• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls delisted, becoming Skullgirls Encore (see post #288 for latest updates)

Silky

Banned
http://www.twitch.tv/eightysixed/b/485538859?t=8m

Basically it's being delisted because Konami sent the request to delist from Sony without telling LZ, even though Konami makes money from every copy sold. They have to send the QA before the 17th to prevent it from disappearing. If they don't make it in time, it's going poof until January. There have been multiple requests to delay the request until the 31, and neither Sony or Konami would allow it.

EDIT: From Skullheart

http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/konami-console-updates-you-will-want-to-read.1156/

Following Lab Zero ceasing relations with Konami, Konami has asked for Skullgirls to be delisted from PSN and XBLA on the 17th and 31st of this month, respectively. Mike is working really hard to get a build through QA to be published by Autumn(360)/MAQL(PS3-world)/CyberFront(PS3-Japan), but details are sketchy. One of the reasons a new build is necessary is that if SG keeps using the same Communications ID for the game, Konami would be able to shut the game down whenever it wants.

Lab Zero only found out about this through a Sony account manager after the request had been approved, so the decision is probably final. They have requested the date for the PSN takedown be moved until the end of the month, but after climing that Sony and then Autumn wouldn't let them, all three asked for the date to be moved and Konami has not responded since then.

Note: Sony has said that people won't have to re-buy the game through the store, but because this has not happened before nobody knows exactly how the transition will work.

Note that, if you purchase the game before it is de-listed, you are still able to access the game freely through your PSN/XBL account download history.
Yes, the game will be relisted, this isn't permanent.

EDIT: What /you/ can do to help support LZ, also from Skullheart.;

What you can do -
  1. Please, don't talk shit about Konami online. It isn't going to change anything, makes us look bad, and makes them think that they've made the right decision. Nothing good will be achieved by ripping into the powerless intern managing Konami's twitter account, etc.
  2. Test out the latest Beta build if you have it. Mike has very little time to test the build before submitting for QA (Monday) if we want to prevent the game from disappearing after getting pulled. If you know how, using the -log option to run the game may be useful.
    Update: The best way to let Mike know about any issues with the Beta is to comment on the Patch Notes update on Steam, or else send a PM @Mike_Z on here.
  3. Keep playing, and keep having fun. This isn't the end of the world.
  4. If you want to buy a copy of the game to help support Lab Zero, buy the Steam version. The PS3 and 360 versions won't result in any extra money for L0 at this point, and Konami gets a cut from those.

EDIT; from Ravidrath

To clarify...

This was going to happen at some point, because the business relationship with Konami was dissolved to allow patches to move ahead.

The parts that are shady are:

- Filing the request without conferring with Autumn or Lab Zero to see if we could even transition in time

- Lying to Sony and to Autumn, saying the other said moving it back was impossible​

Their reason for doing this is because the lawsuit with Konami over DefJam Rapstar is over, and they're trying to stop dealing with Autumn forever as soon as possible. There's a lot of bad blood there.

That said, we are pretty forcefully requesting that the delisting be pushed back to 12/31 to buy us time, and I think we're going to get that.

We're going as fast as we can, but there's a lot that needs to happen:

- Get a new Communications ID for online service, which takes a few days since it must be issued from Japan

- Before we can do that we need to get an IP whitelisting issue sorted out with Autumn

- Set up the leaderboards and trophies again, since this will effectively be a "new game" as far as PSN is concerned

- Get everyone's existing purchases to carry over to the "new" version

- Get Autumn a publishing agreement for SCEE and other territories

- Get the latest build submitted and tested once we have the Communications ID and leaderboards, etc. set up​

If everything goes perfectly we MIGHT be able to avoid any downtime, but there is so much to do and so much of it is reliant on learning this stuff and waiting for IDs, etc. that I don't think we're going to be able to avoid any downtime in the US. Downtime in other territories will be all-but-impossible to avoid, just because we have to set up new publishing arrangements with those territories.

Yes, this sucks, but we're used to this kind of thing at this point. We shouldn't have to be, but we are. So we'll roll with it and once this incident has passed, there should be significantly less drama moving forward.

Also, just wanted to give a shout out to Shane, Roberto, Jonathan and everyone else at Sony that has helped us on this so far. We would be completely lost without them, and they've been a huge help in helping us navigate this minor crisis. Once this is resolved, we're definitely sending them tasty gifts of some kind.

It's worth saying that everyone should watch the whole video to get an idea of the situation. Konami is acting scummy.

rrs

Konami is pulling the game off both platforms December 17th. Steam version was self-published? see below so it's safe.

J-Tier

Basically, Konami had been going behind LabZero's back and trying to get it delisted without LabZero's knowledge.

Whenever MikeZ asked Konami about the patch issue, they wouldn't respond, and MikeZ asked for an extension to get things settled. Konami said it was impossible because Sony told them so. When MikeZ went to go ask Sony for clarification, Sony said that Konami was the one that told them MikeZ was the one who didn't want to contact them. Dirty dealings man.

Grief.exe

Basically, Konami had been going behind LabZero's back and trying to get it delisted without LabZero's knowledge.

Whenever MikeZ asked Konami about the patch issue, they wouldn't respond, and MikeZ asked for an extension to get things settled. Konami said it was impossible because Sony told them so. When MikeZ went to go ask Sony for clarification, Sony said that Konami was the one that told them MikeZ was the one who didn't want to contact them. Dirty dealings man.

That is insane.

Mr. X

Versions published by Konami are to be delisted.

PSN US
PSN EU
XBL

PSN JP is Cyberfront
Stream is Marvelous AQL

They are safe.

Best case scenario, XBL and PSN passes QA before break and will be playing the Squigly update sooner than expected.

Silky

Banned
Silky, im sorry for ever questioning your anger towards Konami, this is fucked.

P5xKnmG.png

fuck konami

Fuck Konami, that's some bullshit right there, the Skullgirls devs have been through enough already.

Even if I hate Ravidrath.
#TeamAnnie

duckroll

Completely disgraceful on Konami's part. They're basically actively going out of their way to try and screw an indie developer whose game has been making them money. What's the point? Maybe they should put their efforts into being a better publisher in general instead of being a petty and bitter has-been business whose only relevance these days is MGS and a football game which has been outpaced by Fifa.

Completely disgraceful on Konami's part. They're basically actively going out of their way to try and screw an indie developer whose game has been making them money. What's the point? Maybe they should put their efforts into being a better publisher in general instead of being a petty and bitter has-been business whose only relevance these days is MGS and a football game which has been outpaced by Fifa.

pretty much this, they are salty when it's their fucking fault to being with.

Ridley327

Clearly, this is their play into paying peanuts for a MGS fighting game.

Silky

Banned
I'm extremely disappointed in how this was handled on Konami's part, and it's a damn shame that a talented team like Lab Zero is being held back by them. I really hope this issue is being sorted out.

Goddamn shame.

xk0sm0sx

Sorry, is there a reason why Konami is being such a bastard? Haven't been following the situation at all.

Dremark

Banned
It's amazing how Konami could go from being my favorite publisher to my most hated in a single generation.

If it wasn't for Metal Gear (Their only franchise they haven't totally abandoned or ruined) I would stop buying games from them entirely.

J-Tier

I vented a bit on Konami's twitter lol. Not that it's going to help much. I'm so pissed off. I've been supporting LZ the whole way, with purchasing their game, and supporting their Kickstarter. Konami decides to shit all over it for some pretty dumb reasons and has really shifted my view of the company.

Chavelo

Hmmm, at first I was ready to cry "fuck konami" but... I dunno why exactly a publisher would go on ahead and try to cut down on free sales revenue by just pulling out of marketplaces for a game they don't care about.

I'm kinda curious now on how/why the fallout happened between Lab Zero and Konami.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Damn looks like I really should've double-dipped on Skullgirls on steam. Especially since the both online console communitys are dead as fuck.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of limit or rules around slots used on Xbox Live, and that Konami wanted to remove a game they're no longer really publishing so they can free up that slot for future use again.

joe2187

Banned
I'm serious now more than ever when I say Skullgirls is cursed.

But it's no biggie, everytime they get struck down they wakeup ten times stronger.

Silky

Banned
Hmmm, at first I was ready to cry "fuck konami" but... I dunno why exactly a publisher would go on ahead and try to cut down on free sales revenue by just pulling out of marketplaces for a game they don't care about.

I'm kinda curious now on how/why the fallout happened between Lab Zero and Konami.

Most likely LZ/Reverge being caught in the crossfire of a lawsuit with Konami/Autumn a lonnnng ass time ago

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/24/konami-and-autumn-games-sued-for-fraud-over-15-million-def-jam/

Large lawsuits, obviously lead to layoffs.

http://www.xblafans.com/reverge-labs-confirms-lay-offs-of-some-of-the-skullgirls-team-59346.html

Konami's incompetence lead to LZ's misfortune.

Trouble

Banned
This is all very confusing. Is there a good write-up of what has happened up to now?

Seems very odd for a publisher to be so apparently hostile towards a developer they publish for.

Edit: Thanks Silky

Chavelo

Most likely LZ/Reverge being caught in the crossfire of a lawsuit with Konami/Autumn a lonnnng ass time ago

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/24/konami-and-autumn-games-sued-for-fraud-over-15-million-def-jam/

Large lawsuits, obviously lead to layoffs.

http://www.xblafans.com/reverge-labs-confirms-lay-offs-of-some-of-the-skullgirls-team-59346.html

Konami's incompetence lead to LZ's misfortune.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that. Seems like Lab Zero was at no fault at all in that situation. But this event just smells of some bad beef between the two companies now.

Cmagus

Man these guys just keep getting screwed over so hard. Its a shame they're so damn talented and some of my favourite artists are on the team. Konami should sort this shit out or guess what MGSV just disappeared from my games list.

Top Bottom