• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype "The Legend of Zelda Controller"

I'm not sure if this is threadworthy or not, but its such an obscure find I had to share it.

Do you remember the Resident Evil 4 Chainsaw Controller and the awesome Street Fighter 15th Anniversary pads?

chainsaw.jpg

4765c518ececd2e713faf526be6ebc6f.jpg

2af67b22644fd90999dccd9fbf90c384.jpg

f14548ebdaf9f3dbe2991b4c0f09bf77.jpg

They were made by a company called Nubytech, and designed by Alfredo Tato.

It seems Aldredo had a few other designs that didn't make it into production. As shown on his Behance portfolio, they had developed at least one "The Legend of Zelda Controller", complete with elaborate packaging and papers. Its certainly quite a sight.

Clipboard01.jpg

6961bce206ad9697c32498583aabaed9.jpg

ec14381c5aac57cbd73df3c2d50fd105.jpg

2e8f093dd9542e1f96dc7f2b8b0909c7.jpg

The packaging is pretty damn amazing. I want this on my shelf! And the controller itself?

e34c3975c7b6090343a56b14a7243143.jpg

Not so much. After all that, I don't actually like it at all. Its pretty unpleasant. I'm particularly averse to the logo in the bottom-left. But its certainly an interesting novelty.

I assume the intention was to sell it alongside Twilight Princess, as all the art and logos are from that. Either Nintendo weren't interested, or perhaps they commisioned the controller and were unhappy with the result.

If you explore further into the linked portfolio you can find some Mortal Kombat controllers that I don't recall being released, and some clear images of the custom artwork of SF characters made for the controller packaging.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah not only does that look like hell but I can't imagine it being any fun to use. The novelty of owning it would be cool though.

And is that a second Z button I see?

MikeE21286 said:
yikes...yeah, that book is 100x better than the controller. The controller's ugly as hell.

The book-box packaging design would be awesome for a twentieth-anniverary Zelda compilation package. On my bookshelf it woud look amazing.

Give that thing normal GCN controller handles, get rid of the lame art on the left handle and the leather strap on the right handle, and then you're talkin'...

Sometimes less is more.

The book packaging design is beautiful though. Aside from the giant Gamecube logos.

Mama Robotnik said:
The book-box design would be awesome packaging for a twentieth-anniverary Zelda compilation package. On a bookshelf it woud look amazing.

I would definitely pay good money for that

USD

Whimsical Phil said:
So wait...the idea was to have a metal buckle digging into your right hand as you play?

Makes perfect sense.
I'd assume it was removable, but the thing looks totally unnecessary regardless.

DonMigs85

It looks like Link morphed into a controller. Maybe they shoulda modeled it after Midna's mask or the wolf instead.

IrishNinja

it'dve sat on a shelf next to the RE4, Dragon Quest, onimusha etc controllers.

unlike my wu-tang controller, which is fantastic and only lacks dual analogs, tragically.

Agent X

Mama Robotnik said:
If you explore further into the linked portfolio you can find some Mortal Kombat controllers that I don't recall being released, and some clear images of the custom artwork of SF characters made for the controller packaging.

The Mortal Kombat controllers were released.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
aka 'the gimp' -- who knows what horrors its leg-brace conceals

nb, this is still more of a zelda controller than a touchscreen or a wii remote

Bear

Mandoric said:
Err, thirtieth?

The series is exactly a week short of 25 years from its first (Japanese) release, around 23 and a half years from it's NA release. NoA can probably still do a 25th anniversary, though I doubt they will.

Thanks for the namecheck Kotaku. As per usual a gaffer discovers something, other sites write the articles taking the credit, and include a tiny link in the footnotes as way of acknowledgement. Yeah I'm whining and I'll shut up now.

Agent X said:
The Mortal Kombat controllers were released.

I stand corrected.

Mandoric said:
Err, thirtieth?

We stand corrected.

lethial said:
Nice box but that is one ugly neckbeard display controller.

It looks like all the production values went into that beautiful box. The pad actually looks cheap, and thats its main problem. If it looked more like the render on the box, with a second belt-buckle thing instead of the silly Zelda logo, it would be more tolerable.

Top Bottom