• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Necron

Ok, so let's start with a question? Which Disney (or Pixar's or Marvel's) worlds do you guys would like to see in
Kingdom Hearts 3
the next game?

My answer:
FldaEpL.jpg

Best Disney movie ever.

This. I love Sword in the Stone. For the next one I also hope to see Robin Hood and that we can whistle this tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKYEKhxWy6o

Lovely OP btw.

botty

Banned
Even though Roxas is my favorite character, I am content with him continuing to exist through Sora. I feel as though the ending of Kingdom Hearts 2
when Roxas and Naminé smile at each other for a brief moment
will lose a bit of its significance if they give him a body of his own.

Berordn

Even though Roxas is my favorite character, I am content with him continuing to exist through Sora. I feel as though the ending of Kingdom Hearts 2
when Roxas and Naminé smile at each other for a brief moment
will lose a bit of its significance if they give him a body of his own.

Eh, Ventus basically being Roxas already undid most of that. The fact that we know he can still be saved, and the fact that he and Namine somehow still exist ruins a lot of the "emotional" effect of Roxas's sacrifice.

So Ventus connects to Sora's heart while he is a child, thus influencing the shape Roxas takes. Roxas is the nobody of Sora but he presumably was able to create a heart inside him. At the end of KH3D,
Sora assumes this. He sees Roxas and says that he should be his own person. Roxas goes into Sora (though technically he was already there) and it is possible that this is an ability that Sora has, to house hearts within his own, because Roxas then says "That's why it had to be you. (Side theory, perhaps this is involved with Drive forms, his ability to have multiple hearts inside him)
So it is fully possible that there is a heart for Ven that will travel back to him when he wakes, and a heart for Roxas developed in the "Nobody" of Sora. And another side point backing up the theory,
Xion is also in Sora's heart. When Riku dives into his heart at the end, we see the hearts of those inside Sora.

Vanitas... He is inside the heart of Xehanort reacting to the heart of Ven inside Sora. So Vanitas isn't inside Sora.

Nudull

Banned
I do loves me some Kingdom Hearts, as lovingly convoluted as it is. Subbed!

How is roxas able to
dual wield
? Is it from him obtaining
Xion keyblade and being sora's nobody
?

I kinda thought that was the case, unless I'm remembering things wrong.

Seda

How is roxas able to
dual wield
?

This is more complicated; I've heard a couple varying explanations. Before I say anything, anyone can feel free to correct me.
Each heart can only have one keyblade attached to it.

Roxas share's Sora's Keyblade. Even though DDD has stated that Nobodies can indeed get their own hearts, I think it's safe to say that Sora's keyblade and Roxas's keyblade are one and the same. So if one of Roxas's keyblades is Sora's, who's is the other?

1.) One explanation will claim that it is Ventus's, and that Xion's death only awakens his ability to use it. Sora can use 2 keyblades in KH2 for the same reason, his own heart and Ventus's.

2.) The other explanation is that it is somehow Xion's. I'm not sure about this one.

But DDD makes it possible for Roxas's keyblade to actually be different from Soras.....I suppose.....if he can get his own heart.

botty

Banned
Eh, Ventus basically being Roxas already undid most of that. The fact that we know he can still be saved, and the fact that he and Namine somehow still exist ruins a lot of the "emotional" effect of Roxas's sacrifice.

But Ventus is only Roxas superficially. In the same way that Vanitas is only Sora superficially. They have the same face, but they aren't the same person at all. Roxas is Sora, though... and in the same light, Vanitas is Ventus.

How is roxas able to
dual wield
?

He dual-weilds Ven and Sora's Keyblades. I don't recall fully, but I think Xion's keyblade was the one that belonged to Ven.

sappyday

I actually never thought that Roxas looked like Sora, I don't get why Org. XIII would call Sora Roxas in KH 2.
Roxas-and-Sora-3-roxas-and-sora-27937505-250-400.jpg

Don't the people who only say this are the ones who actually met Ventus also? They could be referring Ventus. Although I haven't played any of the KH games except for the first one for a very long time so I don't know if they actually specify that he looked like Sora because from what I remember they would say "You look a lot like him"

Don't the people who only say this are the ones who actually met Ventus also? They could be referring Ventus. Although I haven't played any of the KH games except for the first one for a very long time so I don't know if they actually specify that he looked like Sora because from what I remember they would say "You look a lot like him"
No, it's pretty clear that they're talking about Roxas, since Demyx says "Roxas... come back to us!"

Sora_N

Nice, a new KH thread. I previously tried to play Re:CoM a few months ago but got busy with work. Now that the HD collection has been announced, I will not be continuing my game. Instead, I think I'm just gonna start BBS instead and get back to CoM later.

Nice, a new KH thread. I previously tried to play Re:CoM a few months ago but got busy with work. Now that the HD collection has been announced, I will not be continuing my game. Instead, I think I'm just gonna start BBS instead and get back to CoM later.

KH BBS is one the best KH games out there, currently replaying the Final Mix version.

This is more complicated; I've heard a couple varying explanations. Before I say anything, anyone can feel free to correct me.

Roxas share's Sora's Keyblade. Even though DDD has stated that Nobodies can indeed get their own hearts, I think it's safe to say that Sora's keyblade and Roxas's keyblade are one and the same. So if one of Roxas's keyblades is Sora's, who's is the other?

1.) One explanation will claim that it is Ventus's, and that Xion's death only awakens his ability to use it. Sora can use 2 keyblades in KH2 for the same reason, his own heart and Ventus's.

2.) The other explanation is that it is somehow Xion's. I'm not sure about this one.

But DDD makes it possible for Roxas's keyblade to actually be different from Soras.....I suppose.....if he can get his own heart.

There is a Far simpler explanation. In order to wield a keyblade, you need a heart. In Roxas case, he had a single keyblade, which would be tied to sora. In the beginning of KH2, Sora was asleep because Roxas, essentially, had more of Sora's heart than Sora did. So there is one keyblade down.

The other comes from the heart Roxas was developing. The heart he was growing allowed him to wield a keyblade.

The following is supplemental information :p Every time Sora was able to dual wield, he had another heart within his own (see Drive Forms... Valor, Master, Final). The only forms that don't allow him too wield are Wisdom Form (Donald's heart isn't ready for a keyblade) and Limit form (he doesn't meld with anyone). Also Anti :p.

I believe that Final Form, since it is only obtainable after Sora battles Roxas, is a mixture of Sora and Roxas' hearts and therefore the two keyblades. But the ability to combine indicates that they are separate. So it is possible that you have to be aware of the other heart within you to use it to dual wield.

In KH2's intro, Roxas uses Sora's keyblade for the majority. However, in the Axel fight, he summons another. Presumably this would be the time when he became "aware" of his own heart that was growing.
Makes that moment so much more Bad Ass for me haha.

TheMink

There is a Far simpler explanation. In order to wield a keyblade, you need a heart. In Roxas case, he had a single keyblade, which would be tied to sora. In the beginning of KH2, Sora was asleep because Roxas, essentially, had more of Sora's heart than Sora did. So there is one keyblade down.

The other comes from the heart Roxas was developing. The heart he was growing allowed him to wield a keyblade.

The following is supplemental information :p Every time Sora was able to dual wield, he had another heart within his own (see Drive Forms... Valor, Master, Final). The only forms that don't allow him too wield are Wisdom Form (Donald's heart isn't ready for a keyblade) and Limit form (he doesn't meld with anyone). Also Anti :p.

I believe that Final Form, since it is only obtainable after Sora battles Roxas, is a mixture of Sora and Roxas' hearts and therefore the two keyblades. But the ability to combine indicates that they are separate. So it is possible that you have to be aware of the other heart within you to use it to dual wield.

In KH2's intro, Roxas uses Sora's keyblade for the majority. However, in the Axel fight, he summons another. Presumably this would be the time when he became "aware" of his own heart that was growing.

I like your explainations.

So that was it all along, I always thought it had something to do with Ventus.

botty

Banned

As a Nobody, by definition, Roxas did not have any of Sora's heart. Roxas can wield Sora's keyblade because he is Sora. That is the simplest answer, and it is given directly in the games. Sora would not have been able to function during the latter part of KH1, or CoM if Roxas did indeed have parts of his heart, because a person with a fragmented heart would go into a comatose state, Like Ven did.

There is, however, heavy implications of Ventus' fragmented heart being in Roxas.

Vitor Navarrete

Neo Member

Just one thing off: a single heart may have more than one keyblade attached to it. Mickey and Aqua both have two. Starseeker and Kingdom Key D. for the King and Rainfell/Stormfall and Master Keeper for the Fool Master. But you need one heart for each keyblade you summon at the same time.

Now about Roxas Keyblade. During the begining of Days Roxas is using a keyblade and so is Sora (end of KH and CoM). So I think they couldn't be the same. While he doesn't have a heart, Roxas is probably using Ventus' to be able to summon a Keyblade.

About the dual wielding: when Xion dies there is a big question, imo, who absorved her? Roxas or Sora? My guess is Roxas. So, during Another Side/Another Story Roxas has at least two hearts, his, Ventus' and Xion's (if she has one (we now that nobodies can grow a heart, but can puppets do the same? (I think so. (At some time in Days she was using a real keyblade)))). Since he has more than one heart, he can summon two keyblades at the same time. When Sora absorves Roxas (and Ventus (and Xion)) he has four hearts (lol), so he probably could summon four keyblades at once, but didn't know that.

Some people want the old Magic/MP from KHI/KHII back, some want the BBS command deck, some want Drive forms (dual wielding). I say, why don't we have all of those things? In BBS we had three characters with diferent styles and it worked well, but if we are going to have
seven
or more we will need more than that. If Roxas returns, he could be the only one with two keyblades
(he could have Vanitas heart or something lol)
, Aqua could have tons of magic and a special MP bar to use them and so on.

TheMink

As a Nobody, by definition, Roxas did not have any of Sora's heart. Roxas can wield Sora's keyblade because he is Sora. That is the simplest answer, and it is given directly in the games. Sora would not have been able to function during the latter part of KH1, or CoM if Roxas did indeed have parts of his heart, because a person with a fragmented heart would go into a comatose state, Like Ven did.

There is, however, heavy implications of Ventus' fragmented heart being in Roxas.

Incorrect, you CANNOT wield a keyblade without a Strong heart. Roxas must have a heart.

botty

Banned
Incorrect, you CANNOT wield a keyblade without a Strong heart. Roxas must have a heart.

I said there was implication of Roxas having Ven's heart.

Might I also add that Xion, a
puppet made out of memories
, wielded a keyblade without a heart for the entirety of Days.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
What do you guys think about the direction the series should take in KH3 and beyond? I personally would love for more focus on creating world stories that are actually well thought out. I think that as the series progressed, worlds started becoming kind of mere collections of characters from certain Disney properties rather than actual integral story points.

I also made a video a while back talking about it here.

Vitor Navarrete

Neo Member

I think it was already said that "absorving" a team member had nothing to do with summoning another keyblade. It was just a way so that the player wouldn't be two powerfull
but you became too powerfull anyway

Welp, I guess this is the best place to ask this question.
Is Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance worth getting a 3DS for?

I'm planning on getting a 3DSXL in the future once I raised enough money, and I was just wondering if this game is worth it. I'm not purchasing a 3DS soley for this game, I'm actually getting one for Fire Emblem Awakening and Pokemon X and Y. It's just that as everyone knows when you get a new system it's smart to get a few games with it. Now I can only get 3 but I'm wondering if KHDD is worth it for a new system purchase. I know I enjoyed KH 358/2 Days a little bit, but I'm not sure if KHDD is 100% like it in terms of battle system (the press 1 button for everything battle system) but if it is then it does cause some discern.

Thoughts?

Vitor Navarrete

Neo Member
I said there was implication of Roxas having Ven's heart.

Might I also add that Xion, a
puppet made out of memories
, wielded a keyblade without a heart for the entirety of Days.

She wasn't.
Riku calls her keyblade a scam (so it was probably something that Vexen created). Then she isn't able to use a keyblade at all. After Roxas help she is able to. So, it would seem that she developed a heart during the time she was doing missions together with Roxas.

Salvadora

Well, it's not like they started moving away from Disney after the first game. In KH 1 you had original KH worlds like Traverse Town, Destiny Islands, Hollow Bastion, and End of the World. Then we had Twilight Town, The World That Nevew Was, Land of Departure, Castle Oblivion, and the Keyblade Graveyard. I'm really glad they shifted focus and concentrated on KH characters.

It's not the original worlds that are the problem per say, it's what they do with them. I hate the "story" so much.

Welp, I guess this is the best place to ask this question.
Is Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance worth getting a 3DS for?

I'm planning on getting a 3DSXL in the future once I raised enough money, and I was just wondering if this game is worth it. I'm not purchasing a 3DS soley for this game, I'm actually getting one for Fire Emblem Awakening and Pokemon X and Y. It's just that as everyone knows when you get a new system it's smart to get a few games with it. Now I can only get 3 but I'm wondering if KHDD is worth it for a new system purchase. I know I enjoyed KH 358/2 Days a little bit, but I'm not sure if KHDD is 100% like it in terms of battle system (the press 1 button for everything battle system) but if it is then it does cause some discern.

Thoughts?
It's totally worth it. It is pretty much necessary to play if you want to understand what is going.

Also, added in the Music section in the OP

botty

Banned
What do you guys think about the direction the series should take in KH3 and beyond? I personally would love for more focus on creating world stories that are actually well thought out. I think that as the series progressed, worlds started becoming kind of mere collections of characters from certain Disney properties rather than actual integral story points.

I also made a video a while back talking about it here.

In the original Kingdom Hearts, the was a unison between the overall story and the subplots of the disney worlds. This occurred because the disney villains were all working together due walls separating the worlds being open. However, in Kingdom Hearts 2, and the other games, those walls are closed, and we have much more isolated subplots occurring in the disney worlds; usually involving the meddling of the organization.

Nomura needs to some how find a way to unite those disney worlds again, like in KH1, so that they feel much more attached to the overall plot.

She wasn't.
Riku calls her keyblade a scam. Then she isn't able to use a keyblade at all. After Roxas help she is able to. So, it would seem that she developed a heart during the time she was doing missions together with Roxas.

Xion is a
Sora replica
and was fully able to wield one his keyblade. However, as a
replica
she didn't have a heart. Therefore, you can indeed wield a keyblade without a heart, as long as your
original self could wield one too.
That part with Riku was more of a misunderstanding on his part. I mean, a similar scene also occurs when Riku encounters Roxas with a keyblade.

First, that isn't true in Roxas case. The ability to wield a keyblade is tied to the "heart".

Let me be clear. Sora's heart is in Sora. However, the memories which make up a heart are necessary for a person to function. Thus, Sora's sleep-state at the end of COM and also Roxas sleep-state at the beginning of 358. Nobodies usually get the memories from the heart that left the body, however Roxas is different because the two hearts used in his creation aren't capable of sharing memories. First,
Ven's heart is inside of him but is incapable of giving him memories because it sleeping. This is a vital reason he can wield a keyblade.
Second, Sora's heart which resides in Sora so it can't give memories to Roxas. That is, until the his memories get jacked and he has to sleep. During this period, many of Sora's memories were tied up within Roxas. This is why most of Sora's heart was in Roxas.

Another point; Xehanort is a Keyblade Master. Terra is a Keyblade Master. Yet Xemnas can't wield (that we have seen.) Nor can
the other nobodies from the Org. that have been given Xehanort's heart. The only 2 versions of Xehanort that can wield keyblades are Master Xehanort, and Young Xehanort. These are THE SAME PERSON from different times.
What was missing in these? "Xehanort's Memories."

Memories are required to form enough of a heart to wield a keyblade. In fact, in a riddle, Nomura says that "the keyblade that Roxas wields, and the thing that Sora would lose in Castle Oblivion are the same." Clearly, that is saying that the keyblade the Roxas wields is Sora's based on the memories of Sora he has. (Btw, it should be noted that Roxas has always had a small amount of Sora's memories from the short period of time that Sora was a heartless, thus explaining his ability to wield.)

Just one thing off: a single heart may have more than one keyblade attached to it. Mickey and Aqua both have two. Starseeker and Kingdom Key D. for the King and Rainfell/Stormfall and Master Keeper for the Fool Master. But you need one heart for each keyblade you summon at the same time.

Now about Roxas Keyblade. During the begining of Days Roxas is using a keyblade and so is Sora (end of KH and CoM). So I think they couldn't be the same. While he doesn't have a heart, Roxas is probably using Ventus' to be able to summon a Keyblade.

About the dual wielding: when Xion dies there is a big question, imo, who absorved her? Roxas or Sora? My guess is Roxas. So, during Another Side/Another Story Roxas has at least two hearts, his, Ventus' and Xion's (if she has one (we now that nobodies can grow a heart, but can puppets do the same? (I think so. (At some time in Days she was using a real keyblade)))). Since he has more than one heart, he can summon two keyblades at the same time. When Sora absorves Roxas (and Ventus (and Xion)) he has four hearts (lol), so he probably could summon four keyblades at once, but didn't know that.

A single heart cannot have 2 keyblades. A keyblade wielder can lend his keyblade and not summon it back (Riku uses Sora's keyblade in the Xemnas fight in KH2, etc.) so if someone were to bestow their keyblade on you, you could wield it as well. For instance, Mickey was using Star Seeker, the keyblade of Yen Sid. His ability to Dual Wield is dependent on his willingness to allow him to use his keyblade.

It could be said that when anyone Dual Wields, the other heart is granting permission to use the keyblade. They don't have to be in the body.

Xion is a
Sora replica
and was fully able to wield one his keyblade. However, as a
replica
she didn't have a heart. Therefore, you can indeed wield a keyblade without a heart, as long as your
original self could wield one too.
That part with Riku was more of a misunderstanding on his part. I mean, a similar scene also occurs when Riku encounters Roxas with a keyblade.

Regarding Xion, she isn't a
Replica of Sora, she is a Replica of Roxas and is given form due to Sora's Memories of Kairi. The fact that she appears inside Sora's heart at the end of DDD is evidence that she does have a heart.
When she wields a keyblade, she is using the one made from Sora's Memories. She was absorbed into Roxas.

I'm sure i missed stuff. Call me out. I love this crap :p

TheMink

First, that isn't true in Roxas case. The ability to wield a keyblade is tied to the "heart".

Let me be clear. Sora's heart is in Sora. However, the memories which make up a heart are necessary for a person to function. Thus, Sora's sleep-state at the end of COM and also Roxas sleep-state at the beginning of 358. Nobodies usually get the memories from the heart that left the body, however Roxas is different because the two hearts used in his creation aren't capable of sharing memories. First,
Ven's heart is inside of him but is incapable of giving him memories because it sleeping. This is a vital reason he can wield a keyblade.
Second, Sora's heart which resides in Sora so it can't give memories to Roxas. That is, until the his memories get jacked and he has to sleep. During this period, many of Sora's memories were tied up within Roxas. This is why most of Sora's heart was in Roxas.

Another point; Xehanort is a Keyblade Master. Terra is a Keyblade Master. Yet Xemnas can't wield (that we have seen.) Nor can
the other nobodies from the Org. that have been given Xehanort's heart. The only 2 versions of Xehanort that can wield keyblades are Master Xehanort, and Young Xehanort. These are THE SAME PERSON from different times.

Memories are required to form enough of a heart to wield a keyblade. In fact, in a riddle, Nomura says that "the keyblade that Roxas wields, and the thing that Sora would lose in Castle Oblivion are the same." Clearly, that is saying that the keyblade the Roxas wields is Sora's based on the memories of Sora he has. (Btw, it should be noted that Roxas has always had a small amount of Sora's memories from the short period of time that Sora was a heartless, thus explaining his ability to wield.)

A single heart cannot have 2 keyblades. A keyblade wielder can lend his keyblade and not summon it back (Riku uses Sora's keyblade in the Xemnas fight in KH2, etc.) so if someone were to bestow their keyblade on you, you could wield it as well. For instance, Mickey was using Star Seeker, the keyblade of Yen Sid. His ability to Dual Wield is dependent on his willingness to allow him to use his keyblade.

It could be said that when anyone Dual Wields, the other heart is granting permission to use the keyblade. They don't have to be in the body.

Replica of Sora, she is a Replica of Roxas and is given form due to Sora's Memories of Kairi. The fact that she appears inside Sora's heart at the end of DDD is evidence that she does have a heart.
When she wields a keyblade, she is using the one made from Sora's Memories. She was absorbed into Roxas.

Dude. You know your crap. That thing about the memories is kick ass.

Holy fuck, I'm ashamed to call myself a KH fan and not know any of this. So Roxas' Keyblade is/was Sora's Memories?

Whaaat! Come on. Gotta love A harmonic minor. Love the battle theme.
I get tired of hearing the same shit in almost every game, really. I understand it's pretty good but gets annoying after a while.

TheMink

^ oh! Hi :p

Holy fuck, I'm ashamed to call myself a KH fan and not know any of this. So Roxas' Keyblade is/was Sora's Memories?

I get tired of hearing the same shit in almost every game, really. I understand it's pretty good but gets annoying after a while.

Hes east coast, and has to get up a 5 or so probably went to bed.
And dont feel bad haha he knows pretty much more than anyone alive that wasnt involved in development XD

GAMERG0D

I guess I'm going to order BBS from Amazon later today...

Then I need Re:Coded and DDD then I will have all the games barring Re:CoM.

I only beat the first game (100% :D), played a little bit of CoM and a couple worlds of KH II.

Top Bottom