• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Evil Within 2 / Psycho Break 2 in production

trejo

I'm ready for more Evil Within. Just give me a more focused story and a smooth engine and we're golden.

Would you guys want Sebastian back as the main character or would you rather play as someone else this time around?

The PC patches released for the game let you turn off black bars and improved performance. I don't remember if you could tweak the FOV.

But the one hit kill bomb traps are dope, lol.

The Evil Within doesn't have an FOV option in the PC port. But it is a very easy thing to alter. I remember doing it with cheat engine with my first playthrough.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Yes God. Hopefully it's more like the earlier sections of the game rather than the later. It was very much like RE4 in the sense that the first introduced area was great and then they became increasingly worse imo. Still the shooting was satisfying although the story was a little out there. It was some cross between RE and MGS in terms of weirdness. I'm just hoping the graphics have been heavily tuned up and didn't take the Shadow of War approach and think bigger is better.

myco666

I want:

Better technical performance (no more shitty engines)
No more goddamn black bars
A way to change my FOV without hacks ffs
Get rid of the annoying one hit kill bomb traps

I don't think the bombs are one hit kills. They do a ton of damage but they shouldn't kill you in one hit.

Love TEW. Only thing I'd change was the performance and to make normal difficulty easier. Bloodborne was a cakewalk to me compared to it.

Normal difficulty was okay. I think they should add hard mode in it though.

Bethesda going hard. Prey, New BGS Ip, Wolfenstein, and Evil Within 2. None of that
is unexpected, but it a could be a damn good 2 year stretch if everything hits.

Personally, I still think Evil Within is my favorite new ip of the generation, top 5 at least. Sequel is Day 1, for sure.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
TEW is the best horror game from this gen alongside RE7. If they improve on the technical issues the first game had this will be an amazing horror experience.

It's a good, solid horror game that fell a bit short of what I would have expected out of Mikami. I hope the sequel is more focused and less linear.

The DLC was horrendous. I hope it's nothing like that.

I played the hard mode you get after beating the game once on normal. It was the pitch-perfect difficulty. I've never experienced more tense combat. It would be nice to have that as an option from the beginning.

I don't think the bombs are one hit kills. They do a ton of damage but they shouldn't kill you in one hit.

I couldn't beat it. And I've beat all the RE games on hard and tons of other third person shooters on hard. It's pretty much the only game I was forced to beat on easy.

I'm ready for more Evil Within. Just give me a more focused story and a smooth engine and we're golden.

Would you guys want Sebastian back as the main character or would you rather play as someone else this time around?

Sebastian has to come back as the protagonist after the reveal of
Myra
at the end of The Consequence DLC. This is unequivocally his story, even if the moment-to-moment events of the game didn't do a great job of conveying that.

I want my goddamn Joseph DLC this time, though.

I hope Bethesda gets rid of their TV actor fetish and hires some voice actors with proper skills. Anson Mount and Jennifer Carpenter were terrible in the lead roles.

I think they both really came into their roles by the DLCs. Carpenter was awesome throughout both the DLCs, and Mount nailed his line delivery in the
KCPD flashbacks
in The Consequence. Now that they both have more practice in the booth, I think they'll be fine.

Besides, Anson Mount was Sebastian's face model. It'd be weird to just axe him like that.

modsbox

This was a great reminder that I need to finally play through The Evil Within. Bought it when it was on sale but was worried that the technical issues would be frustrating. Then boost mode came along and from the DF video it looks to make a huge difference. Can't wait to play this boosted next weekend!

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Psycho Break is the superior title.

Just like Biohazard is the superior title. That always tickled me.

We always knew this IP would get more than a single shot by Bethesda. Anyway, wow. ¥1,400/hour, ¥224,000/month contract work for a few months in Minato-ku... requiring J-to-E and E-to-J translation of highly technical bug reports. Extensive knowledge of video games, the mechanics behind them, and probably UE4 almost certainly very much preferred.

All this majesty can be yours for under $2000 USD/month in the heart of Tokyo. Hope you're living with your parents, have zero expenses, and are somehow under 25 with all the knowledge the job demands.

By the way, there miiiight be some overtime and hey we can't promise you won't have to work on weekends and holidays.

Sorry, I'm really, really jaded, and working in the Japanese game industry is straight-up soul-murdering from Day One.

pbayne

I thought the first game was pretty middling with some good ideas but dragged down by the weight of its other terrible ideas and just some idiotically designed segments.

Hopefully it can improve and carve its own identity next time around.

BadWolf

Sebastian has to come back as the protagonist after the reveal of
Myra
at the end of The Consequence DLC. This is unequivocally his story, even if the moment-to-moment events of the game didn't do a great job of conveying that.

Going by the ending he does make the most sense.

Still, I wouldn't mind Kidman taking the lead.

Jawmuncher

I remember some B-tier horror game where I had to shoot a mutant with an RPG before getting extracted with a helicopter lol, so shit.

I don't consider RE or TEW horror games. At least not as it's only identifier. Since as you said, they go all over the place.

given the dlc ending it's pretty obvious Sebastian is returning as a main character.
That dlc pretty much guaranteed a sequel so i presume they've ben working on a second game for a while now. Fingers crossed it's at e3.

myco666

I couldn't beat it. And I've beat all the RE games on hard and tons of other third person shooters on hard. It's pretty much the only game I was forced to beat on easy.

Well then why would the normal mode need to be easier? You have option for easier difficulty if the normal is too much.

Harder than the one hit kill mode? Save gets deleted when you die? Mikami comes to your home and beats you up if you die?

Harder mode that is unlocked immediately. Akumu is fine as a challenge mode but I would like to be able to start the game on harder difficulty than normal.

Ditto, but they would probably just sell the other scenario as DLC like they did with Kidman in the first game -_-

I'm not too sure. Dishonored 2 pulled off an A/B scenario without a DLC. The thing with the Kidman DLCs is that they were so different from Sebastian's gameplay and setting that they couldn't just have them as a viable main campaign. Plus, it kind of screws up the pacing of Sebastian's story, since so much gets revealed in the first hour of Kidman's campaign alone. That was why the makers of the DLCs screamed at everyone to play the main game first.

I'd love to see another one of these. The game was kind of a slog at the end and performance was shitty but the first half of the game was pretty fucking great. Hopefully it's far along in development.

BadWolf

I'm not too sure. Dishonored 2 pulled off an A/B scenario without a DLC. The thing with the Kidman DLCs is that they were so different from Sebastian's gameplay and setting that they couldn't just have them as a viable main campaign. Plus, it kind of screws up the pacing of Sebastian's story, since so much gets revealed in the first hour of Kidman's campaign alone. That was why the makers of the DLCs screamed at everyone to play the main game first.

There was a bunch of stuff that could easily have been cut out of the main game without much being lost.

Sticking in Kidman chapters in there instead (even if they only appeared at the end) would have made for a much better game (and a lot less story confused players).

Won't buy due to the shit show that was The Evil Within 1 on PS4. It still needs a patch.

Not sure what you're on about, mate. The PS4 version got patched over a year ago.

There was a bunch of stuff that could easily have been cut out of the main game without much being lost.

Sticking in Kidman chapters in there instead (even if they only appeared at the end) would have made for a much better game (and a lot less story confused players).

idk I still think it would've been jarring and screwed up the pacing if it just randomly cut to Kidman all the time.

I'm glad its getting a sequel. Evil Within was better than RE7 and the best horror game Ive played since Dead Space 2.

yaaaaasssssssssss @ all of this.

Jawmuncher

Horror is a broad genre my friend, with many sub categories. Let's not start this 'what is a "true horror" game debate,' huh?

I'll start whatever I want, buddy.
mqdefault.jpg

trejo

Someone refresh my memory regarding the ending of the first game. Is
Joseph confirmed dead at any point or is his mind just stuck inside the thingy
?
I wouldn't mind a chapter or DLC where you get to play as him.

Someone refresh my memory regarding the ending of the first game. Is
Joseph confirmed dead at any point or is his mind just stuck inside the thingy
?
I wouldn't mind a chapter or DLC where you get to play as him.

Joseph
is alive.
You see him
being dragged away by Mobius goons
at the end of The Consequence, and before that,
if you stand next to his terminal in STEM, you can hear his heartbeat
His "alive" status
was also confirmed by the DLCs' writer/director on Twitter.

I also want to play as Joseph at some point in the sequel.

BadWolf

Horror is a broad genre my friend, with many sub categories. Let's not start this 'what is a "true horror" game debate,' huh?

He's not wrong though.

RE has always been more action than the proponents of horror RE make it out to be and I bet TEW ended up with way more action/combat than people expected.

dk I still think it would've been jarring and screwed up the pacing if it just randomly cut to Kidman all the time.

They could have made it the final chapters or the post game. Either way, it was a big mistake to cut out something that story heavy from the main game imo.

Reedirect

Yes, bring it on. The first one is a masterclass in tension and macabre horror, not so much in storytelling, but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

AdaWong

even though kidman was my favorite character, I honestly think you're better off watching it on YT for the awesome story exposition. Unless you 100% love trial and error where it never gets frustrating for you, then go ahead and play them!

Top Bottom