• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioHazard 5 screens and video from Capcom DVD

Yoboman

jj984jj said:
I have a weakness for memes. :(

Seriously though, there are people actually writing off/bashing the game based on what little information we have and what's still early build footage. Unless you hated RE4 I see no reason to write it off completely or call the game RE4.5 at this point, yet some people have done that already simply because of what seems to be the lead SKU for the game. Those people are the ones with some serious issues.
Wow :lol

1-D_FTW

CrushDance said:
What the hell. Do you guys really enjoy this console war bullcrap? Knock it off.

I came for the video and winced at the comments. What the hell, people? This thread is an embarrassment.

Tom Penny

You really can't walk and shoot at the same time. Time to upgrade that shit. Maybe they keep the worste inventory system ever too. At least the graphics are good.

zoukka

Tom Penny said:
You really can't walk and shoot at the same time. Time to upgrade that shit. Maybe they keep the worste inventory system ever too. At least the graphics are good.

Yeah why not change the perspective to First Person and those stupid zombies to terrorists who can shoot back.

Morons.

The tank controls need to fuckin go though.

When will you realise, they're not going anywhere anytime soon. This is Resident Evil, not Strafedent of move while you shevil.

jett

D-Member
Tom Penny said:

The inventory system from RE4 I don't mind that much. The tank controls need to fuckin go though.

Yoboman

Tom Penny said:
Then it just turns into a regular shooter. As "archaic" as that design may seem, it is very purposeful and appropriate for a horror game. That said I would prefer some sort of "duck and weave/site step/dash back" mechanic like God Hand has to compensate for it because it does get sluggish and annoying when an enemy gets too close

epmode said:
By throwing tons of enemies and ammo at you, yeah.

It was a bad decision in RE4, it's a bad one now. Worse, even.
Well I couldn't get into the old REs (not because of ammo issues but because of the fixed perspective and resulting control problems) so RE4 did that right for me. Of course it's more action oriented but not to the extent that it's just another third person shooter.

its resident evil, thats why, controls stuck in the 90s, shame, graphics are really nice, nice HDR, nice shadowing, lots of nice texturing effects, same old archaic control system :/
I'm going to force myself to beat it, just to know if it gets better, but the movement restrictions really turned me off. Not being able to strafe? I mean, I have no problems with slow movement, but at least give me the option to make a step to the right when a fucking axe is coming at me!!!
Yeah, I think based on that footage it seems like there's no creativity to keep moving forward without Mikami. How dissapointing, after what a big leap forward RE4 was I didn't want them to just stand still with the franchise

Bu bu but Outbreak had strafe shooting and minimal? Mikami influence.. damnit between that and original MH, curse those who left it on the shelf.

jett

D-Member
Yoboman said:
Then it just turns into a regular shooter. As "archaic" as that design may seem, it is very purposeful and appropriate for a horror game. That said I would prefer some sort of "duck and weave/site step/dash back" mechanic like God Hand has to compensate for it because it does get sluggish and annoying when an enemy gets too close

Well, RE5 does have that, going by the second trailer. Nobody knows how it works exactly.

Ello

zoukka said:
Yeah why not change the perspective to First Person and those stupid zombies to terrorists who can shoot back.

Morons.

When will you realise, they're not going anywhere anytime soon. This is Resident Evil, not Strafedent of move while you shevil.

So just because you can walk and shot at the same time it would atomaticly turn into a shooter like any other game?

Wow...

Yoboman

jett said:
Well, RE5 does have that, going by the second trailer. Nobody knows how it works exactly.
Yes I'm hoping so, but the new vid worries me cause it shows nothing of the sort - nor aggressive enough enemies to need it.

I presume, because it looks so similar, that it's like God Hand and the fact that the right analog stick is free anyway. You move the stick forward to duck and weave, left and right to side-step, and back to step back. I think it'd be the perfect addition if it works exactly like God Hand's (minus the flip)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the version being played in the video was actually running on a PC. Using the 360 pad with a PC is incredibly easy to do and would make it seem as if they were playing a console version.

I'm not worried about either version, though, as DMC4 turned out beautifully. The poor Lost Planet port was not handled by Capcom proper.

f@luS said:
its based on 4 because of the camera view? roflmao. Gear of war based on RE4 am confirmed. fos
Cliffy B cites RE4 as a big influence on Gears of War FYI.

RE5 is obviously using the same control and gameplay system as RE4, so why you'd argue that by citing a game that did draw quite a bit from RE4 (guess what, Uncharted's developers cite RE4 as a big influence too) is beyond me.

RE4 was an incredible game that stood out for lots of reasons... i don't see any problem with this game using that as the base of it's design given that, you know, it's a sequel to it.

are you all slamming Halo 3 and Resistance 2 for not reinventing the gameplay of their predecessors?

RE4 had awesome gameplay, and since we've had just the one game to use it, i'm not sure how it may have overstayed its welcome.

zoukka

Ello said:
So just because you can walk and shot at the same time it would atomaticly turn into a shooter like any other game?

Wow...

Did I say so? But if they did allow you to do that, they would have to change a hell of a lot other things too. I reckon it would be pretty hard to create zombies that would pose any threat to a player that keeps running in circles and firing. They would have to be ultra-fast/strong or equipped with revolutionary AI.

In RE4 there was always a way out of tight situations. No need for strafe I say. (I'm glad the developers know what they are doing)

If you had full analog control, you would be fucking unstoppable in RE. Like, that's why the original RE4 became DMC.

The fact that your hampered with tank control, is what balances the game, considering most enemies are slow. This is what makes RE4 as intense as it is. You'd need to be half-way retarded not to realize this.

Honestly, I don't expect RE5 to be better than RE4 as a whole. Simply because few members of the original team are even working on it. And well...Mikami's non-involvement is another reason.

Ello said:

Wow...
RE4's gameplay was designed around the fact you couldn't sidestep or move and shoot at the same time, and it was great.

letting you walk and shoot, and sidestep, would completely change the pace of the game and yes, make that pacing much more like other games.

if you like those kind of games, you're welcome to go play them, but don't begrudge us TWO games of this nature. it might be action survival horror these days, but the survival horror part remains and lots of us love the game as it is.

zoukka

The-Switcher said:
If you had full analog control, you would be fucking unstoppable in RE. Like, that's why the original RE4 became DMC.

The fact that your hampered with tank control, is what balances the game, considering most enemies are slow. This is what makes RE4 as intense as it is. You'd need to be half-way retarded not to realize this.

This and the bolded need to be stickied in every RE thread to come. For an eternity!

The-Switcher said:

I was just going to say this. The intermittent control is the whole point of playing a game like this in the first place. You're in the context of horror/suspense, not action.

Ello

zoukka said:
Did I say so? But if they did allow you to do that, they would have to change a hell of a lot other things too. I reckon it would be pretty hard to create zombies that would pose any threat to a player that keeps running in circles and firing. They would have to be ultra-fast/strong or equipped with revolutionary AI.

In RE4 there was always a way out of tight situations. No need for strafe I say. (I'm glad the developers know what they are doing)

I never said aim and run at the same time, I said walk. Like Snake walks while he aims in MGS4 when it's over the shoulder.

That means they really don't have to change a lot, maybe have a few more zombies (or whatever they are) coming at you and make them a little faster.

wow, i had no clue so many people had a problem with RE4. i thought it was one of the best games i've ever played and i hope RE5 is very similar. The aiming/movement takes some getting used to but its pretty damn great for what the game is. RE5 + Alone in the Dark... oh yeah

Ello said:
I never said aim and run at the same time, I said walk. Like Snake walks while he aims in MGS4 when it's over the shoulder.

That means they really don't have to change a lot, maybe have a few more zombies (or whatever they are) coming at you and make them a little faster.
they don't want to.

the majority of us that loved RE4 don't want them to.

go play something else :(

dkeane

Looks great. It will be strange to not use the wii remote as I really enjoyed the speed and accuracy of aiming even though it made the game way too easy. This is probably my most anticipated game, I'd like to know what year I can be expecting it though.

I can't wait for this game, but i have to admit that Capcom really need to change the animations (though one would think that they will change as development continues). It looked extremely similar to RE4, and as good as RE4 is, RE5 still needs to innovate and change things up a bit.

_Alkaline_ said:
I can't wait for this game, but i have to admit that Capcom really need to change the animations (though one would think that they will change as development continues). It looked extremely similar to RE4, and as good as RE4 is, RE5 still needs to innovate and change things up a bit.
i thought the enemy animations looked much improved, but i guess you're talking about Chris's animation which there's nothing wrong with, but yes, they do look like very similar movements to Leon's.

PolyGone

Banned
commariodore64 said:
Open GL for realtime in most 3D apps. Looks Maya-esque.

its Softimage | XSI

and I still have mixed feelings about this game's setting. If anything its a pretty damning indictment of American gamers (from their perspective, they're simply giving us what we want). Afterall, the biohazard series hasn't been selling as well in their native Japan as it does over here, so they are tailoring it for us. And they think we want to shoot Africans.

rhino4evr

i loved RE4, but even Im a bit disappointed at what's shown here. The trailers (even the early ones in the city) showed running zombies. From what I can tell from this video the enemies act and react very similar to what we have already seen. It really does look like RE4-the remake. having the opening scene in a village, doesn't really help the comparisons either.

Draft

Game of the year.

Going to be the best looking title on both next-gen systems.

Console warriors go jump into a pit.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Damn. I'll play it, but, its like a carbon copy of RE4, even down to the animations. :/

I do not trust Capcom to balance the difficulty, if they added strafe shooting at all. Outbreak 2 wasn't the hardest thing under the sun, but, it sure as hell wasn't easy by any means. Their way of fixing the problem was adding nothing but crimson heads in the game and making them look like regular zombies. That made playing by yourself a royal pain in the ass. Didn't help that ammo was actually limited, either. If they had it in RE4 as it is now, the game would be even more broken than the wii version is.

I hope they bring their best. Alone in the dark looks to be doing some creative shit puzzle wise and no RE game has touched the forensic stuff done in the Condemned games, especially 2.

Tom Penny

I guess the Madden theory works for fans of the game like RE. Barely update the game and people are still happy with it even though it's just more of the same. I liked RE4 but it had plenty of flaws.

Busty

Banned
Draft said:
Game of the year.

Going to be the best looking title on both next-gen systems.

Console warriors go jump into a pit.

And yet... still they come...

DO-DO-DOOOOOOOOOOOO /Jeff Wayne's:War Of the Worlds.

Tom Penny said:
I guess the Madden theory works for fans of the game like RE. Barely update the game and people are still happy with it even though it's just more of the same. I liked RE4 but it had plenty of flaws.
oh no a sequel to a hugely loved game that completely rewrote the rule book for an entire genre doesn't do it again.

oh no all they seem to have done is totally overhaul the lighting, give it some of the best looking graphics on any system, and put it in a completely different setting to any other game in the series.

go fuck up a Vegas 2 thread instead. or a Halo 3 thread. or a Resistance 2 thread.

comparing RE5 to Madden would be fair if RE4 hadn't completely revitalised a genre that most people had fallen out of love with, and if the improvements weren't obviously substantial across the board.

horror games are about atmosphere. adding improved lighting to Madden does nothing for Madden, but it does so much for a horror game.

RE4 is my favourite game. shame on me for wanting more of the same with improved visuals.

1-D_FTW

The-Switcher said:

Honestly, I don't expect RE5 to be better than RE4 as a whole. Simply because few members of the original team are even working on it. And well...Mikami's non-involvement is another reason.

I don't think that was the purpose of it at all. I think it was a Japanese company making a game that could be enjoyed by its home audience that doesn't play FPS games.

I used to be good at console FPS games. Then I quit playing them and am all thumbs when trying to control them. I can't aim to save my life. It's beyond ugly. When I played RE4, I hadn't played a console FPS in like 2 years (went PC exclusive for those.) I was able to play RE4 immediately and had no problems. Capcom did a marvelous job at creating a control scheme that didn't have a massive learning curve. Selfishness aside, that's also good for a game with a large Japanese audience that doesn't play FPS games.

who cares if it's an enhanced version, Africa-based RE4? I want more of it, and I don't think it looked SO TOTALLY innovative in the early trailer

I'm all about it

Top Bottom