• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai and ShiftyLook announce Klonoa: Dream Traveller of Noctis Sol webcomic

Takao

Banned
Namco Bandai Games' ShiftyLook webcomic project announced at its panel at San Diego Comic Con on Saturday that manga creator Hitoshi Ariga (Big O, Mega Man Megamix, Megaman Gigamix) will be illustrating a webcomic adaptation of the classic video game franchise Klonoa. This is the first time ShiftyLook is using a Japanese manga artist for one of its webcomics, and ShiftyLook has provided ANN with exclusive art for the new series (see below).

Klonoa will be written by Jim Zub. It will premiere on the ShiftyLook website in August, and it will be updated on Mondays and Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. ET.

Rob Pereyda, Producer and Editor-in-Chief of ShiftyLook, told ANN, "When we did the survey with ANN when we originally launched ShiftyLook back in March, we were pleasantly surprised to see just how popular Klonoa still is with anime fans. Their insatiable demand for more Klonoa content led us to the decision to develop a brand-new set of adventures in webcomic form. And it helps immensely that Jim Zub is a die-hard Klonoa fan."

Klonoa had ranked at #2 on ANN's poll in February with 18.84% of the votes. ShiftyLook also chose to adapt the Time Crisis video game into a webcomic based on ANN's poll.

Zub provided ANN with the following comment:

The first time I played Klonoa, I was blown away by its intricate balance of 2D gameplay in a beautiful D-rendered world. It really stuck with me as one of the best Playstation 1 Games I ever played. By the time Klonoa 2 was released, just over 10 years ago, I was well and truly hooked. Namco had Taken a great game and made it better in every way - art, Design, game play and story. I've been a big fan ever since. I Feel that Klonoa is right at the top with other great game mascot characters like Mario and Sonic.

Getting the chance to create a brand new adventure story for Klonoa with NAMCO BANDAI on ShiftyLook and being able to collaborate with legendary mangaka Hitoshi Ariga on it is an absolute dream come true. I love the source material and am working hard to ensure that Klonoa: Dream Traveller of Noctis Sol lives up to the legacy of this amazing franchise. I truly hope longtime fans of Klonoa and new readers alike dive in and enjoy.

Viz Media published Ariga's Big O manga, and Udon Entertainment published Ariga's three-volume Mega Man Megamix and the three-volume Megaman Gigamix manga in North America.

ShiftyLook also announced at its panel that it will create and stream two web animation series titled Bravoman: Cartoon of Unequalled Excellence and Mappy: The Beat. Additionally, the company will host webcomic adaptations for the 1980's vertical-scrolling arcade game Dragon Spirit and the 1990 arcade shooter game Golly! Ghost!.

Namco Bandai Games launched the ShiftyLook project earlier this year. The webcomics are available in English worldwide for free through web browsers as well as iOS and Android devices. The website currently publishes webcomics for Valkyrie, Rapid Thunder, Rocket Fox, Bravoman, Wonder Momo, The Five-Dimensional Adventures of Dirk Davies, Rapid Thunder, Alien Confidential, Scar, Xevious, Dig Dug, and Sky Kid.

Anime News Network

WJfSN.jpg
U526F.jpg

e3vhG.jpg
g4xt5.jpg

PMrNk.jpg

The art looks really good!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Obviously, this is also a way to remember the existence of the franchise due to the obvious future 3DS Klonoa game which I would really love, right? Rrrrrrrrrrrriiiiight?!?

:(

Pretty interested in the project, though!

Takao

Banned
Obviously, this is also a way to remember the existence of the franchise due to the obvious future 3DS Klonoa game which I would really love, right? Rrrrrrrrrrrriiiiight?!?

:(

Pretty interested in the project, though!

If you read the full OP you'll find out that the only reason the comic exists is because of the results of an Anime News Network poll, lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If you read the full OP you'll find out that the only reason the comic exists is because of the results of an Anime News Network poll, lol.

Ok, I've read it better, me foolish :(

Takao

Banned
Shiftylook live stream is more professionally done than the livestreams that Scamco did for E3, and Japan Expo lol

BY2K

Membero Americo
Uuuuh, maybe the thread title should mention it's a comic and not a game.

Cause there's gonna be a lot of rage otherwise.

YAAAAY NEW KLO- wait what? : (

New webcomic, I'll take it, but deep down I seethe that this isn't a game. C'mon Namco, you know a new Klonoa would be awesome. I'll even settle for a HD downloadable re-release of Klonoa 2 and re-re-release of Door to Phanomile at this rate

Takao

Banned
ShiftyLook are launching a game section, as well as an animation section. If more than 3 people read the Klonoa comic maybe we'll get a new
flash
game?

Takao

Banned
I'm genuinely surprised Takao didn't open the post with "as a webcomic lol"

If you know what ShiftyLook is than you'd know this is a webcomic. Some of their stuff has been pretty cool so I'm actually excited for this one.

Azure J

On one hand, Hitoshi motherfucking Ariga. On another hand, I don't have enough appreciation for this franchise. On another unrelated and freakish 3rd hand, what does this mean for Megaman Mega/Gigamixes?

Well this was disappointing to say the least, oh I should've remembered that Namco have been doing this comic thing recently for their franchises but nooooo I just had to assume it could possibly be a new game.
Still it's nice to see some sort of Klonoa something at least.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I was actually thinking of that earlier. I bought that. How much did it sell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klonoa:_Door_to_Phantomile#Wii said:
The game was a commercial failure, selling 5,800 copies in its first week, and peaking at #62 in "Games" on Amazon.co.jp's hourly sales ranking.

Ouch! LTD sales can't be all that great, I guess :/

Tagg9

At least Namco is keeping the franchise alive. Might mean there is still hope for another entry in the series.

Gilby

This reminds me, there's a copy of Klonoa (wii) for $10 in a bargain bin nearby I was thinking of getting, what are these games like?

Takao

Banned
This reminds me, there's a copy of Klonoa (wii) for $10 in a bargain bin nearby I was thinking of getting, what are these games like?

Really nice 2.5D platformer. Buy it. It's one of my favourite Wii games. Though I think the free coupon for a Taco at Wahoos has expired.

Top Bottom