• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taurus

Kaz Hirai, chief executive of Sony’s PlayStation games console business, has set an ambitious target of reaching nearly 150m in sales for its slow-starting PlayStation 3 console.

Sony told those attending the video game industry’s E3 convention last week that sales of its original PlayStation, launched in 1994, had reached 102m units and the PlayStation 2 console had now passed 140m worldwide in its ninth year on sale.
Mr Hirai, in a Financial Times interview, said his aim was for the PS3 to surpass sales of the PS2 over a similar time period.

“It’s not fun for me replicating the PS2 numbers. I’ve seen that movie already,” he said.

“I want to try to see if we can exceed the PS2 numbers after nine years, otherwise why are we in this business?”

Twenty months after the PS3’s release, the console is barely 10 per cent towards his target. Sales to the end of Sony’s fiscal year in March were 12.85m and it expects to sell another 10m in the current fiscal year.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1c46ad2e-...20-11db-b0dc-000b5df10621.html?nclick_check=1

(add a huge row of lols here)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sadist

:lol
168eu6o.gif
168eu6o.gif
168eu6o.gif

Jammy

Banned
Only 137 million more to go! :lol

I don't think ANY system will reach that number. Maybe the Wii... but the DS has the best chance. And that's if this generation keeps going on without any interruptions (such as new companies entering the market, new consoles being released, etc.)

Master Z

I like this attitude. With a goal like that they are forced to work very hard in trying to accomplish it and the more these companies compete with each other the better it will be for us gamers.

jrricky

Banned
common someone we need data and graphs. If the PS3 keeps selling what it does at this rate how long till it get there............

:lol :lol :lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Jammy said:
Only 137 million more to go! :lol

I don't think ANY system will reach that number. Maybe the Wii... but the DS has the best chance. And that's if this generation keeps going on without any interruptions (such as new companies entering the market, new consoles being released, etc.)

not even the ps2 huh? its already at like 130 million.

Hunter D

Ranger X said:
Needless to say, this is ambitious...
No, its stupid. I can see wii doing this. PS3 or the 360? They would need divine intervention for this to happen.

Vic said:
J'voudrais bien savoir que'ce que tu fumes o_O

Ca viens probablement du meme stash que Sony :lol
I won't probably be a meme. It will be one.

test_account

XP-39C²
“I want to try to see if we can exceed the PS2 numbers after nine years, otherwise why are we in this business?”
Judging by this quote, all he says is that he wants to see if its possible for the PS3 to exceed the PS2 numbers after ninte years. I would guess that its like 99.9% impossible for the PS3 to exceed the PS2 numbers after nine years, but i wouldnt say there is anything wrong to try it :) On the other hand, since its pretty much impossible i dont know why he mentioned that goal though. As said, its nothing wrong with trying to do something like this, but when its pretty much impossible, i dunno why he mentioned it. Ah well :)

Gabyskra

Banned
Master Z said:
I like this attitude. With a goal like that they are forced to work very hard in trying to accomplish it and the more these companies compete with each other the better it will be for us gamers.
It's not an attitude, it's PR b-s.

So fiscal 07, Sony stated they planned to sell 11 million PS3 units and then for fiscal 08 they stated they plan to sell 10 million PS3 units.

If he wants to reach these goals, shouldn't they be increasing their projections year over year instead of decreasing them?

womfalcs3

Banned
Vic said:
J'voudrais bien savoir que'ce que tu fumes o_O

Ca viens probablement du meme stash que Sony :lol

:lol I was just trying to be different.

There's no way PS3 surpasses PS2 sales. Maybe 100 million I can believe as a reasonable goal, but not 150.

Jammy

Banned
jrricky said:
common someone we need data and graphs. If the PS3 keeps selling what it does at this rate how long till it get there...........

:lol :lol :lol

Well, Sony SHOULD hit 15 million worldwide by this November, which would be its two-year anniversary.

Going by that, it would take 6 years to reach 45 million at this pace, 12 years for 90 million, etc. etc.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
hahahahha even the friggin ds - the beast of this generation will be lucky to hit that mark... and hirai thinks the ps3 can get there ? muhahahah

Jammy

Banned
davepoobond said:
not even the ps2 huh? its already at like 130 million.

Nah. PS2's been slowing down a lot. And I think the 130 million has to be buffed up or something. We just got NPD LTDs and Media Create LTDs and the numbers just don't match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom