• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do we think happened to Truman after The Truman Show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
truman-show-4.jpg

Bullet points if you haven't seen the movie

-He was adopted by a company, and his entire life became the most watched TV show in the world, with him as the unaware star.

-Every private moment of his life has been watched.

-Every relationship has been manufactured, with every person encountered an actor.

-Every event and scenario in his life has been designed around him.

-He is the most famous person on the planet.

-He escaped.

Happy Ending?

Truman escapes with a smile. But given the above, what happened next?

What I'd like to think

He sues the network for collosal amounts, arguing that (especially during the final days of the show) he was victim of false imprisonment and/or they commited breaches of human rights (Legal GAF - could he argue this?).

He uses his award to wage a campaign against the phenomenon of reality television, and the events of the movie never happen again.

What I think is probably more likely though

He is completely fucked up. He begins to take in the fact that his entire life is a lie. He becomes paranoid that he is still being watched, while legions of the Press stalk him. He doesn't understand a world not focussed entirely on him. He doesn't understand unscripted, imperfect relationships with flawed human beings.

Substance abuse, internment in a state facility and eventual suicide.

What do we think?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Bit-Bit said:
He met that chick from the beach and they lived happily ever after.
This. The rest of you (who are going to post) are cynical bastards. Go away GAF.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
In the unscripted real world, Truman realizes that he likes men. The subtle fire in their eyes, the awesome breadth of their masculine aura. He meets Vitor in a secret VIP dance club hidden deep within the New York City sewer system. He chooses the red mixed drink, which contains edible PCP. The television company security cops that preside over the entire city bust up the party with Truman narrowly escaping and Vitor getting nabbed by officers. Truman uses a nearby payphone to rally the troops. Having superhuman powers from the PCP, Truman manages to climb a 12 foot double razor wire security fence, and hijack an army helicopter. He uses the helicopter to burst into the cell they're keeping Vitor in. In the hyper-alert drugstate, it seems as if reality is running in slow motion, and Truman is able to easily avoid attempts to thwart the rescue by police. He saves Vitor and they return to the secret area beneath the streets, away from all the prying camera eyes.

theBishop

Banned
After repeatedly failing to sexually satisfy his dream girl, Truman attempts to reenter the tv world... and gets killed in a car accident on the way.

sky

Happy ending, of course.

While the things you mentioned might happen in "the real world", you shouldn't apply that logic to the movie's world. It's clearly fictional and has it's own rules. Apart from the cutaways to people watching the Truman Show, we don't really have a good sense as to what that outside world is like. It may be just as idealized as Truman's quasi-50's-era constructed world.

Either way, I think for the story to work you have to assume he lives a happy life afterwards.

Awesome movie, btw.

big_z

that girl dumps him after one week of getting out of the dome. truman now alone is left in a world he doesnt know. real world technology and general knowledge is completely foreign to him. his work skills are useless and he gets haggered by fans of the show everywhere making public appearance near impossible. all he can do is sit at home in a shitty rundown apartment he can barely afford, eating processed kraft cheese slices and pickles. eventually the pressures of reality become to much, he makes a picture of that girl who he still secretly loves and hangs himself while jerking off.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
kills himself...thats the only logical answer after the complete mind fuck that was his life.

Tobor

wenis said:
kills himself...thats the only logical answer after the complete mind fuck that was his life.
Yep. He blows his brains out while Ed Harris releases a bestselling book about the experience.

Sealda

Banned
Tries to sue the company, the company goes bankrupt before though. A long legal process against some of the people involved leaves him with 20 million USD. He goes on Oprah, 60 minutes, you name it. He writes a book and basically leaves as a celebrity the rest of his life. He also, becomes a big name in the protest groups against these kinda shows. Eventually the state makes a new law that makes these kinda shows impossible.

Kraftwerk

The whole movie is actually about God and freedom of choice and controlling destiny. Christof is God and Truman is a special human being with untapped powers. God has created this fake world to keep Truman become what he truly is, a God.

In the end Truman transcends to a higher state and unlocks all of his powers, God is powerless as you see in the end scene, where Truman just walks away from him easily.

The door he walks into is completely black, now how would a stairway not have lights? wouldn't that be dangerous? Well, the door actually leads to Nothing. Truman goes off to an empty dimension to create his own universe a.k.a AKIRA.

The End

/Philosophical Grim

The Cynic in me has to say some one in that situation would eventually end up in an insane asylum or commit suicide.

The Optimist in me says he met up with his dream girl, with her help (and the help of a professional psychiatrist) he adjusted to the real world and eventually sued the company for obscene amounts of money and lived happily ever after.

Pimpwerx

He was on his way to reunite with the chick from Ronin when he was spotted by a group of Truman groupies (which is like every woman in the world) who were prowling around the set upon hearing he was escaping. Truman quickly forgets how awesome Ronin was and instead embarks on his new life as the world's biggest player. He signs a major book and movie deal chronicling, not his extraordinary life as a corporate orphan, but his Wilt Chamberlain-esque sexual exploits that are so numerous the movie is made into an epic trilogy. Christof cry cry. PEACE.

Ashes

Banned
Psychologists name a mental disorder after him. Patients who believe that they are part of a reality TV show, are said to suffer the Truman Syndrome.
Oh wait, that really happened.

edit: My best guess is that he leads a fairly normal life; kind of like a celebrity that does not want to be in the public eye.

After Truman leaves he is accosted by Kristof and the network executives who get him to agree a deal to film a reality TV show based around Truman trying to cope with the outside world.

Dead Man

Pimpwerx said:
He was on his way to reunite with the chick from Ronin when he was spotted by a group of Truman groupies (which is like every woman in the world) who were prowling around the set upon hearing he was escaping. Truman quickly forgets how awesome Ronin was and instead embarks on his new life as the world's biggest player. He signs a major book and movie deal chronicling, not his extraordinary life as a corporate orphan, but his Wilt Chamberlain-esque sexual exploits that are so numerous the movie is made into an epic trilogy. Christof cry cry. PEACE.
I choose this one! :lol

Wiseblade

Here goes:

immediately after escaping, Truman meets up with his childhood sweetheart waiting for him outside. Together they realise that he is totally unprepared for life in the real world. His education, mostly an excuse for drama and stationery product placements, has left him too unskilled for even the simplest of jobs. His lack of knowledge about current affairs and modern technology also have him feeling alienated.

However, He soon receives a HUGE royalty and compensation check, effectively making him richer than God. needing to find a job becomes moot. The adventurer spirit within him is reborn, and he decides to take a trip across America with his new squeeze.

The problem is, he doesn't like what he sees. A cold, jaded and mistrusting world, where nothing seems fair. With the greatest of intentions, he sets up a charity to help the disadvantaged. Unfortunately, his lack of experience dealing with real people lets tons of people lie about their situation to make a quick buck.

When he finally catches on, he goes insane. Childhood-sweetheart-girl, decides the the real world is just too much fro him to handle and buys the old Truman show set, hires a new set of actors and tricks Truman into "moving" there.

now I've gone and depressed myself.

Ducarmel

I think a good publicist/lawyer gets to him sues the shit out of the network and producers, live the rest of his life experiencing the real world after some serious therapy of course. I would think I probably would have a very hard time trusting anybody in the real world if they knew I was a imprisoned reality tv star and did nothing to free me.

Arment

He is ruthlessly perused by highly trained special operatives. With little to no training himself he manages to thwart them over and over again until he eventually reaches the headquarters of the corporation that adopted and lied to him.

Making his way up each floor, defeating each mini boss with the appropriate strategy, he reaches the final boss and beats his ass to death. Then he escapes via helicopter, flying into the sunset.

Retrocide

After escaping and suing for massive back royalties and back pay he travels world. He is dismayed by the suffering any inequality he witnesses. He remember his time in his idealized made for him world and realizes that it was Utopia, and Utopia is possible for any man if they would turn their lives over to a higher power. He would be that power for the unwashed masses. And thus the cult of Truman is and it will set the world on fire.

Retrocide

D4Danger said:
The Truman show he knows about is actually part of a bigger Truman show.

T R U M A N

Sigh, that was pretty much the ending I wanted for the Matrix, for people who couldn't accept the normal Matrix, the "Trinity" Matrix would let those people live out their lives without wasting a valuable energy source. In the end Neo discovers the terrible...and the realization that if if told the trinity Matrix people the truth they would all die from despair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom