• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three firstgen Kinects + Oculus Rift = Your mind blown

link

Make sure to watch the whole thing.

This may have the most application in telepresence, but the mere act of being able to live in and pan around your own body in 3d space has massive application in games.

Imagine this with Kinect 2.0. Or better yet, a setup built specifically for this kind of application.

Mik2121

Uhm... your post might be missing something.

Edit: Ah, there it is now. Thanks for the link.

Edit 2: That was pretty damn cool.

43389973.jpg

Edit : actually pretty cool video

TrueGrime

Shit is getting more real year by year. Very interesting. In 10 years time we'll b able to take real life damage from games!

Tsundere

Banned
Neat tech demo, but not practical in any way and not really useful in game since you're using Rift to be "inside the game" so you'll never really be looking at yourself like that.

Sh1ner

Neat tech demo, but not practical in any way and not really useful in game since you're using Rift to be "inside the game" so you'll never really be looking at yourself like that.

It could be practical if it can make your movement to a virtual character that you control which would be for me is absolutely huuuuuge.

clem84

Gold Member
This clearly is the future. Integrating your body in your field of view brings immersion though the roof. Obviously it has a long way to go. To me this almost looks like a first gen holodeck.

Scottiths

Banned
I disagree about not being practicable. This has huge possibly for holding meetings with people far away. Imagine the ceo sitting down at a meeting while also flying to wherever he needs to be.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It reminds me so much of oldschool CD-ROM adventure games like 7th Guest. Or the UK TV show Knightmare.

Slair

Holy fuck, VR is getting more impressive much faster than i thought it would. Just a pity about not being able to feel the interaction your body has with objects. It seems his brain fully accepted that as a real space.

I disagree about not being practicable. This has huge possibly for holding meetings with people far away. Imagine the ceo sitting down at a meeting while also flying to wherever he needs to be.

It's great for awareness of your own body, but the CEO's face would need replacing with a CGI one, and happens to be the hardest part of the body to convincingly recreate in cgi.

WarpathDC

I'm so excited for VR, the stay is the limit for it. I wonder how the human brain will react to long term "artificial" stimulation inherent with an immersive VR experience.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Ahhh this is the guy who did that 3D thing reversing the use of the Wiimote and sensor bar. Love this guy. Really hope someone else works with this idea.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Whoa... that's pretty incredible.

Considering how much more advanced Kinect 2.0 already is over Kinect 1.0 in terms of image and capture quality, there's some real potential here for some amazing stuff. It might suck as a video game peripheral, but Kinect has some really interesting applications in its own right.

eso76

but why scan the actual body instead of using coordinates to render a 3d model ?

I always claimed a kinect + oculus rift thing where your character's arms perfectly mimic your position in real life would blow your mind, but having your body scanned and pasted there is jarring instead.

aeroslash

The worst thing for me about the okulus is exactly what this demo resolves.

In every demo my brain feels like i'm there, except when i look at myself. Then, everything feels irreal. I think this could be huge for the VR world.

but why scan the actual body instead of using coordinates to render a 3d model ?

I always claimed a kinect + oculus rift thing where your character's arms perfectly mimic your position in real life would blow your mind, but having your body scanned and pasted there is jarring instead.

As he mentions, this real body example greatly enhances the sense of presence and has significantly less lag than using Kinect's skeletal model which is basically useless for VR because of its latency.

But yes, this example is kind of useless for interactive applications as in he can wave his hands and move around in this space with acceptable latency but for example, he can't use his hands or legs to topple over a chair. Not sure if even Kinect 2.0 has low enough latency to make a realtime skeletal model move fast enough to feel real.

He actually goes over why in the video. It has to do with the fact that it's much lower latency than using the kinects to render to a skeleton and then be applied to a 3D model. Latency from that takes you out of the experience.

This is a super cool mock up, and when the technology improves, I'd expect this really shine.

(edit) beaten

KPJZKC

Really interesting video & use of the tech, but that title OP? Really? Has GAF turned into Upworthy or Buzzfeed?

YuShtink

Whoa... that's pretty incredible.

Considering how much more advanced Kinect 2.0 already is over Kinect 1.0 in terms of image and capture quality, there's some real potential here for some amazing stuff. It might suck as a video game peripheral, but Kinect has some really interesting applications in its own right.

That's the funny thing about all the motion controller stuff, VR devices like the Oculus Rift (and now Morpheus) make tech like the Kinect, Move, and Wiimote far more impressive and useful than they ever were as stand alone peripherals.

Sciz

Even without Kinect 2, getting a few more cameras in there to cover the blind spots would make this remarkably convincing for the relative simplicity of the equipment.

eso76

He actually goes over why in the video. It has to do with the fact that it's much lower latency than using the kinects to render to a skeleton and then be applied to a 3D model. Latency from that takes you out of the experience.

This is a super cool mock up, and when the technology improves, I'd expect this really shine.

(edit) beaten

ah, yes, just skimmed through the video quickly and with no audio.
Of course latency would kill the effect, but seeing your hands being rendered as master chief's and perfectly re enacting your movements, 1:1 with no lag is really going to blow people's minds...it will be huge when the technology is ready.

shandy706

It could be practical if it can make your movement to a virtual character that you control which would be for me is absolutely huuuuuge.

99% will probably agree with you.

It is Tsundere. A subject that includes Kinect or something far removed but remotely related to Microsoft = likely negative comment.

Obviously if one looks or walks past a mirror and/or down at their body...a realistic representation would be more engaging.

YuShtink

It's still going to be a while before we get convincing haptic feedback for most player situations, but as far as hearing and vision go Oculus CV1 (and possibly Morpheus) + Binaural Audio will have you utterly convinced you are in another place on a subconscious level.

Oculus seems to want to outdo Valve's presence demo for their first consumer version, especially with the resources they have now. And that is kind of insane to think about. People who go into that blind, having never used an old VR device or Rift DK1 or any of the subsequent prototypes from either company, are going to be absolutely blown away. I'm almost jealous of them. I'm dying to get my hands on the DK2, and to think that the consumer version will be that much more improved, all in the next year or so, is unfathomable.

Z3M0G

This is really amazing... add one or two more later gen Kinects and it would likely be near perfect...

Calibration can likely be achieved with a glowing PS Move controller ball in the center of the room, and simply aiming all the cameras at it, and adjusting zoom accordingly.

whitehawk

Banned
This is why Facebook bought oculus. This is perfect for video chat. Now imagine it with a next gen oculus, and 5+ Xbox one kinects.

Top Bottom