• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

arm812

Aeno%20Nesohc_zps3avbjftv.jpg

C.B.

Franken Beasts, Where do you Find Them

Is this traditional work? I do like this one.

cross post

viaherosu6uoi.jpg

chickchickwalksqpkld.jpg

The second one does't feel like it stands up on it's own so well at times. Trying to work on environments. Interestingly enough I don't tend to feel the frustration with them as I do with my usual content, just really mellow as I learn new things.

AYYYEEEEE! I can't get this drawing right! I'm so incapable of drawing off the dome! Errr, I want a full character sheet to go with this near flawless head I drew.

Clash of Food Cultures

Spilled Milk Podcast fanart based on a subscriber only episode where the hosts debate which is better, Japanese food or French food and get a lawyer involved.

I experienced a miracle, woman at a diner asked to get a portrait done and gave me the money and photo upfront. I wonder why it took so long for this to happen.

highrider

Banned
Haven't posted any art in a long time but I'm getting more productive lately.

Edit: fuck photobucket, need a new image hosting site.

You know what I hate when I ask someone a drawing question is when they just answer with keep drawing. That's the laziest stupidest advice I hear. The person isn't learning shit from that. You could continue to do the same thing for a while and never realize it until it's pointed out to you. You learn way more from actual critiques than that bullshit.

olympia

You know what I hate when I ask someone a drawing question is when they just answer with keep drawing. That's the laziest stupidest advice I hear. The person isn't learning shit from that. You could continue to do the same thing for a while and never realize it until it's pointed out to you. You learn way more from actual critiques than that bullshit.

"just be good"

C.B.

I think it completely depends what the person is asking and what it is they plan on doing. 90% of the time the answer is to keep drawing for an array of reasons - one of them being that the artist themselves has to learn how to identify their own mistakes, and this will mostly come through observation of life vs. observing their own work.

The problem with critiquing is most people can't even critique well. A huge portion of people will simply answer with what they personally feel will make a particular piece better. Having someone to critique would take an investment of time from both the artist and the one making the critique to understand the goals of the artist and what they're missing in any particular area of their work; counting all the various "foundations" this could be entire essays passed back and forth between two people.

I mean, even when it comes to anatomical errors - if you're asking another artist they will only be able to explain as far as their own limitations, so you'll be learning their mistakes too. This is why going to the source (life studies) is always the best place to go; there are no mistakes attached.

Other times there are artists who want the results without wanting to put the time in. If the artist isn't willing to take time out to examine why their own work is wrong, why should someone else?

Critique is plenty helpful but you reaaally need to pick who and where you get it from because not all advise is good advice - same with this lol.

miasmashps5m.jpg

Commission work

nehaliikwsvnjj0.jpg

commissioned speed painting

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Agreed but theres also the people that need to be told exactly that, very early beginners especially.

Some people think theres like a magical answer to getting good, I ask hgow often they draw and they say they dont. Its like dude, if youre not even doing it for fun then I cant help ya.

Servbot24

Banned
Here's a new character illustration, this one took some effort to make but I think I learned some things in the process.

Detailed critique is definitely helpful, but really the engine behind everything is to just put your head down and draw. That advice is never wrong, and there is never a time that you don't need to hear it. Draw for as many hours as you can for as many days as you can and do that for a decade at least. At that point you'll be better but you'll still hate yourself because of how much you still suck. But you love the action of drawing so you keep on drawing. Probably the only other advice you need is to not just draw, but draw with a purpose.

I say "you" there but obviously I'm talking about myself, lol. Others may completely disagree

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Here's a new character illustration, this one took some effort to make but I think I learned some things in the process.

EXCELLENT sense of form and volume on the purple cape! Its a shame that the rendering on the chest/head and green mobs came out slightly more flat. Big improvements over your stuff from just a couple of years back, nice work!

Art wise, some people thrive on self loathing while it will stop others from drawing ever again. Its a personal thing.

Servbot24

Banned
EXCELLENT sense of form and volume on the purple cape! Its a shame that the rendering on the chest/head and green mobs came out slightly more flat. Big improvements over your stuff from just a couple of years back, nice work!

Art wise, some people thrive on self loathing while it will stop others from drawing ever again. Its a personal thing.

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated! I wanted to apply some of that so here is a new version, would love to know what you think :)

Raging Spaniard

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated! I wanted to apply some of that so here is a new version, would love to know what you think :)

Great! Its definitely better! I did a super quick PO to explain a few things. Before on top, after at the bottom.

servbot_edits.jpg~original

You are being way too minimalist with your highlights. If you want to express volume properly you need to venture more into the brighter colors (whether you keep saturation high or not, thats your call obv) Character chest where I went with a bright orange is a good example of this

You are keeping a lot of your detail work fully visible. It looks nice by itself but it can make elements feel flat. Pick your master shadow color (I picked a dark purple) and start applying it where necessary. The green slime and the human head are good examples of this

Go a little harsher with your dark blacks in order to separate elements. Where the cape meets the chest piece, the edge of the cape is a dark midtone and so is the chestpiece so they blend together a little more than they should. I added a thin dark separation between the two which helps

Your highlight and dark color choices should vary in hue a bit more. The green guy has a dark green shadow and a bright green highlight. Remember thats not really how the color spectrum works. I went with a dark blue/purple shadow and a yellow highlight. It makes the creature fit in the world a lot better, I think. Thats also why I went with an orange highlight on the red chest piece. You are doing this in the cape already so its a matter of being consistent.

Very nice piece though, hope this helped!

C.B.

cross post from the daily draw thread.

rahavitmanukatea95xsr.jpg

want to do a little series of nouveau advertisements. Gift art for someone.

Being a literal starving artist is frustrating. I spent the past three days at my town's carnival trying to sell off all of my art because I'm giving up my art and I'm unemployed with no money and my mother said I have to start paying for my own food. So the first day I tried to go on the DL and sell some of my stuff. Got nothing, but I found a store nearby who said I could set up a table in front and won't charge me. I came back the next day and set up my table, but no one bit. Plenty of people said my stuff looks good and gave away a bunch of my business cards, but I didn't sell a damn thing.
I didn't eat at all yesterday and had to beg my mother to eat today. It is so fucking hard being an artist. No job and I can't even sell my shit off when I'm this desperate.

C.B.

Being a literal starving artist is frustrating. I spent the past three days at my town's carnival trying to sell off all of my art because I'm giving up my art and I'm unemployed with no money and my mother said I have to start paying for my own food. So the first day I tried to go on the DL and sell some of my stuff. Got nothing, but I found a store nearby who said I could set up a table in front and won't charge me. I came back the next day and set up my table, but no one bit. Plenty of people said my stuff looks good and gave away a bunch of my business cards, but I didn't sell a damn thing.
I didn't eat at all yesterday and had to beg my mother to eat today. It is so fucking hard being an artist. No job and I can't even sell my shit off when I'm this desperate.

I'm not familiar with the kind of work you do; but have you considered going for commissioned work first of all? From my own experience original work takes a while before people are willing to invest because they're into your specific style - but with commissioned work someone who appreciates your style enough may invest if it also contains content/subjects they like too.

Maybe check some local cafes to see if they hang up work from local artists? I've also found that putting effort into several different avenues of revenue helps out too - rather than sticking completely to one thing. As you gain more experience making money from your art you may be able to narrow those avenues if you wish.

jupiter5csl1.jpg

quick sketch from today

I haven't posted for a little bit in here but I have been working on pictures.

I fell into the MerMay pool a bit on Instagram. So I had to draw some mermaids.

I tried to do some coloring like Marte Gracia and other comic colorists with this one. Still a lot to practice and learn with that though. I did find it fun to draw this mashup picture.

I also tried my hand at pure digital painting and not just coloring and shading in the line art I've done. It was fun and something I really want to practice more of.

Hello, art GAF. I am experimenting and learning to paint. Mostly acrylics so far but I have one large oil I am slowly ruining working on. I'm going to take a class this summer but right now I'm just enjoying practicing and trying different things. I've wanted to do this for a long time.

Now I'm going to creep through the whole thread.

Here's my question, art GAF. I can't draw but I can sketch semi decent outlines of things to serve as guides. But should I practice/try to learn to draw better to be a better painter?

LegendX48

Cross post from drawing a day thread:

watercolors and a teeny bit of Prismacolor pencil. Perspective can be unforgiving.

Here's my question, art GAF. I can't draw but I can sketch semi decent outlines of things to serve as guides. But should I practice/try to learn to draw better to be a better painter?

I'd say, yes, absolutely, practice drawing so you can get better. Nothing irks me more than seeing good colors with a bad sketch underneath which brings down the overall picture >.>

Fredrik

Here are some of my Procreate doodles

Step by step booty girl sketching

Final drawing of the girl above, played around with some kind of Instagram feedback ;P Her hand looks all bonkers, hate drawing hands and feet :/

Wonderboy The Dragon's Trap illustration. Loved this game on Switch! :)

Tried a bit of tedious photorealism here. Not worth the time spent doing this tbh :p

Some martial arts dude, I know he has crazy unreal body proportions but that's what makes drawing so fun ;)

Some unreal girly proportions too

Any aquarists here? This is a Vieja Zonata, one of the prettiest fresh water fishes you can have :)

Final drawing, a try at photo realism again, still not worth the effort imo :/

Somewhere Beyond the Sea Character Designs

A foodie must dive into the inky depths to save her brother from certain digestion from the Technicolor Albino Kraken. Food shortages, aquatic zombies, and talks of perfect meals abound.

Believe it or not, this upcoming comic project was not inspired by Life Aquatic (I’ve only seen the first twenty minutes).

Top Bottom