• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Mackie on MCU Crossover with Marvel TV: "It Wouldn't Work"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

ANTHONY MACKIE ON MCU CROSSOVER WITH MARVEL TV: ‘IT WOULDN’T WORK’

As the Marvel Cinematic Universe continues to expand, the differences between the films, the Netflix series and the cable shows continue to grow. According to “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” star Anthony Mackie, who plays Falcon, this is exactly why a crossover would never work.

“Different universes, different worlds, different companies, different designs. [Marvel Studios president] Kevin Feige is very specific about how he wants the Marvel Universe to be seen in the film world. It wouldn’t work. It wouldn’t work at all,” Mackie said at Wizard World Cleveland, as reported by ScreenGeek.

Of course, that doesn’t mean the shows are completely sanitized of any MCU references. Both the Netflix and ABC shows frequently reference MCU characters like Captain America and Thor, as well as the invasion of New York during “The Avengers.” Most notably, “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” was deeply impacted by the revelation that Hydra had infiltrated the organization, as per the events of “Captain America: The Winter Solider.” That event has influenced the direction of the show through the show’s fourth season, which revisits the idea of a world run by Hydra.

Conversely, the MCU’s films never make mention of the events of the television shows. As Mackie points out in his quote, Feige controls the world of the films, where Jeph Loeb runs Marvel TV, a separate entity. While all of these properties take place in the MCU, they are controlled by different studios: the films by Marvel Studios, and the television shows by Marvel TV. As such, the chances of a true crossover between all these properties is slim, if not impossible. Marvel TV occasionally builds franchises around characters who originated in the films — like “S.H.I.E.L.D.’s” Coulson or “Agent Carter’s” Peggy — but you’d be hard-pressed to find the shows impacting the films in a crucial way.

daredevil-and-dawson-leery-have-the-same-cry-face-2-25627-1428951803-5_dblbig.jpg

No Infinity War for you!

iMax

I thought they were separate universes anyway? You never see Avengers tower in any of the Netflix shows.

Volimar

The MCU, Netflix shows, and Agents of SHIELD are all the same universe. No reason at all there can't be some meaningful crossover there.

I thought they were separate universes anyway? You never see Avengers tower in any of the Netflix shows.

That's probably got more to do with cost-savings (Perlmutter). It would be nice but isn't necessary for a few skyline shots every season.

Also I'm not sure why we're treating Anthony Mackie like he knows what he's talking about. He likely has the same opinions as us and won't ever know the full story.

Fades

Banned

No, that's just literally them being too lazy/inattentive to pay attention to where Avengers Tower is located and CGI it into the appropriate scenes. It appears in some official promo art.

antonz

It comes down to Feuding princedoms within the massive Kingdom. There is no reason whatsoever that makes crossovers impossible other than getting the top dogs to get along. I mean obviously for a TV show getting big names to show up is a cost issue but for the movies there is absolutely no reason to lock out half the MCU.

I'm kind of OK with them not crossing over. It's not like in a Luke Cage comic, the plot is somehow connected to or contains an Avengers cameo. Sometimes it's OK for things to act independently. Besides, people (rightfully) point out that the MCU and connected universes in general can sometimes hurt individual movies and shows because everything is just a bridge to another movie and nothing stands out on its own. I'd rather the movies and shows not get overstuffed and become filled with fanservice.

I do get the complaints and desire to see things crossover and have Netflix characters mentioned in the movies, but I think Marvel's doing a good job.

woolley

I don't think anyone is asking for the shows to make a big impact on the films but it's pretty stupid that the movies don't even acknowledge the shows at all. Would it really be so hard to throw in some easter eggs here and there?

Wait.

People really thought the Netflix shows take place in a different universe? Every single one of them have mentioned either the battle of New York directly, or one of the Avengers either directly or indirectly.

I haven't watched Iron Fist yet, but I'm sure it's not breaking that trend.

jmdajr

They mentioned "New York" in dare devil. I am sure there are other references I have heard as well.

Excuses.

Whatevs.

Volimar

Wait.

People really thought the Netflix shows take place in a different universe? Every single one of them have mentioned either the battle of New York directly, or one of the Avengers either directly or indirectly.

Several times Iron Fist mentions it. They call it "The Incident".

To be honest, I'd be for them making them separate to use other characters on the TV side. Say, Hawkeye or Black Widow on Netflix with different actors.

To be honest, I'd be for them making them separate to use other characters on the TV side. Say, Hawkeye or Black Widow on Netflix with different actors.

For sure. Who gives a shit about this interconnectivity

Nows the time to give us a Hawkeye tv show. With absolutely none of the prior marvel netflix talent except for episode directors.

If the movies don't really care to acknowledge the shows why should they hold out on the Hawkeye property that would kill.

ColdPizza

Banned
Wait.

Joy Meachum mentions it in Iron Fist in passing

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If you can make the Sony deal, you can make a deal with yo damn selves.

I mean just Matt Murdock up as a lawyer for a split second would be enough for most people. Not asking for a whole fucking half hour segment with costumes.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

They always drop references to the MCU, and especially Avengers 1 which is referenced to as the "incident".

There was also a character in Jessica Jones who was deeply affected by the events of Avengers 1 and blamed JJ because she has powers.

The TV shows might as well not exists as far as the movies are concerned, though. I don't believe they have ever been referenced to in the films.

I don't give a shit either way but it's pretty stupid of Marvel to put the shows in the same universe for seemingly no reason at all. The shows seem to have some dumb rule that requires all movie references to be vague.

I can see why the movies don't reference the shows though. That's asking too much of the general movie-goer. Disney knows that a large portion of ticket sales come from people that have never watched an episode of any Marvel TV show. It's almost like they won't crossover simply to keep the A-list heroes away from the rest. Maybe they'll change their tune and create a Daredevil movie or something once the Avengers cast becomes too expensive/drop out.

I mean just Matt Murdock up as a lawyer for a split second would be enough for most people. Not asking for a whole fucking half hour segment with costumes.

Right. Nobody's looking for full on crossovers. But if some crazy stuff is happening in New York during either part of the new Avengers movies, it would kind of make sense to have The Defenders in there messing up a few mooks as a nod to the continuity, wouldn't it?

Also, my memory is fuzzy as hell, but
wasn't Sif already in Agents of Shield?

This just seems like a silly thing to say.

Edit:

But Samuel L Jackson, Jaimie Alexander and Colbie Smulders have all been in Agents of Shield?

See? I need to rewatch Agents of Shield, but yeah. This has already happened!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
the only reason there "can't" be any crossover is because they won't do it

they're entirely meant to be the same universe, which is why you got Sam Jackson and Cobie Smulders showing up on Agents of SHIELD.

Also, it's a real shame that Star Wars is better at this than Marvel is.

Aceun

I don't think this has to be a complicated thing at all. The movies can reference the TV shows the same exact way the TV shows reference the movies.

Civil War, for example, seemed like a missed opportunity. Stark pulls up footage of Spider-Man as he's been tracking people with impressive skills. He could have easily said, "it was either the guy who could climb on walls or that bulletproof guy from Harlem"

Khaz

Pretty much. Cameos are stupidly easy to do, have Shield characters in the background or whatever. But the people in charge of the MCU, netflixverse and abcverse don't talk to each other.

Dynomutt

Be honest most of you guys want to see AoS/Daisy on the big screen, don't front! I'd say a few seasons ago AoS had a chance but with its current arc and how the Netflix shows have been I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Yeah, I think they are over complicating things. Shows and movies obviously co-exist and we have seen impact from movies in the shows. The other way around wouldn't work because their events are generally smaller in scale, which makes sense for TV. I would say that Inhumans not being mentioned is a little jarring though.

There should be more of a connection between SHIELD and Thr Netflix shows. Even if it's just some random Agents showing up on Netflix shows.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The accumulated filth of all their films and television series will foam up about their waists and all the fanboys and critics will look up and shout "It's all connected!"

3SZ9Jny.jpg

...and I'll look down and whisper "No."

Aceun

Be honest most of you guys want to see AoS/Daisy on the big screen, don't front! I'd say a few seasons ago AoS had a chance but with its current arc and how the Netflix shows have been I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Hahaha! You're not wrong.

That said, I wouldn't want them to do it this way. You run the risk of screwing up timelines.

Matt Murdock as a lawyer or hell, even Jeri or one of the more secondary characters. Have it be Claire!

Again, nothing complicated.

No mention of Inhumans in the movies, especially when it's in the media and all over the place is weird. Iron Fist spoiler-ish
It's my main problem with the early episodes of Iron Fist where you literally have aliens invading, but people have a hard time believing he was in a different dimension

zeemumu

They mention the events of The Avengers several times in the Netflix shows (mainly Thor and Hulk, but not by name, and the invasion goes by the name of "the incident") and Coulson, Sif, and Nick Fury have all shown up in Agents of Shield.

The connections are there, just not very direct most of the time.

99Luffy

Banned
Not the same studio or writers seems like a pretty good reason not to have any references. I dont know why people dont leave it at that.

So is he implying that it is easier to license a spiderman film than it is to license daredevil(a marvel property)in a MCU film? Comic book movies, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom