• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Volotaire

Hi there. I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask since it's not homebrew or emulation related, but it seems relevant. I've been researching emulation in the past few days and exploring the benefits of cycle accuracy vs. non cycle accuracy a bit more. Whilst doing research, I was tempted to look into the 60Hz vs 50Hz debate and which consoles and games it plagued. To my surprise, I found that some Gamecube games and prominent Wii games ran only at 50Hz! Two specific games that I own, Little King's Story and Madworld, do this.

I was wondering if there was a workaround on this issue if I ever wanted to crack open these titles?

Thanks.

MrMan2k3

Does anybody have a suggestion on a new inexpensive currently-purchasable hard drive to use with my Wii? I've been using a 120GB USB 2.0 drive for a while, but it's now full and I can't fit my recently-purchased Wii and GameCube games on the drive.

I'd like something larger, at least 250GB. Most of what I see for sale now is USB 3.0. Does USB 3.0 have issues on Wii? Will I need a Y-cable like on Wii U?

Does anybody have a suggestion on a new inexpensive currently-purchasable hard drive to use with my Wii? I've been using a 120GB USB 2.0 drive for a while, but it's now full and I can't fit my recently-purchased Wii and GameCube games on the drive.

I'd like something larger, at least 250GB. Most of what I see for sale now is USB 3.0. Does USB 3.0 have issues on Wii? Will I need a Y-cable like on Wii U?

I have a ~1TB USB 3.0 drive on my Wii and it works well. No Y cable necessary.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Any custom builds of Retroarch that support the WiiU Pro Controller and/or the USB GC controller adapter? I really don't feel like buying a bunch of Wii Classic Controllers for multiplayer...

tuco11

Have Retroarch installed on my soft modded Wii. I know the Wii has a USB port in the back. Is it possible to use an IBuffalo USB SNES pad with Retroarch Wii? Would rather play SNES & NES games with that instead of the Wii Classic controller.

thanks!

A new Wii GBA emulator has come out of left field and it blows all other Wii GBA emus away in performance (bar a really tiny selection of 3d GBA games like Motoracer Advance, Asterix XXL, etc, look @ WiiMednafen for those). It's mGBA Wii and you can download it here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgba/mGBA-nightly-latest-wii.7z

Now Golden Sun 2, Legend of Spyro Eternal Night, Metroid Zero Mission, Megaman ZX, Mother 3, Max Payne Advance, FF IV GBA etc. perform at almost 100% all the time.

Also, a fanmade SoR game (outside the BoR port) was ported to Wii/Wii U:
Street Of Rage Paintown
https://youtu.be/OQyQK-5F9-U
sor.png
sor2.png

http://uptobox.com/ajam7y6mv2k5

Finally, Retroarch has been ported to 3DS, more info here:
http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3950&page=2&

Can anyone recommend a good PS1 emulator for Wii? I tried Retroarch but there doesn't seem to be a Ps1 core. I want to play the Policenauts translation but I don't have a PSP.

Can anyone recommend a good PS1 emulator for Wii? I tried Retroarch but there doesn't seem to be a Ps1 core. I want to play the Policenauts translation but I don't have a PSP.

WiiSX is the only vaguely worthwhile option that I'm aware of, and compatibility and performance is still extremely hit or miss, so I'm not sure offhand how Policenauts fares. I've read that some people have coerced the Wii Retroarch into running the Mednafen PS1 Retroarch core, but that it runs extremely slowly. Good luck!

WiiSX mod is your best bet atm.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiSX_compatibility_list_(beta_2)

From the compatibility list:
Policenauts (Patched to English) NTSC-J SLPS-00215
SLPS-00216 Works Settings: Dynarec, Limit FPS: Auto, Frame Skip: Off, Dithering: Default.
Result: Minor graphic glitches sometimes when english patched text is onscreen. Other than that, runs very well. CD Swapping or Memory Card Save to CD2 confirmed to work???

Btw, like Not64, WiiSX supports IR so you can enable that in the lightgun sections as well.
There's also some activity in an emulator called WiiSXR but i have not tried that.
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=33224#p33224

As for Wii news, mGBA Wii has reached a point where it plays ALL GBA games @100% ALL the time. That means Golden Sun 2 with any spell, Mother 3 in battle, Motoracer Advance, Duke 3D, etc etc.. Same link as posted above for latest version.

cacildo

I was looking for a ps1 emulator and landed right at wiiSxR

Its new version of wiisx, but developed by another guy - at least thats how i understood it

Policenauts does work, with glitches. i only tried to investigate the first screen, but it really worked

I tried alundra and it runs fine, which leads me to believe that 2d games may all be running Ok

Tried persona 2. Runs fine too.

Im playing King's Field and not only it does work but also im LOVING this game. Im playing it entirely on wii and i think im almost at the end!

What else? Vigilante 8 dosent work. Star wars crappy games- jedi power battles and phatom menace- dosent work. Bushido blade 1 does work

I was looking for a ps1 emulator and landed right at wiiSxR

Its new version of wiisx, but developed by another guy - at least thats how i understood it

Policenauts does work, with glitches. i only tried to investigate the first screen, but it really worked

I tried alundra and it runs fine, which leads me to believe that 2d games may all be running Ok

Tried persona 2. Runs fine too.

Im playing King's Field and not only it does work but also im LOVING this game. Im playing it entirely on wii and i think im almost at the end!

What else? Vigilante 8 dosent work. Star wars crappy games- jedi power battles and phatom menace- dosent work. Bushido blade 1 does work

Cool, do you have a link to the download?

Phoenixus

So, what's the difference between wii64 and Not64? Is the latter a plug-in of sorts for the former? And if so, how would I go about that? Sorry, total beginner at Homebrew setups.

Blues1990

I want to use homebrew to play SNES & N64 games that are otherwise not available on the Wii Virtual Console or Wii U eShop (Goof Troop, Blast Corps, Tetris Attack, etc.), but I don't know where to start. Any tips?

So, what's the difference between wii64 and Not64? Is the latter a plug-in of sorts for the former? And if so, how would I go about that? Sorry, total beginner at Homebrew setups.
No plugins to worry about. Not64 is a fork of original Wii64 with improvements to speed, compatibility and .zip support. So Not 64 is absolutely the way to go
http://files.extremscorner.org/wii/apps/mupen64/latest

I want to use homebrew to play SNES & N64 games that are otherwise not available on the Wii Virtual Console or Wii U eShop (Goof Troop, Blast Corps, Tetris Attack, etc.), but I don't know where to start. Any tips?
Get Not64 from the link above and SNES9X GX from here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/snes9xgx-mod-preview-wiiupro-screenshot-button.389448/

If you mean where to start in general (as in, how to make your Wii or Wii U homebrew enabled) check the op of this topic or GBAtemp's tutorials.

Fezan

So I think My wii disc drive is dying. So I soft mod it using letter bomb. Now Can some one tell me best programs to copy my disc drives to usb drive and then read from it ?

Datschge

So I think My wii disc drive is dying. So I soft mod it using letter bomb. Now Can some one tell me best programs to copy my disc drives to usb drive and then read from it ?
Any usb load should be perfectly capable of that. The gaf hb wiki contains a description of Configurable USB Loader.

Are you able to get GameCube Roms to play?
My Rogue Squadron 2 disc is fucked

Of course. Best way to do that is via Nintendont.
https://code.google.com/p/nintendon-t/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

As said above, any loader will do that for you. CFG loader has been linked already, so here's a link for USB loader GX
http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/

and for Wiiflow
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-an-open-source-gui-usb-loader.204106/

an interesting 3DS demo:
1.png

http://www.nintendomax.com/viewtopic.php?t=15931&f=132&sid=04d783f17bf684c3e971da16e606531e

Citation:

Hello GBATemp Community!

Today I'd like to show you a Tech Demo for Metroid 2.
This is being released in .3dsx format and has been tested on a New Nintendo 3DS on System Version 10.3.

I've added a poll as well, and I'd like you to vote if this should be continued! After all, working on this for a full release is not really worth it if nobody would play it!

Also, please keep in mind that this is a Tech Demo! There are bound to be bugs, and you might find some graphics to look kind of cheap. This should show, however, how a 3DS Metroid Game could look like!

Project uses sf2d and sfil (obviously), created by xerpi!

Original 3DS Users:

I don't have a Original 3DS to test performance, so please tell me how the Game runs on your Devices! I'd greatly appreciate it!

Controls:
Control Pad: Change Movement / Crouch / Morph Ball
Directional Pad: Change Beams
L Button: Aim (Change Direction with the Control Pad) (B for Beam Fire, R for Missle Fire)
R Button: Shoot Missle
B Button: Shoot Beam
A Button: Jump
Start Button: Pause Game
Select Button: Press to Quit while the Game is Paused
Touch Screen: Scroll Map

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
After 3.5 years I'm finally going to do it: Wii to Wii U transfer.

Of course I'm going to use a BootMii NAND backup to restore everything back onto my Wii once its been transferred.

I've been told that after you restore the Wii, going into the Wii Shop Channel will delete all your games. So how do we deal with that? Just delete/hide the channel?

Bonus question: If I use the Wii U vWii Shop Channel to buy games, can I just load them onto my card, plop them on my Wii, and play them without a hack, as if I had bought it on the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii before I transferred?

Adryuu

Hey GAF!

A relative is thinking about selling his Wii and I'm thinking about buying it from him, mostly for two things:
- buy and play Skyward Sword and a pair other Wii games, and then...
- plug it on my old CRT, now that I moved and have space to do that, and turn it into an emulation station via Retroarch

The questions are as follow:
- can I use homebrew/retroarch in any Wii hardware revision w/current firmware?
- Wouldn't a WiiU be a better idea? I'd like to play HD Zeldas too, but I'm hoping for a retrocompatible NX or a really nice price drop on that down the line. Also, is WiiU also able to connect to a CRT via Scart/RCA?
- What gamepads can I use with Retroarch? It'd have a motionplus but other things I'd have to buy, so I'd love it if I could just use my DS3s/DS4s. Not my x360 pad because it sucks for retro gaming. If there's no option, is Wii Pro controller usable on Windows?
- What's the performance of 8bit and 16bit emation? Real good like 60fps with no sound issues?
- If I had to not use my CRT or it died, how is the quality and performance of emulating those things in 480p (hooked to HDTV) with some decent shaders (like, nice scanlines or CRT shaders or at least LCD shaders or something that makes it look real retro*)?

*I dislike sharpening and rounding shaders, like supereagle etc. I really prefer if there was some scanlines shader with bleed or anything that made it look realistic, if I had to use my HDTV that is.

Bonus question: how is the performance on arcades and some 32 bit emulation (GBA, Sega CD - with and without shaders)?

Thanks a lot for reading, even more for answering!

I only have a Wii hooked onto a 28'' CRT and not a Wii U or HDTV so i'll speak for that only.

Performance of 8-16 bit is perfect and you can play in 240p, no need for shaders or filters. Arcade is a mixed bag. CPS1, CPS2 and Neo Geo (roms smaller than 23MB that is) are perfect. FBA has a compatibility of about 70%. Good thing is that there were many official VC Neo geo and VC arcade releases to complement the homebrew emulators.
GB & GBC are best played on a special version of GBAGX cause it supports tilt, Super Gameboy borders and other features. GBA is best played on mGBA Wii, nearly full speed on most games.
PSX compatibility is maybe 50-60%, most games that work play fine though. N64 emulation is also around that level but you can force 240p and also there were official VC N64 releases to complement this.

You can use Wii U Pro controller, Wii Classic controller (Pro), DS3, (DS4 as well in some standalone mods i've seen in gbatemp), GC controller, Wiimote and/or nunchuck.
I even use an old GC wheel i had for Outrun, works great.

xero273

hi,

I finally have homebrew setup for vwii. Now the problem is when I boot games from configurable usb loader everything has black bars. I read online the problem has to do with how the wii u handles channels now for vwii. Which is the best fix I should use to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Adryuu

There's an option for video filters but I don't know what it does. If you're meaning shaders then no, retroarch for Wii does not support shaders. If you just want scanlines you can though, just applying some overlay. There's three for scanlines and some for GB like green screen effect, but I only find useful one of the scanlines, the others are ugly or too big. And anyway it only adds black horizontal lines, no bleeding effect or anything, retroarch pc shaders are much nicer.

For 8bit/16bit emulation on Wii, the really best option is to select 240p rendering and play on a CRT, that looks real sweet. If you can't do that, the scanlines option may serve you well (and at least you can adjust the transparency and scale of the overlay).

hi,

I finally have homebrew setup for vwii. Now the problem is when I boot games from configurable usb loader everything has black bars. I read online the problem has to do with how the wii u handles channels now for vwii. Which is the best fix I should use to fix this problem?

Thanks.

IIRC, you have to install the channel you want with a WAD Channel Forwarder. Strangely, I could never get Configurable to work properly on vwii whereas USB Loader GX works fine. It has an official forwarder that works fine.

https://code.google.com/archive/p/usbloader-gui/downloads

This post comes a month late, but I hope this helps.

-shadow-

I was wondering if anyone can help me on this one. Whenever I try to boot a game using WiiFlow it suddenly tries to load the game using the disc drive and stops immediately after trying because the disc drive is broken which was the whole reason Wii Flow was installed for me to begin with. It was working just fine last night and suddenly it tries using the disc drive. Now I've checked and I'm reading that I should update the cIOS for some reason, but I have absolutely no idea about how to do that. So anyone who can maybe help me out with this problem? Because I have no idea how I'm supposed to do this.

alf717

I was wondering if anyone can help me on this one. Whenever I try to boot a game using WiiFlow it suddenly tries to load the game using the disc drive and stops immediately after trying because the disc drive is broken which was the whole reason Wii Flow was installed for me to begin with. It was working just fine last night and suddenly it tries using the disc drive. Now I've checked and I'm reading that I should update the cIOS for some reason, but I have absolutely no idea about how to do that. So anyone who can maybe help me out with this problem? Because I have no idea how I'm supposed to do this.

The old guide is still up and working and it is pretty much still the same. To use higher versions of d2x you have to manually download them

http://gwht.wikidot.com/d2x

I use slot 248 and 247 as described in the guide and it works great. Still running d2x v6 as well. I put on the higher versions but since I use nand emulation now I find it annoying that newer revisions make the blue light blink when accessing the drive.

My setup uses CFG loader 70r78.10

dose

If I stick the Homebrew Channel on my Wii (with Letterbomb) can I still access the Wii Shop ok or will it try and update stuff or block me? Btw I'm already on 4.3U.

RootCause

I don't like bumping threads, but I need some help.

is there a new tutorial for installing hbc for the latest Wii software version 4.3U?
Also, my main reasons are playing imported games/removing region lock? and making backups to play on dolphin?

Will the hbc cover my needs?

gblues

Banned
I don't like bumping threads, but I need some help.

is there a new tutorial for installing hbc for the latest Wii software version 4.3U?
Also, my main reasons are playing imported games/removing region lock? and making backups to play on dolphin?

Will the hbc cover my needs?

Assuming you are talking about a real Wii (not vWii mode of Wii U), the existing tutorials still work.

HBC will definitely help with making backups to play on Dolphin, and pretty sure will handle region lock too.

*shameless plug*
I have a modded wii (US-NTSC) for sale in the BST thread. :)

RootCause

Assuming you are talking about a real Wii (not vWii mode of Wii U), the existing tutorials still work.

HBC will definitely help with making backups to play on Dolphin, and pretty sure will handle region lock too.

*shameless plug*
I have a modded wii (US-NTSC) for sale in the BST thread. :)
Okay thanks. It's an actual Wii. I've had it since launch day, and I've been itching for some import games, and playing some Zelda at higher res. :0

I might look into it depending on how much of a hassle it is. :p
How much are you asking for it?

Also, do I have to install bootmii? Any downsides to not installing it?

Oh, and thank you for taking the time to help. :)

First off, SNES9XGX, FCEUGX, mGBA recently received updates and are faster and more feature reach than ever.
124luycakvw3d714g.jpg

8zltcddq2bu3zf14g.jpg

51brbb1achr6rlm4g.jpg

3zi3ci0vna0jz9i4g.jpg

vklsg8gqgj3i99f4g.jpg

nlrv3lvy6ndoizx4g.jpg

Secondly, some interesting new developments:

A cool project in progress:
Link's Awakening 64 (in development)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_siGRI5ricw
Zelda-Links-Awakening-64-screen-810x400.jpg

Links-Awakening-64-3-1024x576.png

20161017_073747_thumb.png

LinksAwakening64Pic1.jpeg

A nice little improvement on TTP:
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Hyrule Castle Town FreeCam Mod

2mxo20k.jpg

http://gbatemp.net/threads/zelda-tp-hyrule-castle-town-freecam-mod.446413/

Out now, an awesome Mario 64 mod, released for the 20th aniversary of the original:
SM64: Last Impact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG4PCVfu4qo
on5zlvxoz8ical1mxe8u.png

sm64-last-impact-03.png

sm64lastimpactslide.png

maxresdefault.jpg

finally, GoldenEye X, the Perfect Dark engine remake of GoldenEye 64 continues to be worked upon, with single player content and improvements (previous versions of GoldenEye X only remade the multiplayer aspect)
http://www.shootersforever.com/foru...php?t=6721&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=510
gex_phantomtriggerguard001.png

fGW1UM8.gif

gex_aztecmoon001.png

gex_depotlights001.png

AR15mex

I was reading the entry for this. Quite interesting, I do really love the homebrew channel because it allow to lunch everything from a single entry. Emulators, USB Loaders, Utilities, and other stuff.

Which bring the Wii U scene there are different entries that is so confusing for the end user. Thanks homebrew channel. You made the Wii my favorite console ever. Dethroning the dreamcast.

Once again thanks :D

anyone had sucess using the official gamecube mic with USB loaded backups? Mario Party 7 detects the mic with Nintendont when plugged in after the game boots, but I cant seem to get the mic to register my voice...

... does GAF know of a game I can use as a benchmark to see if my mic is defective? (and yes I have tried using the mic with the disc version of MP7, same result, detects the mic but doesnt hear me)

Leynos

After 3.5 years I'm finally going to do it: Wii to Wii U transfer.

Of course I'm going to use a BootMii NAND backup to restore everything back onto my Wii once its been transferred.

I've been told that after you restore the Wii, going into the Wii Shop Channel will delete all your games. So how do we deal with that? Just delete/hide the channel?

Bonus question: If I use the Wii U vWii Shop Channel to buy games, can I just load them onto my card, plop them on my Wii, and play them without a hack, as if I had bought it on the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii before I transferred?

Any answers to these two questions? I finally plan to go from my Wii to Wii U, and am wondering the same thing.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
A few years back after I moved everything from my Wii to Wii U I installed the homebrew channel and BootMii via the LetterBomb exploit.

I didn't really do much with it and haven't touched it since. Now I'm doing a bit of a pre-spring cleanup and I was going to sell off my Wii U hardware.

How can I safely remove the BootMii launch screen and homebrew channel so I can make the system look as proper as possible before selling it?

Platy

Not sure if it is a good choice because unless you remove EVERYTHING you changed (unpatching ios and stuff like that), just taking homebrew channel out will increase the chance of bricking the system if someone gets and try to put it again

Can't you sell WITH THE BONUS of having homebrew ?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm primarily looking to disable that boot-up screen that you have to navigate with the Power, Reset, and Eject buttons. I don't need someone buying the console on eBay thinking its busted because they can't get to the home menu.

Chinbo37

I have a Wii I was going to sell but its worth so little I thought what the hell let me try Homebrew.

Ive never done it before.

Is there a definative guide? Ive seen guides online but I wanted to ask if there was a preferred walkthrough.

Also, Im confused. I know I need a SD Card. But shoudl I just get a SD card and thats it? Ive seen people also reference the fact they use an external hard drive? Why woudl you need both? Shoudl I get a small SD card and big hard drive or thumb drive?

Help?

Thanks

I have a Wii I was going to sell but its worth so little I thought what the hell let me try Homebrew.

Ive never done it before.

Is there a definative guide? Ive seen guides online but I wanted to ask if there was a preferred walkthrough.
Guide at gwht.wikidot.com is pretty good but a little outdated in that CFG Loader was basically abandoned and most people use GX Loader instead, and a newer version of cIOS installer seems to be able to download some stuff for you and skip some steps. You can look at gbatemp tutorial section for further assistance.

Also, Im confused. I know I need a SD Card. But shoudl I just get a SD card and thats it? Ive seen people also reference the fact they use an external hard drive? Why woudl you need both? Shoudl I get a small SD card and big hard drive or thumb drive?

It's a mess. First, you need an SD card for initial setup, and for all regular methods it needs to be formatted as FAT16. If you're able to find one that's 512MB-2GB anywhere for little cash, that's perfect. If you have to use a bigger one, you must use a PC or something to reformat it as a smaller one temporarily, which I imagine isn't especially easy for a beginner.

Afterwards some stuff will support bigger cards, but some won't. The HBC itself supports FAT16/FAT32 SD cards and FAT32 USB drives. Basically all homebrew supports FAT16 SD cards, but beyond that it's hit and miss. As for backup loading, different formatting schemes for USB drives are supported - though unless you have tons of games using anything but FAT32 makes no sense because that's the only thing where you'll see that support - booting from SD is supported on some loaders, though not aforementioned GX Loader that is the current baseline, but is not recommended mostly due to SD card speeds and wear-out, some games trying to access SD card on their own etc.

You should not use flash memory over USB. They are somewhat less reliable - I personally had problems even booting a game while trying one.

I'm primarily looking to disable that boot-up screen that you have to navigate with the Power, Reset, and Eject buttons. I don't need someone buying the console on eBay thinking its busted because they can't get to the home menu.

In case you're still looking at it. You can set up files on SD card to autoboot the system menu. You can also erase BootMii with a wad manager and a wad of genuine boot2, though remember it is quite risky. Erasing HBC is, well, erasing HBC with Wii System Menu., though remember to do it last - you won't erase BootMii from nowhere.

I would recommend actually mentioning BootMii compatibility if not leaving it in. Someone may be looking for it. My Wii hasn't got that and I had to dabble with priiloader to get the thing to boot to HBC.

Chinbo37

Guide at gwht.wikidot.com is pretty good but a little outdated in that CFG Loader was basically abandoned and most people use GX Loader instead, and a newer version of cIOS installer seems to be able to download some stuff for you and skip some steps. You can look at gbatemp tutorial section for further assistance.

It's a mess. First, you need an SD card for initial setup, and for all regular methods it needs to be formatted as FAT16. If you're able to find one that's 512MB-2GB anywhere for little cash, that's perfect. If you have to use a bigger one, you must use a PC or something to reformat it as a smaller one temporarily, which I imagine isn't especially easy for a beginner.

Afterwards some stuff will support bigger cards, but some won't. The HBC itself supports FAT16/FAT32 SD cards and FAT32 USB drives. Basically all homebrew supports FAT16 SD cards, but beyond that it's hit and miss. As for backup loading, different formatting schemes for USB drives are supported - though unless you have tons of games using anything but FAT32 makes no sense because that's the only thing where you'll see that support - booting from SD is supported on some loaders, though not aforementioned GX Loader that is the current baseline, but is not recommended mostly due to SD card speeds and wear-out, some games trying to access SD card on their own etc.

You should not use flash memory over USB. They are somewhat less reliable - I personally had problems even booting a game while trying one.

Thanks. I have an old 1 GB SD card so that should work nicely. Then I guess Ill get a USB thumb drive for everything else. That should work right?

Ill look more into the guides. Frankly its a bit confusing for me now but I am pretty tech savy Im sure Ill figure it out.

I'm having a problem with running Metroid Prime Trilogy on CFG USB Loader. I followed all the steps here, including the prerequisites, with the exception of Hermes' Ios222/223 because it's apparently not needed anymore. I'm also using the modified version of CFG, cfg70MODr65.dol as that appears to be the latest version.

I can boot to the main menu, select a save file, but trying to load any of the games within MP Trilogy results in a crash. The Wii just freezes with the logo of the game on screen, the "now loading" text, the Wii remote shuts off, and I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds to shut off the Wii.

I have also installed Metroid Prime 3 and that works without any problems.

From what I can gather, this seems to be a result of IOS reloading, but according to the guide this is no longer an issue, and I have made sure to follow every instruction closely.

I am using a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB 2.5" Portable External Hard Drive, formatted to NTFS, games dumped as iso. I'm also using the following options in config.txt.

ntfs_write = 1
fat_split_size = 0
install_partitions = iso
return_to_channel = auto

Help?

finley83

Banned
I'm having a problem with running Metroid Prime Trilogy on CFG USB Loader. I followed all the steps here, including the prerequisites, with the exception of Hermes' Ios222/223 because it's apparently not needed anymore. I'm also using the modified version of CFG, cfg70MODr65.dol as that appears to be the latest version.

I can boot to the main menu, select a save file, but trying to load any of the games within MP Trilogy results in a crash. The Wii just freezes with the logo of the game on screen, the "now loading" text, the Wii remote shuts off, and I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds to shut off the Wii.

I have also installed Metroid Prime 3 and that works without any problems.

From what I can gather, this seems to be a result of IOS reloading, but according to the guide this is no longer an issue, and I have made sure to follow every instruction closely.

I am using a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB 2.5" Portable External Hard Drive, formatted to NTFS, games dumped as iso. I'm also using the following options in config.txt.

ntfs_write = 1
fat_split_size = 0
install_partitions = iso
return_to_channel = auto

Help?

I had this issue, fixed it by updating IOS58 8 think. Then disable the custom IOS load in the loader options.

Chinbo37

Ok thanks to the info available online as well as this thread I have installed the homebrew channel on my Wii.

I have loaded up Retroarch on a USB thumb stick and managed to run a couple NES and SNES games using their respective cores on Retroarch. I thought Retroarch would be difficult to figure out but it was pretty simple.

The NES games ran perfectly using Wii Mote turned side ways and I plugged in a classic controller Pro and ran the SNES games no problem.

I plan on figuring out Wiiflow to get cover views for my games.

I also plan on figuring out how to install whatever I need to play Gamecube and Wii games.

So my question - besides the above. What else can I do? I checked the list of applications and it seems that you can do a lot of cool tricks with Homebrew apps. But given that my Wii sits in my entertainment center next to my HTPC I dont really need it as a media player or anything like that.

Top Bottom