• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a gif, scariest scenes in horror films (spoilers)

tumblr_nuzivfCjnM1ry46hlo1_400.gif

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Rydeen

I'll have to watch The Leopard man now that I know its pedigree. Cat People is one of the GOAT horror films.
Also check out Night of The Demon, also directed by Jacques Tourneur. Wasn't produced by Val Lewton/RKO but it is also excellent. Make sure it's the 96 min UK cut and not the 81 min US cut.

hmm... just realized that music and sound effect probably contribute a huge part of the scare factor. these gif didn't look like they're as scary as the poster said. maybe next time I tried playing horror game (I'm weak at them) I should play them without sound or just at low volume. I have a bunch of them that I never finish because I just couldn't do it

Bulzeeb

Not really a horror, but this scene from Communion spooked the hell out of me as a kid.

V0z_46.gif

ocqRX2.gif

one of the few interesting bits of this movie, by the end of the movie my friends and I were laughing our asses off

on topic, not a movie but the episode of the soildier and the death from Jim Henson's the Storyteller made me have nightmares for a week

czVoMj.gif

soldier4.gif

soldado5.jpg

couldn't find a gif, but I really recommend that show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VZv7pQ2ck8

production_ST-feature1.jpg

giphy.gif

The Mothman Prophecies, this movie has always really creeped me out.

I'll have to watch The Leopard man now that I know its pedigree. Cat People is one of the GOAT horror films.

If you get TCM, they show the spooky films that Val Lewton produced every October and most of them are worth watching imo.

rashbeep

Banned
I've never seen the film, but taken out of context this is hilarious.

even funnier when you read the actress' story on how she came up with her facial expression

"Oh, no. He had an idea of what he wanted. David was going over the facial expressions. I did a couple, and he’s sitting there with me, and he says, “No. Nothing like that at all.” And, ya know, David Lynch is really hot, and I’m looking at him all dreamy-eyed, and he says to me, “That’s it: the look, Bonnie!” So I get up and I do it behind the dumpster, and David says, “No, do what you did before.” And I said, “Well, it’s really easy when I do it with you, David.” So guess what? He did it with me. He stuck his head [out], and I came out and looked at him. So when I put out my head, I saw his face."

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Long armed Freddy had a good unsettling/goofy vibe to him.

wVMmN2h.gif

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Good jerky stop motion/animatronics are usually the go-to for me. Just the right amount of off.

adrv0sv.gif

The Taking of Deborah Logan. I have never seen an ending come so deep from left field.

Man, that's the only good part of the movie and I watched it solely based on that gif. The rest of it is just pretty boring and the characters are all so annoying. If that gif piques anyone's interest, by all means watch it, but you've seen the best part in that one gif.

zeemumu

What's the context to this? Is that an alien, or like a demon?

I remember seeing this gif before and it was extremely uncomfortable to watch. Just wtf, so creepy.

She's possessed by some dude who worshipped a snake demon (that's why her jaw is unhinged) and he's trying to use her to transfer his soul into that girl

LifEndz

tumblr_ojt81zTIe81u501aoo1_400.gif

Scared the fuck out of me as a kid. The goddamn movie title probably speaks for itself.

"Why, tonight's the anniversary. Worst accident I ever seen. There was a sound...like a garbage truck...dropped off the Empire State Building...."

Yeah, this scene fucked with me as a kid too.

I like suspense and unsettling horror, but that sorta thing doesn't necessarily translate well to gifs.

On the other hand, body horror just grosses me out so I hate it, but it works really well for fucked up gifs.

There is one scene that has stuck with me for a long time.

In one of the Nightmare on Elm St movies, I think maybe 3 or 4?

There is a girl who lifts weights and hates bugs, so in her nightmare she turns in to a cockroach in absolute 80's practical effect body horror heaven.

In particular the shots where he arms break and the other where her face peels off are really fucked up.

I'm not posting them because I do not wanna see that shit again. Go google that shit yourself.

Maybe they haven't aged well or they look silly in retrospect, but I had a lot of trouble getting that shit out of my head.

Limit

Shouldn't have checked this thread before going to sleep. Now every single noise in my apartment is startling me. Crap.

I miss those crazy 80s/early 90s movies and shows like tales from the crypt.

Yeah I definitely miss that mix of comedy, scares, and batshit crazy story ideas. Creepshow though, is still the gold standard for EC comics on the big screen. I dont think any other film has captured the tone, stories, or visual flair of the comics as well.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I've seen this posted many times before, but it looks so stupid. Was it better in the actual film?

The quick part right there comes after a long and tense static shot of that nurse wandering alone from room to room doing her nightly routine checking things out. Then the quick zoom. It works really well in context.

I recommend trying to find the full scene.

leakey

Christ that transformation at the end of The Fly always makes my stomach churn.

Sound really did make some if these scenes.

tumblr_ni155ndkAI1s6a1fio2_400.gif

Dolls from Barbarella haunted me for a while after watching it as a kid.

even funnier when you read the actress' story on how she came up with her facial expression

"Oh, no. He had an idea of what he wanted. David was going over the facial expressions. I did a couple, and he’s sitting there with me, and he says, “No. Nothing like that at all.” And, ya know, David Lynch is really hot, and I’m looking at him all dreamy-eyed, and he says to me, “That’s it: the look, Bonnie!” So I get up and I do it behind the dumpster, and David says, “No, do what you did before.” And I said, “Well, it’s really easy when I do it with you, David.” So guess what? He did it with me. He stuck his head [out], and I came out and looked at him. So when I put out my head, I saw his face."

Hahahaha. It's that hair. God, I wish I had David Lynch's hair.

It is and if you haven't seen Don't Look Now then this is a HUGE spoiler and I'm almost upset this spoiled the movie for you because it's very good.

I was spoiled on this scene before watching the movie but still came away loving it. It would have been very shocking though I admit to have gone in blind.

Top Bottom