• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

An ex higher up in Capcom talked about Capcom's take on the reception of Resident Evil 6, and their thoughts on Resident Evil 7 back in 2013, and mentioned Capcom thought horror was liable again, but pointed to Walking Dead and Tomb Raider as evidence of this, so take that as you will.

Other small mummerings and things, but nothing big recently.

I feel like Revelations 2 was the result of their Last of Us and Tomb Raider inspiration. I hope that RE7 doesn't take inspiration from any of it and just continues their own path. I enjoyed Revelations 2 for what it was and let's leave it at that. They know how to make tension and horror elements in their game, what their problem is, is how to cater to the REmake type of crowd. From what I've gathered from all the latest titles is that people enjoyed Jill's sections in Revelations, people enjoyed Revelations 2, people like Leon's early (?) part of RE6 and people like Lost in Nightmare RE5 DLC.

I don't want them to remove all the combat, melee and mobility from RE6. RE6 was downgraded in terms of melee from RE5 (where characters in RE6 shared melee moves and the melee options weren't that many) and RE5 had a huge amount of melee options if you met certain requirements. I don't really have a suggestion on how to keep all of this from RE6 while making RE7 still tense etc, because all the melee option does make the game alot of easier even if you have a limited ammount of bullets. Maybe just keep it for the Mercenaries and the extra modes? Or make that stuff unlockable, upgradable?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Motherfucking subbed.

Let's discuss the best Jills:

latest

attachment.php

And let's never discuss mutant Jill from Revelations:

tumblr_m6v80bZPd21roezlpo1_500.jpg

6a00d834516ae369e201a73df0445d970d-pi

Jawmuncher

I personally just want RE7 to be an action game. I haven't been very impressed with their newer takes on trying to please the horror fans. Rev 1&2 are pretty low on my RE ranking.

Seems damned if you do damned if you don't for Capcom go. They go more scary survival horror again for mainline their possibly losing all those sales they had with 5&6. Though if they stick with action they just upset those who want more horror.

However I do feel that overall Capcom is doing a good job balancing things for both tastes. What they do with RE7 really is the biggest question. You can make a RE6 style game that appeals to both.

I personally just want RE7 to be an action game. I haven't been very impressed with their newer takes on trying to please the horror fans. Rev 1&2 are pretty low on my RE ranking.

It's called Resident Evil and began and kept going as a horror series for a long time and only really want away from that a few times-- and even those had horror elements. It can be an action game in gameplay but it's absolutely a horror-centric franchise and needs those elements. If you're going to change it to the point where it's nothing like its namesake just make a new franchise.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Seems damned if you do damned if you don't for Capcom go. They go more scary survival horror again for mainline their possibly losing all those sales they had with 5&6. Though if they stick with action they just upset those who want more horror.

However I do feel that overall Capcom is doing a good job balancing things for both tastes. What they do with RE7 really is the biggest question. You can make a RE6 style game that appeals to both.

Personally I would just continue their three main series that they seem to have going:

Mainline action series (RE4 - RE5 - RE6) for the amazingly over the top Mercs zombie shooting action (and I guess there's also a campaign or whatever)

Mid-tier survival horror series (Rev1 - Rev2) that dampens the action in favor of item management and horror/suspense

Old school remake series (REmaster - RE0master - RE2master) that brings back all the old school RE and then hopefully results in an internal Capcom team that creates brand new old school RE games

That would be my ideal scenario.

Jawmuncher

It's called Resident Evil and began and kept going as a horror series for a long time and only really want away from that a few times-- and even those had horror elements. It can be an action game in gameplay but it's absolutely a horror-centric franchise and needs those elements. If you're going to change it to the point where it's nothing like its namesake just make a new franchise.

I don't really buy make a new franchise argument. Making a new IP takes works. Makes sense to just ride of the coat tails of success. I don't see why a series can't be more than one thing. I think characters and such are more important to an identity than anything else. I don't need to be scared while playing a RE game for it to be RE. Spinoff or mainline.

Personally I would just continue their three main series that they seem to have going:

Mainline action series (RE4 - RE5 - RE6) for the amazingly over the top Mercs zombie shooting action (and I guess there's also a campaign or whatever)

Mid-tier survival horror series (Rev1 - Rev2) that dampens the action in favor of item management and horror/suspense

Old school remake series (REmaster - RE0master - RE2master) that brings back all the old school RE and then hopefully results in an internal Capcom team that creates brand new old school RE games

That would be my ideal scenario.

This is more or less what I agree with. At this point keep the mainline action more or less. That's where all the sales are, so no reason to risk it there. Then with the success of the mainline use that for the other tiers to keep hardcore fans who will play anything more game inbetween and to appease the other wants of the series.

Manu

It's been an action with horror elements-based franchise for longer than it ever was a horror game by now.

It sells much better since changing directions too.

Zambatoh

The franchise as a whole has been pretty action oriented since RE2 at the earliest.
Even amongst other horror games of it's time, Resi has been significantly moreso about the action as it has the adventure side of it's genre.

Haunted

I wonder what approach they're going to take for RE2. I had a lot of fun playing through the reimagined RE2 sequences in Darkside Chronicles.

Mr_Zombie

Let's discuss the Revelations reveal that had a RE5 inspired Jill face and Patricia Ja Lee's voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es0xReoS2nA

RIP in peace!

I've never watched that trailer (teaser?) after playing the game. It looks as if it was made for a completely different game. Aside from the water theme and a half naked Chris lookalike (who ended up being just a mannequin in the final game) sitting on a chair, this trailer has nothing to do with the final game. o_O

I wonder if the script went through some major changes during the development, or did Capcom simply had no idea what Revelations will end up as and just put some random shit there.

I've never watched that trailer (teaser?) after playing the game. It looks as if it was made for a completely different game. Aside from the water theme and a half naked Chris lookalike (who ended up being just a mannequin in the final game) sitting on a chair, this trailer has nothing to do with the final game. o_O

I wonder if the script went through some major changes during the development, or did Capcom simply had no idea what Revelations will end up as and just put some random shit there.

RE6 did basically the same thing by playing up the Leon vs Chris angle in previews, which basically amounted to a few seconds of nothing in-game. I guess they would rather hint at nonexistent conflict than take the time to actually write it.

Mr_Zombie

It was different with RE6, since the very first RE6 trailer already used scenes from the final game; even the Leon vs Chris conflict, while it ended up being just a single scene of misunderstanding, was shown as it occurred in the final game.

The first Revelations trailer shows and tells you something that never made it to the final game.

Jawmuncher

It was different with RE6, since the very first RE6 trailer already used scenes from the final game; even the Leon vs Chris conflict, while it ended up being just a single scene of misunderstanding, was shown as it occurred in the final game.

The first Revelations trailer shows and tells you something that never made it to the final game.

Yeah I forgot all about that trailer. It probably was a rough draft trailer before they switched it around. If newsbot has the info I'm sure it'll be once again another game where the original story plan was 10x better than what we got.

Nudull

Banned
Hi, Nudull. It's the weekend so I thought I should take a break from spying on [CONFIDENTIAL], how are you?

I am well. Was in a horror mood, so started playing RE3. it feels like a safe retread of 2, but Nemesis keeps it interesting (and jumpscare-y as hell).

Personally I would like re7 to be a reboot. Let's face it ever since re:cv story wise it has gone down the tanker. Raccoon city incident was the best RE story telling wise.Part 4,5,6 had laughable story. While I don't like re4,5&6 they should make re7 action based. Ditch all horror and go all out action like part 6 to satisfy tps fans while original re fans can get remake of re2.

So what did you guys think about the Rev 2 Claire design?

I never understood the negative reaction to it. She looks great IMO, especially considering her age and all the things she's been through.

It was annoying for a while when every single Rev 2 thread was just page after page comparing her to Tobey Maguire. Ugh

Grisby

Finished up RE0 HD a few weeks ago and I don't really have any desire to go back for a 2nd go around. Still think it's the weakest RE of the core group (exuding spin-offs like Dead Aim, Outbreak, etc).

Very nice thread OP. I feel your zombie passion.
I'm banking on someone getting some in RE7.
Maybe when Jill and Chris top 50 they'll decide to get busy.
What about 6? Were Leon and Chris made for each other?
You felt it too?
Hell yeah. Ties with Sheva's amazon deal for best alternate costume. Damn shame we couldnt use it in SP mode.
Motherfucking subbed.

Let's discuss the best Jills:
e4AQa.png

Nudull

Banned
Personally I would like re7 to be a reboot. Let's face it ever since re:cv story wise it has gone down the tanker. Raccoon city incident was the best RE story telling wise.Part 4,5,6 had laughable story. While I don't like re4,5&6 they should make re7 action based. Ditch all horror and go all out action like part 6 to satisfy tps fans while original re fans can get remake of re2.

I already feel like REmake already covered what a franchise reboot might be like. Although, a "soft" relaunch with an entirely new cast and a back-to-basics approach would be cool.

Seyavesh

hello
i enjoy most of the resident evils and the current resident evil universe

so i would like to once again say that when you ask for a true reboot you show that don't understand that rebooting into an overused scenario (in terms of exposure across media as a whole) would not change how capcom would design their games, at all
nor would it widen the scope of potential things they could do in regards to any type of functional design for environments or enemies- there is no real advantage of doing so
it is not the world they've built that determines the action focus of the games, it's the market and nothing will change that until RE2make sells more than RE5/6 or whatever

what you should be asking for is a focused, quality game because RE6 was the most unfocused mess i have ever seen- what matter is the scenario if the game sucks shit?

edit:
also to note, survival horror and action horror are both genres- REmake is the king of the former and the latter includes stuff like RE4/5/6, REV2, dead space 1/2 and whatnot
horror is not a genre in it's own right- it's a set dressing and it is extremely important that RE keeps it because it's part of the classic formula of what makes any truly great action flick great- see terminator 1/2s and aliens 1-3, dawn of the dead 2004 and whatever else

Manu

hello
i enjoy most of the resident evils and the current resident evil universe

so i would like to once again say that when you ask for a truereboot you show that don't understand that rebooting into an overused scenario (in terms of exposure across media as a whole) would not change how capcom would design their games, at all
nor would it widen the scope of potential things they could do in regards to any type of functional design for environments or enemies- there is no real advantage of doing so
it is not the world they've built that determines the action focus of the games, it's the market and nothing will change that until RE2make sells more than RE5/6 or whatever

what you should be asking for is a focused, quality game because RE6 was the most unfocused mess i have ever seen- what matter is the scenario if the game sucks shit?

This.

Seyavesh

for something that's probably less rational and more crazytown:

parasite eve 2 is one of the best old school resident evils that isn't REmake.
the pacing, the strong emphasis on body horror, the very unique and desolate environments, the branching story paths, the soundtrack, the mixed rpg/combat system having lots of unique and interesting options that lets you approach encounters in interesting ways, it's like the perfect half step between RE3 and RE4

get at me

Nudull

Banned

the pacing, the strong emphasis on body horror, the very unique and desolate environments, the branching story paths, the soundtrack, the mixed rpg/combat system having lots of unique and interesting options that lets you approach encounters in interesting ways, it's like the perfect half step between RE3 and RE4

get at me

I've played and liked Parasite Eve, but not 2. Heard the latter wasn't as good though, and The 3rd Birthday was even worse. A shame the franchise died the way it did.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

get at me
hqdefault.jpg

desertanmc-e1310586802839.jpg

The creepiest enemy in any survival horror. Also the muffled scream behind the bookshelf. PE2 is definitely scarier.

Manu

hqdefault.jpg

desertanmc-e1310586802839.jpg

The creepiest enemy in any survival horror. Also the muffled scream behind the bookshelf. PE2 is definitely scarier.

Oh yeah. I rememer almost shitting my pants the first time I saw one of those.

Currently replaying though PE2 too, it's aged like fine wine.

Grisby

That Leon vs Chris fight scene was dope though.
A lot better than something like Halo 5's fight between
Chief and Locke.
I've always liked Jill's MvC design. Shit wasn't the same in MvC3.

"I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S!"
So what did you guys think about the Rev 2 Claire design?
I liked it. Initially, I was a bit put off, and the pics that compared her deign to grumpy cat were pretty funny, but I grew to like it.

I think it's important to show these characters age, considering what they've been through. Now, if you're asking me as to whether or not I'm team (Rev2 ending spoilers)
short hair
or team
ponytail
, well...that's a debate for another time.

I don't really buy make a new franchise argument. Making a new IP takes works. Makes sense to just ride of the coat tails of success. I don't see why a series can't be more than one thing.

It's been an action with horror elements-based franchise for longer than it ever was a horror game by now.

Like I said I'm just saying it should have a coat of horror. You don't have to ditch horror to make an action game. There's so many different directions horror can go in. Remove horror from RE and its not RE. And it doesn't have to be scary to be horror. I like the action gameplay a lot. I just want that horror vibe and that doesn't mean jump scares. Just nice, creepy art direction, no lame ass military zombies and stuff like that. You can be an action game in a horror shell. You can also have puzzles. Hell you CAN even have scares. With creativity the sky is the limit.

Revelations 2 is an action game but it didn't have to shed its heritage to do that. I like the action and gameplay but when I buy something called Resident Evil, well, ya know.

Rean

I've always liked Jill's MvC design. Shit wasn't the same in MvC3.

"I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S!"
Yeah, its great. I'm still disappointed that they went with the RE5 Jill in Marvel 3, but there were so many things related to RE5 in there anyway like Chris, Wesker, and Tricell Laboratory that it would make S.T.A.R.S Jill seem out of place.

Systems talk: what's everyone's thought on RE3's dodging vs REMake's defensive items? Personally I'd kinda want to see a classic-style game incorporate something like the Onimusha series' Issen system (just-frame timing results in blocking/dodging/preventing an attack and causes severe damage to an enemy but is pretty tricky to pull off and requires leaving yourself open to that attack, heightening the risk factor), though it might interfere with a resource conservation focus if people could get too skilled at it and just counterattack their way through the whole game.

Top Bottom