• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

These threads always depress me. :( I wish I could draw half as good as some of you guys. Alas, my days of artistic ambition have long since faded away.

Was trying out wheat-pasting last night, left the heat on too long and the mixture burnt, next time i think I'll invest in some wallpaper paste.

8wa0qu.jpg

h_a_t

blackadde said:
here's a children's book thing i did recently.
velveteen.jpg

anyways some of this is reposted from the old art thread that nobody ever read, so it's been heavily truncated.

Amazing.
I would wear that if it was a shirt, buy it and hang it up in my room if I could get it as a poster.....just awesome.

ice cream

Banned
So whats the best way to start with Illustrator? I've been using Photoshop for like four years now, but I really want to get into illustrator designs. You know the vector type.
I want to be PRO AT THE PEN TOOL!

Any tutorials for actually how to use illustrator, easy stuff?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Totally missed this thread, and posted this in the old one:

myself said:
So I really REALLY loved Iron Man (saw it in theatres 3 times) So I decided to do this piece. The entire thing was done in photoshop.

Here's the original art I did (Sorry about the huge size):
IronManhalf.png

I also did some wallpapers too for fun (I'm not too good at background so I decided to keep it simple)

1650x1050

1260x800

I would love to get any advice or critiques, anything and everything is welcome.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Same as Adumaha, what can I say theres new art threads here every now and again (btw, Painter is also beyond my money range too ;) )

dancer_girl.jpg

and a WIP, just to add something new (the finished piece wont look much different (the feet will be done and ill increase the contrast)

sorceress_color_wip2.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Adumaha said:
Totally missed this thread, and posted this in the old one:

As for your Iron Man pick. The artist Adi Granov was the guy that came up with the new Iron Man suit concept, hes a really talented guy and maybe following his process would work better for you. Tutorial here

As a piece it works well but some areas make it feel slightly more amateurish like the hands, arms and legs which came out looking much more Photoshopped than other very successful areas like the face (that part came out fantastic)

Basically the fingers threw me off, they look way round and oversimplified, also the foreshortening on his right arm doesn't really work and looks awkward. If his right arm was raised the pose would have ended up being much more dramatic and the awkward positioning wouldn't have stood up as much, the way he looks now is more ethereal (like a dancer) and less menacing, and you definitely want Iron Man to look as badass as he can all the time.

Quick quick quick PS "fix" to make the pose work better

iron_man_fix.jpg

Raging Spaniard

ice cream said:
So whats the best way to start with Illustrator? I've been using Photoshop for like four years now, but I really want to get into illustrator designs. You know the vector type.
I want to be PRO AT THE PEN TOOL!

Any tutorials for actually how to use illustrator, easy stuff?

I dont use it much, but Im told that mouse is king when using Illustrator, fuck the Tablet.

Other than that ... I got nothin'

Divvy

Raging Spaniard said:
As for your Iron Man pick. The artist Adi Granov was the guy that came up with the new Iron Man suit concept, hes a really talented guy and maybe following his process would work better for you. Tutorial here

As a piece it works well but some areas make it feel slightly more amateurish like the hands, arms and legs which came out looking much more Photoshopped than other very successful areas like the face (that part came out fantastic)

Basically the fingers threw me off, they look way round and oversimplified, also the foreshortening on his right arm doesn't really work and looks awkward. If his right arm was raised the pose would have ended up being much more dramatic and the awkward positioning wouldn't have stood up as much, the way he looks now is more ethereal (like a dancer) and less menacing, and you definitely want Iron Man to look as badass as he can all the time.

Quick quick quick PS "fix" to make the pose work better

iron_man_fix.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. Yeah I definetly had trouble with the hands. They came out alrite in the lineart but when coloured, ended up looking sausagey. The legs were a bit rushed as I didn't want to include them beforehand, but found that resulted in the lights not being centered and added them in last minute. I'll definitely go back and fix those points up when I have time.

As for the pose, I pretty much wanted to copy this pose from the civil war series:

zxp2d.jpg

But you're right, I should have paid more attention to the silhouette and modified it. But thanks again for the help, and the link!

Divvy

Did some caricatures while watching tv and cleaned them up:
Politics03.gif

I'm fairly happy with the Stewart and Colbert ones, but the Hillary one still looks off, any help would be great.

I sorta wanted to be good at art for a while, often doodling junk in my highschool assignment books and even taking a basic drawing class or two. However, I never really pushed myself beyond self gratifying hobbyism into dedicated commitment.Two weeks ago, I decided to really go for it, figuring that it's a better fate than working some office job or waiting to take over the family business.

I've been drawing every day since the last week of June, scouring Deviant art and comic books for pieces that I like and trying to redraw (not trace) them. I even have one of those girly fashion mags that I'm going to study from later.

I've been reading and drawing my way through tons of public tutorials and am making my way through 'How to Draw the Marvel Way.' I go to www.posemaniacs.com every other day and do a pages (both sides) full of 45 second drawings.

All this, and I haven't even touched rendering and coloring techniques, yeesh. At least I get a little bit of gratification when I occasionaly try a dynamic pose and come out with a good one.

So, to the artists in this thread: have you ever found a point where your work is "good enough?" How do you practice in your downtime? Any books or online tutorials you know about that could help a scrub like me? :lol

Shockgamer said:
So, to the artists in this thread: have you ever found a point where your work is "good enough?" How do you practice in your downtime? Any books or online tutorials you know about that could help a scrub like me? :lol
Im not a professional artist, and Im really young (19) but I can never imagine getting comfortable with my skill. Once I do, I gotta switch to drawing something else.
as for the actual topic, Ive been working on something for a while. Its one of the first things Ive worked on the computer. I still need to finish it and combine the two images into one and make a background. I wanna blow it up into a small poster and give it to my parents as a present. Its a drawing of my parents of when we were in Vegas. Ill probably hate it in a year or so :lol Here it is
momndad.jpg

Kauza

I feel I need to explain this stuff:

I used to work a 4-midnight shift at a hotel, and, well, it was boring as hell. Before I discovered the gamebridge and started playing games...I used MS paint.

Here's the result:

Abraxxas faxes his taxes to Mr. Dhoulmachsis:

34dimwh.jpg

Album Cover

2v3j5sl.jpg

The Image of an Innocent Mind

2v9y97t.jpg

And finally

There is No Title Weird Enough for This Picture

2edrukm.jpg

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
god damn people. you are too talented :(

I'mma get my game on soon. working too much lately. I've wanted to get some tutorial in Corell Painter X, since proper paint 'n shit is out of my price range atm.

Raging Spaniard

iddqd said:
some cool stuff in here, Raging Spaniard have you heard the SIDEBAR interview with adi?
if not, go here!

sketchbook things:
a.jpg

2.jpg

tengu.jpg

No I hadnt heard of it, thanks for the link!

Also, cool Tengu drawings!

Heres some of my latest, the narrative is page one of a short story Im helping out with on another site:

page_01.jpg

revolver_girl.jpg

fat_dood.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm not much of a drawer, but I doodle a bit when I have nothing to do at work. Usually i draw 1 panel comics like this:

Band_of_fish__At_the_beach_by_sp0rs.jpg

This series of characters are just some made up D&D characters.

Grignir the squid and his battle turkey "G.O.B."
Karage (no, not kurage) the pedestrian (the manowar mage there)
Mardok the bloody (a starfish, the thing buried in the sand back there)

This comic has karage enchanting a toy shovel, you kinda have to be a nerd to get it, I guess.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Below is my tribute to the Doom/Drone band Sunn 0))):

Sunn_tribute_by_YouFoolWarrenIsDEAD.jpg

It's actually part of a pamphlet I have to design for a class. I've posted it without all the text and such.

Raging Spaniard

Amazing stuff Ochre! Your work is nice because you give a enxecellent sense of movement to your paintings, makng them scape many cliches that deal with the same subject matter.

Im trying to do a daily sketch for these art forums I go to, once I have a semi decent number of them, I'll dump them here.

Heres the first batch

revolver_girl-1.jpg

landing_deck.jpg

spacey_girl.jpg

lost_future.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Raging Spaniard said:
Double post, sorry! Just finished this one ( <3 CT)

Frog.jpg

:eek:

:O

:O :O :O

That's amazing, Raging Spaniard! Absolutely stunning. I love Chrono Trigger and this is one of the best, if not the best piece of art I've ever seens someone make of it. Please keep doing what you do, it's awesome.

Also came in to say I'm mighty impressed. You guys are a talented bunch!

Raging Spaniard

Sad to see this thread be dead, but I'm still gonna add shit goddammit

forest_encounter.jpg

zakrharn_hunter.jpg

soulbent

I stopped working on this months ago, but decided to start again on it a few days ago. Took a break and decided to peruse GAF, and saw this thread. So what the heck, I'll show you my work in progress. I'm constantly changing things in it, and no one part is yet complete. Everything seen here will have finer detail and sharper contrast when finished. Tonight I decided to expand the borders, hence some sharp lines on the top and right sides. Yeah, I'm probably crazy, though I don't do any hard drugs. The background will all be geometric patterns of various shapes and colors as complex as I can get them. What will make it better, GAF?

9lhjtd.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I drew this for a friend as a "Graduation Postcard" cover. I don't usually draw with pencil because I enjoy drawing with pen instead. Reason I dislike drawing in pencil is because I try and 'perfect' things and I'm constantly erasing. Either way, it's nothing fancy. If you can't tell, I can't draw feet or hands. :lol

GearSecond.jpg

OchreHand

Sweet work all. Good to see this thread is aliiiiive. Here's some I did for this month: experimenting with hot and cold palette

deveraturda_exiled.png

deveraturda_melt.jpg

deveraturda_disaster_at_sea.png

arena08

I dunno if you want to count this as art or not, but heres some 3d work I did for uni. My first project in 3ds max.

24yoitd.jpg

11jqeqv.jpg

28kk0ts.jpg

6yecyq.jpg

2d2975f.jpg

Raging Spaniard said:
Double post, sorry! Just finished this one ( <3 CT)

Frog.jpg

Hey I saw a sketch of this, uncolored, months ago and decided to get a tattoo of it. I'm going within a month or two and was wondering if I could use this as an outline for what I want. I might switch up some colors, but overall this is perfect. Just wanted to ask before using it.

Top Bottom