• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony partnership with Shanghai Oriental Pearl (Group) to launch PlayStation in China

http://static.sse.com.cn/disclosure/listedinfo/announcement/c/2014-05-25/600832_20140526_1.pdf
Google translate(i'm lazy,sorry)
Shanghai Oriental Pearl Culture Development Co., Ltd. and Sony Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary in China, Sony (China) Co., Ltd. signed a joint venture agreement in China (Shanghai) free trade zone jointly funded trials joint venture responsible for the production, marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation hardware, software and related services business in China.

Shanghai Oriental Pearl Culture Development Co., Ltd. and Sony (China) Co., Ltd. have agreed to jointly set up two companies were responsible for hardware and software products and services.

Well just like what i thought,they team up with Shanghai Oriental Pearl.
Though the announcement just said "Playstation",but pretty sure it will be PS4,and maybe PSV

I guess the release date won't be later than early next year

After MS and Sony,let's see when will Nintendo move

Doombacon

This is going to be a hard market for any of them to capture through official channels due to grey market and piracy. I'm interested to see what the marketing campaigns for MS and Sony in the region are going to look like.

Foshy

It was only a matter of time. No idea how the chinese market might respond though, and if it actually matters. The consoles are being sold there anyway, even if not legally.

After MS and Sony,let's see when will Nintendo move
I thought Nintendo was the first one of the big three to distribute their consoles under the iQue name in China, no? Maybe not the Wii U though yet, not sure on that.

It was only a matter of time. No idea how the chinese market might respond though, and if it actually matters. The consoles are being sold there anyway, even if not legally.

I thought Nintendo was the first one of the big three to distribute their consoles under the iQue name in China, no? Maybe not the Wii U though yet, not sure on that.

Yeah i mean home console,handheld(DS,3DS) already there

Sony will have a harder time than Microsoft, probably because of the Japan-China relations.
The Japan-China relationship isn't really a big problem for Sony in chinese gaming market.

Sony will have a harder time than Microsoft, probably because of the Japan-China relations.

Not really. At a functional level, the chinese gaming market doesn't care such biases much.

If there's anything from a political standpoint that's worrying for Sony, it's the Chinese government creating another full-blown anti-Japanese sentiment because of another dispute like Senkaku Island.

ColiBreh1

Banned
Google translation of Page 1 of the PDF:
Stock Code: 600832 Stock Abbreviation: Oriental Pearl Number: Pro 2014-016

Shanghai Oriental Pearl ( Group ) Co., Ltd.
About Sony ( China ) established a joint venture company - Notice

The Board of Directors and the Directors to ensure that this announcement does not contain any false ,
Misleading statements or material omissions, and the truthfulness , accuracy and completeness of the
Tam individual and joint responsibility .

Important tips:
 wholly owned subsidiary company Shanghai Oriental Pearl Culture Development Co., Ltd. and Sony Corporation
Signed a joint venture agreement in China , a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony ( China ) Co., Ltd. in China
( Shanghai ) free trade zone is jointly funded the establishment of joint testing company responsible for the production ,
Marketing Group, Sony Computer Entertainment Sony 's PlayStation hardware, software
And the provision of related services business in China .
 Shanghai Oriental Pearl Culture Development Co., Ltd. and Sony ( China ) Co., Ltd. agreed
Jointly set up two companies were responsible for hardware and software products and services.

A major joint issues
1 , Shanghai Oriental Pearl Solatube Culture Development Co., Ltd. ( intended ) :
Registered capital: RMB 10 million
The amount of investment ( investment ratio ) :

Google translation of Page 2 of the PDF:
Shanghai Oriental Pearl Culture Development Co., 5.1 million yuan ( 51% )
Sony ( China ) Co., 4.9 million yuan ( 49% )
2 , Sony Computer Entertainment ( Shanghai ) Co., Ltd. ( intended ) :
Registered capital: RMB 43.8 million
The amount of investment ( investment ratio ) :
Shanghai Oriental Pearl Culture Development Co., Ltd. RMB 1,314 million ( 30% )
Sony ( China ) Co., Ltd. RMB 3,066 million ( 70% )
The above two companies responsible for the game equipment production and marketing ; game software marketing, grant
Right , wholesale ; network services consulting and general business consulting services ; game development related technologies
Advice and services.
3, the operating period of ten years ; registered address in China ( Shanghai ) free trade test area .
4 , this investment without having submitted to the Board and the shareholders' meeting .
5 , this investment does not constitute a major asset restructuring and related transactions .

Second, the impact of foreign investment in listed companies
Sony Corporation is the world's commercial and professional audio-visual products , game products , communications products ,
One of the core components of the pilot and information technology fields. It is in the music , film and television, computer entertainment
And achievements online business is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company. Double
Agreed to by the term , the introduction of the world's most advanced PlayStation game series,
Software and corresponding services. The joint venture will be based on relevant government policies , the introduction of suitable Chinese State
Love and domestic players like game quality health products , and domestic game development team together
For promoting original products on the PS platform development, further improve the industry chain of

Google translation of Page 3 of the PDF:
To promote and facilitate with the vigorous development of the domestic game industry to contribute.
The joint venture will further strengthen the company in the content, creativity, culture, arts, tourism
Layout tour business, bigger and stronger cultural main industry.
Notice is hereby given.

Shanghai Oriental Pearl (Group) Co., Ltd.
May 26, 2014

moolamb

This is going to be a hard market for any of them to capture through official channels due to grey market and piracy. I'm interested to see what the marketing campaigns for MS and Sony in the region are going to look like.

I disagree. I think you have to understand China has been going through some pretty rapid changes in the past few years, especially with a rising middle class with decent purchasing power. You just need to look at the Apple craze in the country to see that consumers are willing to pay premiums for the best stuff.

If PS4 manages to maintain an image as 'the best stuff', I think they will do quite well.

gogogow

Not really. At a functional level, the chinese gaming market doesn't care such biases much.

If there's anything from a political standpoint that's worrying for Sony, it's the Chinese government creating another full-blown anti-Japanese sentiment because of another dispute like Senkaku Island.

It also doesn't help that Japan is also siding with Vietnam by giving them patrol ships.

DanSaxon

Does anyone have any predictions of the possible adoption rate of the next gen consoles in China ? Assuming MS launches first (July I think ?) Sony could be in for a rough time, or not depending on what the market is like.

Aren't these consoles already available on the grey market? Along with every other formed of media ripped and pirated in China?

What are the odds having an official channel will actually sell anything?

Does anyone have any predictions of the possible adoption rate of the next gen consoles in China ? Assuming MS launches first (July I think ?) Sony could be in for a rough time, or not depending on what the market is like.

My prediction?

Less than a million consoles sold in the first two year.

For both Sony/MS. Combined.

magenta

Another joint venture that is oh so common for corporations to get into the chinese market. I wonder if they had any conditions they had to agree to in order to get access into the market.

rrc1594

Their has been a lot of conflict with Chinese suing Japan companies over forced labour and things like that. Gamers my not care, but their still can be problems later on

gogogow

Aren't these consoles already available on the grey market? Along with every other formed of media ripped and pirated in China?

What are the odds having an official channel will actually sell anything?

You don't market your products if they are in the grey market. So Sony will now advertize their products and will be way more visibible for potential customers. And there's still no way to pirate PS4 and/or the PSVita. Even with the PS3, it's still not easy to do, like the Wii or 360.

Xbox one launch at September in China
I think Xbox one+PS4 won't sell more than 500k after 1 year

ZehDon

What's China's general reaction to strongly western-targeted hardware? Do we have anything for comparison in recent years? Japan generally seems to reject them outright, as seen with the Xbox and Xbox 360, so China's reaction will certainly be interesting. Of course, Microsoft still has the difficulty of selling an inferior console with little international momentum for the same price as its superior competitor that's still setting records.

Their has been a lot of conflict with Chinese suing Japan companies over forced labour and things like that. Gamers my not care, but their still can be problems later on

It's a problem if the government intervenes and raises a national-level shitstorm over it. Basically, a repeat of the Senkaku Island dispute.

What's China's general reaction to strongly western-targeted hardware? Do we have anything for comparison in recent years? Japan generally seems to reject them outright, as seen with the Xbox and Xbox 360, so China's reaction will certainly be interesting. Of course, Microsoft still has the difficulty of selling an inferior console with little international momentum for the same price as its superior competitor that's still setting records.

There's no straight answer to your question.

I'm interested to see how Chinese gamers take to consoles/ handhelds compared to Japan.

I wonder what the official price difference would be compared to the street price of an import too.

Lol. In 2012 when there were anti Japanese protests in Shanghai a Japanese film crew interviewed one of the protest leaders. They went to his apartment and almost every electronic device he owned was Japanese.

Raonak

Banned
The fact that PS3/4 have quite a few F2P games and that they're playable without PS+ seems to me like they'd have a better time there than MS.

Usobuko

Banned

You been quoted a lot but it's probably the opposite. The lack of Japanese games comparatively, especially licensed ones, would be an obstacle for Microsoft.

Sony also does a good job translating games in HK, Taiwan into chinese language. They have this edge there.

gogogow

I'm interested to see how Chinese gamers take to consoles/ handhelds compared to Japan.

I wonder what the official price difference would be compared to the street price of an import too.

Pretty sure the price will be simialr to the prices in HK. If not, they will just go to HK to buy there (which they are already doing by the way).

Spineker

Banned
This is a goldmine waiting to happen. Expect publishers to watch China with a keen eye to see what genre of games resonate with them the most.

We will see A LOT more of that type of game.

Ennoia

Banned
Chinese here, add some information FYI:

Both BestTV and Oriental Pearl are belongs to the same investment group, Shanghai Media & Entertainment Group, SMEG. So it is literally the same group using two subsidiaries to bring the rivals into China.

rrc1594

No, it's not.
This "chinese people aren't buying Sony/japanese tech" stuff is bullshit.

No one is saying they don't, but their has been government tension between them over Senkaku Islands (in Japan) and the Diaoyu Islands (in China). Many things like that, so say they sell their products no problem is asinine

You been quoted a lot but it's probably the opposite. The lack of Japanese games comparatively, especially licensed ones, would be an obstacle for Microsoft.

Sony also does a good job translating games in HK, Taiwan into chinese language. They have this edge there.

Maybe. I just assumed that with Sony being quintessentially, obviously Japanese that it would damage them there. If Sony were to go down the shitter, the Japanese government would bail them out. Part nationalised Sony wouldn't go over well either.

Sentenza

Who knows. It's China we are talking about, even a very limited market penetration could eventually count in MILLIONS.

China is an immense and prodigious market that will continue to be of ever growing importance.

Sony is smart to get on top of this and devise a solid strategy for success there.

No one is saying they don't, but their has been government tension between them over Senkaku Islands (in Japan) and the Diaoyu Islands (in China). Many things like that, so say they sell their products no problem is asinine

Japanese automobile sales continue to be strong, and has been growing after the initial dismal show during the height of the dispute.

There's definitely an influence, but impacts of the tension are clearly materialized only when the iron is hot. When things cool down, somehow buying Japanese products isn't a problem subsequently.

The dispute is still ongoing, but it's in a cool stage. The danger is for the heat to be turned up.

Bundy

Banned
Well....

Japanese automobile sales continue to be strong, and has been growing after the initial dismal show during the height of the dispute.

There's definitely an influence, but impacts of the tension are clearly materialized only when the iron is hot. When things cool down, somehow buying Japanese products isn't a problem subsequently.

The dispute is still ongoing, but it's in a cool stage. The danger is for the heat to be turned up.
There you go

Who knows. It's China we are talking about, even a very limited market penetration could eventually count in MILLIONS.

India, population of 1.2+ billion. BRIC. Growth economy. No console ban unlike China. English is widely spoken as a language. Low language barrier to games availability.

How does the most popular console in the world fare there after 10+ years in the market?

Flintty

Both BestTV and Oriental Pearl are belongs to the same investment group, Shanghai Media & Entertainment Group, SMEG. So it is literally the same group using two subsidiaries to bring the rivals into China.

7f3d3dd972ec544523d28eaa3c95eefb61029f16_full.jpg

I'm interested in what this can lead to, there's a lot of money to be made on gaming in China. Perhaps in 10 - 20 years time the Chinese could be making their own mainstream console?

Ennoia

Banned
My face when there's already five "Senkaku" in the first page of this thread.

It seems that some of you are caring too much about this issue even more than both Chinese and Japanese.

Seriously, there's no one even give that a fuck in more than 350 days during whole year, "the shit belongs to us" is nothing but a social justice agenda in both China and Japan. We have experienced too many social justice agendas due to dear communist so there's likely less than 0.001% people really buying this, and you won't be surprised that "shit storm" demonstration still could happen because there are too many people live in any city of China.

Top Bottom