• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V set in Hollywood [Update: Rumored Cast Post 330]

Angry Fork

Will be disappointed if it's LA, it looks nice for the first 20 min and then gets boring real quick. Was hoping for a Vice City-type thing. They better include a country side and not just the city by itself.

FrankT

GlamFM said:
CVG has an interesting new rumor.

Piss poor rumors considering Kojima already said he wouldn't be at E3. do your homework first CVG. Par for the course for these guys though. Who knows on the GTA but I would not be surprised if it did show up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
Will be disappointed if it's LA, it looks nice for the first 20 min and then gets boring real quick. Was hoping for a Vice City-type thing. They better include a country side and not just the city by itself.
Vice City was too flat and boring.
Obviously they could do the beachside property vibe in a different local with some depth to the map, but seriously guys Vice City was a flat and boring city.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jtwo said:
Vice City was too flat and boring.
Obviously they could do the beachside property vibe in a different local with some depth to the map, but seriously guys Vice City was a flat and boring city.
I loved vice city. Maybe flat, but the clothes, the music and the neon lights definitely gave it more atmosphere and personality than say GTA4. IMO of course.

I think in the new engine, vice city would has a lot of potential.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still bitter my PS2 corrupted my save file. I've never liked that game much because of that heartbreak.

I went on to complete it with cheatcodes a few years later, but it remains forever tainted in my memory.

Honestly, I'd sell my soul for a giant San Andreas like area again, with tons of country side, San Fran and LA... I'd even be happy to skip the Vegas area because it'd be hard to do it justice. But, alas, probably just going to get a smaller, urban area.

Dabanton said:
We've heard too much bits of info and gossip for it not to be LA based now.

I was struck playing LA Noire that they definitely seemed to borrowed a few layouts from Midnight Club LA. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do the same for a GTA to smooth out development.

Lakitu

st5fu
Count me in the group that doesn't want LA / Hollywood. Yawn. I'd take Miami again or just a fictional city that combines styles of various American cities.

Heppell

Banned
So it didnt get revealed at E3, should we expect to be first shown during Gamescon, since R* are based in Europe and isnt it meant to come out 1st or 2nd Q of 2012?

Just show us something already!

Hey You

Heppell said:
So it didnt get revealed at E3, should we expect to be first shown during Gamescon, since R* are based in Europe and isnt it meant to come out 1st or 2nd Q of 2012?

R*'s HQ are in NYC.

Anyways, Hoepfully we get a reveal soon and 2012 release date. Or they may be dedicating most of R* North's team to Agent :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Heppell said:

R* tend to shy away from shows and do their own thing.

Hollywood could make for a very, very entertaining game. They always mine the culture of the area the game takes place in for material and there's no shortage of fun stuff that could come from hollywood.

bengraven

I would rather it take place in the Black Hills, circa 1880. Everything from the previous game, but with just a few extras and the same Western experience.

Yes, I want RDR2 not GTAV.

I hope they'd wait until the next-gen systems come around to launch GTA V just because I think they could do so much more with the motion scan like tech on a next-gen console. Would also make the use of A-list actors relevant again.

bengraven said:
I would rather it take place in the Black Hills, circa 1880. Everything from the previous game, but with just a few extras and the same Western experience.

I would think R* San Diego is working on the follow up to RDR, whether that be a Red Dead game or some kind of spiritual successor to the series.

Maybe it'll be announced as a launch title for next gen systems.

starting with Wii-U, followed by up ports for the PS4 and 720 launches

legacyzero

Banned
I dont give a damn where it's set. Just give me open, sand box fun like San Andreas and you certainly have my money.

And for FUCK SAKE give me planes!

elongation

Neo Member
Game Analyst said:
GTA V Wii U please. Running at 720p, 60 fps & with MLAA. =]

Not 1080p? Or are we covering all bases here?

Also Hollywood may not be too bad.. If it's not set in modern day.

It's is going to be LA again, which means an entire generation without a GTA in a new city ...

Would have loved to have seen a GTA set in New Orleans pre-Katrina. Maybe even set against the backdrop of the approaching storm and the aftermath. Sort of like Hard Rain in L4D2. Would have made for an awesome finale.

RevDM

Banned
I H8 Memes said:
It's is going to be LA again, which means an entire generation without a GTA in a new city ...

Would have loved to have seen a GTA set in New Orleans pre-Katrina. Maybe even set against the backdrop of the approaching storm and the aftermath. Sort of like Hard Rain in L4D2. Would have made for an awesome finale.

Ya I could see the overwhelming warm reception of making a video game where the main protagonist goes around beating hookers to death and running over civilians right before Katrina happens.

RevDM said:
Ya I could see the overwhelming warm reception of making a video game where the main protagonist goes around beating hookers to death and running over civilians right before Katrina happens.

Ya I could see the overwhelming warm reception of making a video game where the main protagonist goes around beating hookers to death and running over civilians right before the L.A.Riots happen.

Whats the point of releasing another GTA on PS3 or 360? Those systems could barely handle GTA4 at sub 720 resolution....

Even on PC it finally took a 6 core CPU with a modern day card to get the game running at 40
FPS + at 1080p

Zenith

Banned
I H8 Memes said:
Ya I could see the overwhelming warm reception of making a video game where the main protagonist goes around beating hookers to death and running over civilians right before the L.A.Riots happen.

Schooled!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
bengraven said:

Wait in line

TheNatural

My Member!
Too bad they didn't remake the environment of my favorite GTA game: Vice City. I would have liked to see that atmosphere a decade later, but I guess it may be better to wait for next-generation consoles now. Also I read some rumors that GTA V is practically done and about to be revealed in the next few months, should be interesting, I wonder if Game Informer gets the exclusive on it yet again.

Erehael said:
Moscow would be awesome.

I would kill for GTA Moscow, but I fear Rockstar don't step outside US cities, fearing to loose the US mass market. Therefore, belkan accent and russian accents were already put in good use in IV...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Sorry to bump, but I got the latest issue of OXM (Gears 3 cover) and under their crystal ball (rumor) section, it says "Time's up, says The Ball. Expect Grand Theft Auto V to be announced later this summer."

GamesCon reveal if true?

StuBurns

Banned
I'd expect an announcement July/August, if the game's out in February, that'd put it in line with Rockstar's typically intended promotion cycle.

iNvid02

Domino Theory said:
Sorry to bump, but I got the latest issue of OXM (Gears 3 cover) and under their crystal ball (rumor) section, it says "Time's up, says The Ball. Expect Grand Theft Auto V to be announced later this summer."

GamesCon reveal if true?

have they been accurate with other rumors in their crystal ball section?

abundant

Domino Theory said:

GamesCon reveal if true?

If there is a reveal of the new GTA, don't expect to be at a games convention because R* hasn't been to one in a long time.

Digishine

Banned
Rockstar don't need E3 or GamesCon they can just put a countdown on example rockstargames.com/v and 10 mins later everyone knows and it's breaking news all over the kotaku ect..

Top Bottom