• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix and Mitsuda working on Xenogears Orchestral Album - MYTH (23rd Feb 2011)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Time to vote. I'll definitely vote for "Shevat, The Wind is Calling", "Omen", "The One who is Torn Apart", "Bonds of Sea and Fire", and "Faraway Promise".

Oh, awesome!! As much as I love CREID ("Dajil" being particularly awesome), there were some takes on the music that I didn't appreciate as much as the original. This is exciting news!

GhaleonQ

So, this happened before the long-gestating Chrono Cross arranged album?

Also, better news (unless you listened to the gamerip already): Opoona soundtrack release!

duckroll

jett said:
This before Chrono Cross? We even already got an arranged XG album in CREID.

Now, now, no one said this will be out anytime soon. It is merely being announced now. If Chrono Cross is anytime to go by, we'll still be wondering where this is in 2015! :lol

hsukardi

Pissed that the promised Chrono Cross acoustic album is still not out after 5 years.. but PSYCHED FOR AN ORCHESTRAL XENOGEARS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jett said:
This before Chrono Cross? We even already got an arranged XG album in CREID.

There was also an arranged Chrono Trigger album, The Brink of Time. It was some wacky Jazz thing that sounded really wrong with much of the Chrono Trigger music, especially Magus's theme, but at least it's not as bad as Secret of Mana +, the Seiken Densetsu 2 arrange album.

edit: Sorry, I read Trigger, not Cross. We need the Cross album desperately. Hurry up Mitsuda.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Diomedeskun said:
There was also an arranged Chrono Trigger album, The Brink of Time. It was some wacky Jazz thing that sounded really wrong with much of the Chrono Trigger music, especially Magus's theme, but at least it's not as bad as Secret of Mana +, the Seiken Densetsu 2 arrange album.

edit: Sorry, I read Trigger, not Cross. We need the Cross album desperately. Hurry up Mitsuda.

I would have really liked Secret of Mana + (even if it didn't have anything to do with the game), if it weren't for the annoying phone ring sample that kept on playing throughout it.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
It's been 6-7 years since he announced that Chrono Cross guitar rearrangement album. I think he may have gotten a bit complacent.

Hopefully his commitments with SE on this project are binding.

Ganondorfo

Any great rpg soundtracks as good as chrono cross or xenogears (besides the final fantasy ones). I found most of the rpg soundtracks very mediocre. Baten kaitos is in my opinion almost as good as chrono cross in the music department (to bad motoi sakuraba has plenty boring soundtracks (see tales of series)...

Even iwadare is getting boring after grandia 1 and lunar 2.

teiresias

Mitsuda always had pretty masterful use of his samples, and the ones he used were amazing, so I've never really wanted for a specifically orchestrated release of either Chrono Cross or Xenogears. I'd still buy them though!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It wouldn't surprise me if being a small part of the Symphonic Fantasies last year might have invigorated Mitsuda somewhat into delving with this. I will be most interested to know who will be doing the arrangement, but judging by the wording it may seem that Mitsuda himself is going to be the arranger.

I'm slightly hopeful that he incorporates (at least the first half) of The Beginning and the End somewhere on the album. The chorals on that track and the layers of the harmony still gives me goosebumps all the time and having a more expanded section of it somewhere would send me over the moon.

hsukardi

Diomedeskun said:

Brink of Time is a really good acid jazz album.

Hated it when I heard it when I was in my early teens. Listened to it again in my late teens during college and I got it. The whole album is magic.

mango drank

As long as it ends up having The Treasure That Cannot Be Stolen and The One Who is Torn Apart, I'll be happy. Hell, I don't care what's on it. It'll come out great.

YES!
The Symphonic Fantasy album ChronoTrigger/Chrono Cross track will hold me over until Mitsuda decides to arrange Chrono Cross himself, but in the meantime gimme Xenogears!

ITA84

ULTROS! said:
Time to vote. I'll definitely vote for "Shevat, The Wind is Calling", "Omen", "The One who is Torn Apart", "Bonds of Sea and Fire", and "Faraway Promise".
I vote "Flight"!

Xenogears is the only game I've bought the soundtrack CD of.

hsukardi said:
Brink of Time is a really good acid jazz album.

Hated it when I heard it when I was in my early teens. Listened to it again in my late teens during college and I got it. The whole album is magic.

It's been many years for me too (97 or 98 maybe?) and I was probably mostly disappointed at not having an epic Magus theme, so I might have to give it another try. I still hate Secret of Mana +, largely because it is headache inducing from all the phone sounds and is only one track on the CD.

Ganondorfo

DarknessTear said:
Yeah, the Xenogears soundtrack stands out as one of the best RPG soundtracks ever for me. It was full of depressing music though.

I wish Mitsuda still composed stuff of this quality.

I think he is out of creativity... Listen to his recent soundtracks like soma bringer, world of destruction, arc rise fantasia, they are standard rpg music, nothing extraordinary anymore like the days of chrono cross and xenogears.

The same can be said to every composer from the old days working now (uematsu also never matched his final fantasy 8 work, iwadare his grandia 1 work, sakuraba his baten kaitos work).

1GabUp

catapult37 said:
As much as I love CREID ("Dajil" being particularly awesome), there were some takes on the music that I didn't appreciate as much as the original.

Me too! Really happy for this news!

Carlisle

jizz1.gif

B.K.

What I would like:

Shattering Egg of Dreams
Emotions
The Treasure Which Cannot Be Stolen
Lost Broken Shards
The Blue Traveler
Gathering Stars in the Night Sky
Into the Sky
Pray for the People's Joy
Awakening
Small Two of Pieces

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Fucking awesome, day 1, etc. Xenogears has to be my most listened to video game album ever, there aint a dud on it. The soundtrack alone convinced me to buy the game before it came out in America. Creid is already the bomb but fuck me if I won't take more!

Top Bottom