• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Lagann Hen

Basically the most amazingly fucking awesome final showdown between two super robots/Gods since GaoGaiGar Final's final episode. The God of Mecha, as per His Holy Mysterium, follows this glorious treat, having blessed me at last with the capacity to like Nia a lot, by
again catching Nia up to Mecha Heaven and leaving Simon and Yoko single at the end.

Which sort of bugs me, because I am definitely a "Happy Endings are Best" kind of guy, but I also appreciate the series a lot more this time around, and also I get that part of the message is that things work out in spite of the losses. Which is what Simon's final speech is sort of about:
If he brought back the dead, it would be wrong.
Which means I sort of have to disagree with Yoko:
Simon kinda sorta was God at the end.

Also, SUPER GOD MECHS FOR EVERYONE!!!!
Yoko and Nia included.
Tengen Toppa Enkiduglu or whatever was the best, but Tengen Toppa Lazengann was also pretty awesome, as well as
TT W Yoko Tank.

I still think Yoko at least hooks up with someone again.
Screw y'all and yo kiss o' death.

Since I recently finished watching it, my thoughts:

As cool as epilogue arcs are, I prefer the ending of the first season(if you call it that, when they beat the Spiral King). It had a perfect resolution, not depressing as all hell as the finale, epic battles aside.

Watanote 2: best female protagonist ever.

Dat Pop'n Music SS.

Narag

Jewelpet Kira Deco! 6

tPoBuJIl.jpg

8E36yCLl.png

QtaCFjfl.jpg

Best teacher not named Onizuka.

Sapphie owns a bookstore? A challenger appears for best girl.Garnet's currently #1 but I can say Opal and Sapphie might be tied atm. Friggin lost it at super cut Coal.

Basically the most amazingly fucking awesome final showdown between two super robots/Gods since GaoGaiGar Final's final episode. The God of Mecha, as per His Holy Mysterium, follows this glorious treat, having blessed me at last with the capacity to like Nia a lot, by
again catching Nia up to Mecha Heaven and leaving Simon and Yoko single at the end.

Which sort of bugs me, because I am definitely a "Happy Endings are Best" kind of guy, but I also appreciate the series a lot more this time around, and also I get that part of the message is that things work out in spite of the losses. Which is what Simon's final speech is sort of about:

What really got me about that ending was
how Simon treated himself after kinda saving the entire universe and losing his wife and all that. Becoming a lone wanderer was not the path I expected this character to take. He had everything, and now he's got next to nothing. And he's totally happy and okay with that.

One of anime's finest. One for the history books.

fertygo

Guren Lagann's final form not being an actual final form and just being an attack in SRWZ2-2 is bullshit. I wanted to see a 3L Guren Lagann stepping on FLAGs.

What this shit? I'm on last phase.. NOOOOOO
Fix this on next game Banpresto, same thing with Gravion.

Jarmel

Banned
What really got me about that ending was
how Simon treated himself after kinda saving the entire universe and losing his wife and all that. Becoming a lone wanderer was not the path I expected this character to take. He had everything, and now he's got next to nothing. And he's totally happy and okay with that.

One of anime's finest. One for the history books.

Rags to riches and back to rags again.

thumbnail_9758.jpg

Also, SUPER GOD MECHS FOR EVERYONE!!!!
Yoko and Nia included.
Tengen Toppa Enkiduglu or whatever was the best, but Tengen Toppa Lazengann was also pretty awesome, as well as
TT W Yoko Tank.

I still think Yoko at least hooks up with someone again.
Screw y'all and yo kiss o' death.

Oh Yoko, you slay him!

So apparently I was informed of something that I haven't noticed for a while, but you know how Precure's have declarations (basically their little catch phrase). Everyone has a declaration in Doki Doki Precure, but only Cure Heart actually says her the entire time. Everyone else hasn't bothered to say it.

Rikka (when called into action as "Cure Diamond") - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/03/33/NEOGDS-91614.jpg
("I'll be the one to cool your rage!")

Alice (when called into action as "Cure Rosetta") - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/03/32/NEOGDS-91613.jpg
("Love makes the world go 'round.") - Actually, I like the longer version better which she also adds "Now, come let me nurture the love in your heart!"

Makoto (when called into action as "Cure Sword") - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/03/31/NEOGDS-91612.jpg
("I'll cut down your ambitions with the blade of love!")

The Declarations and products shown above states that they know they have declarations, and is more evidence for the bias of Cure Heart.

Blood-C episodes 1-6

Not enough gore yet, but I get a feeling there will be enough to satisfy me soon.

I am pretty sure the coffee guy is putting a fuckton of drugs in her drink.

Defuser

The World God Only Knows - Goddess Arc ep 2

Goddamn, do they really need to cram in over 9 chapters? Why cut out the parts which helps to conclude how Katsuragi determine who are the candidates?

I should have expected this when they blatantly show off who are the candidates in the OP which reflected in this episode since manglobe is cutting out the non-candidates segment.

Girls und Panzer 8-END

Wasn't able to post episode-by-episode impressions. Couldn't put it down. I'm starting to realize that I'm a sucker for anime about competitive sports and, when combined with adorableness, there's no stopping this marathon train. These last few episodes were a lot of fun! Tons of Tankery, tons of friendship. There were some really awesome strategies being used, like how they took down that
Maus
or how they used a fast tank to disrupt the enemy's formation. The matches always came down to the wire and they got pretty suspenseful. Ending was sweet but now I'm sad it's over.

Hey, lavalamp, did you ever watch that bonus/extra episode of Toradora?

I always hate watching those kinds of OVAs after I finish romcom animes. Since they pretty much are just "filler" and don't expand on what happens after the "happy ending" they kind of feel really SHMEH to watch after finishing the show.

Girls und Panzer 8-END

Wasn't able to post episode-by-episode impressions. Couldn't put it down. I'm starting to realize that I'm a sucker for anime about competitive sports and, when combined with adorableness, there's no stopping this marathon train. These last few episodes were a lot of fun! Tons of Tankery, tons of friendship. There were some really awesome strategies being used, like how they took down that
Maus
or how they used a fast tank to disrupt the enemy's formation. The matches always came down to the wire and they got pretty suspenseful. Ending was sweet but now I'm sad it's over.

Post anime depression go!

Sailor Moon 11

Sounds like it's calling for me! So yeah, Rei and Usagi are going at each other since they don't mix too well, then again, I'm surprised Ami can, but she's like an angel of brans or something.

I'm not sure if he's making a whorehouse or creating Legion. But yeah, they keep fighting while Ami decides to check on the Candy house. Rei's sensing abilities keep pissing Usagi off (jealous that you lack a skill?) They even fight over a kid to ride a mechanical bull.

I bet that kid is scared of women for life. So lets ride on a mini train, where SMUG DUDE ALSO IS! ALSO FINALLY! REI THINKS SMUG DUDE ACTUALLY LOOKS SIMILAR TO TUXEDO MASK! SOMEONE PAYS ATTENTION! So it WAS A TRAP! SURPRISE! And Ami's out of it. And then Illusions and fantasies happened, and as we see above, Tuxedo Mask is styling and profiling. Now then.... I know that they wear leotards, but I wasn't expecting this (nsfw). Even has a little butt dot on it. How lewd Rei. No making up at the end, but Rei has quite the inventory.

Jintor

I always hate watching those kinds of OVAs after I finish romcom animes. Since they pretty much are just "filler" and don't expand on what happens after the "happy ending" they kind of feel really SHMEH to watch after finishing the show.

Toradora's extra episode is kinda crap, but the ending is surprisingly... worth it?

survivor

Banned
Tamayura ~hitotose~ 8

So why are Hoboro and Shihomi living together? Are there hidden yuri undertones that I'm not paying enough attention to?

I'm starting to think that the Shouko from the previous episode isn't really a big deal and I should stop thinking about it.

Quasar

More disappointing than outright bad.

Amagami magic is dried up, I suppose.

I enjoyed PhotoKano somewhat. After the first couple of episodes. Just that it did suffer a bit from trying to force almost all the stories into single episodes rather than 2-4 episode arcs like Amagami. Maybe this just shows how desparate I am for more Amagami.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo 15

Rocking the matching bath robes in space. CountxAlbert, broz4lyfe.

Trippy atmosphere? Blue dude smoking hooka? Fuck Alexandre Dumas, this is some Lewis Caroll shit.

god albert, you're just a parrot for the count, echoing back everything he says without think, fuck.

lol this fucking old guy had a false arm and a pen in his arm that can access his mind? wtf. yeah, that totally wasn't unexpected.

oh shit laying down the law, Hede! This slow motion house of cards collapse just keeps on giving.

Aww poor Albert. Gets he heart dashed on Luna, gets his heart dash on Earth, gets his heart dashed in space. And yet he never learns.

god this music is fucking epic.

Hattori

Banned
Watamote 2

Tomoko you poor thing! She is just so goddamned adorable, and cute. Her facial expressions are just top-notch and hilarious. Great episode all around, but it really makes me feel downright bad for her at times.

Watanote

I don't really find much anime I really want to see nowadays, but a friend wanted me to see this, as it applied to both of us. I genuinely enjoyed it. The protagonist is not typical, and best of all, the show hits on a lot of thought processes people with social anxiety, like myself, go through to a tee. I hate to say it, but the show wasn't even exaggerating that much.

cjkeats

I liked it. The ending on it is good.

I liked it too. I didn't even know it existed until a few weeks ago, which has been months since I watched the show for the second time. It was a nice little reminded how much a liked the show and had a very nice ending.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Le Chevalier D'Eon 16

So after last episode's weird and gruesome finish, we're down a man. Hopefully only temporarily but after that number Durand did to his own arm, he may never be back at full strength again. Precarious situation. But you've only got one avenue: the queen of england knows shit about poets. Poets took your dude. You gotta go after the queen I bet.

Oh...fuck.
He's lost his arm...goddammit. And...like I thought Durand might be at the beginning, again return my suspicions of him turning, heh, "redcoat". Get it?!

And with that handshake...the two nations move towards a false war! oh boy

now that's a twist! But now we also know just who the Count of Saint-Germain really is. Him, Dashwood, and Max are the final bosses it looks like.

I think I called it that D'Eon is going to come close lose himself, just as Queen Mary and her sister actually did, but I don't think he actually will become like her.

Or we might have a revolt even within the Revolutionary Brethren? Interesting.

Valvrave the Liberator 10-11

Oh.

Well that was rape. And then she just accepted it. And then he was just like "Hm this was awkward" instead of being like "Sorry I raped you ='(" And then he proposed to her while other chick's dad died and she was ready to confess her love to him. And then next is the season finale.

This show is a show about things.

Sailor Moon 12

Jadeite is terrible with women.

AAWWW SNAP!
Dem implications
. Jadeite just keeps having a hard time with all the women. Rei rejects Usagi and takes Ami instead on the love boat, all aboard the yur---

Oh.

...anyway, laughed my ass off when Sailor Moon threw her friends under a bus when she asked why they only stole energy from lovers.

Have to say though, I appreciate the henshin sequences, they don't take forever, I can bother to watch these when it doesn't feel like a giant time sink just to do less violence... not like there's much violence anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom