• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

I wasn't able to play much of the demo, and while I liked what I saw, I still like and hope to hear from folks who I trust when it comes to racing game 'feel.'

I'm sure they will like the feel. It's one of the most satisfying handling models I have played in recent memory.

Just so I'm clear as I didn't get chance to play the beta. This is an online focused game with no traditional GT single player collectathon?
The focus shift from collectathon to racing. Even the offline portion of the game is focused on teaching you dfiving skill and various challenge events that range from a quick mission where you need to overtake opponent, to full 30 laps endurance mission

Motion controls are awesome. Highly recommend them.

Gamespot is not picking up what PD is putting down, that’s for sure.

Don't get me started on the inclusion of fashion label (and GT Sport sponsor) Tag Heuer next to car manufacturers in "Brand Central," the place you go to buy cars and explore the history behind them. Seeing a watchmaker get the same treatment as a car designer in a racing game isn't harmful, but it makes you question where its priorities lie.

Clearly their racing knowledge is pretty poor else they would understand the inclusion. TAG have been the go to brand for professional timing for a long time now.

c0de

Is this considered Gran Turismo 7 or that will be after Sport?

This is THE next Gran Turismo and potentially, if it doesn't fail too hard (which it won't - the name itself will make it sell a lot and reviewers already seem very positive that you are tought how to drive), this is what the series will be in the future.

FeD.nL

Sport is supposed to be the next generation of GT, the plan is that they are going to iterate on this for the foreseeable future, so a sport 2 is more likely than a GT7 (though sales will probably dictate if it will happen that way or not).

Fukuzatsu

Yeah, I don't know, they said the only thing you can do offline is arcade mode, but I don't know of that means you can only do arcade mode if you don't have ps+ though.

Hard to say, because the arcade mode was limited in the beta, and nothing was available to play offline, since it was a timed demo.

GHG

Gold Member
Clearly their racing knowledge is pretty poor else they would understand the inclusion. TAG have been the go to brand for professional timing for a long time now.

Yep TAG have a long history with Motorsport and have been producing timing devices for races for donkeys years. It's a really strange thing to get hung up on, especially considering the game even gives you information on the brands inclusion.

I mean TAG is even the "engine provider" of the Redbull F1 team, granted it is just a rebrand of Renault but that shows their deep investment in racing.

Loudninja

Push Square review in progress
We really like the game, but it’s still early days. To be fair, the campaign which has come under so much scrutiny does seem somewhat meatier than it’s been given credit for – but obviously it lacks that rags-to-riches progression that has been a part of Gran Turismo’s DNA for decades now. The track selection seems lacking in real-life locations and there are many notable omissions in the vehicle roster – but Polyphony Digital has pledged ongoing support for the title.

The package shines in other areas: the online racing format may be ripped wholesale from iRacing, but it works very well. Bizarrely, there’s a real sense of occasion each time you qualify for an event and take to the grid, and our experience of the multiplayer thus far has been buttery smooth. What’s most impressive is how courteous people are: you can play bumper cars, but you’re going to kill your etiquette rank and ultimately get matched with other idiots long-term.

Instead, there’s a strange kind of buzz when you’re jostling for lowly positions such as eighth, bumper-to-bumper with a Frenchman. Take him cleanly in the final corner and, even though you won’t be picking up a podium place, there’s an unusual ecstasy associated with these very personal battles that few other racers manage to replicate. Gran Turismo’s slogan, “the real driving simulator”, has always suggested that it’s perhaps weak in the racing department – but with real consequence and human intelligence, the online focus here brings a very agreeable competitive flavour to the franchise for the first time.
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/10/site_news_gran_turismo_sport_ps4_review_-_wheres_our_verdict

On paper this is a 6, on the track its a 9. Nothing feels this good and this smooth on the dualshocks, and its just polished to a shine and stylish across the board. And on a Pro with the Quality preset the IQ is as good as it gets, all at a locked 60fps (w/ Quality replays at 30fps). The audio here is also drastically improved.

This game grabs you real quick and knows how to hold on.

Damn it, I should be asleep right now. But I'm curious about these early reviews and reviews-in-progress.

Fromthe beta, this feel like the beginning of new GT GAAS platform. It didnt feel like a prologue where it's usually just a cut down version of numbered GT game. and if this new GAAS structure is a success, I dont think well ever see GT7.

Upinsmoke

What did the reviewer in eg mean when he said not full clutch SIM?

Like you don't need to use the clutch pedal to shift or What?

Feorax

Gamespot review is very odd. Seems to be reviewing the game against the idea of what the reviewer expected the game to be whilst also somehow not actually taking into consideration at all what the game actually is.

Then again, Gamespot are known for throwing out some absolute whoppers from time to time.

I imagine it depends on how well this one does. They probably want to turn Sport into a GaaS platform and ride for as long as possible.

Either way, this studio doesn't work fast, so this is the only GT game there's going to be for a few years to come.

Em3112

Neo Member
The demo was playable with controller but it lacked feedback in my opinion.

I think the real experience is with a good steering wheel.

benzy

On paper this is a 6, on the track its a 9. Nothing feels this good and this smooth on the dualshocks, and its just polished to a shine and stylish across the board. And on a Pro with the Quality preset the IQ is as good as it gets, all at a locked 60fps (w/ Quality replays at 30fps). The audio here is also drastically improved.

This game grabs you real quick and knows how to hold on.

Damn it, I should be asleep right now. But I'm curious about these early reviews and reviews-in-progress.

Yea, I was pretty down on the game due the car and track count and what I thought was just a bunch of quick license test for the campaign. The final game is so good though, all that's needed is dlc for more cars and tracks.

Also, the physics in the final game is so much better than the closed beta.

Fordy

The basic "career" mode is gone in favour of online racing both in terms of casual lobbies and ranked "sport mode". Offline career mode has effectively been replaced with an online one. Mind you offline AI in challenges and arcade can be quite aggressive - especially compared to previous GTs

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like something different, for a change!

Not Drake

Yep. I was expecting a review from Ars Technica but what I saw instead was an article on how limited the game is on offline mode instead of a review.

I fully expected a 4/10 at the end of the piece and left disappointed.

The point about GTS' heavy reliance on online is fair, but it doesn't outweight the positives in my opinion.

c0de

Anyways millions play the demo people know rather they like it or not I would think.

Of course. It's sad that demos nowadays merely exist. But then again, we can argue the value of reviews in every review thread (and actually, it happens very often for no use at all).

The basic "career" mode is gone in favour of online racing both in terms of casual lobbies and ranked "sport mode". Offline career mode has effectively been replaced with an online one. Mind you offline AI in challenges and arcade can be quite aggressive - especially compared to previous GTs
And even if you stick to Arcade mode and custom races (ie. not Sport Mode) there is still progression in terms of credits, XP, unlocks, and mileage that you can spend on cars and cosmetics.

Loudninja

Of course. It's sad that demos nowadays merely exist. But then again, we can argue the value of reviews in every review thread (and actually, it happens very often for no use at all).
True would be pointless to do lol some people just like hearing what others think.

When asked why Polyphony Digital chose to restrict so much usual Gran Turismo content to online-only use, a Sony representative referred us to the September blog post announcing the change. "The local save only contains hardware settings such as monitor resolution/HDR calibration, etc.," the rep a

Egida

Neo Member
So what's the offline campaign? No grand prixs like before? Buying cars and stuff?
The offline campaign consists of license tests and challenge missions. It's a lot more meatier than what you could think, but it doesn't substitute the old campaign at all. Just take a look at the car list. A traditional career mode is simply not possible.

80 will be the minimum review score imo. The biggest hurdle this game will be is lack of content. But no respectable reviewer will be able to deny the high polish and quality of those content thats available.

I wish PD have announce their dlc road map or schedule similar to how Driveclub does it. It will help lessen the lack of content problem imo.

Fukuzatsu

Even considering the 'online-focus', if true I can't imagine a good justification for this unless you're the sort of person who plays GT on a bunch of different PS4s.

Maybe for eSports (where the console isn't yours) this makes sense, but for the majority of players that sounds ridiculous.

Top Bottom