• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Maybesew

Oh! Ok. I guess I was looking at the S&P 500 Index. What is the difference?

The index trades under SPX but it's not as liquid as SPY, so you are better off just trading more shares of SPY

If you want the futures contras it's symbol is /ES and each contract is the size of 500 shares of SPY

Hey Guys - First time reading this thread. I am an absoute newbie in investing. Had a few questions.

1) I need a starting point in investing and stocks in general. I do want to learn about it but mostly I want to know whats the best way to invest a 20k investment, do i need to work with an investment expert?

2) Also, How much investment do i need and for how long if i need a monthly return of say $5k dollars? Thanks guys!
What are your goals here? Investing all your savings is a bad idea. If this is for retirement, there is a good thread on that which advises about index funds.

5k a month, so 60k a year. 8% average return a year, so you need 750k in capital. That is if you follow the average S&P 500, there will be better and worse years of course.

fixuis

What are your goals here? Investing all your savings is a bad idea. If this is for retirement, there is a good thread on that which advises about index funds.

5k a month, so 60k a year. 8% average return a year, so you need 750k in capital. That is if you follow the average S&P 500, there will be better and worse years of course.

Thanks! The overall goal is just more financial freedom and yes saving for retirment. I'll give that other thread a look also :)

Thanks! The overall goal is just more financial freedom and yes saving for retirment. I'll give that other thread a look also :)
Standard advice is: for retirement you want to get into index funds and just put money in it every month. Since you probably have a few decades to go, that money will grow over time there following the market. There are a ton of index funds to pick, depending on your location you probably want a mix of total market and US markets. Ask in that other thread, they have a ton of good advice there (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749978). The 8% I mentioned is the average S&P 500 return over the last decades there.

For active investments, only do it with money you can stand to lose. Picking individual stocks is a lot more riskier then just following the market. Can be more profitable also, but know the risks and sometimes be ready to take a loss. Don't be too blinded when reading success stories, since people don't tend to mention their wrong bets.

If you want a steady stream of dividends, there are some index funds for that, or you can pick stocks yourself (but again, can be more risky). This is one thing I'm doing a bit with building my portfolio.

Buying stock that has just gone up so much always seem so risky to me. But well, I'm also missing out on the potential profit then. Tough call.

Anyway, steel doing well today. China is going to cut production. Up 4% today. Bought in last week after it triggered my buy order. Went a bit below that, but in the green again with 2% profit at the moment.

Maybesew

Alright for the sake of thread unity, I just got long AUPH selling some 7.50 puts for 50 cents

How many people in here are in this stock?

ColdPizza

Banned
Alright for the sake of thread unity, I just got long AUPH selling some 7.50 puts for 50 cents

How many people in here are in this stock?

I think it's just me (and maybe MrBob)...

Sold 50% of my position on the way up....still holding half until buyout or commercialization.

Currently up over 300% on my current shares at an average of 2.45/sh

Maybesew

Sold 50% of my position on the way up....still holding half until buyout or commercialization.

Nice. The mechanics of my trade a horrible, but it's not that big of a position so I figured why not.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I know a few GAFFers are invested in AUPH.

Too late to buy in around this price?

I will get in around ~$7, holding to end of 2018. Which is very unlikely thanks to the new trump FDA appointee.

If someone feel like gambling with me I bought GNMX and SCYX also. They been doing great but prepare to lose everything.

ColdPizza

Banned
Other longer term bio play I'm in his SGYP....they have an approved drug for CIC (chronic idiopathic constipation). Might partner or get bought out...

They're also submitting an additional NDA for it for IBS. If accepted, would be a direct competitor to Linzess by Ironwood/Allergan, with much less side effects.

Only thing I don't like about SGYP right now is the market cap, which limits upside premium on a potential buyout.

Any quick advice on a buy-out situation? Had some Mobileye stock that FINALLY surpassed what i paid for it due to Intel buying them out, but I'm wondering if that means i should sell asap or still hold on to for any reason? No idea what happens if i hold with Intel purchasing the company...

ColdPizza

Banned
Any quick advice on a buy-out situation? Had some Mobileye stock that FINALLY surpassed what i paid for it due to Intel buying them out, but I'm wondering if that means i should sell asap or still hold on to for any reason? No idea what happens if i hold with Intel purchasing the company...

I guess hold if you think Intel shares will go up from here, or sell now if you don't intend to own Intel shares (or if you think the deal might fall through)...

RAD

FinKL

I was in on AUPH @ $2.80, and sold a few days after phase2 success thinking it hit the top. Man I still see AUPH on my ticker and every single day it goes up >_< I hate to chase...
I went in because some random Twitter trader recommended it, after that it fell to as low as $2.10. I was happy to more that double and get out of it being that low

Lesson learned, don't take advice from some random twitter trader

I'm actually looking for my next AUPH or dip to throw my profit in

ColdPizza

Banned
I was in on AUPH @ $2.80, and sold a few days after phase2 success thinking it hit the top. Man I still see AUPH on my ticker and every single day it goes up >_< I hate to chase...
I went in because some random Twitter trader recommended it, after that it fell to as low as $2.10. I was happy to more that double and get out of it being that low

Lesson learned, don't take advice from some random twitter trader

I'm actually looking for my next AUPH or dip to throw my profit in

well, you won't go broke taking profits either. i'm happy you made some money.

my strategy has been to sell off small portions all the way up.

FinKL

well, you won't go broke taking profits either. i'm happy you made some money.

my strategy has been to sell off small portions all the way up.

This is true! And just like that, it tanked off it's highs in after hours due to a Public Offering, although I can't find the details, so can't say how well it will hold up

Mrbob

I'm officially now looking at buying AUPH after it corrects from its offering.

I know some might be disappointed by an offering but this happens all the time after big runs in bio companies.

One of my best buys was in a similar situation. I missed out initially on an EXEL run, then an offering happened which dropped the stock price by like 30% under 4 bucks a share. Loaded up and it paid off nicely.

More recently look at AMD. If you got in after its offering dropped it under 6 you already made out nicely.

Obviously no guarantees but after the post offering correction (which can take some time) the stock starts moving back up.

Price on offering?

Maybesew

You are best off selling now. The stock will jsut sit here until the deal closes. You are better off investing that capital somewhere else.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm officially now looking at buying AUPH after it corrects from its offering.

I know some might be disappointed by an offering but this happens all the time after big runs in bio companies.

One of my best buys was in a similar situation. I missed out initially on an EXEL run, then an offering happened which dropped the stock price by like 30% under 4 bucks a share. Loaded up and it paid off nicely.

More recently look at AMD. If you got in after its offering dropped it under 6 you already made out nicely.

Obviously no guarantees but after the post offering correction (which can take some time) the stock starts moving back up.

Price on offering?

They needed the money and it would have been silly not to raise here after such a monstrous move.

Word is they're looking to raise $100m so I'm guessing they price this anywhere between $7-8 around 13-14 million shares. If they price below $7 I'm loading the fuck up.

This will be back above 10 within a few weeks, especially with a data readout coming in the next month.

fixuis

Standard advice is: for retirement you want to get into index funds and just put money in it every month. Since you probably have a few decades to go, that money will grow over time there following the market. There are a ton of index funds to pick, depending on your location you probably want a mix of total market and US markets. Ask in that other thread, they have a ton of good advice there (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749978). The 8% I mentioned is the average S&P 500 return over the last decades there.

For active investments, only do it with money you can stand to lose. Picking individual stocks is a lot more riskier then just following the market. Can be more profitable also, but know the risks and sometimes be ready to take a loss. Don't be too blinded when reading success stories, since people don't tend to mention their wrong bets.

If you want a steady stream of dividends, there are some index funds for that, or you can pick stocks yourself (but again, can be more risky). This is one thing I'm doing a bit with building my portfolio.

Thank you, Sir!

ColdPizza

Banned
yeah i'm fine. sold the 7.50 puts for 50 cents so my break even is $7

the after hours bids are still over $9, so we'll see what it opens at tomorrow

I hope the weak hands and bears push this below or close to where I sold. Now I know where this can go I'll buy back and then some.

I actually held Mobileye for awhile there and sold it after Tesla dumped them.

Fuck my shit. ;_;

Intel's desperation is palpable though, they paid $15 billion for Mobileye. That's like AMD paying $5.4 billion for ATI levels of way overpriced acquisitions. It seems the gold rush for driverless cars really on now, after Qualcomm picked up NXPI and now Intel grabbed Mobileye. Nvidia are like, what the fuck is wrong with you people??

ColdPizza

Banned
These shares are getting gobbled last AM and PM. You would think it tries to converge to 6.75 but I feel it will probably settle low to mid 7s. Maybe lower in a few days too like last time they raised $. No one knows though

6.75 is for the hedge funds and institutions and not necessarily retail investors. I'm probably going to make a play on this tomorrow. Want to see where the volume + price action takes this today. Plus I'm waiting for some funds to settle.

Maybesew

Working another sell order on the 7.50 puts. The advantage to trading small and often is a big down move in the other direction doesn't hurt that much, and I can double down at a better price

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How would US REITS perform under a scenario where inflation rises as a result of Trump's policies?

FinKL

6.75 is for the hedge funds and institutions and not necessarily retail investors. I'm probably going to make a play on this tomorrow. Want to see where the volume + price action takes this today. Plus I'm waiting for some funds to settle.

The volume is there for sure, just hope it goes lower so I can go long

Maybesew

They will but inflation could outpace that. Either way, up or down, I wonder how REITs are expected to react.

I used to invest in REITs back when i was really into dividend investing. It was going great until a down turn basically wiped them out.

With interest rates going up, their becomes more competition for fixed income investments. That's one of the reasons utility stocks have been down lately. I haven't looked at any REITs lately but O and NLY were the ones I followed I think.

It also depends a lot on the sector. like 20 years ago I bought some REIT because warren buffet had invested in it, and they basically just owned and rented out industrial warehouses, which is much different than one that owns malls and shopping centers. Come to think of it my father just asked me to look into omega healthcare which is a REIT that owns and operates assisted living places for senior citizens

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I have VNQ. Three funds are VEA, VIGI, BLV, VNQ, the later is the REIT fund. Those are my non-stock investments in my non-401k account (non-RRSP in Canada). The later three are more or less equal, composing around 60% of my investments. Want to reduce that to maybe 45%, put the rest in VUG and something more diversified, maybe VT. But I have been waiting as everything is really high.

I used to make good returns with video game companies but they have all skyrocketed so I don't like going in now. I would expect a downturn starting in late 2018 or early 2019, too much competition from online games that require high investments and compete even against games of the same publisher.

I have VNQ. Three funds are VEA, VIGI, BLV, VNQ, the later is the REIT fund. Those are my non-stock investments in my non-401k account (non-RRSP in Canada). The later three are more or less equal, composing around 60% of my investments. Want to reduce that to maybe 45%, put the rest in VUG and something more diversified, maybe VT. But I have been waiting as everything is really high.

I used to make good returns with video game companies but they have all skyrocketed so I don't like going in now. I would expect a downturn starting in late 2018 or early 2019, too much competition from online games that require high investments and compete even against games of the same publisher.

Some of them are still good buys, IMO. TakeTwo is a steady performer and I think Nintendo will see above $30 this year (I dumped them two weeks before the Pokemon Go spike...yeah).

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
AUPH did drop to 7 dollar range yesterday, too&#8203; bad I did not listen to myself and bought at $8.10, oh well it is a long hold, hopefully.

GNMX and SCYX are taking me to a rollercoaster ride. I think I am dropping SCYX, 12% gain in 3 days are good enough, and my portfolio is getting weighed too heavily on biotech being nearly 20% of my investment.

Now I just need a exit price, but it is going up as I type this... Exiting if it drop back to 3%

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Why is the S&P 500 and literally everything going up suddenly?

Euro also up 1%, fuck. xD

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fed-rate-hike-decision-march-2017-142524828.html

For the first time this year, the Federal Reserve raised interest rates, a widely expected move following strengthening economic reports and signals from Fed officials. After its two-day policy meeting, the Federal Open Market Committee voted to raise the range of the federal funds rate to 0.75% and 1.00%, citing progress in labor market growth, business fixed investment and inflation. “In view of realized and expected labor market conditions and inflation, the Committee decided to raise…the fed funds rate,” the central bank wrote in its statement.

Top Bottom