a line from Roc vs Calicoe. No wonder it hit harder than I expected.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Calicoe was super drunk and acting like a punk. Pat handled it pretty well. Did not know that was a flip on a line from Roc vs Calicoe. No wonder it hit harder than I expected.

Yeah after Calicoe started doing something similar to Roc in the first round, Roc shut it down quick at the top of his 2nd with a line about Pat Stay.Timestampted here. He kept saying IM NOT PAT STAY throughout the battle too lol

EDIT: URL: Jai 400 Block vs. Dre Dennis. A lot of great lines in this battle, but the styles are not the easiest on the ears TBH.

Dre Dennis...meeeeeeehh lol...i'll check it when im bored

Mike P VS. Trez should've dropped already.

RANDOM: Yung Ill has been announced for Blackout 7. Lets hope he shows up...literally!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL: Mike P vs. Chef Trez.

This battle is stupid fire, and honestly every round is debatable and great to me. I think I edge the 1st to Trez, 2nd to Mike P, 3rd a bit clearer to Trez. Easily an early battle of the year contender, I think it has rewatch potential because it's pretty consistent throughout.

KG vs. DNA was okay, KG always does just enough to sustain my interest but not enough to excite me to check out his next battle. KG 3-0.

URL: Mike P vs. Chef Trez.

This battle is stupid fire, and honestly every round is debatable and great to me. I think I edge the 1st to Trez, 2nd to Mike P, 3rd a bit clearer to Trez. Easily an early battle of the year contender, I think it has rewatch potential because it's pretty consistent throughout.

KG vs. DNA was okay, KG always does just enough to sustain my interest but not enough to excite me to check out his next battle. KG 3-0.

YEAH BUDDY! I was just about to post it lol. Can we get off RNT, please Smack? Was supposed to drop yesterday!

This battle is FUEGO! HIGHLY debatable, best Trez ever. Them rebuttals and his 3rd was crazy. I got Mike P 2-1, taking the first and second. I will be rewatching this many times.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Within a few weeks span so many battles I want to watch dropped, but spring TV season is about to kick into high gear too. RIP my free time.

UDUBB: Arsonal vs. Chilla Jones.

RBE: Arsonal vs. QB.

BullPen: Loso vs. Bad News.

EDIT: I don't know who I got in Danny vs. Steams. TBH I think I only really liked Steams' 2nd, okayish material throughout with not enough great stuff to make it stand out. I really think URL would benefit from shorter goddamn battles. Dunno how it's possible with the URL crowd though, and I don't think time limits are the only issue, but they gotta stop the inflation so these battles feel more like lightning in a bottle than an endurance race.

Danny vs. Geechi was cool. Geechi won me over with the first line I feel though. Between Geechi Gotti, Loso and a few others on the come up, I'm sorta excited about newcomers again. Kind of happy URL hasn't done PGs in a minute, but these are a few dudes I hope they'd scoop up. Honestly the West Coast is kind of shitty when it comes to new talent, so Geechi is refreshing.

^ I agree. These 40 min. (sometimes about an hour) battles are a killer, and hurt replayability.

Arsonal-QB was funny for the wrong reasons.

Bad News-Loso was straight. Loso has a lot more potential than I thought. We'll see what he does at BO7.

BL5 just finishing and having BO7 and NOME coming up soon should mean a lot of potentially dope battles to come.

mileS

Most of the battles from that event came across better on PPV. Not sure why. Camera angles and mics. The PPV seemed less awkward for crowd reaction. Noticed that in this battle and Charron vs Roc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL: O-Red vs. Ave. Ave 2-1. Edged Red in the 1st.

Both Arsonal vs. QB and Arsonal vs. Chilla were enjoyable for what they were. I think I got both winning 2-1 over Arsonal. Everyone had shit but none of those are super replayable battles.

Loso decisively 3-0. Bad News perked my ear mainly only in the 2nd with the pocket check thing. Loso just on another level than Bad Newz and it's very clear IMO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nu Jerzey Twork vs. Qleen Paper Trailer. I hear Qleen lost but I'm so excited to see him back. Dropping tomorrow, LETSGETIT.

Watched TheSaurus vs. Topr. Dunno about battle of the year but it's a good battle. A lot of super creative lines.

EDIT: Pat Stay 3-0 vs DNA. Iffy battle but I can see how it may have been fire live.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Inconsistent, but good, enjoyable, and very watchable battle.

Honestly had Qleen 2-1 until that strapped in shit Twork had at the end of his 3rd (and honestly, I'm a huge Qleen stan). I feel like Qleen edged the 1st, and at his best was doing way more than Twork lyrically. It's consistently a part of all of Twork's performances IMO, but both had a bunch of punchlines every round that didn't hit with me, but Qleen's unorthodox style at least kept me interested whereas I kind of roll my eyes at the yelling Twork does. Feels so forced, but that choke did Qleen in in the 2nd. I think he heated up a lot in that round afterwards and could have made it debatable if he didn't choke. But Twork hit hard and enough to comfortably take it I feel.

^Correct.

I saw the video Avo did with Hollow, Diz, and Rone on Illmac VS. Bigg K. They're pretty dope.

Nome sounds like it was crazy! BlackOut this weekend!

Avo's watch series is fire. Hollow was correctly in awe of Illmac's 3rd. Watching some NOME links rn.

GOODZ vs T TOP
CHESS vs TAY ROC
AVE vs SUGE

Have yet to find a link for Brizz vs Ill Will which is the battle I'm dying to see the most. They're saying Brizz got it close but clearly. Should be fire.

Goodz vs Top was cool. Top was all over the place and he didn't have a great angle for Goodz. Fell back on his "you were living a nice life while I was selling drugs!" shit a bit too heavily. I know we're gonna get drug & struggle bars from Top and I want them but when he's not at his best it can feel like auto-pilot.

Chess vs Tay Roc was fire. They were having a real good back and forth till the 2nd half of Chess' 3rd where he self destructed. No choke (actually that might be debatable) just a string of some real big misses all strung together to close out what could have been a classic. I'm gonna watch this one again but on first watch I'm giving Chess rd 1 and Roc rds 2 & 3.

Chess had one of his best bars ever in the 3rd too right before he started falling apart lmao.

All I've seen of the event so far. One of the better NuNu's for NOME 7, I'll say that much.

edit: BRIZZ vs ILL WILL

Spladam

My mind just got blown... battle rap is not done to a beat? Isn't that half of rapping, how one phrases syllables within the structure of the beat? This doesn't make sense to me. There is so much yelling..

Furyous

My mind just got blown... battle rap is not done to a beat? Isn't that half of rapping, how one phrases syllables within the structure of the beat? This doesn't make sense to me. There is so much yelling..

Imagine a business trying to monetize battle rap via youtube if artists rapped over beats. Battle rap cannot exist in modern form if this were to occur and become a trend. Battle rap evolved and left the 90's.

mileS

Battle rap started in the streets. No beat there either lol.

It's not that different from acapella cyphers if you've ever been around one. Also the yelling varies from rapper to rapper. Assuming you watched a URL battle where there's a higher focus on aggression. Still, even on that platform there's rappers like B Magic who are more laid back.

Here's one you might wanna check out if you're curious about modern battles.

mileS

Blackout tonight. Anyone gonna watch some? I find I get burned out if I watch a full event. Blackout is fun to watch live tho. Going to be some random ass battles tonight.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Completely forgot BO7 started yesterday, but I'm busy all this weekend. It's a sucker move for Verb to no-show vs. Charron and maybe Yung Ill now too. Looking forward to seeing Chilla vs. Gjonaj when it's all edited.

---

NOME 7 was fantastic y'all. Definitely the best big stage event in a long time. Even the clear wins were relatively entertaining. So much replay value.

Shine 3-0. Been watching blogs about this and I have to agree, it's time for Rex to just sit down. Shine OBLITERATED Rex. Worse than Clips IMO, Clips really just had the third.

Roc 2-1. Chess' first was unbelievable. I couldn't believe what he was doing up there, but I think Roc turned up in the 2nd and was consistent in the 3rd whereas Chess kind of hung himself. Chess' 1st is one of the best rounds this year.

Goodz 3-0. Top didn't get bodied, but man, that was clear. It's rare you get a battle that's a clear win, but still entertaining, and that's what I felt like here. Goodz has a bulletproof style and there's really only 2-3 rappers that could ever beat him IMO.

2-1 Suge. Ave's first clear L, and man, he faced one of the best Suges ever. Suge deconstructed him even before the battle with all the bar stealing stuff, but in the battle Suge's writing has never been sharper. Suge has done a complete 180 from where he was like 5 years ago TBH.

Brizz 2-1. Ill Will did his thing but Brizz was going OFF. Him and Chess got performances of the evening. Brizz is still getting better and better IMO, I think he's really learning how to perform on the big stage better and better and it shows. Sidenote, Brizz vs. Roc is also a super underrated battle.

Looking forward to seeing Mike P vs. Twork and how Mike P handles the big stage.

Norbes still aint released Rone vs Danja Zone...

fuckin hurts man
It's probably not going to, IIRC one of them reused bars or entire rounds in other battles. Same reason why they keep saying Conceited vs. Yung Ill will come out when it never will.

Rone deserves better, at least put him on a Born Legacy, he'd kill that stage. I think it's even less likely if he currently holds the KOTD chain too.

Rone won. Ice had too many dry spots. Only debatable round is the 2nd imo which was prob the weakest from both.

also thanks MileS for the improved stream link

Spladam

It's not that different from acapella cyphers if you've ever been around one. Also the yelling varies from rapper to rapper. Assuming you watched a URL battle where there's a higher focus on aggression. Still, even on that platform there's rappers like B Magic who are more laid back.

Here's one you might wanna check out if you're curious about modern battles.

That was pretty bad-ass. Battle Rap is like an aggro poetry jam roast. I still wish there was someone making free beats for these things, but I realize that would kinda confine the creativity, crowd participation, and up the difficulty a couple of notches. These guys are pretty clever though.

Gjonaj-Chilla was pretty light honestly. Gjonaj's 3rd and Chilla's mario scheme were the only standouts for me. Slight edge to Gjonaj (2nd and 3rd), I can see a lot of people giving it to Chilla though, he had more material. A lot of it fell flat for me though.

Daylyt-Cortez was FIYAH! Cortez was really battling, Daylyt was rapping really well about a bunch of things. Depends on what you want to hear.

mileS

Daylyt's 2nd was awesome. Cortez didn't have the greatest first and I skipped the rest of his rounds. Will watch the official release when its out.

Overall Blackout aka Backout would have been below avg EVEN with the backout's showing up. Extremely disappointing event :/

Yeah I haven't finished watching all the battles yet but it was a mediocre event for sure. Gjonaj vs Chilla should have been a classic and it wasn't even close. Diz vs Serius was entertaining, possibly not for all the right reasons but still worth watching regardless.

Diz actually did decently well apart from the remarkably corny way he ended his 3rd.

Top Bottom