• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Firestorm

Would the Wii have the power to run 1280x720 videos in WiiMiidia?
Also, is the Genesis emulator compatible with Classic Controller?

If Nintendo + Sega don't release Sonic 3 & Knuckles on VC I might have to do it this way for my fix.

Firestorm said:

If Nintendo + Sega don't release Sonic 3 & Knuckles on VC I might have to do it this way for my fix.

Yes. Or Wiimote only if you like.

bryehn

Firestorm said:

Well it's based of XBMC so I doubt that MKV files will be supported, but 720p output would be awesome. You can always transcode stuff to .mp4

Ramenman said:
WUT WOW WHAT OHLY SIHT.

Need to try that. Still the beginning of course but could be a way to keep playing my US games if the Freeloader suddenly gets blocked.

Now just to be sure : if I use Twilight Hack everytime I want to load something, meaning I don't install any channel, I'm 100% sure to have no problem with updates, since nothing is on my console ?

Also, are there some youtube vids of the Mplayer clones ?

Yep, its highly unlikely Nintendo will scan your game saves for Twilight Hack. You would just put Gecko Region Free on the root of your card as boot.elf, and Twilight Princess would in effect become a backup freeloader.

This is a really old vid of old versions of homebrew launcher, and MFE... but they play a DivX version of the IGN Zelda movie trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qLz06wlIcg

Ramenman

Thanks ! Also, awesome work for this thread :D

Firestorm said:

I was wondering too. And what about the IQ then ? Would it be like playing a 1280x720 vid on a computer / 360 ?

Firestorm said:

Did XBMC for Xbox support 720p videos properly? I seem to remember some scaling options.

The Xbox had 64MB of RAM shared with the NV2A GPU, and Wii has 88MB, 3MB texture cache + whatever they can steal from the 512MB flash memory. I think it'd be possible to get XBMC type performance out of it...

its just a shame theres no digital audio on Wii really.

radioheadrule83 said:
Guys, this was just posted over in the Nintendo Channel thread -

You'll notice if you've used Homebrew Launcher or any other installed channel, it shows up in "Today's Accomplishments"

Just a warning.

radioheadrule83 said:
Well as I load all programs from Homebrew Launcher 0.4 at the moment, it shows up as "Homebrew Launcher 0:01" for every day that I've used it.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo will gather the information as private/untraceable to users, I'll have to read the Wii Connect 24 TOS/Privacy thing again...
But if you run the Homebrew Launcher or ScummVM or whatever enough (so that it aquires an hour of playtime) couldn't you send in a game reccomendation using the Nintendo channel?

Because that would be awesome.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Metal Gear?! said:
But if you run the Homebrew Launcher or ScummVM or whatever enough (so that it aquires an hour of playtime) couldn't you send in a game reccomendation using the Nintendo channel?

Because that would be awesome.
Ahahahahaha.

It'd be funny if Nintendo started getting recommendations for VC games that aren't out yet.

jts

...hate me...
bryehn said:
WiiMiidia looks awesome... The Wii is my new Xbox (I can finally pt that giant beast to rest it seems)
Wait, what?

CTRL+F wiimiidia

You're the first poster to mention it!

Subtitles support? USB support? DVD support? Network support? I wanna knooooowww OMG will i watch LOST on my Wii this week?

wsippel

Banned
bryehn said:
Well it's based of XBMC so I doubt that MKV files will be supported, but 720p output would be awesome. You can always transcode stuff to .mp4
XBMC is based on MPlayer, and MPlayer supports Matroska. Maybe MKV support needs to be downported, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Crushed said:
Ahahahahaha.

It'd be funny if Nintendo started getting recommendations for VC games that aren't out yet.
If someone does find a way of doing that, I expect their servers will be flooded with Earthbound recommendations.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
SonicMegaDrive said:
Yes. Or Wiimote only if you like.

Is it "perfect" emulation?
I mean, is it the same as playing VC's MD/Genny games?

I might do it to play some games, since I'm fucking sick of Pal VC Megadrive/Master System games (Sonic 1 and Gunstar Heroes are ridiculous... Sonic 3 is better but why the fuck the don't do proper PAL as Super Nintendo's games).

Also I hope at Hudson they realize it's time to fix the blur filter or... you know, who's buying the likes of Lords of Thunder if not the same kind of people who would be VERY interested in running a proper version of the game.

I'll still buy VC games though.
I just hope they'll up their game a bit.

Ramenman said:
Can I find and .elf file for ScummVM somewhere ? I'm on my Mac and DolTool is a .exe ...

I posted a 7z file earlier in the the thread, if you've got 7z/7zip for mac, its in there under homebrew > scummvm, and its been renamed boot.elf

You may be able to find it elsewhere though.

Ramenman

Actually I did :D

Might as well share, it's here

It works like a charm, but ScummVM doesn't seem to be able to output via component , I had to hook up the wii to the old 50Hz TV again to play Monkey Island.
Since this one can't play US games, it's a bit sad that I'll have to go yo-yo between the two, but no big deal.

Mithos

radioheadrule83 said:
I'd say they would probably be looking more for pirated VC titles than homebrew channels and such, but who knows if they would bother to differentiate between the two.
If Nintendo kills the possibility to install pirated VC-Content, homebrew programs that you install as a channel will also be blocked since they use the same bug to install.

Homebrew thats played from SD-cards and NOT installed, will still be able to used through Twilight Hack.

Firestorm said:
Even IF the Wii could decode it, there is only 640x480p on component output I think.

radioheadrule83 said:
Did XBMC for Xbox support 720p videos properly? I seem to remember some scaling options.
Xbox with XBMC can NOT playback 720p movies, even 480p movies have serious issues (x264 + Quicktime format). But 960x600 HR-HDTV playback is just fine on Xbox with XBMC.

mugwhump

Wait, so how do I install the homebrew launcher channel? I tried it the same way I installed my other wads with the twilight hack+wad installer, and put the homebrew launcher wad in teh wad folder... is that all I'm supposed to do?

mugwhump said:
Wait, so how do I install the homebrew launcher channel? I tried it the same way I installed my other wads with the twilight hack+wad installer, and put the homebrew launcher wad in teh wad folder... is that all I'm supposed to do?

Yes, but if its the same channel I have, 0.4, then make sure you have SYSTEM and HOMEBREW folders in the root of your card or the channel won't load properly... it should still install, it just won't load right. These folders are normally packed with the wad.

Dash Kappei said:
Is it "perfect" emulation?
I mean, is it the same as playing VC's MD/Genny games?

I might do it to play some games, since I'm fucking sick of Pal VC Megadrive/Master System games (Sonic 1 and Gunstar Heroes are ridiculous... Sonic 3 is better but why the fuck the don't do proper PAL as Super Nintendo's games).

Also I hope at Hudson they realize it's time to fix the blur filter or... you know, who's buying the likes of Lords of Thunder if not the same kind of people who would be VERY interested in running a proper version of the game.

I'll still buy VC games though.
I just hope they'll up their game a bit.

Perfect?

Mmmm, I wouldn't call any emulation truly perfect.

But if you're asking if the games are full speed, with faithful graphics, controls, and sound emulation, then yeah, they're almost perfect. I think there were some problems with special chip games like Virtua Racing, and I think the sound effects might have been a little off on a couple of games, but it's about as good as it gets. It's just as good as Sega's Virtual Console emulator, imo.

mugwhump

So what's the difference between the homebrew launcher channel and the homebrew channel (the one with the 10 min time limit)?

Mithos

mugwhump said:
So what's the difference between the homebrew launcher channel and the homebrew channel (the one with the 10 min time limit)?

homebrew launcher channel = Twilight hack as a channel (just start whatever the boot.elf is on sd-card).

homebrew channel = channel with gui, lets you pick what homebrew to start from sd-card, has info about each app and more.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
has anyone had any luck getting the controls working with the game boy emu channel? i can't seem to figure out exactly what control methods are supported. . .

RetroMG

So I've been looking at this stuff a lot. Especially Wii Midia, which would be a great replacement for when my modded Xbox eventually dies. I've got to say, though, I'm nervous about trying all of this stuff. I don't want to brink my wii. Ideally, I was thinking of putting on a Homebrew launcher, and using that to launch NES and SNES emulators, maybe Scumm, and definately Wii Midia when it's out. How hard is all of this to do?

Also, I've heard the Homebrew Launcher is in French. Is Language an issue?

The Homebrew Channel looks neat, except for that 10 minute limit.

mugwhump

OMG wtf is up with this thread

It ate my post, why isn't my post showing up.

This post will probably also be lost into the void D:

I'm scared.

edit: yay my post is alive

batbeg

This keeps happening to me with threads... I can only see posts up to a certain date, and to see the rest I have to click reply then scroll down :-\

The thread is a bit screwy because of the recent database problems. It was restored from a backup, but a lot of the posts were missing... I think they may have been restored again since then.

I haven't checked on GENPLUS, I'll have to check that new release out myself though.

itxaka

Defeatist
Milpool said:
Here's what will probably be the final banner for the homebrew channel once released.

oh god the music, awful. The image is really nice but the music? I prefer a simple thing like the vc games sound.

The Media Center options are exactly what the Wii needs, however, I don't want to brick my console...

I tried to load the Media player software, but the link was dead. Just a heads up to the OP.

LivetoFollow said:
The Media Center options are exactly what the Wii needs, however, I don't want to brick my console...

I tried to load the Media player software, but the link was dead. Just a heads up to the OP.

Sorry for being so late in replying and updating the OP.
The links you were trying are hosted at a site that uses referrer blocking -- ie. it won't allow the downloads unless you download it from a page on their site. Well, to get around that, either:

-- click and drag the link(s) to your address bar / tab
or
-- use Firefox and disable referrer forwarding

For now, I've placed notes next to all the links that this applies to. I will rehost these files with fileshare sites or something in the next couple of days so people can just click, and I'll also be checking to make sure I have the latest releases of software in the OP.

I've updated all relevant news up to today... although one thing I will add here. It sounds like some assholes at other forums were badgering dCiSo for a release date on Wii Miidia... he caved and gave a date for a test version, but has since reneged that post and stated he's not going to release it until he's fully ready. He's open to help and he's got one or two people willing to test for him, but its probably gonna be largely quiet on the Wii Miidia front if anyone was looking forward to it. He's gonna try and throw out occasional things about his progress and maybe a video or two. Some people at console-scene were doubting his credibility, but Bushing at hackmii.com has vouched for him saying he's been talking about networking troubles with him. Sounds like the final product will have everything we loved about XBMC, maybe including SMB sharing and stuff.

BitchTits

HUELEN10 said:
It is not definitely the case. I myself have gotten my Wii to work with a 4GB non SDHC SD card. As long as it is a 4GB SD card and not a 4GB SDHC SD Card, you should be fine.
Nice, thanks. I have a spare 2GB card, but I know how quickly we can fill these things up, nice to know people are also using larger ones.

Fireflu

me' thinks its time to purchase Twilight Princess (again), whats the cheapest place in the UK to get it? Ebays prices still seem a bit steep ;_ o_;

Top Bottom