• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U resolution/fps reference thread

Often throughout GAF, I see video games claimed to be a certain resolution and frame rate when they are not. I think it would be good to have a thread with an OP that has a list of games and their resolution/frame rates for reference. Technical performance and speculation on upcoming games can also be discussed.

Confirmed

[Source] Rayman Legends - 1080p | 60 fps

[Source] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1080p | 60 fps *frame drops heavily, averages around 38fps*

[Source] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 1080p | 30 fps

[Source] New Super Mario Bros. U - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Super Mario 3D World - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] The Wonderful 101 - 720p | 60 fps *frame rate drops heavily*

[Source] Nintendo Land - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Sonic Lost World - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge - 720p | 60 fps *frame rate drops heavily*

[Source] Pikmin 3 - 720p | 30 fps

[Source] Zombi U - 720p | 30 fps

[Source] Assassin's Creed 3 - 720p | 30 fps

[Source] Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition - 720p | 30 fps

[Source] Need for Speed Most Wanted U - 704p | 30 fps

[Source] Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - 640p | 60 fps *frame rate drops heavily*

Unconfirmed

[Source] Mario Kart 8 - 1080p | 60 fps **

[Source] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 1080p | 60 fps **

[Source] Bayonetta 2 - 1080p | 60 fps **

**It is llikely that most of the games above will turn out to be 720p/60fps once they are tested, given the Wii U's hardware.

--

Will add more as time goes on.

UNCMark

Banned
Doesn't the word "locked" mean it never drops below 60 FPS? As much as I love SM3DW, it is not locked at 60. Capped at 60 maybe. Locked, no.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I've always wondered, but when people say locked 60fps do they mean that the FPS is locked since it can spike higher than 60 and then make it seem like it's inconsistent?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I can confirm this, although it's only happened once and it maybe dropped to 55 at worst.
I'll see if I can remember the stage, and re-create the situation.

You are suggesting that you are capable of noticing a temporary 5 frame or less slowdown from 60?

Okay.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It means that it can't go above 60 (or whatever it's locked to)

Eh, not really. Capped is the limit, locked is what it stays at.

New Super Mario Bros. U definitely drops.

720p native, hugely variable framerate. Aims for 60, can drop (I think) sub 30. Bounces around something shocking depending on the encounter complexity.

UNCMark

Banned
If you can provide evidence, then I will happily change the OP.

There's probably about 10 instances of very noticeable slowdown that I had while 100 percenting the first 8 worlds. None affected gameplay dramatically, but the drop from 60 to what appeared to be 15-25 was jarring. The most recent example was in Star 1 when Plessie rides through a group of the little M&M-looking enemies.

The game is masterful, but I do have a problem with Eurogamer claiming a game is 100 percent 60 FPS when it clearly isn't, and they would have known that if they played all of it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What you think may be a frame rate drop is maybe how the animation looks in that instance.

I'm guessing that's it. I was able to get the frame rate to feel like it dropped for a split second in the first stage, when pouncing on a goomba with the cat suit in that part right before the clear pipe that takes you to the second half of the level, but it was probably the animation. That's the only instance where it's felt like the game might not have been at a completely consistent 60fps for me.

NateDrake

There's probably about 10 instances of very noticeable slowdown that I had while 100 percenting the first 8 worlds. None affected gameplay dramatically, but the drop from 60 to what appeared to be 15-25 was jarring. The most recent example was in Star 1 when Plessie rides through a group of the little M&M-looking enemies.

The game is masterful, but I do have a problem with Eurogamer claiming a game is 100 percent 60 FPS when it clearly isn't, and they would have known that if they played all of it.

I never saw anything drop that big in SM3DWorld. That is a huge drop and something DF/Eurogamer would have noticed immediately.

brobban

You are suggesting that you are capable of noticing a temporary 5 frame or less slowdown from 60?

Okay.

You're saying you can't?.. should check your eyes..

From the Eurogamer analysis
fps_zps97488557.jpg

UNCMark

Banned
I never saw anything drop that big in SM3DWorld. That is a huge drop and something DF/Eurogamer would have noticed immediately.

The biggest drop I can remember was in one of the secret green pipe rooms where it pops out an invincibility star and you smash a bunch of goombas(I think I'm remembering that correctly). If you hit them all together it slows down a ton. I remember that instance clearly because it was one of the few times the slowdown affected controls.

fred

You might want to add Bayonetta 2 to the unconfirmed list, 720p native 60fps without any drops in framerate, although that was just the demo.

V-synch is also enabled on all of those titles in the OP afaik too.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You're saying you can't?.. should check your eyes..

Do not be absurd. Such a drop is categorically invisible to anyone who plays games without a giant FPS graph overlaying them.

I would suggest that if the original poster truly noticed something, it was either an intentional in-game effect that was misconstrued as an FPS drop, or if it was indeed an FPS drop, it was certainly more than 5 frames.

brobban

Do not be absurd. Such a drop is categorically invisible to anyone who plays games without a giant FPS graph overlaying them.

Far from it..
I've played the game, and noticed it several times.
Drops become very visible when the framerate is as smooth overall as it is in SM3DW

Eh, not really. Capped is the limit, locked is what it stays at.

Wouldn't "(100%) stable" be a better word? To me, locked and capped are pretty much synonymous, because the act of locking the framerate is the same as the act of capping the framerate. You can't cap or lock the framerate upwards.

I think "XXfps locked" falls in the same category as "maxing out PS4" etc

scitek

What you think may be a frame rate drop is maybe how the animation looks in that instance.

No, in certain instances - mostly water levels from what I've seen - the game literally runs at a slower speed because the framerate drops. It's incredibly noticeable when it happens. It's rare, though.

Ninja Dom

Trine 2, 720p 30fps locked.

I think DF got the two Call of Duty games in their tech analysis. Single player & Multiplayer.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The biggest drop I can remember was in one of the secret green pipe rooms where it pops out an invincibility star and you smash a bunch of goombas(I think I'm remembering that correctly). If you hit them all together it slows down a ton. I remember that instance clearly because it was one of the few times the slowdown affected controls.

I wonder if that's the intentional frame stop stuff that Zelda does a lot. I would need to recheck.

Far from it..
I've played the game, and noticed it several times.
Drops become very visible when the framerate is as smooth overall as it is in SM3DW

He's not saying ther there are no drops, or that you can't notice the drops. He's saying you can't say they are 5fps drops, because there is no way your eye could tell that the drops were 5fps.

Wouldn't "(100%) stable" be a better word? To me, locked and capped are pretty much synonymous, because the act of locking the framerate is the same as the act of capping the framerate. You can't cap or lock the framerate upwards.

I think "XXfps locked" falls in the same category as "maxing out PS4" etc
I think locked and capped can still be used. To me locked means to stay at that frame rate it doesn't dip below 60 or go above it,it's locked in place. Capped to me means the frame rate can fluctuate but can't go above 60,like it has a lid on it.

brobban

He's not saying ther there are no drops, or that you can't notice the drops. He's saying you can't say they are 5fps drops, because there is no way your eye could tell that the drops were 5fps.

Sure about that?
"Such a drop is categorically invisible to anyone who plays games without a giant FPS graph overlaying them"

Top Bottom