• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero? Any Hype?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Orellio said:
Everything I've heard about it makes it sound like the better game. You use a real mp3 turntable (a la the Ion drum kit), Quincy Jones is attached to the project, and most importantly: It's not being made by Activision.
Hmm, I'd quite like to see this as well.

Looking forward to seeing both DJ Hero and Scratch. They can't be as horrible as Beatmania. I always thought that controller looked fun, but it was just kinda terrible. More like playing a piano than spinning.

joelseph

dallow_bg said:
Not my kind of funk and soul.

I used to DJ locally but it was exclusive to 60s singles of fuzz/funk/soul/rockers type stuff.

:lol You understand where House came from right?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
joelseph said:
:lol You understand where House came from right?
Funny you mention that as House music (really early House) is the only kind of EDM I listen to.
Still, even that is a bit too progressive for me.

joelseph

dallow_bg said:
Funny you mention that as House music (really early House) is the only kind of EDM I listen to.
Still, even that is a bit too progressive for me.

I grew up on house as well, will always be my first love. Just imagine how awesome this game would be if you were tappin' and scratching to Loose Joints "Is It All Over My Face".

dallow_bg

nods at old men
joelseph said:
I grew up on house as well, will always be my first love. Just imagine how awesome this game would be if you were tappin' and scratching to Loose Joints "Is It All Over My Face".
Think I'll dig that one out and put that on my player when I get home.
Thanks. :)

"Everything I've heard about it makes it sound like the better game. You use a real mp3 turntable (a la the Ion drum kit), Quincy Jones is attached to the project, and most importantly: It's not being made by Activision."

They are actually developed by the same company. Or rather, Scratch *was* developed by the same company until Activision bought them and put them onto DJ Hero. Hence the legal battle between the publishers of Scratch and Activision over the issue.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This better be one of the only SKU's and not be one of those yearly new hardware deals. If I buy the damn mix pad I don't want it to be obsolete in a year. And for the love of God if you do make a sequel make all the DLC work with each version and allow importing like RB does!

Oreoleo

Teknopathetic said:
"Everything I've heard about it makes it sound like the better game. You use a real mp3 turntable (a la the Ion drum kit), Quincy Jones is attached to the project, and most importantly: It's not being made by Activision."

They are actually developed by the same company. Or rather, Scratch *was* developed by the same company until Activision bought them and put them onto DJ Hero. Hence the legal battle between the publishers of Scratch and Activision over the issue.

Interesting. Wikipedia mentions in passing some sort of legal suit but I didn't know what that was all about.

peterb0y said:
From the six pages in GI, it seems like its somewhere in between the two possibilities you described. you do mix tracks, but I think the game gives you cues, and the scratching of the disc, i dont know how that works.
Ten-Song said:
From what it looks like in the Game Informer preview, it seems like they do have you mix tracks... but it's not like some natural thing you can do on your own. Everything still looks like it's basically "match this and do this when the prompt passes this point."
Thanks for the info. Will be interesting to see how this'll work.

billy.sea

Banned
Don't know if this is old or not, but a promo from Gametrailer show the full peripheral for DJ Hero, it is more than than the turntable, it shows the side that attached to it.

Gravijah

PacoDG said:
wtf, never heard of Bong-Ra & End.User. They remind me of RoG Hardcore Produktionz, which is a good thing. What the hell is up with this "breakcore" term.. what ever happened to gabber. Damn, I haven't listened to electronic music in a while.

:lol Yeah, it can be hard to follow. Speedcore, gabber, breakcore, subgenres WITHIN SUBGENRES! I just love really fast, complex music. Bong-Ra though is really awesome and worth checking out, Enduser has some really good songs but I'm not huge on him.

Edit: In regards to breakcore, just hit up the wikipedia article for basic information, I don't think you'd be looked down upon. :D

Teknopathetic said:

No - Scratch was being made by 7 Studios, who Activision purchased. FreeStyleGames, who Activision also purchased, are developing DJ Hero.

Mechanically it seems like it could be fun. Just comes down to price for me, and I need to see some video of how it all works/how much effect you can have on the music.

billy.sea said:
Don't know if this is old or not, but a promo from Gametrailer show the full peripheral for DJ Hero, it is more than than the turntable, it shows the side that attached to it.

Yep.

105aahe.jpg

The hardware looks better then that shitty render from a few weeks back.

The fact I assume Red Octane are making it helps too.

JonathanEx said:
No - Scratch was being made by 7 Studios, who Activision purchased. FreeStyleGames, who Activision also purchased, are developing DJ Hero.

And now they both get to make DJ Hero games FOREVER!

luffeN

oke, maybe i am LTTP, but what if you have to hold down one button to make one ringt turn? as to mimic the scratch move
please don't laugh

8bit said:
If only, I suspect this is more likely DJ The Outsider Shadow.

Ding. All this "Song Vs. Song" stuff makes me believe my dream of building "Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt" or "Napalm Brain/Scatter Brain" piece by piece is never going to fucking be.

-PXG-

Thank God I won't be working at GameStop anymore when all of the new music games come out. Last holiday was a fucking nightmare. We had STACKS of GH:WTs and RB2 bundles that went up to the goddamn ceiling. We had no room to move around.

LCfiner

Totally uninterested.

But, considering that all we've seen is the turntable, the game itself could shock and amaze

no, it won't. I was being polite

-PXG-

I read the GI article. The controls are much more complicated than GH, but shouldn't be too hard to pick up. This game wouldn't be so bad if there weren't a fucking torrent of these music games and their plastic toy counterparts.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
If only you could mix this tracklist with DJ Max Portable you'd have a great, intense DJ game.

DaFish

-Feel Good Inc." (Gorillaz) vs "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" (Marvin Gaye)
-"Jayou" (Jurassic 5) vs "Rockit" (Herbie Hancock)

I'm sorry but that right their is sexy (at least to me it is)

LCfiner said:
Totally uninterested.

But, considering that all we've seen is the turntable, the game itself could shock and amaze

no, it won't. I was being polite

At least you admit your opinion is based on almost nothing.

LCfiner

TheGreatDave said:
At least you admit your opinion is based on almost nothing.

what else do we have at this point?

the thread was asking about hype - the antithesis of substance. I gave my honest opinion.

LCfiner said:
what else do we have at this point?

the thread was asking about hype - the antithesis of substance. I gave my honest opinion.

"I have no hype" is different from "maybe it'll be good, LOL no it won't".

billy.sea

Banned
I am surprise Konami didn't jump on this (by bring over Beatmania) after seeing the success of Guitar Hero and Rock Band... instead they take the 'another band game route' with Rock Revolution.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
billy.sea said:
I am surprise Konami didn't jump on this (by bring over Beatmania) after seeing the success of Guitar Hero and Rock Band... instead they take the 'another band game route' with Rock Revolution.
5oik46.png

And it bombed.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I can't wait to see a demonstration of how the gameplay works. If it's any good, I could see myself buying this as the peripheral isn't huge like the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games.

LCfiner said:
don't be so damn defensive about a game.

it was a stupid joke. :lol

Ehh, I couldn't get away with making stupid jokes like that about a first party exclusive game without getting banned.

Again.

Top Bottom