• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (New Album 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yodandy

2i8vzfd.jpg

Should be out in May.

Rolling Stone First Listen: http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...tic-political-punk-on-21st-century-breakdown/

MTV First Listen: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1604950/20090212/green_day.jhtml

Billboard First Listen: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/green-day-roars-back-with-breakdown-1003941697.story

And now, a Demo has leaked, so first listen for you! (mods please remove if demo's arent acceptable, I wasnt sure)

http://www.mediafire.com/?hqziahrqn4m - Thanks wenis for the re-up.

Some say its a return to its roots, some say its more American Idiot nonsense. Green Day's Dookie was literally the first CD I ever bought, I grew up with them, and while I didnt fall in love with American Idiot, I'd be lying if I said I wasnt excited to see what was next.

What do you guys think?

I'm not a big Green Day fan at all but I loved American Idiot... it was on my playlist regularly for the last year and a half.

If its another concept album, should be interesting.

It'll also be interesting to see:

1) How the media responds to Green Day now that they are closing in on their 40s... U2 has had a huge uphill battle on the radio and MTV to get attention because they are automatically written off at the beginning of each album cycle due to their age.

2) How the reaction to 21st Century Breakdown compares to U2's No Line On The Horizon... the top media publications have given U2 5 stars for their album, but it seems to be pretty divisive to the masses due to it's complexity. Will either sell well in the face of the album becoming more and more irrelevant?

You know that both bands will be up for Rock Album of the Year at the very least if not Album of the year as well.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I hope they're not entering the Kinks' post-Lola phase of pretentious concept albums of shitty quality.

Then again, I called American Idiot their version of Arthur, so by that metric they have two good albums left.

Uhh WTF was wrong with American Idiot. It sounded just like classic Green Day to me, only a bit evolved and new. What's wrong with that?

EDIT: Hmm, that song was ok, kinda catchy.

Tamanon

Banned
Nothing was wrong with American Idiot. It was an amazing album.

Demo sounds almost Warning-ish. I like it. Can't wait for this, they're too old for going back to their roots.

yodandy

VindicatorZ said:
Uhh WTF was wrong with American Idiot. It sounded just like classic Green Day to me, only a bit evolved and new. What's wrong with that?

I liked American Idiot, I thought it sounded nothing like the older stuff, but I'm not one that wants the same CD over and over again, I wasnt in love with it, some of it was rather silly and overdone (Homecoming, Jesus of Suburbia, 9 minute long songs). But it wasnt well receive all around from reviews. It sure was well reviewed in sales though :lol .

And I agree, this demo indicates more AI type songs (2 minute intro + 2 minute song + breakdown + 1 minute song + slow outtro). Which I'm ok with one or two of these types of anthem's on the album, I'm just excited to see where they take the other songs.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Tamanon said:
Nothing was wrong with American Idiot. It was an amazing album.

Demo sounds almost Warning-ish. I like it. Can't wait for this, they're too old for going back to their roots.

Ugh, I hope it doesn't sound anything like Warning. Definitely their weakest album.

I'd be okay with another American Idiot, though.

TheQueen'sOwn said:
I find the demo rather boring.
I think its alright. I'll have to listen to the album though because I thought American Idiot sucked (based on the first single) until I listened to the damn thing.

ahoyhoy said:
Ugh, I hope it doesn't sound anything like Warning. Definitely their weakest album.

I'd be okay with another American Idiot, though.

Every time I hear somebody hate on Warning: I like to remind them that without the band's experimentation on that album, American Idiot wouldn't be as awesome as it turned out to be. Warning: certainly isn't the band's best album but it may be he most important to their growth.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
btkadams said:
took them long enough holy shit. they havent released an album since blink broke up lol.
now they are both back...its 1999 all over again.

maybe they'll do another pop disaster tour!

btkadams

wenis said:
now they are both back...its 1999 all over again.

maybe they'll do another pop disaster tour!
maybe... but i remember reading an article where the guys from green day were a bunch of cocky assholes on that tour. towards blink.

btkadams said:
took them long enough holy shit. they havent released an album since blink broke up lol.

They did that Foxboro Hot Tubs Thing.

But in general I think thats for the better that Green Day took their time. Seems like bands that try to do album releases every 12-24 months get burned out really quickly these days. People need to remember that the bands that went to the top like Nirvana and the Beatles only lasted for a short amount of years before they burned out/killed themselves

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
btkadams said:
maybe... but i remember reading an article where the guys from green day were a bunch of cocky assholes on that tour. towards blink.

true. Although they did a pretty good job of editing together the Riding in Vans with Boys dvd. Made everyone besides the guys of Kut U Up look like they were all smiles and love.

ZeoVGM

Banned
blink-182 is back. Mark from blink producing the new Sum 41 album. The new New Found Glory album just came out (also Mark-produced) and it's great. And Green Day in May?

2009 = the return of pop punk.

At work, so I can't hear the demo, but I'm very excited. American Idiot was my favorite album of 2004, one of the best rock albums this decade.

Some people hate on it, usually saying "old Green Day was better blah blah". That's fine. Just go listen to Dookie over and over. I'll enjoy listening to the band mature and grow.

(Warning is their weakest, by the way.)

Tamanon

Banned
Karakand said:
Funny you should say that as an advocate of "maturity" and "growth".

Yeah, that's what I'm not getting. Warning was the start of their experimentation. Personally, I love the album, but I can see how others might not.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Karakand said:
Funny you should say that as an advocate of "maturity" and "growth".

I agree, but when the actual songs are boring and all blend together, the growth doesn't really matter.

Couple good songs on it though. "Macy's Day Parade" is so good.

Tucah

you speak so well
I like the demo, really looking forward to the album.

I also thought American Idiot was great, for the record.

cakeman19

Banned
The new song is pretty much how all Green Day songs are for me. Some parts I absolutely love and some parts are boring. Eh, album could be good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
American Idiot was, for what it was, a really great album. I'm looking forward to this.

as a fan since Kerplunk came out, I gotta say I really enjoy this demo.

it does sound a lot like American Idiot though (which was my favorite album of 2004)

Pewp

Finally! I was going to make this thread a week ago.

I've been a huge Green Day fan since I was 8 so my bias tells me to love this song. And I do! Can't wait for it to be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom