• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katie Holmes dropped from Batman Begins sequel because of Tom Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
From IMDB, so take it with a grain of salt:
http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-06-21/#2

Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman have signed to star in a second Batman movie, but love interest Katie Holmes has been dropped. Movie bosses are thrilled with the response to Batman Begins - it took $46.9 million in its first weekend at the US box office - and have snapped up the film's stars for a sequel. Bale as Batman was the first to put pen to paper, followed by Caine as butler Alfred and Freeman as Bruce Wayne's business associate Lucius Fox. But Holmes won't reprise her role as district attorney Rachel Dawes - reportedly because Warner Bros is angry her engagement to Tom Cruise has stolen media attention away from the movie. A source tells Pagesix.Com, "Everyone is in agreement that the movie's strength is with Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman." Adding of Holmes, "She won't be in the sequel... the next romantic interest will be a much stronger actress. Warner is happy that people are now focusing on who'll be playing the Joker rather than Katie and Tom."

border

Not only did they ditch her, but they dissed her in the process ("we're getting a stronger actress"). They are pretty clearly unhappy.

-1 for another "love interest" in a Batman movie. Can't they think of some better way to attract female moviegoers?

Any word on whether or not Christopher Nolan has been signed back?

Regniws

Tom Cruise has to be the dumbest person I know. I hope he doesnt' get any more movies, and he is forced to become whatever scientology people become. I have no idea, they might become human tree's or paper weights. Blah, I used to like both of them as professionals... not anymore, i'm tired of all this crap. Next Batman love interest will be one of the Bush twins, as dubya tries to get his hands more into the movie buisness

hXc_thugg

backfire.jpg

mrmyth

r264283097.jpg

Yes! Soon she will have nothing left! Then I will consume her soul! Mwahahaahahaaahahaa1!111!

And what 's this I'm hearing about Scarlett Johansen getting booted off the next Mission Impossible movie after Cruise ambushed her with a bunch of Scientologists at dinner and she booked? Seems like everybody's willing to spill the dirt nowadays.

Travolta, you're next. You still owe me penance for Battlefield Earth.

Rachel Dawes basically added nothing to the story. It's almost like they shot the movie, screened it, realized it was "kinda gay" and shot the Dawes scenes later and spliced them in.

=W=

mrmyth said:
And what 's this I'm hearing about Scarlett Johansen getting booted off the next Mission Impossible movie after Cruise ambushed her with a bunch of Scientologists at dinner and she booked? Seems like everybody's willing to spill the dirt nowadays.
Seriously? Got a link? :lol

i luvs me some scarlett

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Right then, lets stop focusing on who will play the Joker and concentrate on who will play the love interest!

Everyone i want from a *fap* point of view cant really act (Alba), Kidman is a little too old for Bale me thinks.

Im gonna vote for Jessica Biel

jessica-biel.jpg

(Theres a much better image if you search for Biel on google but im affraid to post it)

Sure she cant really act either but she's so pretty i dont care.

Actually screw that, i forgot about the Scarlett thing, use her, she can actually act.

Anyone seen this article over at Foxnews.com??

Very interesting read. I have to say that I was one of the people who didn't feel ths was a publicity stunt, but the story does get stranger and stranger all the time. Disappearing for 16 Days seems extremely odd for someone who has a high profile life and a regeimented schedule. Than again, perhaps they hit it off right away, one thing led to another, and the two shacked up for two weeks screwing like rabbits. ;)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Why would Warner Bros. diss an actress's performance in a movie that's theirs and still fricken' playing in theaters? Seems a little counter-productive.

Willco

Hollywood Square
trippingmartian said:
Rachel Dawes basically added nothing to the story. It's almost like they shot the movie, screened it, realized it was "kinda gay" and shot the Dawes scenes later and spliced them in.

Except not.

I've been saying this all along...

Willco on 06-15-2005 said:
I find it hilarious that in every interview I see, Christian Bale praises the entire cast of Batman Begins -- except Katie Holmes. I get the feeling that Warner Bros. and the rest of the cast are kind of annoyed with her and Tom Cruise as well.

Willco on 06-15-2005 said:
Before this whole Tom Cruise/Scientology/Fucking Up the Press Junket tear Katie Holmes has been on, Warner Bros. wanted to keep her on for the sequels. Since the D.A. is now dead, it gives an entrance for Harvey Dent, who'd they'd like to build up for the final trilogy installment and rumors circulated of her having a relationship with Dent. Love triangle. Woo!

Although, her recent tailspin into publicity cancer, going as far to recommend War of the Worlds on a talk show when she was supposed to be promoting Batman, might scare top brass at WB out of it.

tedtropy said:
Why would Warner Bros. diss an actress's performance in a movie that's still fricken' playing in theaters? Seems a little counter-productive.

Because it's not on the record, fool. Nobody is going to come out and say it, but we've all heard whispers that they're unhappy with her since before the movie was released and now they're just getting louder and louder.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
tedtropy said:
Why would Warner Bros. diss an actress's performance in a movie that's still fricken' playing in theaters? Seems a little counter-productive.

Because nobody read this shit but us.

quadriplegicjon said:
thats actually pretty freaky . i wonder where her friend is?

Yeah, it is kinda freaky. Makes you wonder if they were subjecting her to some sort of Scientology brainwashing session. For her to expunge everyone from her life like that so abruptly is really odd to say the least, and puts a different spin on all this talk about their relationship.

Edit: It was also interesting that there was a producer in New York, who she knew and worked with, who was "too afraid to discuss" the questions.

sol5377

If anything, they should get Jessica Biel to be Batman's love interest *and* be Clayface at the same time!

75850GLNK_w.jpg

2 birds... 1 big, fat ass stone.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
This is great for me because she was definitely one of my complaints of the first movie. The relationship was too sappy and she acted more like a mentor when she was the exact same age as Bale's character. I'm not sexist but I think I would prefered an older actress in the role if she was going to try to teach Bruce so many "lessons" and also be non-romantic.

I for one do not want to see Scarlett as the love interret in the next Batman. Don't get me wrong, I think she is hot, and a better acctress than Katie Holmes, but she is far too young for Bruce Wayne. She's four or five years younger than Holmes. We need someone who is older and can match the rest of the cast in their acting chops.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I for one do not want to see Scarlett as the love interret in the next Batman. Don't get me wrong, I think she is hot, and a better acctress than Katie Holmes, but she is far too young for Bruce Wayne. She's four or five years younger than Holmes. We need someone who is older and can match the rest of the cast in their acting chops.

Bruce is a player. He can buy cars, hotels...and GIRLS!

It doesn't matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom