• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War Warhammer 2 |OT| Of Mice and Ratmen

Are the higher difficulties mostly economy fuckery or is the AI more aggressive/smarter?

The AI is more agressive towards you, and there's some buffs/debuff to make them stronger, they get higher and you get lower leadership, you also get penalties to public order. I find hard or very hard to be where you want to play in general, with legendary being annoyingly skewed and normal being way too easy.

Started my Skaven playthrough, I do really like the Menace Below ability and Vermintide spell, I basically start with 20units, all of which are just slaves so far because they're stupidly cheap, only non slave units are my starting plaguemonks and a catapult, and then I summon 10-12 units of clanrats during the fight to win against bigger odds. Main annoyance is I can't autoresolve shit this way, but it's been pretty fun.

Also interesting that with the ambush bonus skill, it seems skavens are basically always getting an ambush fight. At least I haven't gotten a non ambush fight in the past ~10fights, their default stance gives you ambush bonus. It helps quite a bit with my strat since I get a bunch of free shots with my catapult while the enemy tries to reform their lines and I get the first 2 menace below before the fight starts or so(first one on artillery/ranged skinks, 2nd one generally in front of my army to soak up some damage as the enemy is charging).

I'm getting attacked on all sides as per usual though, stupid dwarfs came down their mountains while 2stacks of some lizards popped up, and while I can win all individual fights it's hard to do them in a row with no healing. And the dwarfs stacks were really annoying to beat, my strat doesn't work that well when every enemy unit has 80+ armor. I almost cleaned up, if I can manage to do it I'll have a pretty easy time I think, especially since I just hit tier3 so I can start pumping out plaguemonks instead of slaves, they're squishy as hell but should make the frontline a lot more deadly.

Jesus...Skaven Mages are for real. In one Skaven battle as Lizardmen...the Skaven mage just spammed spells against Lord Maz...and almost killed him in like 2-3 spells.

This AI is dumb as shit sometimes. I just played on a river map that had two choke points. So I naturally split my forces into two to guard both. The AI sent all their forces to one choke point. This allowed my other force to flank behind them uncontested, lol.

Violet_0

Banned
got distracted by the GW2 addon, but I'm downloading now. I thought the thread would have had more post by now, I guess GAF really isn't that much into PC gaming

MALEKITH
Malekith commands the Naggarond faction in Nagaroth. He is mighty warrior, a great sorcerer and a brilliant general. After losing the civil war he sulks in the bleak land of Naggaroth with his equally deranged mother Morathi, earning the derision of all Warhammer fans for being the world’s biggest baby.

<3

Vaporak

Man, the change to how much new lords cost in upkeep penalties is super brutal and totally uncalled for. :(

got distracted by the GW2 addon, but I'm downloading now. I thought the thread would have had more post by now, I guess GAF really isn't that much into PC gaming

<3

GAF is extremely console skewed forum, I wouldn't expect very many posts in here to be honest.

Shengar

so how does it work with TW1? do i install both? just 2? what about the dlc from 1?

It seems that they're going to release it as free DLC or maybe even as separate launcher on Steam.

Mortal Empires is going to available in some weeks. For more info you can read their post about it here.

so how does it work with TW1? do i install both? just 2? what about the dlc from 1?

You just need TW2 installed unless you specifically want to play the Old World campaign and factions from TW1. That being said the Mortal Empires isn't out yet. It's suppose to release in the next few weeks. I'm just going to leave TW1 installed until Mortal Empires in case I want to go back and play those factions.

ElyrionX

As Empire in WH1, I never built public order buildings. But as HE here, I find at least one public order building in each province is almost necessary.

karnage10

Banned
Awesome OT. I think you might have the starting descriptions for Tyrion and Teclis backwards though, just from watching early streams I think Teclis was leading the Loremasters from Lustria and Tyrion was Lothren. Not that its even a huge deal, OT is dope.

thank you, i corrected it.

I already played 11 hours. Send help.

The help got stuck playing this game. I played 13h, I feel like a kid.

Danicard

Neo Member
I'm really liking the game, i started with Malekith and my mother controls half of Naggaroth! I guess it's time to cross the seas and invand Ulthuan.

Menace Below is great for disrupting archers and artillery.

The hilarious thing is when Dwarfy comes strolling down his mountains to sack my undefended settlements, and I just go camp in a corner and use all my free menace to kill all his artillery/archers with no chance of winning. Free units are cool. Those clanrats are surprisingly strong against archer/artillery units too, I thought they'd take longer to kill them since clanrats are pretty low tier but they can kill artillery in like 5seconds if it's setup(if it's moving it takes longer cause the guys are running around and stuff) and other than Lothern Sea Guards they deal with archer units very easily too(skinks run away fast though).

I more or less stabilized from my early shitty situations, dwarfs eventually made peace cause they were getting killed everytime they came down the mountains, original lizardman just sieged one of my settlements for like 7turns then proceeded to lose the siege fight because they only had a bunch of skinks and ran back to their only remaining settlement, gonna kill them and start moving north towards the other lizardmen.

Really liking Skrolk too, he doesn't do great damage but he does alright in melee and is pretty tanky it feels like, and his spells are great. Got one of his quest items and it made Wither only 11power or something, big aoe -30armor, -60armor when upgraded and lasts for a while, great to murder all the annoying armored stuff with my shitty clanrats. I also replaced most slaves with plague monks, but not sure if it's worth it, they obviously do a ton more damage but they're not expendable so losses affect morale and they're squishy as shit. I just started building the main amory building since I didn't need clanrats before, I think I'll get some stormvermin with shields in there to tank for the plaguemonks. Oh and the plagueclaw catapult has been the big damage dealer in pretty much every fight, racking up 200+ kills constantly. I think it's rank9 already 35turns in. Really like the added morale damage too, it breaks stuff really quickly, sadly it runs out of ammo quite often.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm having a blast so far! I swear it runs and looks better on my machine than 1 ever did.

My only complaint is that the load times are somewhat long. I'm going to try and move it over to my SSD and see if that helps.

Str1ke4

I'm having a blast so far! I swear it runs and looks better on my machine than 1 ever did.

My only complaint is that the load times are somewhat long. I'm going to try and move it over to my SSD and see if that helps.

Moved it to my SSD today and load times seem much better, but then, i didn't test it much when it was on my hdd.

ISee

I absolutely F uped. I expanded way to aggressive and now I'm not able to hold my dark elves empire together. Especially parts corrupted by Chaos. Even worse Malekith and one of his generals spent so much time in chaos infested lands that they became insane (-5 public order in his region) and now it is even harder to hold control over chaos infested lands. *sigh*

Drakhoran

Neo Member
So I guess High Elves are good at this trading thing then.

rwQwxB5.jpg

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Moved it to my SSD today and load times seem much better, but then, i didn't test it much when it was on my hdd.

Good to hear. Is moving games around dangerous? I haven't moved games between drives that are associated with Steam before.

Drakhoran

Neo Member
No, as long as you have a Steam library folder on your SSD you just right click on the game, select Properties -> Local Files -> Move Install Folder and let Steam handle it.

cripterion

DX12 Beta. Should it be used or is DX11 still preferable?
I looked at 4K and Ultra on Campaign map and yeah, around 35 - 45 fps which isn't too bad as 60 fps isn't really a requirement. However 1440p and Ultra and MSAAx2 was 60fps and looked very decent. However yet to actually play as I've been very busy. But looking forward to some lizard on rat action!

I like how after all this time DX12 is still considered "beta" and still gives worse performance than DX11.

Without an SSD I'd be hitting autoresolve just to avoid load-times (especially late game in TW:W1).
Even with an SSD, the autoresolve is always tempting (especially in sieges where I outnumber the enemy).

How are people finding the difficulty? Is hard mode reasonable for a first game?
I'm thinking of playing Elves and I'm wary of choosing a race that depends on diplomacy, when hard difficulties have gimped player diplomacy in most TW games.

Started with Malekith, good fun.
But performance is way worse and I am also seeing some strange graphical bugs.

I copied my settings from WH1 and even turned down texture and unit detail from ultra to high and it's still running worse (even with no blood). E.g. Chillwind chunks my fps for whatever reason.

Are the higher difficulties mostly economy fuckery or is the AI more aggressive/smarter?

Semi related:
It's always funny to me how some people asks for the AI to be smarter/better in higher difficulties. Do people understand that the only way to do that would be to worsen the AI in the lower difficulties? Why would developers do that??

Wanting to play in a lower difficulty means wanting to have an easier time, but not wanting to play with a less intelligent or less 'human-like' AI. The right way to do that is to give economic/diplomatic/morale penalties to the low difficulty or/and give economic/diplomatic/morale bonuses to the high difficulty.

If a developer would be able to create a better AI algorithm but only applies it in higher difficulties in an update, it would be a bad choice not a good one, he would be robbing of that feature to people who doesn't choose that difficulty.

I just CAN'T keep playing the game. The graphics are way too sharp. It really hurts my eyes, specially the campaign map. Even with FXAA activated it looks so bad. Never had this problem before with WH1. I will have to wait until they fix this, but right now is unplayable for me...

Ravelle

I really wish these sort of games, Total War and Civ's had AI with a brain and that can take a hint, if I say no to your peace treaty it's also no to the the next 50 times you ask me.

Lord Phol

This AI is dumb as shit sometimes. I just played on a river map that had two choke points. So I naturally split my forces into two to guard both. The AI sent all their forces to one aqchoke point. This allowed my other force to flank behind them uncontested, lol.

That was the exact same thing that happened to me, probably on the same map. In my case though the AI spent the first 10 minutes shooting at me with one of their hellcannons and missing every shot. Once it was out of ammo they stormed in and died. I would probably have lost if it wasn't for those choke points.

ISee

giphy.gif

When you drop £3000 on a new pc and you only hit dat 40fps

Lol, but no. You should never expect 60fps, ultra settings at high resolutions. No matter what kind of money you spend. There is a certain point where more money will only give you very incremental increase in performance. I'm able to get 1440p/fxaa/60 by turning of screen space reflections, dof and turning down shadows to ultra (dx11). The rest stays at max settings. Thats what I expected my build to do and that's what I got: 1440p/60 at reasonable ultra settings in AAA games for at least two years.
A 1080ti should be able to give you 1440p/60/fxaa with the same settings + screen space reflections + dof or extreme shadows.

Semi related:
It's always funny to me how some people asks for the AI to be smarter/better in higher difficulties. Do people understand that the only way to do that would be to worsen the AI in the lower difficulties? Why would developers do that??

Wanting to play in a lower difficulty means wanting to have an easier time, but not wanting to play with a less intelligent or less 'human-like' AI. The right way to do that is to give economic/diplomatic/morale penalties to the low difficulty or/and give economic/diplomatic/morale bonuses to the high difficulty.

If a developer would be able to create a better AI algorithm but only applies it in higher difficulties in an update, it would be a bad choice not a good one, he would be robbing of that feature to people who doesn't choose that difficulty.

There are a lot of annoying ways to play the game: dancing with your generals and harassing enemies with heroes. The same applies in the battle scenarios where a more intelligent AI can move armies back to get any small terrain or formation advantage without considering the player's enjoyment in the game. It would be tedious and less entertaining, but that would be the cost of more human-like expert AI. Developers shouldn't aim for annoying AI playstyles in lower difficulties.

Lol, but no. You should never expect 60fps, ultra settings at high resolutions. No matter what kind of money you spend. There is a certain point where more money will only give you very incremental increase in performance. I'm able to get 1440p/fxaa/60 by turning of screen space reflections, dof and turning down shadows to ultra (dx11). The rest stays at max settings. Thats what I expected my build to do and that's what I got: 1440p/60 at reasonable ultra settings in AAA games for at least two years.
A 1080ti should be able to give you 1440p/60/fxaa with the same settings + screen space reflections + dof or extreme shadows.

I have to admit that I was very disappointed with the performance. I can only see the islands around the vortex and a bit of the continent to the south. Im already hovering in sub 40 frames and it makes all the menus seem extremely "laggy." I have no idea how the huge two continent campaign can work so that I would actually finish it like this.

What I just dont get is why the actual battles run so much better.. I gotta try to play with the settings some more tonight.

There are a lot of annoying ways to play the game: dancing with your generals and harassing enemies with heroes. The same applies in the battle scenarios where a more intelligent AI can move armies back to get any small terrain or formation advantage without considering the player's enjoyment in the game. It would be tedious and less entertaining, but that would be the cost of more human-like expert AI. Developers shouldn't aim for annoying AI playstyles in lower difficulties.

The AI is very good at macroing its cavalry. I saved a replay from one match from the first game to see how the AI uses them so effectively and my god it was beautiful and horrifying at the same time. xD

ISee

Sändersson;250389323 said:
What I just dont get is why the actual battles run so much better.. I gotta try to play with the settings some more tonight.

That's true. The overworld map is very GPU heavy in this one, especially around the vortex and msaa still seems to be broken just like in TWW1.

That's true. The overworld map is very GPU heavy in this one, especially around the vortex and msaa still seems to be broken just like in TWW1.

Yeah, from what I checked my gpu was at 100% all the time in the campaign map. How was msaa broken in TWWI? I used it and it seemed to work. It couldnt just be placebo...

ISee

Sändersson;250389938 said:
Yeah, from what I checked my gpu was at 100% all the time in the campaign map. How was msaa broken in TWWI? I used it and it seemed to work. It couldnt just be placebo...

It didn't work properly close to launch and was even more performance heavy then usual.

Top Bottom